What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

On The Clock: Redraft Pick 8.06 (1 Viewer)

At pick 8.06, I take

• Devante Parker

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Robert Woods

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Kirk Cousins (or Jimmy Garroppolo)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Jamaal Williams

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • CJ Anderson

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Duke Johnson

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Jordy Nelson

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other (please pick some one reasonable at the ADP and list in thread)

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
I will run this as a new series of threads for some redraft discussion. We will jump around through various parts of the draft and look at players in that tier that should be available. I'll use ADP data from Fantasy Football Calculator https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp to present some on the clock scenarios with polls as to who you would take. I am going to base this on ppr leagues because at this point I think they are the most popular but those of you in standard leagues feel free to vote and discuss what you would do "differently" in standard leagues.

I strongly encourage people to not just vote in the poll but discuss their choices.

Past Threads:

Pick 1.04

Pick 4.09

For this "OTC" thread we will move into Round 8. I know it may depend on what you did the first seven rounds but for the purpose of this exercise assume you are well balanced but have not pulled the trigger at QB yet (3/4WR, 3/4RB,  TE). Do you finally grab QB, or keep building up your RB/WR corp.? In my local league there's a possibility some one would grab a defense here to fill out there starting line-up, I do not think anyone here would do that (but you can vote other and explain if that would be the way you would go - no judgments ;) )

I realize once we get later in the draft it's more of a wide open field and you may "reach" but I think it works better is we list players in the ADP range and discuss... but feel free to go off the board with the "Other" option.

Isaiah Crowell - ADP 8.09

Obviously it depends on roster build to this point like you said, it also depends on if the draft is in the middle of a QB run or another position.  If there is 1-2 more stud QB's that I really like, then that's where I'd probably go, but otherwise Crowell is likely my pick. 

Michael Gallup would be my other choice but that's a reach at 13.09 ADP.  

Looking at fantasy football calculator for ppr--the 2 names that stick out to me are Andrew Luck and Allen Hurns.  If Luck is truly healthy--he has the upside to be a top 3 qb--as long as reports come in saying that he looks good--I'd roll the dice on him there.   Hurns could be clear WR1 for the Cowboys and once again--I like his upside at this position.   

Parker is done, and Nelson may be, so at WR I am eyeing Woods.  That doesn’t excite me, so I voted for Duke instead.  Receiving backs seem to be reliably underdrafted in PPR leagues, and while there is a messy committee ahead of him, Duke’s role has been set for years.  

This is the first time in any thread that I have discovered a positive in Hue not being fired...

I went with Robert Woods as I think he builds on last year and should lead the Rams in targets this year. People forget he was a highly drafted prospect because he did not do much early in his career in Buffalo - but a closer look shows that the Buffalo passing game was never much to talk about with Tyrod Taylor (or worse) under center.

Looking at fantasy football calculator for ppr--the 2 names that stick out to me are Andrew Luck and Allen Hurns.  If Luck is truly healthy--he has the upside to be a top 3 qb--as long as reports come in saying that he looks good--I'd roll the dice on him there.   Hurns could be clear WR1 for the Cowboys and once again--I like his upside at this position.   
Luck should move up the ADP ranks now that he's showing health and I almost included him with Cousins and Jimmy G (bit didn't want to overcomplicate that choice).

As to Hurns - I think it's too early at this point to know who their top WR will be but I think that's sound logic.

Other - Robby Anderson (ADP of 9.02 and pick #102), backup choice - Isaiah Crowell

I'm assuming my team consists of 3 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 TE at the moment. This is about the point in the draft where I'll begin to select players I'm fine with reaching for a little to make sure I get them. I'm not a fan of the RB's or WR's listed outside of Woods. I'd strongly consider QB here because I didn't land one of the premium guys and would probably double up on QB's. I think I could wait another round and still land two of Ryan, Phillips, Mahomes, Roethlisberger and maybe even Luck if he dropped.

