What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Onterrio Smith ready (1 Viewer)

I have all three and it would clear things up considerably if Moore is out. I think O Smith is the best talent in the long run and if you say you have sources, I will gladly play O this week as RB3.. I hope you are right Switz.. But that's a big Matza ball dangling out there if Bennett gets the start and most of the carries..

I have all three and it would clear things up considerably if Moore is out. I think O Smith is the best talent in the long run and if you say you have sources, I will gladly play O this week as RB3.. I hope you are right Switz.. But that's a big Matza ball dangling out there if Bennett gets the start and most of the carries..
I don't set myself up to fail, and if I hear anything contrary the rest of the week, I will be quick to post it... but right now, it looks like Smith is the man this week

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all three and it would clear things up considerably if Moore is out.  I think O Smith is the best talent in the long run and if you say you have sources, I will gladly play O this week as RB3..  I hope you are right Switz.. But that's a big Matza ball dangling out there if Bennett gets the start and most of the carries..
I don't set myself up to fail, and if I hear anything contrary the rest of the week, I will be quick to post it... but right now, it looks like Smith is the man this week
:thumbup:

I have all three and it would clear things up considerably if Moore is out.  I think O Smith is the best talent in the long run and if you say you have sources, I will gladly play O this week as RB3.. 

I hope you are right Switz.. But that's a big Matza ball dangling out there if Bennett gets the start and most of the carries..
:thumbup:
That's better. YOur invited; + 1 guest.

Another tidbit from Tice Live last night...A caller asked if it would make sense to put O *and* Bennett in the backfield at the same time. Tice chuckled a bunch, and asked the guy if he snuck into practice. He really seemed like the cat was out of the bag.My interpretation... further evidence that O is the runner... Bennett might become a pass option out of the backfield or even lined up wide. Makes some sense, Bennett is no Moss, but he does have the straight line speed to stretch the defense.

Another tidbit from Tice Live last night...A caller asked if it would make sense to put O *and* Bennett in the backfield at the same time. Tice chuckled a bunch, and asked the guy if he snuck into practice. He really seemed like the cat was out of the bag.My interpretation... further evidence that O is the runner... Bennett might become a pass option out of the backfield or even lined up wide. Makes some sense, Bennett is no Moss, but he does have the straight line speed to stretch the defense.
Minnesota is hurting at wide receiver. Is it conceivable that Tice is planning on using Bennett extensively at wideout this week?

Tice's press conference today:

Q: Talk about Onterrio Smith being back.

A: Yeah, we're excited. Onterrio has that type of personality like Randy has, where he thinks he's the (man)...but he thinks he's the guy. Onterrio thinks he's the guy. He has that great attitude, and we love him for that. He thinks he's invincible. He thinks nobody can tackle him, which is pretty accurate. He brings an energy that we've been lacking, not only with Onterrio gone but with Randy gone, just that energy, that, "I'm a bad dude" energy. So we're excited to have him back. I thought Mark Ellis and Kurtis Schultz did an outstanding job of keeping him in game-type shape. He came back in better shape than he was when he was playing. When he left he had a (sore) quad and a sore knee and his shoulder was sore. Now he's healthy; he looks fantastic on the hoof, with the eyes, just looking at him. He passes the look test, and I think he'll bring something to the mix. I really do.

Q: If Mewelde Moore can't go, do you have an inclination in Onterrio or Bennett?

A: Not really, seeing who has the best week of preparation, I think, is key, not that we're putting a competition out there. They're both going to play certainly, and Moe will have his role on third down. But we'll see who has the best week of practice, who gives off the best body language. They'll both play. They'll both get a chance to touch the ball a bunch, not only running it but catching it too.

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTN...Colts11404.html

Let's see, In the second quote, Tice says he is going to look at who has the best body language to help him determine who to start. In the earlier quote he says that SOD has that "bad dude" energy like he is invincible. Put two and two together . . . ? :yes:

Tice's press conference today:Q: Talk about Onterrio Smith being back.A: Yeah, we're excited. Onterrio has that type of personality like Randy has, where he thinks he's the (man)...but he thinks he's the guy. Onterrio thinks he's the guy. He has that great attitude, and we love him for that. He thinks he's invincible. He thinks nobody can tackle him, which is pretty accurate. He brings an energy that we've been lacking, not only with Onterrio gone but with Randy gone, just that energy, that, "I'm a bad dude" energy. So we're excited to have him back. I thought Mark Ellis and Kurtis Schultz did an outstanding job of keeping him in game-type shape. He came back in better shape than he was when he was playing. When he left he had a (sore) quad and a sore knee and his shoulder was sore. Now he's healthy; he looks fantastic on the hoof, with the eyes, just looking at him. He passes the look test, and I think he'll bring something to the mix. I really do. http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTN...Colts11404.html
Good stuff! Nice post. :thumbup:

Minnesota is hurting at wide receiver. Is it conceivable that Tice is planning on using Bennett extensively at wideout this week?
I posted something during the pre-season about how the Vikings were so excited about devising new ways to take advantage of Bennett's ability that one of their plans was to split him out wide in multiple-receiver sets. Sounds like Tice might be revisiting that idea.

Tice's press conference today:Q: Talk about Onterrio Smith being back.A: Yeah, we're excited. Onterrio has that type of personality like Randy has, where he thinks he's the (man)...but he thinks he's the guy. Onterrio thinks he's the guy. He has that great attitude, and we love him for that. He thinks he's invincible. He thinks nobody can tackle him, which is pretty accurate. He brings an energy that we've been lacking, not only with Onterrio gone but with Randy gone, just that energy, that, "I'm a bad dude" energy. So we're excited to have him back. I thought Mark Ellis and Kurtis Schultz did an outstanding job of keeping him in game-type shape. He came back in better shape than he was when he was playing. When he left he had a (sore) quad and a sore knee and his shoulder was sore. Now he's healthy; he looks fantastic on the hoof, with the eyes, just looking at him. He passes the look test, and I think he'll bring something to the mix. I really do. http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTN...Colts11404.html
Good stuff! Nice post. :thumbup:
Still not a definite answer as to who's getting the ball on Monday night.

Some more from the article:

Q: Do you have a preference, Mewelde Moore or Onterrio Smith in the backfield?

A: I really don't have a preference. I think both of those guys have a lot of juice and are very exciting players. I love playing with them. They both are unique. One's more of a slasher and makes guys miss. Mewelde is a guy that runs with more power than people give him credit for. He breaks a lot of tackles. We're going to throw different guys at them and make them adjust to us.
Notice, no mention of Bennett. Not at all...Interesting note on Moore running with power, even I initially didn't give him credit in that area...

Q: Do you think the offense works better with one or the other?

A: I don't think so. I think ultimately its all on us. It's on the back of Matt Birk and company. Those guys up front and how well they play is ultimately how well this offense plays no matter who's on the field.
The OL plays a huge factor, but Tice still prefers Smith from other quotes...
Q: Is it unique to have this good of receivers out of the backfield?

A: Oh yeah. I think that gives us an added edge when you have guys that can come out of the backfield and catch the ball and make things happen. It's huge for us and that's a key ingredient in our running back corps. That's a great analysis.
Which is the bigest answer why Onterrio is preferred over Bennett.

Notice, no mention of Bennett. Not at all...
That's because Bennett wasn't part of the question being asked. That should be rather obvious, switz. Even your own source(s) are telling you the team prefers Bennett to Moore as a starter. The question is whether they prefer Smith over Bennett. If your source(s) are correct, we'll have that answer come Monday night. And as I said once before, if the Vikings' coaches really do believe Smith is the best RB on the roster, now is the time to prove it. The time for lip service is over. At no point in this season has the running game become more important to Minnesota than it is right now (sans Moss) and this week (facing the Colts).

That's because Bennett wasn't part of the question being asked. That should be rather obvious, switz.
Yeah, but the reason Bennett wasn't mentioned was because the questioner already knew Onterrio was going to start instead of Moore. That was what I was pointing out...

That's because Bennett wasn't part of the question being asked. That should be rather obvious, switz.
Yeah, but the reason Bennett wasn't mentioned was because the questioner already knew Onterrio was going to start instead of Moore. That was what I was pointing out...
Gotcha. The writing certainly does seem to be on the wall as far as Smith being the guy Monday night. All of the rumblings and comments we've heard so far suggest he's going to get his chance. It should be real interesting to see what happens.

UPDATE...November 4, 2004 at 11:41 PM

Moore's injury is healing slowly

Kevin Seifert,  Star Tribune

November 5, 2004

As receiver Randy Moss underwent an MRI test Thursday to assess the condition of his injured right hamstring, the Vikings were making plans to play Indianapolis on Monday night without a second offensive starter.

Rookie running back Mewelde Moore, who has started the past four games, is recovering slowly from a sprained left ankle suffered in Sunday's loss to the New York Giants. Moore jogged gingerly while sitting out practice Thursday, and coach Mike Tice indicated his instinct is to rest him this week.

Onterrio Smith's return from a four-game suspension provides the luxury of resting Moore while Smith, Michael Bennett and Moe Williams share the load.

"[The logjam] normally takes care of itself," Tice said, "and [this week's] probably will take care of itself. ... We have plenty of backs."

