What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Onterrio Smith ready (1 Viewer)

I listened to Tice's radio show on KFAN tonight. A caller asked him who is the odd man out of the running backs, he said Moore. He explained it was because his ankle is banged up a little and then he said "these things seem to take care of themselves". He also said he won't use a RBBC, he said he likes to use one main back, with 1 other back to come in and relieve the main starter, because "a guy can't take 40 carries a game".

I'm certainly in the vast minority, but I believe Moore is the better pure runner. My opinion has come after following both in college & the NFL (albeit limited experience as pros).
I hear what you are saying, but strongly disagree - I watched a lot of OSmith in both college and pro, and watched all the Vikes games with Moore ths year.What Moore was doing to get that high YPC was breaking tackles that OSmith and Bennett don't break. That's the thing with him - breaking tackles. And his real worth was getting 50+ YPG through the air.

OSmith is a solid runner with moves, vision, and breakaway skills. I thikn they are comp[arable runners, but I thikn OSmith is more "polished" runner - if that makes sense - and Moore is a "sneaky" runner who makes good things happen.
Marc,Your post is confusing. Should we take away that you think Moore is less of a runner because he breaks tackles? Doesn't Smith do this as well? What about polished makes Smith any better? How does that help his effectiveness?
IMO, OSmith has more vision, is a more polished runner going through the hole, and simply runs better.Moore is more of an all around back with a lot of heart.

I thikn BOTH could be equally good behind that Minnie line, but I believe you could stick OSmith in a variety of systems and he would perform while Moore really needs a certain sized hole to find his way through the line.

On breaking tackles, of COURSE it is a positive - a HUGE positive - it's what made Droughns go for tons of yardage while Griff was getting clocked behind the LOS.

On OSMith breaking tackles, he CAN break tackles, but he does (did) it nowhere near as consistently as Moore was doing it before the Gints game.
One other point you failed to mention: Smith has 2 healthy ankles. I don't know the severity of Moore's ankle but I know these things can linger and will likely effect his performance.

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

A full load

Onterrio Smith's return from a suspension gives the Vikings a full complement of players at their deepest position for the first time this season.

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

On the eve of their game against the Houston Texans last month, the Vikings watched highlights from their victory over the Chicago Bears two weeks earlier matched to music.

"It was like the Onterrio Smith highlight show," coach Mike Tice recalled. "The team went nuts. It fired the team up. It was unbelievable what he was doing."

Smith gained 198 combined yards, including a 36-yard catch and a 38-yard run, and he paced the Vikings to a 27-22 victory over the Bears.

But Smith wasn't in the meeting room that night in Houston, and he didn't attend the next three games, either.

While serving his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, Smith opted not to join his teammates on game day because he couldn't bear standing on the sideline.

"I knew if I was to step foot in the stadium," he said, "I would want to be on the field, and I wouldn't be able to watch the whole game."

In fact, Smith couldn't even finish watching the games on live television at his home. He accepted full blame for his suspension, and admitted he thought for a "split second" of the impact he could have made Sunday in a 34-13 loss to the New York Giants.

"I served my time, and now I'm back," Smith said. "Now, I can think about being out there and making some plays."

In the meantime, coaches finally can consider all their options at running back and make some decisions. For the first time this season, the Vikings' deepest position has all of its players available, and all have arguments to lobby for the ball, especially with receiver Randy Moss likely limited and possibly sidelined, Monday night against the Indianapolis Colts.

Although rookie Mewelde Moore had a poor game against the Giants, he still leads the team with nearly 400 yards rushing, averaging an impressive 5.9 yards a carry, and has caught 27 passes for 238 yards. He has shown knacks for breaking the first tackle and making difficult catches.

Michael Bennett broke the shutout Sunday with a 10-yard touchdown run, and he has his Pro Bowl credentials from a brilliant 2002 season. He has world-class, sprinter speed that complements the vertical capability of Moss.

