What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One Year Hiatus (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
My wife and I woke up the other day and realized, we are getting older. We are at the beginning stages of transitioning to our next stage of life, which will eventually move us to the south for retirement we believe.  My career path, although it has not made me wealthy, does give me quite a bit of flexibility. 

We have talked about taking a year “off” and working part time somewhere and also buy a fixer upper house for some equity. We hope to recharge ourselves for this next stage and get a better understanding of where we want to be for the next long term stage of life. We would like to do some traveling during this year so we can  enjoy it before we are to old. 

Our Kids are in college down in FL but do not plan on staying there after graduation and we really don’t have a desire to be in FL for the long term, but would consider it for a year. 

Because of family, we will stay east of the Mississippi. Also, not interested in the extreme northern regions.

We are looking to be close to a decent airport and a good market for flipping a house in the price range of 50K to 150K. So, I wanted to get some opinions from FFA of your local real estate markets or any suggestions of where you would like to be if you could. Thanks!

My wife and I woke up the other day and realized, we are getting older. We are at the beginning stages of transitioning to our next stage of life, which will eventually move us to the south for retirement we believe.  My career path, although it has not made me wealthy, does give me quite a bit of flexibility. 

We have talked about taking a year “off” and working part time somewhere and also buy a fixer upper house for some equity. We hope to recharge ourselves for this next stage and get a better understanding of where we want to be for the next long term stage of life. We would like to do some traveling during this year so we can  enjoy it before we are to old. 

Our Kids are in college down in FL but do not plan on staying there after graduation and we really don’t have a desire to be in FL for the long term, but would consider it for a year. 

Because of family, we will stay east of the Mississippi. Also, not interested in the extreme northern regions.

We are looking to be close to a decent airport and a good market for flipping a house in the price range of 50K to 150K. So, I wanted to get some opinions from FFA of your local real estate markets or any suggestions of where you would like to be if you could. Thanks!
The southern part of Maryland's Eastern Shore has tons of houses with good shells for under 100K. I was hoping to be free of tending my peeps by now so i could start working on one cuz i think the world is going to grow out to Deal Island & Crisfield in the next decade. not real close to airports, but....

I thought he somehow predicted a one year banning.

Whew, thought you were leaving here for a year.
I thought both of these, but when I read the first line:

My wife and I woke up the other day and realized, we are getting older.
I thought you and the wife were taking the hiatus!!

Good luck, but you have to stay around here, post us a thread, like Tipsey, with pictures of the progress!! 

Have you considered that older people sometimes have difficulty in finding new jobs?  Discrimination, don't cha know.

FL real estate is generally very high right now for flipping.  The Titusville area might be an exception to evaluate.  It was hit hard in the recession + NASA closing most operations.  Lots of houses in the price range you seek. The area has come back quite a bit from the extreme lows but I get a sense it is still lagging the rest of the State.  And it has a lot of future potential growth with the activity from SpaceX, Boeing, etc.  Less than an hour to Orlando airport.

FL real estate is generally very high right now for flipping.  The Titusville area might be an exception to evaluate.  It was hit hard in the recession + NASA closing most operations.  Lots of houses in the price range you seek. The area has come back quite a bit from the extreme lows but I get a sense it is still lagging the rest of the State.  And it has a lot of future potential growth with the activity from SpaceX, Boeing, etc.  Less than an hour to Orlando airport.
Love the little downtown area.

It seems to me flipping a home in any market with a 1 year window is highly speculative, risky, hard work, and potentially stressful if the money matters to you.  I might consider doing what my dad and his wife did in early retirement - buy a nice used RV, treat it with some TLC and upgrade a few things, and re-sell it after a couple years of living on the road.  You're travelling, but also setting up home bases in different parts of the country depending on weather, events you want to attend, etc.  I flew to meet my dad and hang out with him several times while they were on the road.  It was a great few years for them.

It seems to me flipping a home in any market with a 1 year window is highly speculative, risky, hard work, and potentially stressful if the money matters to you.  I might consider doing what my dad and his wife did in early retirement - buy a nice used RV, treat it with some TLC and upgrade a few things, and re-sell it after a couple years of living on the road.  You're travelling, but also setting up home bases in different parts of the country depending on weather, events you want to attend, etc.  I flew to meet my dad and hang out with him several times while they were on the road.  It was a great few years for them.
This is intriguing. My thoughts were getting a place for cheap rent and maybe make 5-10k but I know there’s always a risk.

The RV is not something I considered. I ran it by the wife and surprisingly she was kind of open to it.  :thumbup:

Concerned about the motor home and either pulling a car or not having a car wherever we land. Concerned about pulling a trailer, never have done that. I have been looking at used RV’s and they are affordable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, and with many people thinking the RE market is near a peak, you could very well lose money if you buy a house soon and try to flip it within a year.

Users who are viewing this thread