What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Owens is a Raven (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B R E A K I N G N E W S Owens traded to Ravens 49ers WR Terrell Owens has been traded to the Baltimore Ravens for the 51st pick in this April's draft, Jay Glazer reports.

Here's the article.

49ers trade T.O. to Ravens for 2nd-round pick

March 4, 2004

By Jay Glazer

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Jay your opinion!

Terrell Owens has been traded to the Baltimore Ravens, SportsLine.com has learned.

According to sources close to the situation, Owens was traded for the 51st pick in the draft, the Ravens second-rounder. It was the highest selection that Baltimore owned.

It is unclear if Owens has worked out a new contract with Baltimore but it is assumed in league circles that he is looking for a deal that would pay him a signing bonus a little lower than $20 million.

Owens was scheduled to become a free agent but after a little-know clause took effect, he lost his eligibility to join the open market. The 49ers were also talking with the Eagles and Jets about a deal.

Kyle Boller ... Anthony Wright ... hmmmmCan completely unexpected offensive production come out of this? If Jamal Lewis beats the rap, the Ravens have a lot of offensive weapons that should help any QB excel.

Hmm..... Dolphins trade a sewcond rounder for AJ Feeley.Ravens trade a second rounder for Terrell Owens.Whats wrong with this picutre? :angry: :angry:

I think the 9ers are doing the right thing. They got a good young little team over there, cut the deadwood and start fresh with the offense. Their cap situation is starting to look a lot better, but I would still like to see Hearst moved out. Its just a fact that a back getting paid that much isnt going to sit on the bench. Barlow should be the focus of this offense and unfortunately Hearst being around isnt conducive to that. Plus they could save a few more bucks.

Kyle Boller ... Anthony Wright ... hmmmmCan completely unexpected offensive production come out of this? If Jamal Lewis beats the rap, the Ravens have a lot of offensive weapons that should help any QB excel.
Hey Jeff garcia's available! :lol: :P

Hmm..... Dolphins trade a sewcond rounder for AJ Feeley.Ravens trade a second rounder for Terrell Owens.Whats wrong with this picutre? :angry: :angry:
LMAOhowever....this sounds like a steal for the ravens. Hey Wood,any chance they turnaround and trade TO to someone else for a higher second round pick or better? sort of an arbitrage/leaning on the order type deal on the part of the Ravens?

I think the 9ers are doing the right thing. They got a good young little team over there, cut the deadwood and start fresh with the offense. Their cap situation is starting to look a lot better, but I would still like to see Hearst moved out. Its just a fact that a back getting paid that much isnt going to sit on the bench. Barlow should be the focus of this offense and unfortunately Hearst being around isnt conducive to that. Plus they could save a few more bucks.
Hello, McFly!Hearst was cut.

What's wrong is that the Ravens should have gotten him for NO picks if his imbecile agent had been paying attention.

Hmm..... Dolphins trade a sewcond rounder for AJ Feeley.Ravens trade a second rounder for Terrell Owens.Whats wrong with this picutre?
Its called money, T. Owens would easily cost a 1st rounder, but with the money he wants and im sure a new contract no one will give up a first rounder for him. Do I think dolphins give up to high a pick yes, but its all about money in owens case and the fact that he wants the contract reshaped

What's wrong is that the Ravens should have gotten him for NO picks if his imbecile agent had been paying attention.
yeah...I would rather cough up 20 million in signing bonus...than a second rounder. :rolleyes:

1. Boller was a rookie facing rookie problems with a great RB and a great TE, but very little deep threat.2. Jim Fassell was hired in the offseason because uber-genius Billick said it was time to admit he wasn't seeing the offensive develpment he was hoping for.I think Boller has a bright upside, and I'd certainly prefer him over Joey Harrington and now, with TO on board, David Carr.HERD

LMAOhowever....this sounds like a steal for the ravens. Hey Wood,any chance they turnaround and trade TO to someone else for a higher second round pick or better? sort of an arbitrage/leaning on the order type deal on the part of the Ravens?
I don't think something like that is very easy to pull off. TO has been adamant about wanting a new deal, and the Eagles reportedly backed away from the bargaining table when TO's agent said Owens wanted Randy Moss bonus money and a long term deal to facilitate the transaction. I cannot see the Ravens giving up a 2nd rounder for the chance to HOPE to get another 2nd rounder; count on them having a deal in principal in place for an extension of TO's contract.

As a Heap owner, I kind of like it. To be sure, Heap will likely lose his status as the top target, but perhaps Billick will now open up the offense more, and teams can't double team Heap all the time.

I don't think something like that is very easy to pull off. TO has been adamant about wanting a new deal, and the Eagles reportedly backed away from the bargaining table when TO's agent said Owens wanted Randy Moss bonus money and a long term deal to facilitate the transaction. I cannot see the Ravens giving up a 2nd rounder for the chance to HOPE to get another 2nd rounder; count on them having a deal in principal in place for an extension of TO's contract.
okay...well...let me ask you this.if you are the ravens..why dont you tell Owens to stick it and force him to honor his contract or sit out.I think I would rather lose a second rounder and make him make that decision..instead of coughing up huge dough in signing bonuses for this cat.am i off base?

yeah...I would rather cough up 20 million in signing bonus...than a second rounder. :rolleyes:
well they're gonna cough up both now...unless you think owens is gonna play the final three years of his contract out in good faith... :rolleyes:

As a Bucs fan, I must admit I'm glad he's not going to Philly.
Me too. I'm also a TO and Boller owner (still have the unemployed Garcia on my roster too).Interesting to see how this plays out.

yeah...