Veteran Moe Williams, who led the team with 745 yards rushing last season, does everything solidly, and is adept in short-yardage situations.

Then there's Smith, who dominated two of the final three games of last season and opened this season impressively with 421 combined yards over the first three games. He has the power to run inside, the speed to run outside and the shiftiness to turn broken plays into golden ones.

Tice repeatedly has said that, if healthy, Moore will start Monday.

"I haven't been running on it or anything," Moore said of his left ankle sprain. "But as of now, I feel pretty good."

Who starts beyond Monday is purely speculative.

"Any one of those three dudes can carry the load," guard Chris Liwienski said. "The more the merrier."

Thin at the position for several weeks, the Vikings are encouraged that Bennett made progress against the Giants and elated that Smith rejoins the mix. Although Smith is not overly talkative, he has an air about him, an unflappable belief in himself.

Smith said Moore played "like a Pro Bowler," adding that he hoped the rookie's injury didn't "set him back." Meanwhile, veteran Williams will continue to fulfill his part on short-yardage and some third-down situations.

"He's been doing his thing over the last few weeks, and we don't have (any) other choice but to give him an opportunity," Smith said of Moore.

Smith said the coaches likely will "roll with the hot hand," and he figured his hands would be the ones wrapped around the ball the most.

"I'm not going to talk about it," he said. "I'm going to let my skills speak.

"That's one thing I pride myself on doing. If I get the ball, no matter how many times, I'm going to do something that's exciting."

Given the lack of an impact made by their run offense Sunday, the Vikings are certain to emphasize that position Monday against the high-scoring Colts.

"Everybody has to really step their game up," Bennett said. "This is a big Monday night game for us. We're getting everybody back, and we want to catch this groove and ride it until the wheels fall off."
If Moore's healthy, he starts, but we could see Smith early and often. Seems to me like the door's wide open for Smith to take over. Bennett is your change-of-pace, and Moe is still the short-yardage back.

It will be Moore as starterSmith will be worked in and probably end up with the most carriesBennett may get a few carries if Moore isn't healthyMoe has no role other than leadership
:thumbup: What he said...Edited to say that Williams ends up losing goal line and short yardage carries to Smith (provided he produces).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year. He's not thinking to the future and he'll play the best back. Onterrio is the best back on the team.
:confused: Its amazing what people can rationalize if they try really really hard.
I think it makes sense.Onterrio is the best back. His problems are behind him. And Tice, with or without Moss, is not thinking about making players happy, at this point. He needs to win. They collapse and his job is on the line -- rightfully so.So, yeah, if you've got what you consider the most talented back healthy, fresh, and very much NEEDED right now -- you ride that horse.
Smith's problems are behind him? How do you know this? I don't think a dependable starting ff rb will emerge from this situation. I think the top ball carrier can and will change from week to week and cause nothing but headaches.

Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year.  He's not thinking to the future and he'll play the best back.  Onterrio is the best back on the team.
:confused: Its amazing what people can rationalize if they try really really hard.
I think it makes sense.Onterrio is the best back. His problems are behind him. And Tice, with or without Moss, is not thinking about making players happy, at this point. He needs to win. They collapse and his job is on the line -- rightfully so.So, yeah, if you've got what you consider the most talented back healthy, fresh, and very much NEEDED right now -- you ride that horse.
Smith's problems are behind him? How do you know this? I don't think a dependable starting ff rb will emerge from this situation. I think the top ball carrier can and will change from week to week and cause nothing but headaches.
Irish,I have to agree with Sonny. As for his off field problems, only time will tell. Obviuosly, there is some risk with Smith. Assumming he stays clean, he will likely be the man in Minn. To your point on RBBC, could very well be a different stat leader from week to week but I doubt it. Unless Smith gets dinged and openes the dorr for Moore or Bennett, I would expect Smith to be the man. And you really can't make an arguement against him execpt for the drug suspension. The coaches are not going to shy away from him. He has served his time and they will use him extensively.

Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year.  He's not thinking to the future and he'll play the best back.  Onterrio is the best back on the team.
What exactly is it you don't like about Smith?On the field, he's the best RB the Vikes have. There is no way anyone can see into the future and project him failing another drug test. He seem sot have learned his lesson. He's said so, other players have said so, his coach said so. It doesn't seem likely he'll repeat that error.So outside of off-field issues, what don't you like about him?

I listened to Tice's radio show on KFAN tonight. A caller asked him who is the odd man out of the running backs, he said Moore. He explained it was because his ankle is banged up a little and then he said "these things seem to take care of themselves". He also said he won't use a RBBC, he said he likes to use one main back, with 1 other back to come in and relieve the main starter, because "a guy can't take 40 carries a game".
I can't believe nobody followed up on this. If this is what Tice said, this obviously is huge as far as determining how this situation is going to be played out. It also reaffirms my belief that this job would ultimately come down to Bennett and/or Smith in some fashion. They are superior RBs to Moore in my opinion.

I can't believe nobody followed up on this. If this is what Tice said, this obviously is huge as far as determining how this situation is going to be played out. It also reaffirms my belief that this job would ultimately come down to Bennett and/or Smith in some fashion. They are superior RBs to Moore in my opinion.
wow, that is pretty big hint.....dsnt look like Moore (if we believe Tice), leaving us w. Bennett and Smith....I would say Bennett gets the starting nod....but O.Smith finishes the game.......I pray that he just goes OSmith the whole way

I think Moore is more complete than Bennett, but is not as explosive, easily. But I also felt he would ge the nod ahead of Bennett merely due to a durability issue.However, I don't see either of them keeping the starting job ahead of Onterrio. Unless of course O gets hurt/suspended.

That one definitely raised my eyebrows too.As we all know, earlier in the week Tice said Moore's the starter, if healthy.

Now he's saying Moore's the odd man out.

IF (big if) Tice can be taken at his word, this would seem to suggest Moore's ankle is a bigger issue than most of us have been assuming.

Of course the other spin is that the ankle deal gives Tice a reason for easing Moore aside.

One other point you failed to mention: Smith has 2 healthy ankles. I don't know the severity of Moore's ankle but I know these things can linger and will likely effect his performance.
Why would I mention that in an evaluation if which I feel is a better runner?That evaluation assumes equal health.

wow, that is pretty big hint.....dsnt look like Moore (if we believe Tice), leaving us w. Bennett and Smith....I would say Bennett gets the starting nod....but O.Smith finishes the game.......I pray that he just goes OSmith the whole way
To me, this looks like the quote that SOD owners have been waiting for. I don't understand the Bennett comment here though. Can someone point me to one quote from Tice or the OC that makes people think Bennett as starter/feature back is a possibility? All I've seen about Bennett is that Tice is not inclined to start him and that he has to earn the job back, MAYBE BY RETURNING KICKS. (how is that not a big red flag) Tice even commented on his bad body language in his first game back. Contrast that with all the glowing reports on Onterrio and I just don't see what the Bennett crowd is hanging onto here.I don't mean to start a flame war here, I know this is a touchy subject, but if your still on Bennett's bandwagon, why?

IF (big if) Tice can be taken at his word, this would seem to suggest Moore's ankle is a bigger issue than most of us have been assuming.
Exaclty why I discounted it - I suspect what he meant was that Moore is the odd man out if he is not healthy enough to go - thus the statment of how these things "work THEMSELVES out."If he practices Friday . . .

I listened to Tice's radio show on KFAN tonight.  A caller asked him who is the odd man out of the running backs, he said Moore.  He explained it was because his ankle is banged up a little and then he said "these things seem to take care of themselves".  He also said he won't use a RBBC, he said he likes to use one main back, with 1 other back to come in and relieve the main starter, because "a guy can't take 40 carries a game".
To me, this looks like the quote that SOD owners have been waiting for. I don't understand the Bennett comment here though. Can someone point me to one quote from Tice or the OC that makes people think Bennett as starter/feature back is a possibility? All I've seen about Bennett is that Tice is not inclined to start him and that he has to earn the job back, MAYBE BY RETURNING KICKS. (how is that not a big red flag) Tice even commented on his bad body language in his first game back. Contrast that with all the glowing reports on Onterrio and I just don't see what the Bennett crowd is hanging onto here.

