What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Onterrio Smith (1 Viewer)

To further my point about wondering how there's any way Tice could trust Smith to be the starter, if other Vikings feel the same way about this as Matt Birk does, it's probably in the team's best interests to just get rid of SOD.

"Onterrio has embarrassed the team, but, first and foremost, he embarrassed himself," Vikings center Matt Birk said. "He's a member of a team, and he represents that team. He hasn't represented us in a positive way. But I think he did more damage to himself."

Link

To further my point about wondering how there's any way Tice could trust Smith to be the starter, if other Vikings feel the same way about this as Matt Birk does, it's probably in the team's best interests to just get rid of SOD.

"Onterrio has embarrassed the team, but, first and foremost, he embarrassed himself," Vikings center Matt Birk said. "He's a member of a team, and he represents that team. He hasn't represented us in a positive way. But I think he did more damage to himself."

Link
How do you find 'just get rid of SOD' out of those comments? Should the Packers just get rid of Ahman Green because he embarrassed himself and the team? No, of course not. Hundreds of NFL players embarrass their teams and themselves every year. He's still got lots of talent and some value for the Vikings.

Onterrio Smith asks that all of you now refer to him as The Whizz. He despised the SOD name and feels that The Whizz is more in line with his character. :lmao:SignedMichael Bennett :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Link
I think SOD certainly represented himself in a positive way. Just not positive for the team ;) .

Link
How do you find 'just get rid of SOD' out of those comments? Should the Packers just get rid of Ahman Green because he embarrassed himself and the team? No, of course not. Hundreds of NFL players embarrass their teams and themselves every year. He's still got lots of talent and some value for the Vikings.
I don't disagree with that although comparing SOD to Ahman Green is nothing short of silly since Green is a Pro Bowl-caliber player and SOD isn't even close to that. But my point is if other players on the team feel the same way about Smith that Birk does than it might be in the team's best interests to part ways with him. I'm just speculating is all. But I still stand behind my question as to how Tice can trust this guy to be his starting RB. I don't see how he can.

Updated News, It appears that Onterrio will not be dealt 3rd strike. LINK

A few comments from the article...

There appears to be nothing the NFL can — or the Vikings will — do to punish running back Onterrio Smith, who was stopped at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport last month with a contraption designed to deceive drug tests.

Already in the NFL's substance-abuse program, with two strikes against him, Smith faces a one-year suspension for his next offense. This, apparently, will not be it.

For there to be a violation, a player would need to make a 'deliberate attempt' to substitute or alter a specimen during a drug test, according to a statement Wednesday by NFL spokesman Greg Aiello. The policy doesn't specifically address possession of paraphernalia outside of a testing situation, Aiello said, but the NFL will investigate to determine whether anything can or should be done.

Smith has twice tested positive for substance abuse. The last time cost him four games during the 2004 season. He now is tested twice a week and attends a mandatory counseling session.
Suspension or not, one thing is clear, he cannot stay away from the weed. It's only a matter of time before he is suspended for a year. I have a friend that smokes everyday of his life and is a very successful business man. He couldn't quit if he wanted to, and he doesn't want to quit. I guess most of the SOD owners are sort of stuck with him. You can't get anything for him, so I guess it's a wait and see situation.

Link
I don't disagree with that although comparing SOD to Ahman Green is nothing short of silly since Green is a Pro Bowl-caliber player and SOD isn't even close to that. But my point is if other players on the team feel the same way about Smith that Birk does than it might be in the team's best interests to part ways with him. I'm just speculating is all. But I still stand behind my question as to how Tice can trust this guy to be his starting RB. I don't see how he can.
I partially agree with you. It would be tough for Tice to trust Onterrio as the starter. But comparing your comments to the Ahman Green situation is definitely legit (though maybe we should pick Najeh Davenport or somebody like that if you are stuck on comparing their on-field skill). Players of ALL skill levels embarrass themselves and their teams. If Green Bay 'got rid' of Brett Favre when he embarrassed himself and the team, of Ahman Green or Najeh Davenport...they would be idiots. You can bet that interviews with all the Green Bay players about Ahman Green would be similar to those of Matt Birk's comments.

Link
I partially agree with you. It would be tough for Tice to trust Onterrio as the starter. But comparing your comments to the Ahman Green situation is definitely legit (though maybe we should pick Najeh Davenport or somebody like that if you are stuck on comparing their on-field skill). Players of ALL skill levels embarrass themselves and their teams. If Green Bay 'got rid' of Brett Favre when he embarrassed himself and the team, of Ahman Green or Najeh Davenport...they would be idiots. You can bet that interviews with all the Green Bay players about Ahman Green would be similar to those of Matt Birk's comments.
I agree that Green has embarrassed the Packers but my point is that teams are going to typically be far more willing to let things run their course with star players -- unless there is a repeated pattern of behavior. And with SOD we already know there is. As stated above, it's clear the guy can't stay off the dope. It's been obvious for years; the Vikings took a chance on him and it doesn't appear to be working out. And once again, my point here is I don't know how Tice can trust him any longer and if you can't trust him and he keeps screwing up and you already have 350 RBs on your roster and you have players who are tired of his act than what's the motivation to keep him around any longer?

Using a syringe, the user fills the bag with a precisely measured amount of water blended with the urine powder to create a clean sample.
Sort of like Tang for your wang...

Link
I agree that Green has embarrassed the Packers but my point is that teams are going to typically be far more willing to let things run their course with star players -- unless there is a repeated pattern of behavior. And with SOD we already know there is. As stated above, it's clear the guy can't stay off the dope. It's been obvious for years; the Vikings took a chance on him and it doesn't appear to be working out. And once again, my point here is I don't know how Tice can trust him any longer and if you can't trust him and he keeps screwing up and you already have 350 RBs on your roster and you have players who are tired of his act than what's the motivation to keep him around any longer?
There is plenty of motivation to keep him around. First on the list would be last season. The Vikings absolutely needed every back they had on their roster. Onterrio has lots of talent (and lots of baggage, nobody is going to argue that). Just cutting him loose is not a smart move.

There is plenty of motivation to keep him around. First on the list would be last season. The Vikings absolutely needed every back they had on their roster. Onterrio has lots of talent (and lots of baggage, nobody is going to argue that). Just cutting him loose is not a smart move.
I'm just wondering if the time has come when the baggage is outweighing the talent. And I think it's a question the Vikings at the very least need to ask.

True words couldn't have been spoken, but Tice is a moron. He didn't stick with Moore last year when it was obivious that he should have. Unless upper management puts the pressure on him, Tice will probably let this ride

True words couldn't have been spoken, but Tice is a moron. He didn't stick with Moore last year when it was obivious that he should have. Unless upper management puts the pressure on him, Tice will probably let this ride
Moore sprained his ankle and was out for four weeks.

Moore sprained his ankle and was out for four weeks.
He was ready to come back in two, if I'm not mistaken and when he was ready, he rode the pine when it was obivious that O was hurt (or hurting for some weed) and he, along with Bennett wasn't getting the job done. If I'm wrong then my bad.

I'm wondering where all these "can't stay off the weed" comments are coming from if Smith is indeed being tested twice a week. He apparently is clean and the NFL testing procedures would seem to preclude use of a Whizzinator or similar masking device. I'd guess they'll give him the "advanced" test on his next sample, but would not bet on him failing given what I've read so far.Maybe he has failed a test and the NFL has not yet released the information, but to suggest that he has been using on a regular basis seems contradicted by the facts we know so far.I agree that Tice has to feel uncomfortable investing too much offensive responsibility in Onterrio, but the guy does have decent talent and a role on the team - just not sure it's as big as it was before this incident.

He was ready to come back in two, if I'm not mistaken and when he was ready, he rode the pine when it was obivious that O was hurt (or hurting for some weed) and he, along with Bennett wasn't getting the job done.

If I'm wrong then my bad.
I can't quite remember. I just know he was on the injured list for four weeks, and when he did return he was relegated to #3 or #4 depth chart. Whether after two weeks he thought he was ready or the doctors thought he was ready, I could not attest to.
I'm wondering where all these "can't stay off the weed" comments are coming from if Smith is indeed being tested twice a week. He apparently is clean and the NFL testing procedures would seem to preclude use of a Whizzinator or similar masking device. I'd guess they'll give him the "advanced" test on his next sample, but would not bet on him failing given what I've read so far.
If he did test clean and he was using an agent or strap-on to circumvent the testing, all that would prove is that the device worked. However, I do agree with your innocent until proven guilty thoughts. They should start using DNA testing on the urine samples. :)

He was ready to come back in two, if I'm not mistaken and when he was ready, he rode the pine when it was obivious that O was hurt (or hurting for some weed) and he, along with Bennett wasn't getting the job done.

I can't quite remember. I just know he was on the injured list for four weeks, and when he did return he was relegated to #3 or #4 depth chart. Whether after two weeks he thought he was ready or the doctors thought he was ready, I could not attest to.
I'm wondering where all these "can't stay off the weed" comments are coming from if Smith is indeed being tested twice a week. He apparently is clean and the NFL testing procedures would seem to preclude use of a Whizzinator or similar masking device. I'd guess they'll give him the "advanced" test on his next sample, but would not bet on him failing given what I've read so far.
If he did test clean and he was using an agent or strap-on to circumvent the testing, all that would prove is that the device worked. However, I do agree with your innocent until proven guilty thoughts. They should start using DNA testing on the urine samples. :)
Blood and hair follicle tests.

Is that a :sadbanana: banana :sadbanana: in your suitcase Mr. Smith or are you just trying to pass another drug test (You no-selfcontrol pot head)? :toilet: Knowing that this guys was in possesion of a fake penis, is an automatic ejection from any draft list I congure up for 2005. What a moron. :wall:

I'm wondering where all these "can't stay off the weed" comments are coming from if Smith is indeed being tested twice a week.  He apparently is clean and the NFL testing procedures would seem to preclude use of a Whizzinator or similar masking device.  I'd guess they'll give him the "advanced" test on his next sample, but would not bet on him failing given what I've read so far.
Against Indy, Onterrio averaged 6.2 yards on 13 carries. The team averaged 5.8 per carry. Against Green Bay, the team averaged 4.4/carry, no one got over 5 carries (16 for the team). Detroit was a bad game, Bennett had only 30 yards on 11 caries, and the team averaged 3.1 on 34 carries. Against Jacksonville, Onterrio had 72 yards on 20 carries (3.6). Against Chicago, Onterrio had 79 yards on 13 carries (6.1). The team averaged 6.6.One bad game against Detroit, and a mediocre game against a good D in Jacksonville. Otherwise the running game did a pretty good job considering the team didn't make a habit of committing to the run.

It is difficult, but not impossible, to beat a government-level drug test. If you push clean urine (even dried urine mixed with water) into your urethra and bladder, you'll end up coming out clean. Simple as that. And painful as that.

the reason moore didnt get the job back when he returned was because tice thought he showed immaturity when he didn't rehab hard enough after getting hurt (if memory serves me right).as for smith, i wonder if denny green would have any interest? i plan on keeping him at the end of the summer unless he's out of work. i can't get the marshall faulk comparisons out of my head from before he was drafted. and every time i saw him play last year, i was impressed.

I seem to remember a lateral that Moore let clank to the ground and stood watching as the other team swooped in. This has Tice pretty riled up. Could be one reason he rode the pine late in the season.

It is extremely hard to keep a urine-sample DNA from degrading. That would seem to preclude using DNA on every sample tested in the NFL.

I'm wondering where all these "can't stay off the weed" comments are coming from if Smith is indeed being tested twice a week.  He apparently is clean and the NFL testing procedures would seem to preclude use of a Whizzinator or similar masking device.  I'd guess they'll give him the "advanced" test on his next sample, but would not bet on him failing given what I've read so far.
It is extremely hard to keep a urine-sample DNA from degrading. That would seem to preclude using DNA on every sample tested in the NFL.
And it is extremely expensive, and a cost that would be passed on by the NFL directly to NFL fans in ticket prices.

Users who are viewing this thread