I feel Anderson is the best RB or WR available at this spot in the draft and have no problem reaching a little for him. He's criminally undervalued and has a good chance to put up WR2 numbers with a floor of a solid WR3. I may or may not be happy with who I got as my 3rd WR in the draft so far. Anderson could easily slide in as my WR3 moving that other WR to the WR4 or flex spot. Crowell kind of fits this category as well and I'd be happy to have him as a RB4, maybe even as RB3.

I've enjoyed reading these topics/series so far. One thing I've noticed though is we're supposed to assume PPR league setup but the FFC link takes you to non-PPR ADP. Not a big deal and it's probably the default setting FFC gives us when we click on an ADP link to their site. Overall great work by the OP, keep up the great work  :thumbup:

I'll go Jamaal Williams.  Jones is dinged in camp and suspended.  Williams put up 141/522/4 plus 21/224/2 receiving in the final 8 games last year.  That's more proven production than you're supposed to get for an 8th round pick. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Other - Robby Anderson (ADP of 9.02 and pick #102), backup choice - Isaiah Crowell

I'm assuming my team consists of 3 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 TE at the moment. This is about the point in the draft where I'll begin to select players I'm fine with reaching for a little to make sure I get them. I'm not a fan of the RB's or WR's listed outside of Woods. I'd strongly consider QB here because I didn't land one of the premium guys and would probably double up on QB's. I think I could wait another round and still land two of Ryan, Phillips, Mahomes, Roethlisberger and maybe even Luck if he dropped.

I feel Anderson is the best RB or WR available at this spot in the draft and have no problem reaching a little for him. He's criminally undervalued and has a good chance to put up WR2 numbers with a floor of a solid WR3. I may or may not be happy with who I got as my 3rd WR in the draft so far. Anderson could easily slide in as my WR3 moving that other WR to the WR4 or flex spot. Crowell kind of fits this category as well and I'd be happy to have him as a RB4, maybe even as RB3.

I've enjoyed reading these topics/series so far. One thing I've noticed though is we're supposed to assume PPR league setup but the FFC link takes you to non-PPR ADP. Not a big deal and it's probably the default setting FFC gives us when we click on an ADP link to their site. Overall great work by the OP, keep up the great work  :thumbup:
Yeah, I click on the ppr button from that link. I tried to link directly to ppr but it keeps defaulting to non.

Went for Parker here. Know the feedback from camp has been mediocre at best but opportunity is there. Landry is gone and RT is a decent QB. There are lots of available targets and Parker has the physical tools to be really good. Not overly worried about a flameout here, as there will be opportunities later in the draft to take a safe WR3 type with a higher floor but lower ceiling. No issue gambling in the middle rounds for me. Plenty of opportunity to self-correct going forward.

Went Woods. I don't like Parker at all, he's a perennial disappointment. 

I wouldn't go QB just yet, seems like there are some decent talents there that will probably be there round 9. If I've got 4 RBs I'm likely not going RB here. I don't like Williams or CJ. Maybe Duke or Crowell, but Woods has potential to start weekly. 

I'd be looking at Jordan Reed (8.05), Isaiah Crowell (8.09), Robby Anderson (8.10), or Andrew Luck (9.05).

Reed and Luck are both boom-bust guys who would be going way earlier if their health was guaranteed. By this point seems worth taking the risk to go after a guy with a legit shot to be top 3 at his position, although it would mean that I'd probably have to draft a backup.

Robby Anderson is the WR that I like most here, again based on upside. He's going into his 3rd year and could have better QB play than last year, so he has a shot at improving on his out-of-nowhere WR2 numbers. Parker has disappointed too many times for me to be excited about him, and guys like Woods have less upside IMO.

Crowell I like more than the other RBs here if I'm thin at the position because he seems to have a firmer handle on a big workload. That pick would be more about positional scarcity than upside. If I already have 3-4 solid or better RBs then I look elsewhere at this pick.

Since I need to pick one, I'll call it WR Robby Anderson.

Woods. By far the most reliable WR on the board and you should be able to get one of the RBs in the next round. 

