What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Onterrio Smith cut by Vikes (1 Viewer)

It was also reported that he won't be eligible to play in the NFL in 2006. Sorry if this was already posted.

I understand Miami's roster quota of drug test failees for the coming season is short, maybe he can catch on there?

It was also reported that he won't be eligible to play in the NFL in 2006. Sorry if this was already posted.
I had not heard this. I'd read this report in the Pioneer Press that he was not immediately being reinstated by the league (which he was eligible to be, being 1 year after his suspension) but I did not read that to conclude he won't be eligible at any point in 2006. As I understand, he can be reinstated at any point, although the failure to immediately reinstate him is absolutely a red flag. Very odd; according to that article he had learned a lesson and was presumably beyond this.

He's 25 years old and its obvious to me he still has a problem. In another year he'll be 26 and likely still have the same problem. Forget about him being an NFL player. Hopefully his problem is only weed and he stays out of prison.

The article says he is eligible to return on June 7th.

Does anyone have a link showing another year of suspension for the Whizz ?

Thanks for asking Ron Mexico. I looked at my players news on MFL and read this:(KFFL) The Associated Press reports the Minnesota Vikings issued the following statement about the release of RB Onterrio Smith Wednesday, April 26: "We've decided to terminate Onterrio Smith's contract ahead of this weekend's college draft," head coach Brad Childress said in the statement. "We wish him well in his future endeavors." NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Smith's one-year suspension doesn't expire until June 7.

Looks like he'll be picked up by another team soon enough. :thumbup:

Where's Onterrio Smith going to play in 2006?

Natural favorite: Oakland ?

Dark horse: Miami ?

The article says he is eligible to return on June 7th.

Does anyone have a link showing another year of suspension for the Whizz ?
None of the articles Ive read say that. They just say he won't be reinstated next month.Link

I'm still confused about whether he is eligible to play this season. If so, he could be a decent addition to some team. As a threshold question, we know what teams who are strongly against signing players with character issues. What list of teams don't seem to let character issues deter them from signing a player? And which one of these teams could use a cheap backup RB with starter potential?

I'm still confused about whether he is eligible to play this season.
You and me both. Someone explain this to me like I'm Vince Young while taking his first Wonderlic Test please.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the news articles so far, I can't tell if he will be eligible for part or all of this year, or none.

edit: We may not find out any more.

West Central Tribune

League spokesman Greg Aiello, also citing confidentiality issues, declined to comment specifically about Smith - whose suspension was originally scheduled to end June 7. A denial of his reinstatement application, however, won't be made public by the NFL, so it's possible for Smith's ban to continue indefinitely until the commissioner clears him to return.

Smith's agent, Doug Hendrickson, didn't return multiple messages left Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confidentiality makes it so the league cant say why he isnt eligible to return. If you read between the lines though that means there's at least a 95% chance he's still smokeing pot. There arent many excuses for messing up the league's rehab program. How many popular players have their reinstatements revoked? SoD has failed test after test since joining the league. Its pretty obvious what happened even if nobody is allowed to confirm it.

I asked this in another thread..... why wouldn't both of these guys go to Canada and play and make a little coin. It wont be the same as the NFL but its still better than being the night stocker at blockbuster.

Confidentiality makes it so the league cant say why he isnt eligible to return. If you read between the lines though that means there's at least a 95% chance he's still smokeing pot. There arent many excuses for messing up the league's rehab program. How many popular players have their reinstatements revoked? SoD has failed test after test since joining the league. Its pretty obvious what happened even if nobody is allowed to confirm it.
I wouldn't say that. After a years suspension, they all have to apply to get back in. The Wizzinator act was a very embarassing moment for him, but most of all the NFL. He might be still doing drugs, but the incident was the laughing stock of the media for soemtime and I'm just not sure how easily they will let him come back right away. Notice, I said "right away." I think it's still possible he comes back later at some point.

SOD = Still On Drugs.

Not much of a window to be in the NFL & make your millions. His windows are obviously glazed like the doughnut he is. All cake with a hole in the middle.

What a helmet.

I'm still confused about whether he is eligible to play this season. If so, he could be a decent addition to some team. As a threshold question, we know what teams who are strongly against signing players with character issues. What list of teams don't seem to let character issues deter them from signing a player? And which one of these teams could use a cheap backup RB with starter potential?
Baltimore is the obvious choice here, for many reasons.

I'm still confused about whether he is eligible to play this season.
You and me both. Someone explain this to me like I'm Vince Young while taking his first Wonderlic Test please.
I don't think anyone can answer this question. It's 100% the discretion of the commissioner to reinstate him and he can look at any number of things. The best comparison is Dale Carter who ultimately was not reinstated for 18 months even though he was eligible to be reinstated after 1 year. I think it largely depends on whether he is believed to be fully participating in the program, and the extent to which the whizzinator episode embarrassed the league. They are probably making him twist a bit to drive a message home.

I asked this in another thread..... why wouldn't both of these guys go to Canada and play and make a little coin. It wont be the same as the NFL but its still better than being the night stocker at blockbuster.
I was thinking the same thing. Montreal picked up Q. Carter last month and he will be playing some games.

I'm still confused about whether he is eligible to play this season.  If so, he could be a decent addition to some team.  As a threshold question, we know what teams who are strongly against signing players with character issues.  What list of teams don't seem to let character issues deter them from signing a player?  And which one of these teams could use a cheap backup RB with starter potential?
I'm not sure how serious you are, but I think Baltimore would be a good fit, for many reasons.

I'm still confused about whether he is eligible to play this season.  If so, he could be a decent addition to some team.  As a threshold question, we know what teams who are strongly against signing players with character issues.  What list of teams don't seem to let character issues deter them from signing a player?  And which one of these teams could use a cheap backup RB with starter potential?
I'm not sure how serious you are, but I think Baltimore would be a good fit, for many reasons.
I was dead serious.

I wouldn't say that. After a years suspension, they all have to apply to get back in. The Wizzinator act was a very embarassing moment for him, but most of all the NFL. He might be still doing drugs, but the incident was the laughing stock of the media for soemtime and I'm just not sure how easily they will let him come back right away. Notice, I said "right away." I think it's still possible he comes back later at some point.
Not sure what you are trying to say. I never said anything like he'll never come back. However he has to comply with the rehabilitation requirements which are there to help get a person off of drugs. The Whizzinator incident has nothing to do with being reinstated with it because it happened before his suspension. In order to get reinstated, he has to rehab. Almost everyone who screws up their rehab does so by continueing to use drugs. Only other possible reason I see for him not being reinstated is if he got into some other kind of trouble that we didnt hear about. Smith is still smokeing pot. It doesnt take a genious to figure that out.

Users who are viewing this thread