I would rather cough up 20 million in signing bonus...than a second rounder.

:rolleyes:
Not sure what your point is. I have no illusions that the Ravens won't still be ponying up the $20 mil, even after giving up the pick. TO is still a greedy ******* with an overinflated ego and will certainly attempt to cash in (threatening a hold out, etc.) despite his agent's screw up. I assume the deal is already in place (at least in principle).

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are the ravens..why dont you tell Owens to stick it and force him to honor his contract or sit out.I think I would rather lose a second rounder and make him make that decision..instead of coughing up huge dough in signing bonuses for this cat.am i off base?
you are in neverland skipping around with jacko and bubbles the chimp if you think that is the way things will go.no way did baltimore trade for him without knowing the looming $$$ demands coming their way.

okay...well...let me ask you this.if you are the ravens..why dont you tell Owens to stick it and force him to honor his contract or sit out.I think I would rather lose a second rounder and make him make that decision..instead of coughing up huge dough in signing bonuses for this cat.am i off base?
Fucla, er I mean Tristan,Your point works in theory, but the reality of the situation is in a league with the cap constraints of the NFL, GMs aren't in the position to take gambles with 2nd round picks for the hope that a player will see the light and play out his contract. Not only that, but you're talking about a contract that, in Owens' eyes, is invalid and the fault of the league and the Niners.

As a Heap owner, I kind of like it. To be sure, Heap will likely lose his status as the top target, but perhaps Billick will now open up the offense more, and teams can't double team Heap all the time.
Yes, this will be interesting to see how this affects Heap's perceived value. I would bump him up a little bit. Billick's cockiness vs. Owens ego! This should get interesting.

As a Niner fan I'm happy. It would have been nice to get a first rounder, but a second is almost as valuable and is certainly a lot better than the nothing I expected a week ago.

As a raised Giants fan with deep Baltimore roots , I am a VERY happy camper. First, he aint on the Eagles! That WR core still is one of the worst in the league.Second, if there is one team that might be able to check TO's antics, it may be the Ravens. Billick isnt going to take any s**t, and you can only imagine what Ray Ray will do if TO starts to cause havoc. They have a young QB that has a gun for an arm and assuming J. Lewis beats his rap, the Ravens have to be considered one of the AFC favorites going into next year.

80 User(s) are reading this topic (27 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users) :o
Now it is "108 User(s) are reading this topic (40 Guests and 4 Anonymous Users)"Popular topic to be sure. I think Bal is the least interesting place TO could have ended up given the uncertainty at QB. I would have rather seen him in Philly.

well they're gonna cough up both now...unless you think owens is gonna play the final three years of his contract out in good faith... :rolleyes:
if you dont play out your contract in good faith...the team can suspend him without pay so forth.he signed the contract...live with it.these athletes love playing hardball until the ball gets smacked back into their face.

Now it is "108 User(s) are reading this topic (40 Guests and 4 Anonymous Users)"Popular topic to be sure. I think Bal is the least interesting place TO could have ended up given the uncertainty at QB. I would have rather seen him in Philly.
From a fantasy perspective, perhaps. From a Ravens fan's perspective, this is fantastic.

HERDI agree that Bollers #'s rise, but at the same time TO's will fall.
Agreed. But since I don't own Owens, and DO own Boller in a dynasty league, I'm not too worried about TO's production as long as its better then Travis Taylor. ;) HERD

Yes, this will be interesting to see how this affects Heap's perceived value. I would bump him up a little bit. Billick's cockiness vs. Owens ego! This should get interesting.
Long time Viking fan and I was never a big Billick fan. Heck, I still consider him the offensive genius who innovated the 'prevent offense'. But what Billick does really well is he draws out a blue print before the season starts and says 'you are going to get x number of balls thrown your way and you are going to get y number of balls thrown your way, you are going to get z number of carries and you are going to get 'w' number of rushing carries.'This formula worked really well in Minnesota for the like sof Cris Carter, Jake Reed, Randy Moss, Andrew Glover, Leroy Hoard, Robert Smith, Matthew Hatchett and so forth.That being said, I think Billick will sit down at the beginning of the season and say, "Mr. Owens, we are going to throw you the ball xxx amount of times. If you have a problem with that, speak up now."And although I am do not care for Billick, his pre-season ball distribution charts were pretty accurate.The BlueOnion

you are in neverland skipping around with jacko and bubbles the chimp if you think that is the way things will go.no way did baltimore trade for him without knowing the looming $$$ demands coming their way.
maybe they have decided to pony up and pay the man.personally...i see no reason to outbid yourself in this situation. which is exactly what they will be doing.

As a Steeler fan, I am very encouraged by the disruption this should cause. Their team chemistry will require chemotherapy. And they give a up a draft pick (which is good since Ozzie's done a pretty good job drafting).

HERDI agree that Bollers #'s rise, but at the same time TO's will fall.
I don't think TO's numbers are going to fall. Baltimore is a team that has a 2000 yard back that couldn't be stopped with eight guys in the box all year, presumably teams are going to continue to have to try to stop Jamal or get the ball run down their throat all game. TO will see single coverage a lot or Heap is going to burn you. Boeller has a year of experience under his belt, and I believe he is going to get Owens the ball. Owens also instantly gives this team some red zone cred. This offense looks pretty dangerous all of a sudden, and I would project Owens initially at 95-1350-12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread