What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Order the "Next Three" RB's - Williams, White, (1 Viewer)

The teams they would go to being equal and starting jobs available

• 1. Williams 2. White 3. Maroney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1. Williams 2. Maroney 3. White

• 1. White 2. Williams 3. Maroney

• 1. White 2. Maroney 3. Williams

• 1. Maroney 2. Williams 3. White

• 1. Maroney 2. White 3. Williams

• Total voters

Englishteacher

Footballguy
Assume that that these guys would go to equal teams and that they don't have another starting caliber back in front of them or sharing in a significant RBBC.

Of course, some would say Bush isn't an every down feature back but we'll just compare the three RB's here that are competing for RB #2 in the NFL Draft. Which RB would you want as a keeper for your squad? Why?

Williams appears to be the most complete back, although I can see why White and his TD potential would be appealing for FF. I would pick Maroney over White, but White seems like a safe pick.

I would think with all things being equal people are going to have Williams, White, Maroney. Of course every Pac-10 homer is going to vote White though since they believe the world is out to get them.

The real problem though is that all things won't be equal, and the fairly consensus #3 of the bunch (Maroney) will probably end up in the best situation (Indy). I can already see those arguements (Williams vs. Maroney in Indy) starting up.

This doesn't answer your question (and honestly, I'm not sure I have enough information to do so) but I have to say that my raking of these guys at this point will have more to do with their NFL teams than with any particular differences in their skills.

This doesn't answer your question (and honestly, I'm not sure I have enough information to do so) but I have to say that my raking of these guys at this point will have more to do with their NFL teams than with any particular differences in their skills.
I'll have to agree with you but we're very unclear at this point where any of these guys will end up. The only consensus is that Bush, if not the #1 overall pick, will be the first RB taken. So, the comparison is made to compare the skills of the other 3 backs. I'm sure different teams have these guys ranked differently as well. I've seen the three ranked very differently by publications, websites, etc. I was trying to get a feel for what the FBG consensus might be. It appears so far that the evaluations differ greatly here as well.

Williams appears to be the most complete back, although I can see why White and his TD potential would be appealing for FF. I would pick Maroney over White, but White seems like a safe pick.
I'd have to agree with your assessment of Williams but I don't like his injury history or that he's really short. I too think White is the safe pick because you more or less know what you'll get from him and you'd have to like that he would get the ball from 5 yards and in. I've read that Maroney is undersized in that he is a little light. He weighs less than DeAngello despite having a 2 inch taller frame. You wonder if he could maintain added weight. I only saw a couple games last year. Granted, he did very well in them, but he seemed very hesitant about taking contact and it makes me wonder if he's going to be phsical enough. He might not be a good red zone runner.All in all, I thought the three were close but I went White, Williams, Maroney but I'd put Williams ahead of White if I knew he'd be able to stay healthy over the course of a few seasons. That said, big backs have had a hard time in the NFL because they still have to maintain weight and enough speed and are at a disadvantage because they'll get taken out on third downs. There aren't many teams which would have a player of White's stature as their ideal build.

Here is a twist, say Williams drops to Denver, Maroney goes to Indy, and Pittsburg takes White. Who do you take?

Here is a twist, say Williams drops to Denver, Maroney goes to Indy, and Pittsburg takes White. Who do you take?
Williams, and I don't think it's close. The question might become "Bush or Williams". If drafting before the NFL draft as some leagues do (I love the concept, but don't do it in any of my leagues), I take D-Will, White, Maroney, but honestly if I have the 1.04, I'm trading down or maybe just taking Maroney and praying he lands in a favorable situation.

Man. All awesome situations.I have White as last in the bunch, and that situation is the worst of the three (I believe Parker is a solid back and will be involved).

I think then you can't lose with either guy in either spot. Choose your personal favorite. To me that's Williams.

Good thought but the thread was comparing the three from a purely theoretical perspective. Who is going to make the best fantasy back based on skills and injury likelihood? Of course it would be easier to project this if we knew where they were going but lets not put the cart before the horse. Analyze their skills and then project them onto teams. The teams will help but you also want to know what kind of backs these guys are.

To answer your question though:1. Maroney (long term you'd have to like this scenario as Dominic rhodes I think is on a 1 year deal and so far Maroney has been healthy. However, I've heard Maroney has poor receiving skills so this would hurt him in Indy's system. he's also going to be expected to block for Manning. That he hasn't had injury problems is in his favor as well)

2. Williams (Mainly I look at the backs that would be behind them and I like FWP over Tater Bell. Shanny has shown the propensity to go with one guy if he can get away with it. I'd still see FWP getting 3rd down work at least and that he and White's skills are so different they are more likely to use the two of them in a RBBC as changes of pace to each other. Also, with the emergence of Roethlisberger as a premiere QB, the Steeelers have shown the ability to be a dominant passing team so I'd see FWP helping the team when they go to this look.

3. White (see above)

Williams, and I don't think it's close. The question might become "Bush or Williams". If drafting before the NFL draft as some leagues do (I love the concept, but don't do it in any of my leagues), I take D-Will, White, Maroney, but honestly if I have the 1.04, I'm trading down or maybe just taking Maroney and praying he lands in a favorable situation.
I guess I'm the only one that isn't thrilled about the way Shanny handles RB's in Denver. If it comes to light, for example, that Williams isn't so hot at picking up blitzes, then you're right back in the situation you found yourself in two years ago when Griffin and Bell and Anderson and Droughns were all in the mix; this time it would just be Bell and Dayne (and whoever else they pick up). The irony of the success of the Denver running game is that Shanny thinks that virtually any RB will be successful, and the last two years have only expanded that impression given that he's made even game-to-game switches and been all right.

I'd rank them Maroney, White, Williams under those circumstances. What's not to like about Maroney in Indy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have to wait an see who picks who in draft. Whoever Indy gets of the three would be my 1 pick at this time. Everyone else seems to have a capable starter already. Whoever Denver picks would be my two vote.

Users who are viewing this thread