I don't mean to start a flame war here, I know this is a touchy subject, but if your still on Bennett's bandwagon, why?
I would guess it is because Tice said to Bennett "go earn your job back." Why would Tice say that if he didn't think it was Bennett's job in the future? :rotflmao: :rolleyes:

Put this tidbit in the pro-Onterrio camp. :thumbup:

The Vikings believe the return this week of RB Onterrio Smith comes at a good time. Smith won't start if rookie RB Mewelde Moore's left ankle is healthy enough for him to play. But look for Smith to get the most carries and make the biggest impact of all the running backs.

"After Moss, Smith is the guy whose style gets us going better than anyone else," Tice said. :eek: :shock: :excited:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/home.htm

I listened to Tice's radio show on KFAN tonight.  A caller asked him who is the odd man out of the running backs, he said Moore.  He explained it was because his ankle is banged up a little and then he said "these things seem to take care of themselves".  He also said he won't use a RBBC, he said he likes to use one main back, with 1 other back to come in and relieve the main starter, because "a guy can't take 40 carries a game".
To me, this looks like the quote that SOD owners have been waiting for. I don't understand the Bennett comment here though. Can someone point me to one quote from Tice or the OC that makes people think Bennett as starter/feature back is a possibility? All I've seen about Bennett is that Tice is not inclined to start him and that he has to earn the job back, MAYBE BY RETURNING KICKS. (how is that not a big red flag) Tice even commented on his bad body language in his first game back. Contrast that with all the glowing reports on Onterrio and I just don't see what the Bennett crowd is hanging onto here.I don't mean to start a flame war here, I know this is a touchy subject, but if your still on Bennett's bandwagon, why?
I am def. not a fan of Bennett, and do not think he is the answer, however, i do think it is a possibility that Bennett could be named starter if Moore is unable to go....i have that feeling that Tice wont outright name OSmith starter his first game back, maybe week 10, but not week 9. He may Name M.Bennett starter, and then eventually he'll give way to the more productive O.SmithDont' get me wrong, i want OSmith to be the starter.

Onterrio Smith will end up with over 100 yards this week, mark my words!
I'm rolling with him as my RB3 this week. There's just too much coming out of Minnesota right now for me to dismiss the possibility Smith is going to be very active in this game.

You that sure, huh?
I have sources ;)
Are these the same sources who told you what was going to go down last season against the Chiefs when Bennett got the token start and Smith got almost all of the carries? Props to you (and them) for that one and if it's the same sources, then that certainly matches up with the gut feeling I'm having about how this situation is going to shake itself out this week.

The switz seal of approval works for me. Step aside Mr. Jones, Onterrio is taking your spot this weekend.

With Thomas Jones most likely out and Brown on bye, I figured I'd have an easy start in Pittman, but all this O. Smith talk is making me reconsider..... :shrug:

You that sure, huh?
I have sources ;)
Hmmmmmmmmm, is that combined or just rushing? Weighing out my options here.
The Vikes are prepping Onterrio to start, they want to run him as much as possible. Moore is not going to get the start, regardless of his health, because the Vikes don't view him as their starter, that role will go to Bennett or Smith.This week, verse Indy, the Vikes want to attack the Colts D with the run, because they don't think they can stretch the field without Moss, and want to draw the secondary up to the line so that there is more openings for WRs to make plays.Expect O to get 25+ carries, and Bennett to get about 10.I can't really post more than that...

