What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

P Matt Araiza, BUF (1 Viewer)

I know it's not fantasy-relevant so nobody really cares all that much, but Araiza didn't dress tonight and won't see the field. A lot of speculation within the fan base that he'll be gone before Monday. (He travelled with the team to Carolina, but he would have been en route when this story broke, so it was a fluid situation).

The Bills know quite a bit more about this situation than any of us do, so I'll defer to them regardless of what action they take, if any. I would not be comfortable terminating somebody based on the information that is publicly available (to put it mildly), but the Bills are better informed than I am.

Sean McDermott was pretty emotional last night in addressing the situation after the game. Obviously playing it pretty close to the vest, but said it kept him up all night Thursday night, admitted that there were pieces of information that they did not previously have, and said they have more work to do looking into it. Also said it was his decision not to play Araiza.

Full rundown

. It needs to play out before people scream for this guys head, cause we know plenty of accusers have lied.
This is absolutely not true. What a gross thing to say. Sexual assault accusations are usually found to be between 2-5% of the claims. Pathetic, embarrassing stance. Most women are not coming forward to be humiliated like this just for the satisfaction of ruining somebody’s life or for a quick buck.

. It needs to play out before people scream for this guys head, cause we know plenty of accusers have lied.
This is absolutely not true. What a gross thing to say. Sexual assault accusations are usually found to be between 2-5% of the claims. Pathetic, embarrassing stance. Most women are not coming forward to be humiliated like this just for the satisfaction of ruining somebody’s life or for a quick buck.
could be the other two guys and not him.

They have him in the phone saying go get tested for an STD.

They have him in the phone saying go get tested for an STD.
So that doesn’t mean he raped her. She also admitted to giving him oral outside consensually even though she’s a minor, obviously the part of who was inside against her Will was the big issue.

Being released, per schefty
My guess is we are not going to get a whole lot of specifics from the Bills. They clearly did not do a good enough investigation the first time around but didn’t like what they found out when they dug in. At least they’re doing the right thing now presumably.

@Capella I have all the love and respect for you that one can give on this forum. I was the first to say Arazia belongs in prison if this happened.

But, man I hate (hate, HATE) when the consequences of #### like this precede the facts. Due process and the presumption of innocence is the foundation of the American legal system. He will probably be released and never work in his profession again, before he ever has a legal judgement, criminal or civil, pass against him. Even if he is ultimately guilty, that's wrong.

You know how sometimes in an interview or press conference, when the interviewee gets a tough question, and opts to give an answer that belongs to a different question that no one asked? I feel like -- with all due respect -- this reaction is similarly a reaction to a post that no one posted. The message to which this reaction makes sense would be: "This lady is clearly lying. Practically all these accusers in cases like this are liars. Leave Araiza alone, I'm sure he's innocent. Everyone, including the justice system, should forget about this imaginary incident altogether."

ETA: Cliche argument, I know, but seriously: If I accuse you right now of raping me last month, and I show evidence that I was actually in your town at the time, and I have a story that holds water for at least 3 seconds without any investigating. You're saying you should be immediately fired and thrown in prison.

Last edited:
man I hate (hate, HATE) when the consequences of #### like this precede the facts. Due process and the presumption of innocence is the foundation of the American legal system. He will probably be released and never work in his profession again, before he ever has a legal judgement, criminal or civil, pass against him. Even if he is ultimately guilty, that's wrong.
And let me also be very clear for those who remember my position in the Deshaun Watson thread. I 100% believe Deshaun Watson got off easy. I think his suspension should have been indefinite. I 100% believe he is as guilty as the day is long, and I am happy to discuss that position, rationally, with anyone who considers my position to be a logical inconsistency with what I said about Arazia above.

@Capella I have all the love and respect for you that one can give on this forum. I was the first to say Arazia belongs in prison if this happened.

But, man I hate (hate, HATE) when the consequences of #### like this precede the facts. Due process and the presumption of innocence is the foundation of the American legal system. He will probably be released and never work in his profession again, before he ever has a legal judgement, criminal or civil, pass against him. Even if he is ultimately guilty, that's wrong.
This is a reasonable take but look at it from the Bills perspective. A legal case could take a long time to play out. Have to assume they've looked into enough to discover there's substance to this claim and not just an off the cuff accusation. If they keep him on the team and then he's found guilty this would be a very bad look. So agree it's a bit unfair to some extent but that's the nature of this business. Now if hypothetically this were Josh Allen would this have played out differently? Probably so.

Last edited:
Her lawyer’s statement.

This guys seriously needs to shut up. I can’t believe he really said that if Araiza had just apologized and made a donation to a rape survivors’ charity that his parents could still be “watching their son with pride”.

He calls the Bills enablers for not cutting him sooner but also infers that if Araiza had apologized and made a donation that they wouldn’t have said anything to the Bills and he could have kept playing football?

It kind of feels like maybe the Bills didn’t get the full story from that side to begin with if her lawyer was trying to initially play it so that Araiza wouldn’t get cut.

And of course he ends the statement with yet another jab at his lawyer which makes the whole statement seem more targeted towards his lawyer than towards the awful thing Araiza is accused of. This poor girl desperately needs a better lawyer.

I thought it was odd that the Ravens drafted a non-Araiza punter when Araiza was still on the board, because everything I'd read and heard about him was that he was a generational talent. I wonder if there was enough smoke about this incident that made them shy away.

I thought it was odd that the Ravens drafted a non-Araiza punter when Araiza was still on the board, because everything I'd read and heard about him was that he was a generational talent. I wonder if there was enough smoke about this incident that made them shy away.
No doubt, was surprised he lasted as long as he did, makes sense now.

:heart: you too.

The Bills do not owe him due process though. They have to do what’s best for their organization, a multi-billion dollar business where they have to, or at least should, consider what their fans think. Arazia will get due process through the legal system if it goes that far.

From the Bills standpoint, I believe the statutory rape aspect which seems to be generally accepted to have happened would be enough to cut him alone.

This is a reasonable take but look at it from the Bills perspective. A legal case could take a long time to play out. Have to assume they've looked into enough to discover there's substance to this claim and not just an off the cuff accusation. If they keep him on the team and then he's found guilty this would be a very bad look. So agree it's a bit unfair to some extent but that's the nature of this business. Now if hypothetically this were Josh Allen would this have played out differently? Probably so.
Totally agree the Bills did what they had to, but that's my point. He's paying consequences for something he has only been accused of.

Also true that it absolutely would have played different of it were Josh Allen.

This guy is insane.
Totally agree the Bills did what they had to, but that's my point. He's paying consequences for something he has only been accused of.

Also true that it absolutely would have played different of it were Josh Allen.
I’m always on board with due process. But even if the only thing true here is the age, statutory, that’s enough to cut any player. It definitely would have played out different had this been a star veteran, especially QB.

Due process and the presumption of innocence is the foundation of the American legal system
It sure is, but private employers and public opinions are not held to such standards nor do they need to be.
No kidding, gotta protect the brand.

I also said he should go to prison if found guilty. Of course that's assuming the SDPD are truly still investigating the criminal charge, like they say they are.

But what if he is exonerated? Does his family stop receiving death threats? Will NFL teams not receive intense backlash if they sign him? Does he ever receive an endorsement deal?

The damage is done before the facts are in evidence. The stain doesn't go away and that #### drives me crazy. That was my only point.

Due process and the presumption of innocence is the foundation of the American legal system
It sure is, but private employers and public opinions are not held to such standards nor do they need to be.
No kidding, gotta protect the brand.

I also said he should go to prison if found guilty. Of course that's assuming the SDPD are truly still investigating the criminal charge, like they say they are.

But what if he is exonerated? Does his family stop receiving death threats? Will NFL teams not receive intense backlash if they sign him? Does he ever receive an endorsement deal?

The damage is done before the facts are in evidence. The stain doesn't go away and that #### drives me crazy. That was my only point.
Sure. But what is your workable solution? I’d consider keeping all aggregations private but that has significant impact if an alleged perp commits another offense.

Sure. But what is your workable solution? I’d consider keeping all aggregations private but that has significant impact if an alleged perp commits another offense.
Helluva question. No idea. Kill all social media? Aggressively punish false accusers GoT "SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!" style? IDK

All I know is there is no remedy for a destroyed reputation and that's chilling.

Bad Situation overall and Buffalo looks bad as more facts came out yesterday. This guy should of never made it to training camp let alone play in a preseason game. Also NFL needs to review policy regarding allegations like this. Player should be removed from league and once the legal process has played out if the club wants to roster him again they can.

Bills were made aware of the allegations in July. Why did they allow him to stay on the roster knowing these allegations were floating around.
Matt Araiza attorney is lying that this is a financial shakedown if they offered her a settlement to make the case go away and she refused (supposedly her family is very wealthy)
She went on CBS news and showed images of the bruises she sustained reported the incident immediately to authorities and followed the proper protocol
In the coming weeks she will reveal her identity so if that is not damning enough that she is willing to put her name out there to seek justice against these 3 I do not know what is.

This continues to be the post of the thread. This guy lost his career over an accusation that bore no fruit. No prosecution, not enough evidence or even probable cause and possibly exculpatory evidence to where if they brought the case, the district attorney's office said they would be violating ethical standards of prosecution.

That's some serious statement-making by a DA there. Sounds like they had little probable cause and/or exculpatory evidence.

I can now officially feel bad for Araiza rather than feel bad for starting a light-hearted thread. Crazy. It'd also be crazy if in the quiet of the offseason, he's not brought in to compete with some club. So much better than that Minnesota punter who sucked but ran his mouth about every liberal cause under the sun. Kluwe? Something like that.

To me this always played like he would not be charged. Whether he is innocent is a different question but the Bills did the only thing that made sense for them in the current climate, distance themselves from the story either way.

Unless there are bad details that are unpublished I think he gets a shot somewhere (Cleveland)

Reactions: Zow
This continues to be the post of the thread. This guy lost his career over an accusation that bore no fruit. No prosecution, not enough evidence or even probable cause and possibly exculpatory evidence to where if they brought the case, the district attorney's office said they would be violating ethical standards of prosecution.

That's some serious statement-making by a DA there. Sounds like they had little probable cause and/or exculpatory evidence.

I can now officially feel bad for Araiza rather than feel bad for starting a light-hearted thread. Crazy. It'd also be crazy if in the quiet of the offseason, he's not brought in to compete with some club. So much better than that Minnesota punter who sucked but ran his mouth about every liberal cause under the sun. Kluwe? Something like that.
I mean it doesn't mean he's innocent or didn't do anything very wrong jsut because there are no criminal charges. Just means they didn't think they could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Still think NFL teams will distance themselves from this. It's just a punter (I know, I know, he's awesome). Just don't think today's news changes THAT much.

Like most things, my personal believe is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Don't think things went down like the girl described them, but don't think he did absolutely nothing shady either. There's lots of scenarios that would fall in the middle there, and something like that would still make them not charge him, but also not be a good fit for an nfl team.

No charges filed. It wasn't a gross thing to say. People have lied, even if it's a super small fraction. And I'm not saying she did lie. He may be guilty and they don't have the evidence. But Capella , you had him in prison before he had a chance to defend himself. That's the gross and pathetic thing. Forget finding him not-guilty ... they aren't even prosecuting him. Way to send a guy to the chair pre-trial.

Last edited:

wasn't there also an issue about whether Araiza was being honest with the organization about the situation that played into it? So the loss of trust was also a factor? I am sure that the inflammatory nature of the actual accusation also played a role, but I thought there was also something with him not being straight with the Bills about it. Maybe i am conflating it with another story.

Kluwe was vocal, but he also didn't "suck."

I mean it doesn't mean he's innocent or didn't do anything very wrong jsut because there are no criminal charges. Just means they didn't think they could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Still think NFL teams will distance themselves from this. It's just a punter (I know, I know, he's awesome). Just don't think today's news changes THAT much.

Like most things, my personal believe is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Don't think things went down like the girl described them, but don't think he did absolutely nothing shady either. There's lots of scenarios that would fall in the middle there, and something like that would still make them not charge him, but also not be a good fit for an nfl team.
Generally you'd be correct, but the article I read suggested that the reviewing prosecuting agency said more than this and suggested that the allegations were baseless (which is much different than the general "we think he did it, we just can't meet our high burden of proof").

No charges filed. It wasn't a gross thing to say. People have lied, even if it's a super small fraction. And I'm not saying she did lie. He may be guilty and they don't have the evidence. But Capella , you had him in prison before he had a chance to defend himself. That's the gross and pathetic thing. Forget finding him not-guilty ... they aren't even prosecuting him. Way to send a guy to the chair pre-trial.
There’s a difference between her lying and the prosecutor not being able to bring the charges forward because they don’t have enough to convict. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen and it doesn’t mean she is lying.

Also, never had him in prison or the chair (???) or any other nonsense you are spewing. I never even talked about his trial. Stop making arguments up in your head and then attributing them to me.

Kluwe was vocal, but he also didn't "suck."

No, he sucked. I did a comparison of his gross and net to other punters back then. He flat out was way below average to the point I couldn’t believe he was still kicking. He sucked. I have no agenda with him, he just sucked.

• Thinking
Reactions: Zow
Well, we knew charges were not brought against him, and now a 200+ page report details exculpatory evidence in the case against Matt Araiza.

If this is true, I hope he counter sues the "so-called victim" for all the suffering and bs that she subjected him to.

I'm stunned there isn't more media push back now that it is painfully obvious this man was not even present when the alleged rape occurred, this is about as bad as it can get for a grown man living in America in any walk of life, you're entire ability to provide for yourself and family completely shattered in the blink of an eye any time someone cries rape, foul or just "I don't like you" and that's all it takes now to destroy another person's life.

This guy should have an entire documentary produced on what happened to him because it can happen to anyone it seems these days.

I hope he is in someone's camp.

The Rams. They don't have a punter, put him right in LA while they make the Netflix 4 part series.

Well, we knew charges were not brought against him, and now a 200+ page report details exculpatory evidence in the case against Matt Araiza.

If this is true, I hope he counter sues the "so-called victim" for all the suffering and bs that she subjected him to.

I'm stunned there isn't more media push back now that it is painfully obvious this man was not even present when the alleged rape occurred, this is about as bad as it can get for a grown man living in America in any walk of life, you're entire ability to provide for yourself and family completely shattered in the blink of an eye any time someone cries rape, foul or just "I don't like you" and that's all it takes now to destroy another person's life.

This guy should have an entire documentary produced on what happened to him because it can happen to anyone it seems these days.
I think what got him cut by the Bills is that he lied to them. From what he said during the pretext phone call and her friends’ statements, the girl performed oral sex on him at the side of the house. But Araiza had said that he was just urinating and she happened to walk around the corner and see him. My guess, and it’s only a guess, is that when that lie became evident, the Bills felt like they could no longer trust his side of the story and cut him rather than wait around for it all to play out.

As for when he left the party, I’m surprised that they seem to be basing that on one statement from one of his friends. I would think that cellphone data would easily be better proof there one way or the other.

Seems pretty apparent that the girl lied about a whole bunch of stuff too though. And her lawyer’s unprofessional (IMO) behavior throughout has raised a lot of flags.

Users who are viewing this thread