What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Onterrio Smith ready (1 Viewer)

Slash

Footballguy
Vikings: Onterrio Smith stays ready with simulations Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune November 3, 2004 VNOT1103 Day after day, running back Onterrio Smith trudged off to the Vikings' indoor practice facility, accompanied only by assistant strength and conditioning coach Mark Ellis.Together, they created a mock game to simulate the action Smith was missing while serving a four-week suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Typically, the drill included four series of 12 plays, with a 35-second play clock keeping the pace.The mock games, along with daily work in the Winter Park weight room to pass the time, left Smith a chiseled 216 pounds when he returned to practice Tuesday. "He doesn't look good," coach Mike Tice said. "He looks fantastic."Smith might not start Monday night's game at Indianapolis, but he will play extensively as the Vikings prepare for what probably will be their first game in seven years without receiver Randy Moss."I expect to come in and get thrown out there as soon as possible," Smith said. He took advantage of a change in league policy that allows suspended players to continue working with teammates and coaches, provided they do not participate in practice."I wouldn't even say I'm rusty because I was still able to go to meetings," Smith said. "I was in there, seeing everything that everyone else was seeing from the opposing team. So I didn't miss a beat. I couldn't get out on the field for practice, but everything else, I'm sharp on."Moss updateLike a handful of other veterans, Moss was excused from Tuesday's schedule of meetings and an hour-long practice. All players are off today and will resume preparations Thursday for the Colts.After playing sparingly during the Vikings' past two games, Moss seems likely to miss his first game since joining the team in 1998. The Vikings probably won't announce Moss' status prior to the game, but Tice acknowledged, "I know which way I'm leaning."

not sure where you see moore's exit here.
Moore will get one more start, but I expect Tice to ride his fresh back the rest of the season. Onterrio Smith is well-suited for ball-control offense with a big play in there.

Moore will get one more start, but I expect Tice to ride his fresh back the rest of the season. Onterrio Smith is well-suited for ball-control offense with a big play in there.
i hope you're right (i own smith), but as someone pointed out in another thread, the picture becomes skewed without moss, unless smith is so spectacular that he can excel without moss.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hope you're right (i own smith), but as someone pointed out in another thread, the picture becomes skewed without moss, unless smith is so spectacular that he can excel without moss.
Moore owner. I would prefer Moore but I think Smith is going to be the guy. The only way Moore keeps his gig is if he starts out of the gate in an impressive manner. In other words, he would have to keep Smith off the field. I don't know if that will happen.

As a viking fan, I am thrilled about Onterrio's return. He is the prototype 'chain-mover' for the NFL and that is exactly what the Vikings need. Like a prize fighter, Onterrio offers us a perfect jab to keep the opposition off balance.

Allow me to chime in - Moore and Bennett owner here.1. I think the combination of capable MIN RB's and the strong offensive line mean each and every back between Smith, Bennett and Moore will succeed, and this makes it even worse from a fantasy perspective to accurately predict the success of any of those backs.2. Onterrio Smith did well earlier this season, because he was the only RB that Tice looked to. Bennett and Moe Williams were hurt, so Onterrio was the guy - and he didn't disappoint. Mewelde Moore did well in his stint as the starting RB (despite the NYG game) because he was the only RB that Tice looked to during his 15 minutes of fame. The only elite RB that has not had the job to himself this season is Michael Bennett - I doubt that he will either, barring a pre-game collision between Onterrio and Mewelde that knocks them both unconscious. 3. So where does this leave the RB distribution when all backs are healthy -AKA week 9? We will probably see Moore in series 1, followed by Smith in series 2 and maybe Bennett in series 3. Whichever RB does the best will likely be the main RB the rest of the game, with appearances by M. Moore in 3rd down situations and an occasional play for Bennett to give the other RB's a breather.4. Fantasy speaking it's a nightmare. I'm already scratching my head whether to go with Anthony Thomas or Thomas Jones. I'm not looking forward to this headache in MIN. I would much rather see Tice make a decision and stick with that person, than go through the mess of wondering which RB is going to produce for MIN every week.

3. So where does this leave the RB distribution when all backs are healthy -AKA week 9? We will probably see Moore in series 1, followed by Smith in series 2 and maybe Bennett in series 3.
I've said it before, but I really don't see how this is going to work. That's not to say Tice won't try it, but it's hard enough to effectively utilize two RBs in a time-sharing arrangement, but three? Or maybe four if Moe is still part of the picture in some way? I think it's going to backfire. If it happens this week, I don't think it will continue to happen because I see disaster written all over that plan. I'm interested if anybody can remember any team ever going with a sustained plan of a three-headed RB situation besides the Dolphins in the 70s. I can't recall anyone else trying it or being successful if they did. Can anyone else?

As much as I am pimping Onterrio for the starting role, I am not implying that I think he will be a fantasy stud...Moore and Bennett will still get about 3 or 4 carries each (6 to 8 carries) and aside from that, I think Moe will still get some goal line carries and maybe some snaps on 3rd and mid\ling.

I have Moore and Smith myself. As Wheelhouse just suggested, neither of them looks like the significantly better play than the other. Tice certainly seemed enthused with the return of Smith. And, the Vikes are starting a bit of what looks like a tailspin now. If their best back is Smith, Tice won't sit him because of any dislike for his personal habits that resulted in the suspension. He's probably expecting - as many of us are - that if anything Smith will come out even stronger than before. He showed what he could do earlier in the season as The Man, and he knows this is probably his best chance - against a crappy D - to show again that he's still the one they want behind Culpepper.Moss' return is actually more of a concern to me, even though I don't own him. It's shocking how arguably the most potent offense in the league suddenly looks like the Miami Dolphins without their superstar drawing extra attention. Without Moss, I don't see any of the backs doing particularly well. If they can't keep up with Indy's offense, they won't be running the ball, and there also won't be as many short passes to the backs.

I'm interested if anybody can remember any team ever going with a sustained plan of a three-headed RB situation besides the Dolphins in the 70s. I can't recall anyone else trying it or being successful if they did. Can anyone else?
I don't know about 3 RB's sharing the load but....Didn't Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner each have 1000 yards rushing for the Browns in the mid 80's? 1985 or 1986 maybe?!

Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year. He's not thinking to the future and he'll play the best back. Onterrio is the best back on the team.

Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year.
I believe Red as assured Tice that if he still owns the team, he will be the coach. The holdup is, and I believe Red has told this to Mike, if the ownership changes they will want to bring in their own guy. So if Tice is under contract, he most likely will be fired. However, if the club is sold and Tice is under contract, it will be his option to sign with the team and not the new ownership's decision to fire him or not.I think Tice's job is as secure as it could be.

I fully agree, but I have also seen very little outside of necessity to convince me that Tice won't filter in backs to spell his starter and to fill specialty roles all game long.Moore is an excellent back out of the backfield, and for breaking tackles. Mo is great around the goalline and as a blocker. Bennett is a homerun hitter/change of pace. Even if OSmith gets the start in two weeks, I predict he averages 14 or 15 carries and at most 3 catches per game the rest of the way - that's as the starter.Be ready for RBBC again now that Tic e has all his toys in the backfield healthy - I really believe that once the game starts, he can't help himself but to play all his backs. And if OSmith fumbles even once, who knows what'll happen.

I'm interested if anybody can remember any team ever going with a sustained plan of a three-headed RB situation besides the Dolphins in the 70s. I can't recall anyone else trying it or being successful if they did. Can anyone else?
Rushing Stats 2003 Philadelphia Eagles Player No Yds Avg TD Brian Westbrook 117 613 5.2 7 Correll Buckhalter 126 542 4.3 8 Duce Staley 96 463 4.8 5 not to mention "the other RB"Donovan McNabb 71 355 5.0 3

Rushing Stats 2003 Philadelphia Eagles Player No Yds Avg TD Brian Westbrook 117 613 5.2 7 Correll Buckhalter 126 542 4.3 8 Duce Staley 96 463 4.8 5 not to mention "the other RB"Donovan McNabb 71 355 5.0 3
Well good thing it didn't happen real recently or anything. :P I completely spaced on the Eagles last season. Good catch. Maybe Tice is going to follow Reid's lead here. We'll see.

Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year. He's not thinking to the future and he'll play the best back. Onterrio is the best back on the team.
:confused: Its amazing what people can rationalize if they try really really hard.
I think it makes sense.Onterrio is the best back. His problems are behind him. And Tice, with or without Moss, is not thinking about making players happy, at this point. He needs to win. They collapse and his job is on the line -- rightfully so.So, yeah, if you've got what you consider the most talented back healthy, fresh, and very much NEEDED right now -- you ride that horse.

3. So where does this leave the RB distribution when all backs are healthy -AKA week 9? We will probably see Moore in series 1, followed by Smith in series 2 and maybe Bennett in series 3.
I've said it before, but I really don't see how this is going to work. That's not to say Tice won't try it, but it's hard enough to effectively utilize two RBs in a time-sharing arrangement, but three? Or maybe four if Moe is still part of the picture in some way? I think it's going to backfire. If it happens this week, I don't think it will continue to happen because I see disaster written all over that plan. I'm interested if anybody can remember any team ever going with a sustained plan of a three-headed RB situation besides the Dolphins in the 70s. I can't recall anyone else trying it or being successful if they did. Can anyone else?
2000Raiders had success with Wheatly going over 1000 yards rushing, Kaufman going over 600 yards in offense in the change of pace/3rd down role, and Crockett as the goal line back scoring 7 TDs. Seem to remember other, lesser RBs contributing as well, as Gruden had a stable of competent backs.

Well good thing it didn't happen real recently or anything. :P I completely spaced on the Eagles last season. Good catch. Maybe Tice is going to follow Reid's lead here. We'll see.
im just feeling all fuzzy that i got a stat wheelhouse couldnt think of :brush: :bag:

I have not looked up any facts to preface this, but very rarely do we see 2 GOOD RB's share time. I the Phily case Duce went down and Buckhalter went down and were replaced. I have never seen a case where RB's are consitantly rotated out by possesions. The way I see it playing out is whoever starts will get the bulk of the carries. With that 0-line, whoever is running should have a good day. Unless Moore starts off slow and one of the others spell him and are a lot more effective, Moore(if started) should get the bulk. Why would you take out a RB that is running well, just because you can? I think we can all agree that whoever is the RB will excell. O.Smith - why would you put the team on a shoulders of a guy that is one step away from missing the rest of the season?See - Q Car..!!!!Cowboy fan and Moore owner. :brush:

:confused: Its amazing what people can rationalize if they try really really hard.
I think it makes sense.Onterrio is the best back. His problems are behind him. And Tice, with or without Moss, is not thinking about making players happy, at this point. He needs to win. They collapse and his job is on the line -- rightfully so.So, yeah, if you've got what you consider the most talented back healthy, fresh, and very much NEEDED right now -- you ride that horse.
:thumbup: It's simple really.

Didn't Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner each have 1000 yards rushing for the Browns in the mid 80's? 1985 or 1986 maybe?!
Yes they did, as did Ickey Woods and James Brooks for the Bengals somewhere in the 80's. The Bengals had a 3rd strong RB in the mix .... Stanley something, the guy that got coked up the night before the super bowl.edited to add:Pretty sure it was Stanley Wilson.

Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year.
I believe Red as assured Tice that if he still owns the team, he will be the coach. The holdup is, and I believe Red has told this to Mike, if the ownership changes they will want to bring in their own guy. So if Tice is under contract, he most likely will be fired. However, if the club is sold and Tice is under contract, it will be his option to sign with the team and not the new ownership's decision to fire him or not.I think Tice's job is as secure as it could be.
That's interesting Blue. Hadn't heard that.However, he's in the last year of his contract and he's the lowest paid coach in the NFL. If Red liked him that much he could have at least given him more money this year.

Tice is in the last year of his contract and he doesn't feel safe at all about retaining his job after this year.  He's not thinking to the future and he'll play the best back.  Onterrio is the best back on the team.
:thumbup: It's simple really.
I dropped Moore this week for Steven Jackson. Mind you, it's a ten teamer with only 4 RB slots, but the point is, I think Moore's days are done -- for this year, anyway. Oh sure, he'll get some, but Smith will start his way to a great finish, beginning with the Colts.

Interesting. But they collapse, and his job is not secure. It's the NFL, and he needs to win now, especially with that cast.I personally think he is horrible, but that's another subject.

I the Phily case Duce went down and Buckhalter went down and were replaced. I have never seen a case where RB's are consitantly rotated out by possesions.
actually you are wrong, Duce and Buckhalter did not miss significant time, they were all rotated out all season long depending on situation and game.Staley was involved all 16 games while Buck and Westbrook played 15 each.

I think Moore's days are done -- for this year, anyway. Oh sure, he'll get some, but Smith will start his way to a great finish, beginning with the Colts.
I agree Moore will give inconsistent production from here on out andmakes a risky FF start.I disagree that that means the point you made in bold is true, though.

Just like Slash's premise is, IMO, a bad one - OSmith getting a lot of work - even getting the start - is not automatically "bye-bye" Moore. As I said above, I think Tice really can't help himself - with four pretty toys to play with, he will want to use all of them.

I honestly believe OSmith will belimited by Tice using other backs - he';ll still make a great play, but won't be the "getting everything" back like he was while Bennett was injured last year and this year.

OK,So the point is you can go back to the 80's and find maybe 4-5 times teams ran with a 3 headed monster. The point is it does not happen very much.Far be it from me to question the greatness of Mort, but looking at it from down here in Texas, I see no reason why one RB will not get the bulk of the carries.I am a Moore owner who is thinking about dropping him tonight. But, if he starts off the game well, I think he will continue to start over the oft injured Bennet and Otis "Step 3" Smith.Mavzfan :P

I think Moore's days are done -- for this year, anyway.  Oh sure, he'll get some, but Smith will start his way to a great finish, beginning with the Colts.
I agree Moore will give inconsistent production from here on out andmakes a risky FF start.I disagree that that means the point you made in bold is true, though.
I didn't bold it, you did. ;) And I know it's not true. It's what I think will happen. It is FF.

moore's days are all but over. last week was his tryout for the future imho. it was the first game with one of the other rb's. & he blew it. tice goes with who's hot at that moment. see the fumble last week.

the vikes have got to be scared of thier unbelievable ability to tank the 2nd half. tice will use whoever is going good at the moment & moore has already started to slip.

moore's days are all but over. last week was his tryout for the future imho. it was the first game with one of the other rb's. & he blew it. tice goes with who's hot at that moment. see the fumble last week.

the vikes have got to be scared of thier unbelievable ability to tank the 2nd half. tice will use whoever is going good at the moment & moore has already started to slip.
:thumbup: Plus, he's a rookie. Needing a running game, you go with a bruiser. Onterrio is the guy.

I fully agree, but I have also seen very little outside of necessity to convince me that Tice won't filter in backs to spell his starter and to fill specialty roles all game long.Moore is an excellent back out of the backfield, and for breaking tackles. Mo is great around the goalline and as a blocker. Bennett is a homerun hitter/change of pace. Even if OSmith gets the start in two weeks, I predict he averages 14 or 15 carries and at most 3 catches per game the rest of the way - that's as the starter.Be ready for RBBC again now that Tic e has all his toys in the backfield healthy - I really believe that once the game starts, he can't help himself but to play all his backs. And if OSmith fumbles even once, who knows what'll happen.
Does this turn into Onterrio becoming the starter, but with Moore in on 3rd down and Moe the goal line back? Bennett is the odd man out, but should should get occasional carries spelling Onterrio. This is way in plays out logically but this Tice's team so you never know. I think a lot Onterrio owners are hoping that he gets most of the carries, but I don't see it. He will probably have some big games, but then have other where he only gets 10 carries. Huge risk IMO, especially in the playoffs. The only Viking RB I have left after dropping Bennett last week is Moore and I'm getting rid of him this week.

As I said above, I think Tice really can't help himself - with four pretty toys to play with, he will want to use all of them.
Marc,What are the chances of the Vikes actually dressing (is that the term? I know it is in hockey) all four backs each game? It seems like a waste of roster space to me. Moe will obviously be an every game guy for his goaline and blocking abilities, and assuming Onterrio does take a hold of the "starting" role in Minny, wouldn't it make a bit more sense to alternate Bennett and Moore from game to game as the backup to Smith, using whichever of the two is more suited to play against the particular opponent that week? Just a thought.

I'm certainly in the vast minority, but I believe Moore is the better pure runner. My opinion has come after following both in college & the NFL (albeit limited experience as pros).

I'm not a YPC guy, but it's interesting that Smith is 42 for 198 (4.7 YPC) & Moore is 64 for 376 (5.9 YPC). It's also interesting that Moore did a lot of his work without Moss, which certainly made it harder to run. And it's not like Moore is a scatback. He's a strong runner like Smith.

Anyway, I realize this is a small sample size & all that. However, I think it's a mistake to jump on Smith's bandwagon so soon. Smith may very well be the feature back from here on out this season, but Moore will eventually be the guy, IMO. It may not be this year, but he's an excellent dynasty player to acquire while his value is relatively low.

If Moss and Robinson were healthy I don't think Tice would activate all 4 RB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bennett lined up in the slot this week as a WR in certain situations. With Moore getting the start against Indy's lousy D, I can't see how he won't have a good game. As far as the future goes, who really knows how this mess plays out. I own Moore and Williams and I wish I wasn't even a part of this cluster f _ _ _.

I agree Warbird, I think most people who drafted Bennett relatively early preinjury got suckered into handcuffing him with Smith if available, and then eventually picked up Moore off waivers. I know that's how it played out for me. But I was able to trade off Bennett and Moore at Moore's peak value because I just didn't want to deal with "wasting" three roster spots on 1 position from 1 team. I still have Smith so I still have interest in the topic though. We'll see how it plays out.

If Moss and Robinson were healthy I don't think Tice would activate all 4 RB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bennett lined up in the slot this week as a WR in certain situations. With Moore getting the start against Indy's lousy D, I can't see how he won't have a good game. As far as the future goes, who really knows how this mess plays out. I own Moore and Williams and I wish I wasn't even a part of this cluster f _ _ _.
I would be, he's the worst receiver (hands) of the four backs in question. I think it'd be more likely to see Moore out there. But with Burleson, Wiggins and Campbell still around I don't think there's a pressing need to start putting the running backs in the slots much.I think the Vikes could use a little more pound it inside the tackles running to ease up pressure on the passing game with Moss questionable - I think Smith is the best man for that job, and I think Tice believes that also, as he's often mentioned Onterrio as his grind it out kill the clock back.

If Moore starts off strong, which is a good possibilty against Indy, how will this affect Tice's future decision? Last week, nobody performed well. I still believe Moore has as a good a shot as Smith or Bennett to be the starter. BTW, the Injury list just came out and Moore is listed as Probable.

If Moore starts off strong, which is a good possibilty against Indy, how will this affect Tice's future decision? Last week, nobody performed well. I still believe Moore has as a good a shot as Smith or Bennett to be the starter. BTW, the Injury list just came out and Moore is listed as Probable.
It will be Moore as starterSmith will be worked in and probably end up with the most carriesBennett may get a few carries if Moore isn't healthyMoe has no role other than leadership

Moore and Bennett owner here. Nobody is making a case for Bennett, so here it is. The Vikes are without Moss, so they replace the production with another big play weapon with breakaway speed- Bennett. As the game goes on and the DL gets tired I think he will be the back that makes the most of his opportunities. My league rewards long touchdowns and RB receiving TDs. I'm thinking about rolling the dice with Bennett. One carry for a 68 yard TD is worth more to me than 12 touches at 5.1 each.

As I said above, I think Tice really can't help himself - with four pretty toys to play with, he will want to use all of them.
Marc,What are the chances of the Vikes actually dressing (is that the term? I know it is in hockey) all four backs each game?
They'll have all four "active" b/c either O or Moore runs back kicks and Moe Williams plays on special teams - and you simply do not make Bennett inactive unless he is hurt.

I'm certainly in the vast minority, but I believe Moore is the better pure runner. My opinion has come after following both in college & the NFL (albeit limited experience as pros).
I hear what you are saying, but strongly disagree - I watched a lot of OSmith in both college and pro, and watched all the Vikes games with Moore ths year.What Moore was doing to get that high YPC was breaking tackles that OSmith and Bennett don't break. That's the thing with him - breaking tackles. And his real worth was getting 50+ YPG through the air.

OSmith is a solid runner with moves, vision, and breakaway skills. I thikn they are comp[arable runners, but I thikn OSmith is more "polished" runner - if that makes sense - and Moore is a "sneaky" runner who makes good things happen.

[quote=Marc Levin,Nov 3 2004, 07:42 PM

What Moore was doing to get that high YPC was breaking tackles that OSmith and Bennett don't break. That's the thing with him - breaking tackles. And his real worth was getting 50+ YPG through the air.

LOL. You make it sound as though breaking tackles is a bad thing.

(I know what you're getting at with regard to the rest of your message, just busting chops).

Anyone know when EXACTLY the suspension ends? Is it as soon as Week 8 was over? Or just before game-time for Week 9? Or somewhere in between? Just wondering for activation purposes in my keeper league.

I hear what you are saying, but strongly disagree - I watched a lot of OSmith in both college and pro, and watched all the Vikes games with Moore ths year.What Moore was doing to get that high YPC was breaking tackles that OSmith and Bennett don't break. That's the thing with him - breaking tackles. And his real worth was getting 50+ YPG through the air.

OSmith is a solid runner with moves, vision, and breakaway skills. I thikn they are comp[arable runners, but I thikn OSmith is more "polished" runner - if that makes sense - and Moore is a "sneaky" runner who makes good things happen.
Marc,Your post is confusing. Should we take away that you think Moore is less of a runner because he breaks tackles? Doesn't Smith do this as well? What about polished makes Smith any better? How does that help his effectiveness?

Moore and Bennett owner here. Nobody is making a case for Bennett, so here it is. The Vikes are without Moss, so they replace the production with another big play weapon with breakaway speed- Bennett. As the game goes on and the DL gets tired I think he will be the back that makes the most of his opportunities. My league rewards long touchdowns and RB receiving TDs. I'm thinking about rolling the dice with Bennett. One carry for a 68 yard TD is worth more to me than 12 touches at 5.1 each.
Except Smith can also break the long ones, but is less likely to lose yardage, and is a better receiver, and a more powerful runner. Sorry, the spped argument doesn't hold water versus Onterrio.

Marc,Your post is confusing. Should we take away that you think Moore is less of a runner because he breaks tackles? Doesn't Smith do this as well? What about polished makes Smith any better? How does that help his effectiveness?
IMO, OSmith has more vision, is a more polished runner going through the hole, and simply runs better.Moore is more of an all around back with a lot of heart.

I thikn BOTH could be equally good behind that Minnie line, but I believe you could stick OSmith in a variety of systems and he would perform while Moore really needs a certain sized hole to find his way through the line.

On breaking tackles, of COURSE it is a positive - a HUGE positive - it's what made Droughns go for tons of yardage while Griff was getting clocked behind the LOS.

On OSMith breaking tackles, he CAN break tackles, but he does (did) it nowhere near as consistently as Moore was doing it before the Gints game.

How about the '78 Patriots, who set the NFL record with 3,165 rushing yards?Sam Cunningham, 768 yards, 8 TDsHorace Ivory, 693 yards, 11 TDsAndy Johnson, 675 yards, 3 TDsSteve Grogan, 539 yards, 3 TDsDon Calhoun, 391 yards, 1 TD

Users who are viewing this thread