You that sure, huh?
I have sources ;)
The Vikes are prepping Onterrio to start, they want to run him as much as possible. Moore is not going to get the start, regardless of his health, because the Vikes don't view him as their starter, that role will go to Bennett or Smith.This week, verse Indy, the Vikes want to attack the Colts D with the run, because they don't think they can stretch the field without Moss, and want to draw the secondary up to the line so that there is more openings for WRs to make plays.Expect O to get 25+ carries, and Bennett to get about 10.I can't really post more than that...
100% agree...OSmith will be in my starting lineup :thumbup:

You that sure, huh?
I have sources ;)
100% agree...OSmith will be in my starting lineup :thumbup:
I'm sold too :brush: O.Smith is my RB2.......

You that sure, huh?
I have sources ;)
Good enough, and thanks :thumbup:

You that sure, huh?
I have sources ;)
Well I don't view Moore as a starter either if Bennett and Smith are both healthy and I've said that for some time. Nice to know the Viking coaches agree with me. :D If you're on the mark with this switz that would likely mean if Smith does well Monday night, the job is probably his to keep barring injury or another run-in with a bong. Edited to add although I'm not discounting what your sources are telling you, I'd be very surprised if the Vikings got 35+ rushing attempts in this game. They need to control the ball on the ground, but I don't know if they will be able to do it quite at that level against the Colts.

These post may have saved me from Fantasy Football suicide. Only being able to carry 3 R.B.'s Barlow is now a free agent and Smith has a new home. Cutting that sorry sack was a load off that more people need to experience. :yes:

I got a funny feeling that Bennett is gonna emerge. He fits too well into the big play nature of this team. When Culp is your QB you don't really need 4 yards a carry. Vikes aren't scared of 3rd and long. They almost seem to prefer someone who can bust the 50 yarder every 10th carry. Now granted with Moss out, this might change. But I think in the big picture if Bennett stays healthy, he's starting. (of course his health is a whole nother conversation).

I got a funny feeling that Bennett is gonna emerge. He fits too well into the big play nature of this team. When Culp is your QB you don't really need 4 yards a carry. Vikes aren't scared of 3rd and long. They almost seem to prefer someone who can bust the 50 yarder every 10th carry. Now granted with Moss out, this might change. But I think in the big picture if Bennett stays healthy, he's starting. (of course his health is a whole nother conversation).
The problem is that with Bennett, there is far too great a chance of 3-outs that the Vikes can't afford. They need to control the clock to keep Manning and Co. off the field.Besides, Smith is more than capable of busting out the long runs as well.

As far as this week goes, I think Smith is clearly the guy to start if you have all three (as I do). He's got the most upside (running ability, receiving ability, most likely to get goalline carries if Moe doesn't) and the least downside--Moore could end up not playing much due to the ankle injury, and we've seen that Tice is willing to let Bennett sit. All signs point to Tice giving Smith every opportunity to make a difference.Anyone disagree?

This should clear things up somewhat:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7856883

Nov. 4, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings linebacker Raonall Smith will miss Monday's game at Indianapolis due to lingering effects from a concussion.

Advertisement

Smith, who has started three of the Vikings' last four games in place of the injured Chris Claiborne, was hurt on the opening kickoff of last week's loss to the New York Giants. He had a mild concussion Oct. 24 against Tennessee.

Rookie Dontarrious Thomas, who has split time between middle and outside linebacker this season, will start Monday night. Claiborne will miss at least another week with a strained calf.

Meanwhile, running back Mewelde Moore might miss Monday's game with a sprained left ankle.

That would make the starter either Michael Bennett or Onterrio Smith, who is just back from a four-game suspension.

Moore leads the team with 64 carries for 376 yards.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

i dnt wnt to turn this into an Assistant Coach thread.....but is it safe to drop Mewelde Moore....is he basically done?.....i dnt see him coming back to a starting job anymore.....

i dnt wnt to turn this into an Assistant Coach thread.....but is it safe to drop Mewelde Moore....is he basically done?.....i dnt see him coming back to a starting job anymore.....
Trade him to someone who thinks he still has value

You that sure, huh?
I have sources ;)
The Vikes are prepping Onterrio to start, they want to run him as much as possible. Moore is not going to get the start, regardless of his health, because the Vikes don't view him as their starter, that role will go to Bennett or Smith.This week, verse Indy, the Vikes want to attack the Colts D with the run, because they don't think they can stretch the field without Moss, and want to draw the secondary up to the line so that there is more openings for WRs to make plays.

Expect O to get 25+ carries, and Bennett to get about 10.

I can't really post more than that...
Sources? Can't post more? Come on switz, you've done enough unabashed Onterrio Pimping around here to know you have to come up with more than that if you want anyone to believe it's more than your opinion. If it's legit info, you can back it up a lot better than that without exposing a source; if it's (well thought out, reasoned and probably accurate) opinion, just say so.

Me n' Switz will be having an "O" Party Monday Night. Special guests include Mrs. Bennettsworth. You are all invited to O's coming out party. :unsure: He will not lose the starting job until 2007. :excited:

B.Y.O.B.

If it's legit info, you can back it up a lot better than that without exposing a source; if it's (well thought out, reasoned and probably accurate) opinion, just say so.
OK, but consider this... how many people on the team know how many carries they'd like each RB to have, or even whether the gameplan is going to be more run or pass oriented?See what I'm getting at?

Anyway, as I stated, Moore wasn't going to be the starter regardless, and just a few minutes ago this was posted on yahoo news:

News

Just when it appeared the Vikings would have their full contingent of running backs healthy and eligible, now it looks as if Mewelde Moore will miss Monday's game in Indianapolis with a sprained left ankle. Moore tweaked his ankle in last week's loss to the Giants and has made minimal progress since suffering the injury, Vikings coach Mike Tice told the team's flagship radio station, KFAN-AM. "If he's not full speed, he'll be inactive," Tice said, though he declined to reveal who would start if Moore can't play.

Views

Michael Bennett has been back for a couple weeks but received limited carries, and Onterrio Smith returns from his four-game suspension this week. While neither is a great fantasy play given that the Vikings may be playing catch-up to the Colts offense most of the evening, it wouldn't be surprising to see Smith get the bulk of the touches given his pass-catching ability and performance as the starter prior to his suspension.

If it's legit info, you can back it up a lot better than that without exposing a source; if it's (well thought out, reasoned and probably accurate) opinion, just say so.
OK, but consider this... how many people on the team know how many carries they'd like each RB to have, or even whether the gameplan is going to be more run or pass oriented?
The latter was a piece of cake this week switz. I posted the other day the only way the Vikings had a chance in this game was to place a heavy emphasis on the running game and that was before they began practicing this week. I'm pretty sure I'm not your source. ;)

Me n' Switz will be having an "O" Party Monday Night. Special guests include Mrs. Bennettsworth. You are all invited to O's coming out party. :unsure: He will not lose the starting job until 2007. :excited:

B.Y.O.B.
First we'll :popcorn: and :banned: , then :headbang: baby :excited:

Me n' Switz will be having an "O" Party Monday Night.  Special guests include Mrs. Bennettsworth.  You are all invited to O's coming out party.  :unsure:   He will not lose the starting job until 2007.  :excited:

B.Y.O.B.
First we'll :popcorn: and :banned: , then :headbang: baby :excited:
Indeed. Then, I'll cOmmand the stage, leading a stirring renditiOn Of "The BOys are Back in TOwn!" :excited: :headbang:

Meanwhile, O walks in, shoving Mrs. Bennettsworth aside, and giving Me-MO the "hand", while I introduce a top 6 RB -- until Bush leaves the Oval Office!

Be there! MOnday, 9:OO E.S.T. :suds: :hifive:

*** the preceding annOuncement was spOnsOred by Big O Tires ***

Pass the Kool-Aid :banned: , I've penciled in SOD over DDavis in a secondary league. I don't buy that Switz has sources, but I feel really good about it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread