What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Our snowflake society (1 Viewer)

sho nuff

Footballguy
It’s starting with the parents...and the kids  are learning from them.

We have had a lot of rain here in the Nashville area over the past few weeks.  And parents have been complaining that they haven’t cancelled school.  

Last night and again today we got messages from the school system that they have been monitoring roads and conditions are ok to keep schools open.  For parents to use their best judgement about sending their kids and so I’m.

And there are complaint after complaint about how unsafe it is.  Thus far no major flooding (I think some are just worried every time we get a lot of rain that 2010 is happening again).  But some of the complaints are like this...kids will get wet at bus stops.  Seriously...they want schools to close because kids will get wet at bus stops.  Another said because we have had some thunder (not even widespread lightning) that it’s not safe to be at a bus stop.  Apparently schools should #### down of there is lightning. 

Mans then at least one teacher complaining that there are 6 built in “free” days for snow and demanding she should get paid for those 6 days.  Never mind that we aren’t even out of February and 2 inches of snow shuts us down for days down here and counties around of us have had to use several days for widespread illness and the flu has struck several of our schools.

The point though os ot isn’t ok millennials and the kids that are soft...it’s plemty of the parents.

What do we do to get past such behavior?

note:  I used snowflake partially because of the weather related complaints...

Last edited by a moderator:
Parents LOVE to blame the millennials and always fail to realize they are the reason their kids are how they are.   I agree with your contention.  Of course, keep in mind many of these parents were idiot millennials as well, or gen X'ers or whatever they are called.  In their 20's with kids now. 

20 yr olds are essentially brain dead as well....

Parents LOVE to blame the millennials and always fail to realize they are the reason their kids are how they are.   I agree with your contention.  Of course, keep in mind many of these parents were idiot millennials as well, or gen X'ers or whatever they are called.  In their 20's with kids now. 

I’d love it if these were just 20 year olds.

There are millenials in their mid 30s as well. No matter who you point at, a previous generation raised them to be that way. 

And then some guy started a thread about all these complainers on a message board just to complain about them.

And that, gentlemen, is the plot of Inception 2: Electric Boogaloo
Oh...Im definitely laughing at them.  More complaining about what they are teaching their children and how it will perpetuate the entitled behavior.

Some of the same people complaining that they didn't close...would be the ones complaining if they did.

My experience with this sort of thing COULD get political, but I'll try to keep it away from there.  My mother is scared to death to let our kids go out in our neighborhood and play.  She is convinced that they will be swiped up into child trafficking as soon as they leave our sight.  I'll stop there as the source of her concern is where it gets political.

She spent the better part of her Christmas visit trying to convince us of this. 

My experience with this sort of thing COULD get political, but I'll try to keep it away from there.  My mother is scared to death to let our kids go out in our neighborhood and play.  She is convinced that they will be swiped up into child trafficking as soon as they leave our sight.  I'll stop there as the source of her concern is where it gets political.

She spent the better part of her Christmas visit trying to convince us of this. 
Who's the dummy who invented the "play date"?  Just get your butt out there and go play and I don't want to see you until dinner time.  I don't think the world is anymore dangerous now than it was back in 1970.  It's just that the internet made everyone believe it is.

When I was your age, they never cancelled school, and if they did, it wasn’t any of this “called if the night before” bs, you got your ### up and watched the ticker at the bottom of the tv to see if it was closed that morning. I’ve never been in a car accident except I went in the ditch once on my way to school on icy roads. And you know what I did then? I walked to the closest house, who happened to be a farmer, and he offered to pull me out so I was in that ditch climbing under my car to hook up a chain, not calling AAA or my mommy. 

When I was your age, they never cancelled school, and if they did, it wasn’t any of this “called if the night before” bs, you got your ### up and watched the ticker at the bottom of the tv to see if it was closed that morning. I’ve never been in a car accident except I went in the ditch once on my way to school on icy roads. And you know what I did then? I walked to the closest house, who happened to be a farmer, and he offered to pull me out so I was in that ditch climbing under my car to hook up a chain, not calling AAA or my mommy. 
From grades 1-12 my mother gave me ONE ride to school (about a mile walk) when it was raining so hard it was raining sideways.  I had those ugly galoshes and yellow raincoat until high school and she would always make sure I wore them when it was raining.   Same thing when it was snowing.  No buses ran for kids who lived within the city limits.

Oh there is that complaint every time too.  Call it the night before and people complain that they did too early.  Do it in the morning and they complain they didn't have time to arrange child care (as if its impossible to arrange a just in case care ahead of time like any reasonable person would do).

Snorkelson said:
Our school was always last to close. It required every other school around us to call it off first. Never heard of parents spearheading it. 

JohnnyU said:
Who's the dummy who invented the "play date"?  Just get your butt out there and go play and I don't want to see you until dinner time.  I don't think the world is anymore dangerous now than it was back in 1970.  It's just that the internet made everyone believe it is.
Hell has frozen over. I think this is the first thing I have ever agreed with you about. I tell my wife this all the time. Just send the kids over to the ####### house or have the kids come over here. You don't need a ####### day planner to supervise kids playing. I walked to and from kindergarten by myself and walked to friends' houses by myself at the same age. I would probably be in jail and kid in CPS if I did that now.

about sending their kids and so I’m.

Mans then at least one teacher complaining

Never mind that we aren’t even out of February and 2 inches of snow shuts us down for days down here and counties around of us have had to use several days for widespread illness and the flu has struck several of our schools.

The point though os ot isn’t ok millennials and the kids that are soft...it’s plemty of the parents.
Honestly man, you should proofread your posts or something. It's hard to decipher these meatball runes

Hell has frozen over. I think this is the first thing I have ever agreed with you about. I tell my wife this all the time. Just send the kids over to the ####### house or have the kids come over here. You don't need a ####### day planner to supervise kids playing. I walked to and from kindergarten by myself and walked to friends' houses by myself at the same age. I would probably be in jail and kid in CPS if I did that now.
http://www.freerangekids.com/the-free-range-kids-parents-bill-of-rights/

I might get it just to support George P.  I have a hard time actually reading books- I'm too drawn to phone/computer/videogames etc.  
Word.... you could prob find an audio book and listen to it. I ask bc im trying to expand my russia conspiracy sources. I might try to find sn audiobook myself 

Isn’t a “play date” just a scheduled time to bring your kid over someone else’s house? There are so few sidewalks between developments anymore that kids have to be driven. Leading to a need to get a ride...

Word.... you could prob find an audio book and listen to it. I ask bc im trying to expand my russia conspiracy sources. I might try to find sn audiobook myself 
That's a good idea.  What's a good application for audiobooks?  Will add this to my list of things to do.  

That's a good idea.  What's a good application for audiobooks?  Will add this to my list of things to do.  
I just pirate them, then play they as mp3s on my phone. Sorry, I cant help. But any music player would work my way. I use pulsar and vlc to run mine fyi.

my Dad literally was the kid that woke up in January with snow on his blanket, pigs squealing under the floor, built a fire in the fireplace to warm up, walked to the river, crossed it in a wood boat, walked a few miles more to the 1 room school house where he put his rifle in the corner with all the other boys rifles, did school, walked back to the river, crossed it again, killed a mess of squirrel or rabbits on the way back maybe all at the age of 10 years old

the water/rain/flooding thing is about liability, bus drivers, etc although I remember extreme cold closing schools and I thought that was weird too

but schools anymore ..... every other day in grade school is a party this, dress up for that day etc. blows my mind the time wasted on NON school things

Somebody mark down the date and time, because this may be the only time sho nuff and I are in complete agreement on something.

Just yesterday the wofe of a friend posted on FB that she was so upset her daughter didn't make the school basketball team.  The comments were filled with things like "that's awful and mean" and "they should expand the team to include everyone".  Made me want to vomit.  

Somebody mark down the date and time, because this may be the only time sho nuff and I are in complete agreement on something.

Just yesterday the wofe of a friend posted on FB that she was so upset her daughter didn't make the school basketball team.  The comments were filled with things like "that's awful and mean" and "they should expand the team to include everyone".  Made me want to vomit.  
someone should remind her Michael Jordan didn't make the team when he was in high school one year - failure = motivation

No generation ever has really been a carbon-copy of the previous generation, right? 
No, many times parents plan to "fix the mistakes of their parents" and in doing so create new issues. Also changes in technology and major world events shape the generations. 

someone should remind her Michael Jordan didn't make the team when he was in high school one year - failure = motivation
Great story but it's a bit of a myth. It was an era where varsity was mostly reserved for seniors and juniors so Jordan made JV and was mad about it. 

my Dad literally was the kid that woke up in January with snow on his blanket, pigs squealing under the floor, built a fire in the fireplace to warm up, walked to the river, crossed it in a wood boat, walked a few miles more to the 1 room school house where he put his rifle in the corner with all the other boys rifles, did school, walked back to the river, crossed it again, killed a mess of squirrel or rabbits on the way back maybe all at the age of 10 years old

the water/rain/flooding thing is about liability, bus drivers, etc although I remember extreme cold closing schools and I thought that was weird too

but schools anymore ..... every other day in grade school is a party this, dress up for that day etc. blows my mind the time wasted on NON school things
Agree. Liability concerns fuel many decisions for playing it safe

This is pervasive these days. Buddy of mine coaches a private school's girls basketball team. He played Division 1 and 12 years professionally in Europe so he knows his stuff.  He was telling me a story about his second best player who could probably get a scholarship if she wasn't so damned lazy. Slacks off in practices, shows up late, etc...  So like any good coach who is trying to teach a lesson to a player in order to get them motivated, he benches her for a game.  Only to be accosted by her parents after the game saying that he doesn't know what he's doing, ruining her chances at the next level, blah blah blah.  His response was to simply tell them that their attitude is what's holding back their daughter's potential and now they're trying to get him removed as coach.

Makes me sick.

Users who are viewing this thread