Round 8 is still too early for QB for my taste and no TE stands out either. 

I voted "other". And that other would be the Jaguars D. Laugh all you want, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of all the other team defenses. Did you know that the Jaguars team defense outscored the likes of AJ Green, Doug Baldwin and Jordan Howard last year ? And I do believe that they have improved since last season. Having a "set it and forget it" defense allows you to not have to worry about match-ups or playing the "rent-a-defense" game each week. 

Voted "Other" and taking RB Nick Chubb

• Hue Jackson likes to ride his running game, even with his teams going 1-31 the past 2 seasons. Crowell's gone and Duke only had 82 carries last year after getting 73 in 2016.
  • Carlos Hyde is a factor but he started 7 games in 2015 and 13 in 2016. He's not a proven 16 game a year RB just yet and offers a lot of the same traits that Chubb has. If Hyde goes down, Chubb has the obvious inside track to a huge role.
  • Chubb, prior to his college injury, was arguably the most talented RB in the 2018 NFL Draft Class. He carried the ball 223 times last year for a guy, Kirby Smart, who's seen his fair share of NFL Caliber talent. Chubb may not be as good as he was as a Freshman but he's still really good.
  • He's now 3 years removed from his college injury, a knee injury (multiple ligaments but not an ACL). He put up a 4.52 40 at 227 pounds at the NFL Combine along with a 7.09 3 Cone time so there's still a lot of athleticism in his body. May never be the "special" talent he was but this late in the draft, he provides some really good value as a bit of an under the radar Rookie of the Year candidate if Hyde goes down to injury.
  • Even as part of a RBBC, he could still eat into Duke's carries and get an additional 40-50 for the year (8-9 carries a game) and could chip in 560 to 630 yards on the ground with a possibility of being a GL vulture for TDs. Pretty low risk RB with potential for high reward if a few things break right for him.

I'll go Jamaal Williams.  Jones is dinged in camp and suspended.  Williams put up 141/522/4 plus 21/224/2 receiving in the final 8 games last year.  That's more proven production than you're supposed to get for an 8th round pick. 
Can’t have enough rbs.

You can wait at qb, there’s tons of depth and I don’t like the wrs here.

I like Williams as he's the closest thing to a true feature back the Packers have (other than him only Mays fits that profile, but he may not even make the roster). Only thing I'm concerned about is his usage, especially in the red zone. Getting Rodgers back will certainly help the offense, but it may not help Williams' fantasy numbers as much as one would think. Still probably the best RB on the board (though I prefer Duke Johnson in PPR) and a solid pick. 

Keith1 said:
I voted "other". And that other would be the Jaguars D. Laugh all you want, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of all the other team defenses. Did you know that the Jaguars team defense outscored the likes of AJ Green, Doug Baldwin and Jordan Howard last year ? And I do believe that they have improved since last season. Having a "set it and forget it" defense allows you to not have to worry about match-ups or playing the "rent-a-defense" game each week. 
Problem with this is defenses are not very predictably consistent from year to year.  I wouldn't bet a lot of money that the Jaguars D will be anywhere near as valuable this year in fantasy as they were last year, in which case this is a wasted pick.  If they turn out to be a mediocre fantasy defense this year, setting it and forgetting it seems like a losing strategy compared to playing matchups and actively managing defenses as the season progresses. 

DST scoring can vary a lot so take this with a grain of salt, but just looking at stats for one of my local leagues, teams that put up similar fantasy performances to the 2017 Jags were the 2010 Pats, 2012 Bears, and 2013 Chiefs.  The following year all three of those defenses were basically worthless.  I'll be thrilled if defenses start going off the board in the 8th round in my drafts this year.

Probably Crowell or Duke J. Like many others, I like Woods, but it is about position scarcity.  Round 7 or 8 is often when I take RB4. And it also seems like there are enough good QBs who will be available in rounds 9-11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other: Crowell for the reasons others have stated. Just posting for the sake of everyone knowing who the “Other” picks are. 

Users who are viewing this thread