What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Out of Nowhere" Guy (1 Viewer)

DropKick

Footballguy
OK, its's the eve of the draft. Always weary of guys who "come out of nowhere" and shoot up draft boards based on a big final college season... or the combine... or just general hype. Anybody this year who fits that bill? Anyone you hope your team PASSES on?

Are the "Out of Nowwhere" guys always bad? Demarcus Ware and Jason Pierre Paul went a lot earlier than most draft experts expected. Lofa Tatupa and Devin Hester are two better examples of two "out of Nowhere" guys that had a big impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, its's the eve of the draft. Always weary of guys who "come out of nowhere" and shoot up draft boards based on a big final college season... or the combine... or just general hype. Anybody this year who fits that bill? Anyone you hope your team PASSES on?
Um, RG3?

Looks like a lot of defense guys could come out of nowhere.Haven't seen any offense guys though.
Apparently you missed all the Mocks that have WR Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech in the first round? He is the definition of an "Out of Nowhere Guy".

Looks like a lot of defense guys could come out of nowhere.Haven't seen any offense guys though.
Apparently you missed all the Mocks that have WR Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech in the first round? He is the definition of an "Out of Nowhere Guy".
If he's high oin a bunch of mocks, I don't see him as an 'out of nowhere' guy at this point.Streeter would be.My memory may fail me, but Donnie Avery being the 1st WR off the board some years ago (I believe I'm right about that) was an 'out of nowhere' move.

Looks like a lot of defense guys could come out of nowhere.

Haven't seen any offense guys though.
If he's high oin a bunch of mocks, I don't see him as an 'out of nowhere' guy at this point.Streeter would be.

My memory may fail me, but Donnie Avery being the 1st WR off the board some years ago (I believe I'm right about that) was an 'out of nowhere' move.
He was a 3rd or 4th rounder pre-combine. Now, he will be lucky to get out of the first round.

Amini Silatolu has a good chance of being the "Who?!" guy of the first round.
To the general public, yea, but I'm guessing most who have been around here this off season are aware of him. Small school guys like him make sense as late risers unlike most bigger school guys.

A lot of talk about him being drafted by San Fran at 30. Tommy Streeter is the guy I want my team to avoid. He did not impress me in the combine pass catching drills.

Amini Silatolu wasn't highly recruited out of high school, and he couldn't qualify academically at Nevada after playing at San Joaquin Delta College
No thank you. O-Line is one of the more cerebral positions in the league IMO, so I don't want a guy who seems to be lacking either focus or intelligence.

Amini Silatolu wasn't highly recruited out of high school, and he couldn't qualify academically at Nevada after playing at San Joaquin Delta College
No thank you. O-Line is one of the more cerebral positions in the league IMO, so I don't want a guy who seems to be lacking either focus or intelligence.
I don't think you're drafting today, so... :pokey:Edit: Another guy that is going to go a lot higher than expected is Chandler Jones. Like, maybe Seattle at 12 high.

I don't think you're drafting today, so... :pokey:Edit: Another guy that is going to go a lot higher than expected is Chandler Jones. Like, maybe Seattle at 12 high.
Just doesn't make sense to me. Why take a project guard in the first round when you can get the 2nd or 3rd best D1A Guard at the same spot? In the late 2nd or 3rd round? Sure. But not in the first.

Just doesn't make sense to me. Why take a project guard in the first round when you can get the 2nd or 3rd best D1A Guard at the same spot?

In the late 2nd or 3rd round? Sure. But not in the first.
Because he's not a project. Just because he's not book smart doesn't mean he's not football smart.Evaluation

The long and short of it:

Scouts have compared him to New Orleans Saints Pro Bowl OG Jahri Evans, but he is much more athletic pulling and playing in space and tape will draw instant man-crushes from good evaluators. Can win with power or quickness and fit any type of blocking scheme.

I agree with the 'high' part. Bigger school late risers make me go cross eyed. There isn't much more info out there about Chandler Jones, Stephon Gilmore, Shea McClellin, etc. now than there was 3 months ago. It just reaks of desparation from teams trying to fill premium positions.

A lot of talk about him being drafted by San Fran at 30. Tommy Streeter is the guy I want my team to avoid. He did not impress me in the combine pass catching drills.
He's been linked to the Jets as a possible trade down selection. Tannenbaum has never learned to trade down though. I can't see him going #16.

Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota State

I would not be surprised to see him slip in the later end of the second round and will be surprised if not selected by the end of the third.

Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota StateI would not be surprised to see him slip in the later end of the second round and will be surprised if not selected by the end of the third.
That would be 'out of nowhere' to be drafted at that level.Like the guy a lot, but I'd be surprised if he goes earlier than the 5th.

Edit: Another guy that is going to go a lot higher than expected is Chandler Jones. Like, maybe Seattle at 12 high.
I know we're talking consensus here, but I guess its worth noting that McShay has been pimping Chandler Jones for months. His Feb 2 mock had Jones to the Pats at 28. Granted there's a pretty big jump between 28 and 12, but if the middle of this class is as fluid as it seems to be, that might just be moving from the back end of a tier to the front.

If he's high oin a bunch of mocks, I don't see him as an 'out of nowhere' guy at this point.Streeter would be.My memory may fail me, but Donnie Avery being the 1st WR off the board some years ago (I believe I'm right about that) was an 'out of nowhere' move.
That whole 2nd round for WRs was odd at the time (IIRC), guys like Devon Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, DeSean Jackson and Limas Sweed were thought to be the cream of the crop, were passed to a degree by Avery, Jordy Nelson and Jerome Simpson)...yet, besides Jackson, they were the right moves.

I think Hill's a great example. Before the combine he was considered a mid-round pick - he was given 'no chance' of being a high pick by the draft evaluation board when Hill asked for a grade before he declared.

But he shocked with a 4.36 at the combine and looked really smooth catching the ball so everyone went back and did their homework on a guy they just hadn't been paying attention to before because he played in a fluky offense and had only 47 catches over the last couple years.

I look at that as a good process, not a bad one. It's not like the guy can't catch and just ran fast - he was super productive with the passes he did get at Tech.

He's high risk, but he might also exactly the kind of player you hope to find in the early rounds - someone that can help you win games. Role players and guys who can occupy a spot on the field are always available as FA or late in the draft. And there just aren't very many hyper-talented guys with no risk, so you might as well swing big after they're gone. Give me Hill over a career WR2 like Randle any day.

I think Hill's a great example. Before the combine he was considered a mid-round pick - he was given 'no chance' of being a high pick by the draft evaluation board when Hill asked for a grade before he declared.

But he shocked with a 4.36 at the combine and looked really smooth catching the ball so everyone went back and did their homework on a guy they just hadn't been paying attention to before because he played in a fluky offense and had only 47 catches over the last couple years.

I look at that as a good process, not a bad one. It's not like the guy can't catch and just ran fast - he was super productive with the passes he did get at Tech.

He's high risk, but he might also exactly the kind of player you hope to find in the early rounds - someone that can help you win games. Role players and guys who can occupy a spot on the field are always available as FA or late in the draft. And there just aren't very many hyper-talented guys with no risk, so you might as well swing big after they're gone. Give me Hill over a career WR2 like Randle any day.
Streeter's the same prospect and should be available much later, likely round 3 and may linger into Saturday.Hill anytime before round 3 would be silly. Although I'm not defending Randle either, there just really aren't any exciting WR prospects imho after the top 3. If you don't get any of them I'd just sit back and see who's still there in rounds 3 and 4.

Streeter's the same prospect and should be available much later, likely round 3 and may linger into Saturday.
Agree that Streeter is similar in some ways - he reminds me more of James Hardy or a bigger Chris Henry, except he's also faster. Which should add up to something with a ton of potential. Like Hill.Here's the problem though... Streeter wasn't thrown the ball for different reasons than Hill. Tech runs a really goofy offense (from a pro perspective, not commenting on its quality) and even Thomas didn't put up big numbers there. But Miami could really have used a #1 and didn't get Streeter the ball. And now the scouts have looked at him and decided that he's a later round guy as well. With his size and speed he's not exactly flying under the radar or anything - and the scouts don't like him. (It doesn't matter why, but probably due to his hands and his overly lanky frame creating problems getting off the line - but those are just guesses based on what I'm reading). If Streeter could really play he wouldn't be rated so poorly (or he'll be drafted much earlier than he's currently projected). They just don't miss on many guys like him and if there weren't problems he wouldn't be so poorly considered.

Streeter's the same prospect and should be available much later, likely round 3 and may linger into Saturday.
Agree that Streeter is similar in some ways - he reminds me more of James Hardy or a bigger Chris Henry, except he's also faster. Which should add up to something with a ton of potential. Like Hill.Here's the problem though... Streeter wasn't thrown the ball for different reasons than Hill. Tech runs a really goofy offense (from a pro perspective, not commenting on its quality) and even Thomas didn't put up big numbers there. But Miami could really have used a #1 and didn't get Streeter the ball. And now the scouts have looked at him and decided that he's a later round guy as well. With his size and speed he's not exactly flying under the radar or anything - and the scouts don't like him. (It doesn't matter why, but probably due to his hands and his overly lanky frame creating problems getting off the line - but those are just guesses based on what I'm reading). If Streeter could really play he wouldn't be rated so poorly (or he'll be drafted much earlier than he's currently projected). They just don't miss on many guys like him and if there weren't problems he wouldn't be so poorly considered.
I think you're focusing way too much on the negatives about STreeter and not paying enough attention to the potential negatives with Hill.I don't dispute anything you wrote about Streeter, I agree with most of it, but it ignores all of the same ?'s with Hill. Citing Demaryius Thomas' numbers in the same offense as the reason is just a cop out. The tape on Thomas is much, much better than Hill - there was reason to believe he could transition. There is no reason to believe Hill can.

Looking forward to teams taking players higher than the idiot media expected. Then we either see douches like McShay say he had the guy higher on his radar than he actually led on :rolleyes: or they'll be defiant and flat out say it was a bad pick when they really know very little at all about players and how they fit a team.

I think a good example was when Jacksonville picked Tyson Alualu 10th overall in 2010. Gurus were either slamming the pick or acting as if they knew all about it and Alualu was actually better than the media was letting on.

I think a good example was when Jacksonville picked Tyson Alualu 10th overall in 2010. Gurus were either slamming the pick or acting as if they knew all about it and Alualu was actually better than the media was letting on.
What always baffled me about that pick is if Jacksonville wanted him so badly then why didn't they trade down, it's not like he was going to fall off the board in the next few picks.Finding a surprise like Alualu is what makes teams better, but not that early. If they were that high on him they should have gone back, added more picks, then snatched him up.

What always baffled me about that pick is if Jacksonville wanted him so badly then why didn't they trade down, it's not like he was going to fall off the board in the next few picks.Finding a surprise like Alualu is what makes teams better, but not that early. If they were that high on him they should have gone back, added more picks, then snatched him up.
Do you know they didn't try to?

For all of the dumb things Mangini did in that infamous draft him trading down from 17 to 21 and only recouping two 6th round picks was the smart move if Alex Mack was at the top of his board. He knew he could get him later, so he took whatever he could get and moved back.At pick 10 you couldn't begin to convince me Jacksonville couldn't have at least gotten something for the pick. Not to mention the contract savings by moving back. Them just picking Alualu tells me they didn't try to move back or they didn't get a trade offer they liked and just took their BPA. Either way they did it wrong.

For all of the dumb things Mangini did in that infamous draft him trading down from 17 to 21 and only recouping two 6th round picks was the smart move if Alex Mack was at the top of his board. He knew he could get him later, so he took whatever he could get and moved back.At pick 10 you couldn't begin to convince me Jacksonville couldn't have at least gotten something for the pick. Not to mention the contract savings by moving back. Them just picking Alualu tells me they didn't try to move back or they didn't get a trade offer they liked and just took their BPA. Either way they did it wrong.
Well. Okay.

I think Joe Long, Jake's brother, can go as high as the second round although he's from a small school, Wayne State.

I think you're focusing way too much on the negatives about STreeter and not paying enough attention to the potential negatives with Hill.I don't dispute anything you wrote about Streeter, I agree with most of it, but it ignores all of the same ?'s with Hill. Citing Demaryius Thomas' numbers in the same offense as the reason is just a cop out. The tape on Thomas is much, much better than Hill - there was reason to believe he could transition. There is no reason to believe Hill can.
:lmao:

I don't dispute anything you wrote about Streeter, I agree with most of it, but it ignores all of the same ?'s with Hill. Citing Demaryius Thomas' numbers in the same offense as the reason is just a cop out. The tape on Thomas is much, much better than Hill - there was reason to believe he could transition. There is no reason to believe Hill can.
They really don't miss on 4.4 guys with his size very often.OTOH... I had Denarius Moore #2 on my WR list last pre-draft last year, but dropped him in the post-draft rankings and didn't draft him in fantasy after he was ignored by the NFL. And Streeter does have a decent profile, so maybe I'll regret deferring to draft position again. They do miss sometimes.But if Hill is drafted between 30 and 40 I think the odds are that he's got a bright future.

Part of my point is the Media doesn't have much of a clue, and neither do we. There's no promise whatsoever that Alualu would be on the board if they traded down, despite what Mel, McShay, or any other "guru" says. Was Alualu a surprise, or was he a surprise to the media?

'Andy Dufresne said:
Edit: Another guy that is going to go a lot higher than expected is Chandler Jones. Like, maybe Seattle at 12 high.
Wow. Check ME out! :bowtie:
NFL Network's Albert Breer reports that the Patriots have reached out to the Seahawks about the availability of the No. 12 pick.Specifically, Breer reported that New England asked "what it would take to get to 12." The Pats have the ammo with two first-round picks and five selections in the top 93. They have nothing after the fourth round, however. NFL Network's Stacey Dales has reported that New England is strongly interested in Syracuse DE Chandler Jones, and he may be their target in any potential move up.

I don't dispute anything you wrote about Streeter, I agree with most of it, but it ignores all of the same ?'s with Hill. Citing Demaryius Thomas' numbers in the same offense as the reason is just a cop out. The tape on Thomas is much, much better than Hill - there was reason to believe he could transition. There is no reason to believe Hill can.
They really don't miss on 4.4 guys with his size very often.OTOH... I had Denarius Moore #2 on my WR list last pre-draft last year, but dropped him in the post-draft rankings and didn't draft him in fantasy after he was ignored by the NFL. And Streeter does have a decent profile, so maybe I'll regret deferring to draft position again. They do miss sometimes.But if Hill is drafted between 30 and 40 I think the odds are that he's got a bright future.
There are lots of misses on 'measurables' WR's early in drafts. Usually the misses are because they're drafted due to just their measurables. Measurable guys are mid-later round picks, there are very few exceptions imho, and Demaryius was one of them because of the skills he displayed on the rare times he did get the ball thrown his way.

Part of my point is the Media doesn't have much of a clue, and neither do we. There's no promise whatsoever that Alualu would be on the board if they traded down, despite what Mel, McShay, or any other "guru" says. Was Alualu a surprise, or was he a surprise to the media?
Based off my post draft readings I believe he was more of a surprise to the media than other NFL teams BUT the general feeling was that no one was going to look at him until late in the 1st. No one was looking at him that early.

Users who are viewing this thread