What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

On this day July 13, 1943, the largest tank battle in history ended. (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
I grew up on cold war propaganda WW II John Wayne war hero flicks as a kid.  Had no clue that the bulk of WW II were felled primarily on Russian soil and did not hear about the biggest tank battle in the history of the world till much later in my life.

For those who have never heard of the battle of Kursk.

It is THEE WW II tank battle everyone 'should' know. 

On July 13, 1943, the largest tank battle in history ended.

:ph34r:  [DEEP BREATH]

Allow me to plug what I consider to be the BEST WWII YouTube channel.

World War 2

Really exceptional. The run up to Kursk has been going on for weeks/months.

June 18, 1943 - Kusk: Soviets Dig in for Blitzkreig

Troops Deployments for Kursk - WW2 Special episode 

July 9, 1943 - Kursk, When Titans Clash

July 13, 1943 - Prokhorovka: An Avalanche of Armor

They release a new video every Saturday morning which details the past week’s action in the war. For major events (Pearl Harbor, Midway, Guadalcanal, Kursk) they release extra episodes to cover the subject more in depth.  

It’s a real time program - the WWII series started 4 years ago with the invasion of Poland. Prior to that they spent 5 years doing a WWI real time channel called The Great War.

Concurrently they ran a “Between Two Wars” series on a channel called Time Ghost History. Tons of topics outside the World Wars covered there as well.

During the week they also release additional videos. They have a bunch of interesting series related to WW2. They do biography sketches of political or military leaders. The Home Front looks at how the war is going back home in the USA or England. War Against Humanity looks at the Holocaust & Japanese atrocities.

Great production company based in the EU. The lead anchor, Lindy Neidell, is an American actor living in Stockholm. Their research is in depth and very solid academically. Good production team. They even have some collaboration thing with a German heavy metal band called Sabaton which - I kid you not - writes songs about WW2 battles and equipment. I’m not into them & don’t endorse it (due to my ignorance), but I think it’s pretty hilarious young people sit around jamming about the Bismarck battleship.

I can’t say enough about how good they are at their craft. I tend to mostly read nonfiction written by historians, thoroughly researched and peer reviewed. I (generally) avoid popular “narrative historians” because they get a little sloppy on the research / interpretation / mythology aspects of history.

This YouTube channel strikes a good balance between being very thorough and accurate in their research while being highly entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:

World War 2

Really exceptional.
:thumbup:  Great channel that I have known about for some time.

I stumbled upon these guys who review WW II movies and miniseries, one is a history prof, the other served as a marine and is a history prof.

Reel History

I was checking out a few reaction videos to the miniseries The Pacific.  These are entertaining and fun to see reactions and hearing takes from others.

Then I saw Reel History break down. 

I knew a WW II Marine Sergent who told me a couple of horrifying combat stories which sparked my interest in the Pacific theatre of WW II so I had read many books on Guadalcanal and was really excited to finally see the miniseries a few weeks ago.  

I love the breakdowns I have seen so far from this YouTube channel and can't wait to see their take on Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan.  

BobbyLayne said:

World War 2

They release a new video every Saturday morning which details the past week’s action in the war. For major events (Pearl Harbor, Midway, Guadalcanal, Kursk) they release extra episodes to cover the subject more in depth.  

It’s a real time program - the WWII series started 4 years ago with the invasion of Poland. Prior to that they spent 5 years doing a WWI real time channel called The Great War.

Concurrently they ran a “Between Two Wars” series on a channel called Time Ghost History. Tons of topics outside the World Wars covered there as well.

During the week they also release additional videos. They have a bunch of interesting series related to WW2. They do biography sketches of political or military leaders. The Home Front looks at how the war is going back home in the USA or England. War Against Humanity looks at the Holocaust & Japanese atrocities.

Great production company based in the EU. The lead anchor, Lindy Neidell, is an American actor living in Stockholm. Their research is in depth and very solid academically. Good production team. They even have some collaboration thing with a German heavy metal band called Sabaton which - I kid you not - writes songs about WW2 battles and equipment. I’m not into them & don’t endorse it (due to my ignorance), but I think it’s pretty hilarious young people sit around jamming about the Bismarck battleship.

I can’t say enough about how good they are at their craft. I tend to mostly read nonfiction written by historians, thoroughly researched and peer reviewed. I (generally) avoid popular “narrative historians” because they get a little sloppy on the research / interpretation / mythology aspects of history.

This YouTube channel strikes a good balance between being very thorough and accurate in their research while being highly entertaining.
Definitely checking this out. I've read about every book and watched every documentary on WW II. The World at War is still my favorite documentary of all of them. 

BobbyLayne said:

World War 2

I thank you for this. My wife probably will not.

Andy Dufresne said:
Soviet Storm: World War II in the West

This is a GREAT Russian produced. documentary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Storm:_World_War_II_in_the_East
heavy on propaganda and light on Soviet atrocities. but yes, comrade, it's refreshing to see the Great Patriotic War from another perspective.

Andy Dufresne said:
correct. while we're at it, should probably note Battle of Prokhorovka (colloquially and incorrectly referred to as The Battle of Kursk) is where most of the armor engagement took place.

put another way, Kursk is the wider engagement, and if we're talking about the massive tank battle, that part of the engagement is Prokhorovka.

BobbyLayne said:

World War 2
I found them some time between when they finished their WWI series and started the current one.  Watching the newest episode is part of my Saturday/Sunday morning routine. Good stuff always.

BobbyLayne said:

World War 2

You beat me to this buddy.  I couldn't have shared/stated it better, though :)

my wife really likes Indy Neidell (whom I mistakenly called Lindy upthread....turning 60 this summer, I offer no defense)

and she usually hates any history/war programming I want to watch

So I found out about this channel on July 13.  Here I am, twelve days later, heading into October 1940, with 50+ episodes under my belt.  Thanks again.  I'll do the Great War next.

So I found out about this channel on July 13.  Here I am, twelve days later, heading into October 1940, with 50+ episodes under my belt.  Thanks again.  I'll do the Great War next.
haha that’s awesome dude 

also great that a lot of FBGs were already following, they do such a good job with it

Only recently heard of this group.

Related.

------------

The Soviet 'Night Witches' of World War Two - BBC REEL

During World War Two, the Soviet Air Forces created a women-only regiment that flew cropper planes to bomb the enemy at night. The Nazis called them the 'Night Witches'. In the diary of Yevgeniya (Zhenya) Rudneva, a 20-year-old astronomy student in Moscow, we're offered a rare glimpse into her life in the regiment.

What a find, thanks!  Coming up in a week, coincidentally (and hopefully), Operation Tidal Wave.  I lost an uncle over Ploesti.
Sorry for your loss.

My uncle was a B-17 tail gunner. Lonely helpless job. He was 18-19 when he flew his 30 missions. Was 25, they upped it because they lost so many crews.

Four other uncles were in the Pacific theater. The one who was a marine fought Guadalcanal AND Okinawa. His son flew helicopters in Vietnam. 

Users who are viewing this thread