Whether Smith or Bennett starts in Moore's place probably is a moot subject. "They'll both get a chance to touch the ball a lot," Tice said.

If Moore is inactive, Kelly Campbell and Derek Ross will handle kickoff returns.

Meanwhile, Moss submitted to the MRI test 16 days after initially suffering the injury. Tice reiterated that Moss has not suffered a setback but said it was time "to evaluate exactly where it's at."

Tice will not reveal his exact plans for Moss other than to list him as questionable on the team's injury report. All indications continue to suggest Moss will miss the first game of his career. His status for the Nov. 14 matchup at Green Bay will not be addressed until next week.

"The main thing is we don't want him to take a step backwards," Tice said. "We've been a little blessed and lucky to this point where he hasn't taken a step backwards. At a certain point, you're not going to maintain that luck."
Regardless if OSmith starts or not, he'll get touches and points.

another article
One positive note is that the Vikings have running back Onterrio Smith back this week.It could be the Vikings will improve their chance to move the ball by playing two of their top four running backs at the same time."You can't use them all at the same time at the I-back spot. But we're going to look into some things, of ways to get the best players on the field," Linehan said."I hope we can figure out a way. I think there's things we can do to get our best players out there."One thing in favor of the underdog Vikings going into Monday's game is that the Colts defense has not been good. Putting two running backs in the same backfield will cause the Colts some problems.

While it's looking like Smith is going to be the main guy, if Bennett gets around 10 carries as switz's sources indicate and if he's also involved in the passing game (assuming the Vikings are serious about finding ways to get him and Smith on the field together), Bennett could very well be worth a look as a RB3 in larger flex leagues this week.Just some more food for thought.

Let me first preface this comment by saying I have both Bennett and SOD. Would it not make more sense that with SOD coming off of 4 weeks of no contact and one runningback in Moore already being injured that they may ease Smith back into the flow as they have done with Bennett the last couple of weeks to avoid injuring Smith who is obviously the more talented back, who they need for a strong push down the stretch. It seems they would not want him to get thrown right back into full contact and get hurt when they already have Moore out and a seemingly healthy Bennett who has just started getting carries again. Just my .02 and not wanting to get screwed by starting SOD and then Bennett gets all the prime action.

Let me first preface this comment by saying I have both Bennett and SOD. Would it not make more sense that with SOD coming off of 4 weeks of no contact and one runningback in Moore already being injured that they may ease Smith back into the flow as they have done with Bennett the last couple of weeks to avoid injuring Smith who is obviously the more talented back, who they need for a strong push down the stretch. It seems they would not want him to get thrown right back into full contact and get hurt when they already have Moore out and a seemingly healthy Bennett who has just started getting carries again. Just my .02 and not wanting to get screwed by starting SOD and then Bennett gets all the prime action.
Possibly, though Bennett has proven he can get hurt WITHOUT contact, so doubt that will be a factor..

So I guess people will be seeing your O face Monday night too?
...lOOks like GrOOVus is in. :excited:
just toss some directions over here, and i'll come for the game too :D
I am a Ducks fan and live in Oregon so I have always been a nig supporter fo O.But to think he is going to go right back to the role he had when M Bennett was hurt and MM had not been discovered is crazy.

You have a 3 headed monster here and all of them are on a short leash.

O would have to tear it up bigtime in order to get 75% of the work.

I'm not so sure he will 4 weeks off and R moss quest

Interesting note on Moore running with power, even I initially didn't give him credit in that area...
I noted that multiple times in this thread as his major strength and as one ADVANTAGE he has displayed over O Smith - the ability to break more tackles.

I have all three and it would clear things up considerably if Moore is out.  I think O Smith is the best talent in the long run and if you say you have sources, I will gladly play O this week as RB3..  I hope you are right Switz.. But that's a big Matza ball dangling out there if Bennett gets the start and most of the carries..
How solid is your source? I've got McGahee ready to roll, but I'd rather stick in Onterrio. I remember someone last season posting a Vikings "source" and the poster was dead on. It was the same debate: Onto vs. Bennett. Bennett got the token start but Onto carried the load and absolutely tore it up....

How solid is your source? I've got McGahee ready to roll, but I'd rather stick in Onterrio. I remember someone last season posting a Vikings "source" and the poster was dead on. It was the same debate: Onto vs. Bennett. Bennett got the token start but Onto carried the load and absolutely tore it up....
That was switz if I'm not mistaken and it was the Vikings-Chiefs game from last season.

All this postulation and guestimation has given me an ulcer..... some of it is "Coach Speak" translation, other parts are wishful thinking.....As a M Moore & O Smith owner, I am in the fortunate situation on not being required to start either of them due to bye/injury. HOWEVER, I really want to start O Smith as I believe he offers more potential than K McCardell.Will this come down to a GAME TIME DECISION *(and Monday Night will cause all of us to miss the line-up submission deadline).?????IMO, O Smith will be the lead RB and Bennett will get a few touches (some time at Split End/Flanker).

Interesting note on Moore running with power, even I initially didn't give him credit in that area...
I noted that multiple times in this thread as his major strength and as one ADVANTAGE he has displayed over O Smith - the ability to break more tackles.
I've been saying this all along. Somehow that was a knock on Moore, but after watching the Vikes game that was televised here in NY a few weeks back, it was clear to me that kid was every bit as solid as an inside running, with power and ability to break tackles, as he was as a receiving back. I believe there is a general misconception that O.Smith is somehow better than Moore in this area, but by my eyes Moore is at least as good as Smith (and has advantages over smith in other parts of the game).

I was that guy last year :D

In that case.....I'm all inDon't let me down!! :thumbup:

I have all three and it would clear things up considerably if Moore is out.  I think O Smith is the best talent in the long run and if you say you have sources, I will gladly play O this week as RB3.. 

I hope you are right Switz.. But that's a big Matza ball dangling out there if Bennett gets the start and most of the carries..
In that case.....I'm all inDon't let me down!! :thumbup:
Does that mean you'll be coming to our O' Party?

doesn't look like MM will go

Nov 5, 4:01 PM ESTVikings RB Moore Questionable for Indy EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Minnesota Vikings running back Mewelde Moore missed his third straight practice Friday with a sprained left ankle and was downgraded to questionable for Monday's game at Indianapolis.Moore, who leads the Vikings with 64 carries for 376 yards, is recovering slowly after being injured in last weekend's loss to the New York Giants. He wore a protective boot while watching practice Friday."We'll take a look at him (Saturday)," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "If he can't (practice) tomorrow, then we'll make a move there and maybe downgrade him again."Onterrio Smith, reinstated this week after serving a four-game suspension for substance abuse, and Michael Bennett will see action in the backfield Monday
Mewelde dowgraded to questionable

I believe there is a general misconception that O.Smith is somehow better than Moore in this area, but by my eyes Moore is at least as good as Smith (and has advantages over smith in other parts of the game).
True dat - bigger doesn't always mean more powerful/tougher.I have watched OSmith since his freshman year with the Ducks and I can promise you he does not look for the contact - he's a great runner, but Moore is much more of a power running back than O Smith.And me and Switz were probably the "O"riginal SOD pimpers last May.

If Moore is out, SOD and Bennett look like good plays this week to me. Esp. if they plan to use both at the same time and to split Bennett out on occassion. MNF @ IND, I feel the need, the need, for speed.

Me n' Switz will be having an "O" Party Monday Night.  Special guests include Mrs. Bennettsworth.  You are all invited to O's coming out party.  :unsure:   He will not lose the starting job until 2007.  :excited:

B.Y.O.B.
First we'll :popcorn: and :banned: , then :headbang: baby :excited:
Indeed. Then, I'll cOmmand the stage, leading a stirring renditiOn Of "The BOys are Back in TOwn!" :excited: :headbang:

Meanwhile, O walks in, shoving Mrs. Bennettsworth aside, and giving Me-MO the "hand", while I introduce a top 6 RB -- until Bush leaves the Oval Office!

Be there! MOnday, 9:OO E.S.T. :suds: :hifive:

*** the preceding annOuncement was spOnsOred by Big O Tires ***
Starting Smith in all 4 leagues... The train will be leaving the station shortly, gents. Hop aboard.

All of this talk has got me thinking about starting O. Smith instead of C. Martin. Would any of you guys do the same if you were in my situation. I have always been a fan of the Monday night bullet... any bold ideas...

All of this talk has got me thinking about starting O. Smith instead of C. Martin. Would any of you guys do the same if you were in my situation. I have always been a fan of the Monday night bullet... any bold ideas...
I am starting Smith over Martin in two leagues -- with ZERO apprehension. Besides Buffalo's very good D (4th vs. the run), the Jets are on a short week, and Minnie's only chance is to slam the run.DO IT. :yes:

I agree with your Monday night assessment. It's always nice to have someone who can rally your team to a victory and someone to give you a rooting interest in the game.I like Smith this week. I think he comes back with something to prove after the suspension. HOWEVER, starting a guy who might only get 5 carries over a guy who you know will get 20-plus is very risky. Put it this way: Can you live with watching Smith play and play well if he's on your bench? If that would drive you nuts, go ahead and play him. I think Martin is a much SAFER pick for the week. I think Smith has all the buzz and glory. Nothing would surprise me. I'd play Martin and not watch the game Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread