What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Packers next Head Coach.. (1 Viewer)

snogger

Footballguy
Don't know much about him and didn't even know teams were interested:

Packers Offer Job To McCarthyPackers The Packers have chosen their new coach -- and it's not Steve Mariucci. The Packers will officially hire Niners offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy, a former quarterbacks coach with the Packers, later this week, Len Pasquarelli reports.

What a bad hire. The 9'ers offense was one of the worst in NFL history last year. Good luck all GB fans. :no:

This is a very questionable move by Thompson. McCarthy's work with the Niners and Saints was hardly impressive. And McCarthy obviously wasn't someone other teams were very interested in. Plus if last season's poor development by Alex Smith is any indication, this doesn't bode well for McCarthy being able to develop Aaron Rodgers.If there's any potential good news it's that McCarthy is a WCO coach and was a former QBs coach in Green Bay so maybe Favre would feel inclined to return.Given how lackluster this hire is, however, I think Favre will decide to retire.

I just don't get how this improves things at all? Does anybody really think McCarthy will be a better head coach than Sherman? Seems like a lateral or backwards move to me.

McCarthy set to become coach

By Pete Dougherty

PackersNews.com

Copyright 2006

The Green Bay Packers are set to hire Mike McCarthy as their new head coach, according to NFL sources.

McCarthy, 42, was the Packers’ quarterbacks’ coach in 1999, and this past season was the San Francisco 49ers’ offensive coordinator. Before that he was offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints from 2000 through 2004.

The Packers are expected to announce the hiring sometime Thursday or Friday morning

General Manager Ted Thompson interviewed McCarthy on Sunday — he was one of seven candidates Thompson met with in a search to replace fired coach Mike Sherman. Thompson’s final interview was Tuesday with defensive coordinator Jim Bates, who also appeared to be a leading candidate. But Bates said Thompson informed him early Wednesday evening that he wasn’t getting the job.

McCarthy is one of the many coaches league-wide who runs a version of the West Coast offense.

Who would've thought the Ray Rhodes staff from Green Bay's nightmarish 1999 season would have produced two head coaches:First Joe Vitt (although on an interim basis)And now Mike McCarthyNot exactly the Bill Walsh or Mike Holmgren coaching tree.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jan06/384413.asp

Packers poised to hire McCarthy as coach

49ers offensive coordinator was QBs coach in Green Bay in '99

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Jan. 11, 2006

Mike McCarthy, formerly quarterbacks coach in Green Bay in 1999 and most recently the offensive coordinator of the 49ers, is poised to become the next head coach of the Packers.

The Green Bay Packers are poised to hire Mike McCarthy, the San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator and a former quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, as their new head coach.

McCarthy’s agent, Gary O’Hagan, said in a phone interview tonight that he was in the process of working out a deal with the Packers, but he could not say when an agreement would be reached. The fact the two are working on a contract means that general manager Ted Thompson has picked McCarthy from a list of seven candidates to be his head coach.

"We’re working on it," O’Hagan said.

Thompson interviewed McCarthy Sunday in Green Bay and from most accounts the interview went well. McCarthy, 41, was one of only two candidates on Thompson’s list of seven with ties to the organization, having coached quarterbacks for the Packers on Ray Rhodes' staff during the 1999 season.

McCarthy has long been associated with the West Coast offense starting with his days as an offensive quality control assistant in Kansas City when Joe Montana was on the team. During his one season in Green Bay he was able to work with quarterback Brett Favre and develop a solid working relationship with the future Hall of Famer.

It is unclear whether McCarthy will be able to persuade Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates to stick around next year. Bates is under contract but several sources have said that if he wasn’t chosen to coach the Packers he might seek to get out of his contract so he can coach elsewhere.

McCarthy would become the 14th head coach in Packers franchise history, replacing Mike Sherman, who was fired Jan. 2 after six seasons.

Did anyone notice how Aaron Brooks faired without Mr. McCarthy around? Anyone? Seems pretty clear to me that McCarthy had hand in Brooks playing anywhere near well. And if you are going to try to pin the Niners problems on McCarthy, well, I feel sorry for you. It sure as hell wasn't him.....

Packers interview 49ers' McCarthy By TOM SILVERSTEINtsilverstein@journalsentinel.comPosted: Jan. 8, 2006Of all the candidates being considered for the Green Bay Packers' head-coaching job, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy has flown lowest beneath the radar.San Francisco offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy interviewed Sunday with the Packers. But for those who think he's a courtesy interview based on his ties to the organization, his credentials should be considered.McCarthy, 42, became the fourth National Football League assistant coach to interview with general manager Ted Thompson, spending almost the entire day at Packers headquarters Sunday after arriving in Green Bay late Saturday afternoon. He is one of three offensive coordinators Thompson has on his shopping list and the only one to have worked in the Packers' organization.According to one NFL personnel director, McCarthy is a strong candidate for the Packers' position despite hardly ever being mentioned in media circles. The Packers are the only team to request permission from the 49ers to interview McCarthy, but other teams have sent out feelers, according to another NFL source.McCarthy's agent, Gary O'Hagan, said Sunday that McCarthy had a "terrific" interview with Thompson, but he said he didn't know where his client stood on Thompson's list. He said one thing he was sure of was that McCarthy had left an impression with those still in the organization during his year as quarterbacks coach under Ray Rhodes in 1999."That's important," O'Hagan said. "He has a relationship with people there who know what he's capable of."Thompson was personnel director under former general manager Ron Wolf during McCarthy's season in Green Bay and undoubtedly remembered Wolf's respect for McCarthy's ability. McCarthy also worked with personnel analyst John Schneider and the late Mark Hatley, the team's former vice president of football operations, in Kansas City before coming to the Packers.McCarthy grew up in the West Coast offense, first learning it from Bill Walsh disciple Paul Hackett at the University of Pittsburgh (1979-'82) and then with the Chiefs, for whom Hackett became offensive coordinator. He has coached the system wherever he has gone in the NFL and has specialized in working with quarterbacks.As a quality control assistant in Kansas City, McCarthy spent a year working with Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana and then, in 1999, he coached Brett Favre during one of Favre's toughest seasons. Favre gutted out a sprained thumb suffered in an exhibition game and forged three last-minute comeback victories early in the season, but ultimately he finished with the third-lowest quarterback rating of his career and completed a career-low 57.3% of his passes.After Rhodes was fired, McCarthy went to New Orleans, where he was eventually named offensive coordinator and played a big role in the development of quarterback Aaron Brooks, a former Packer. McCarthy coached Brooks and current Seattle starter Matt Hasselbeck while in Green Bay.McCarthy regularly runs an off-season quarterback school where fundamentals are stressed. Hasselbeck credited those workouts for his early success. Known as a no-nonsense straight shooter, McCarthy butted heads with Brooks for five seasons in New Orleans and got mixed results from him.As soon as McCarthy left for San Francisco, Brooks' numbers dropped dramatically and he was benched as the starter this season. McCarthy was thought to be the one person in the organization who would stand up to Brooks and criticize him when he made mistakes."Mike's two great strengths are that he's a great offensive coach and he has a great demeanor," O'Hagan said.Under McCarthy, the Saints' offense ranked 10th in 2000 and 2001, 19th in 2002, 11th in 2003 and 15th in 2004.McCarthy left the Saints after the 2004 season, some say because he didn't feel supported in his dealings with Brooks and thought a change was necessary.This season, the 49ers had one of their worst years in club history on offense and McCarthy took some grief from the fans for it.But San Francisco traded its most experienced quarterback, Tim Rattay, early in the season, lost No. 1 pick Alex Smith to an injury in Week 7 and was devoid of talent at wide receiver and running back.

http://www.sf49ers.com/team/CoachesBio.asp?CoachID=77

With innovative game plans that feature both chain-moving power and quick-strike passing, McCarthy is widely known as one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. McCarthy is a reputed developer of quarterbacks, having tutored Brett Favre, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Blake, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks.

McCarthy joins San Francisco after serving as the New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator since 2000. After leading the NFC in scoring in 2002 with 432 points and 49 touchdowns, the Saints had another record-breaking season in 2003. The 340 points the Saints scored that season was the eighth-highest in club history, and all four of the team’s scoring totals since 2000 under McCarthy rank in the club's all-time top 10. Under McCarthy’s direction, the New Orleans offensive unit set 10 team records and 25 individual records.

Until McCarthy's hiring, the Saints hadn't produced a 1,000-yard wide receiver in eight years, but under McCarthy, Joe Horn caught 437 passes for 6,289 yards and 45 touchdowns and was selected for four Pro Bowls over a five-year span. Also until 2000, the team hadn't generated a 1,000-yard performance from a running back in a decade. But a Saints' running back has since reached the milestone each of his last five seasons. Two runing backs, Ricky Williams and Deuce McCallister, achieved this honor.

Following the 2000 season, McCarthy was chosen as the NFC Assistant Coach of the Year by USA Today.While coaching quarterbacks at Green Bay in 1999, the Packers ranked seventh in the NFL in passing and ninth overall in total offense with quarterback Brett Favre passing for 4,091 yards.

McCarthy also spent six seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, serving as quarterbacks coach the last four years. As an offensive assistant in 1993-94, he worked closely with Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana. As quarterbacks coach from 1995-98, McCarthy's signal callers threw just 52 interceptions - the lowest total in the AFC during that period despite Kansas City using three starting quarterbacks during that span (Steve Bono, Rich Gannon and Elvis Grbac).

I'm not sure how to react just yet. You can't judge him on anything he did in San Francisco, good Lord they didn't have much of anything talentwise out there. But they did play hard and won a few ballgames.Hmmmmm, need to let this sink in a bit. :confused:

I'm not sure how to react just yet. You can't judge him on anything he did in San Francisco, good Lord they didn't have much of anything talentwise out there. But they did play hard and won a few ballgames.

Hmmmmm, need to let this sink in a bit. :confused:
Just go take a look at the Saints offense when McCarthy was around. That should help you understand. Not a bad hire in my book.

I'm not sure how to react just yet. You can't judge him on anything he did in San Francisco, good Lord they didn't have much of anything talentwise out there. But they did play hard and won a few ballgames.
Agreed, but Smith's development was putrid. He got progressively worse as the season went along. And it's not like McCarthy's Saints offenses were anything special given the talent level he had to work with. Those were always viewed as under-achieving offenses with major Red Zone issues (often due to a lack of commitment to the running game) and erratic QB play (again that's not all on McCarthy with Brooks but it's not like McCarthy was able to get Brooks to play at a consistently high level).It's obviously possible McCarthy could turn out to be a great hire. But on the surface, this is a very uninspiring hire of a candidate whose resume isn't exactly glittering and who wasn't viewed as being one of the top candidates available at the present time.

Hmmmmm, need to let this sink in a bit.  :confused:
Just go take a look at the Saints offense when McCarthy was around. That should help you understand. Not a bad hire in my book.
The more I read about him, the more I like it. I just hope he can retain Bates.He sounds like a guy who won't take much gruff, and IF Favre comes back, he sounds like the guy that can reel him in.

:goodposting: Yeah I'm not sure what to think about this hiring either. I'm not too excited, but none of the candidates they were looking at were really awe inspiring either. I will reserve judgement though, Packer fans were saying the same thing way back when they hired Holmgren and we all know how that turned out.

Let's see what kind of staff he puts together and what kind of camp he runs before we can even begin to judge this hiring.

Interesting. Clayton on ESPN 1000 Chicago said Bates had the inside track. Deal getting worked out this weekend. That was at 4:30. that or I am losing my hearing.

I gotta assume Bates is not happy about this and is likely packing his bags right now. Maybe TT found some middle ground to keep him in the Emerald City.

:goodposting: Yeah I'm not sure what to think about this hiring either. I'm not too excited, but none of the candidates they were looking at were really awe inspiring either. I will reserve judgement though, Packer fans were saying the same thing way back when they hired Holmgren and we all know how that turned out.
That isn't true. Holmgren was arguably the top coaching candidate available the year Wolf hired him. He was highly respected and viewed as a strong up-and-coming head coach candidate as a result of his impressive work with the 49ers. If there was a knock on the Holmgren hire at the time, it was the fact he was an offensive coach and many Packer fans wanted a defensive coach and didn't want another offensive coach for fear he would turn out to be another Lindy Infante.But Holmgren's credentials were impeccable at the time.

Interesting. Clayton on ESPN 1000 Chicago said Bates had the inside track. Deal getting worked out this weekend. That was at 4:30. that or I am losing my hearing.
I read this today in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel too. So it does shock me a bit.

That isn't true. Holmgren was arguably the top coaching candidate available the year Wolf hired him. He was highly respected and viewed as a strong up-and-coming head coach candidate as a result of his impressive work with the 49ers. If there was a knock on the Holmgren hire at the time, it was the fact he was an offensive coach and many Packer fans wanted a defensive coach and didn't want another offensive coach for fear he would turn out to be another Lindy Infante.But Holmgren's credentials were impeccable at the time.
Real football fans knew who Holmgren was but at the time alot of casual fans had no clue. Parcells was the target of the Packers and alot of people were peeved that he turned them down.

NO had a very inconsistent offense. In 2004 I think they had a TD in the first quarter only one time all year. Brooks failed to improve from year-to-year, they couldn't run a screen pass to save their lives and they were characterized as under-achieving. They racked up some stats, I'll give you that, but that's because they were frequently playing behind (when you rarely score in the first quarter that'll happen).

Holmgren wasn't the first choice back then. And I believe a lot of people did question his hiring at the time.

:goodposting: Very hard to judge anything from SF this year.

What a bad hire.  The 9'ers offense was one of the worst in NFL history last year.  Good luck all GB fans.  :no:
:lmao: So you want to base the hire just on what he did last year?
Since I unfortunately had the pleasure of watching every single 9'er game last year, it is my opinion that the offense got worse as the year progressed. Smith looked completely lost by the end of the season. Does the disaster fall soley on the OC's shoulder, no. But he was part of the problem. Certainly not a performance worth a promotion. I believe he will suck in GB. We will see.

Man alive, the 2005 season just got THAT MUCH better for Bears fans!!!!This is flippin awesome!Mike McCarthey in Green Bay.Childress in Minnesota.All we need now is Russ Grimm will get hired by Detroit!Is it lost on these teams that former Defensive Coordinators are the Head Coaches leading the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Bears and Panthers?!?!?!?

Man alive, the 2005 season just got THAT MUCH better for Bears fans!!!!

This is flippin awesome!

Mike McCarthey in Green Bay.

Childress in Minnesota.

All we need now is Russ Grimm will get hired by Detroit!

Is it lost on these teams that former Defensive Coordinators are the Head Coaches leading the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Bears and Panthers?!?!?!?
So what are you saying, if a team doesn't hire a D Coordinator as head coach they don't have a chance. Are you seriously suggesting this??

Holmgren wasn't the first choice back then. And I believe a lot of people did question his hiring at the time.
For the reasons I cited above. But again, his credentials were impeccable. Holmgren was viewed as a top head coaching candidate when Wolf hired him. His work with the 49ers had gotten rave reviews. The criticisms aimed at Holmgren by some Packer fans were due to the fact he was an offensive coach and Packer fans were fearful of that given how bad Infante had been.

Man alive, the 2005 season just got THAT MUCH better for Bears fans!!!!

This is flippin awesome!

Mike McCarthey in Green Bay.

Childress in Minnesota.

All we need now is Russ Grimm will get hired by Detroit!

Is it lost on these teams that former Defensive Coordinators are the Head Coaches leading the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Bears and Panthers?!?!?!?
I wouldn't expect much less from a Bear fan, knowing their mentality. :tinfoilhat: Out of that group, those coaches have exactly 3 Super Bowl wins, all from one guy. :lmao:

For the reasons I cited above. But again, his credentials were impeccable. Holmgren was viewed as a top head coaching candidate when Wolf hired him. His work with the 49ers had gotten rave reviews. The criticisms aimed at Holmgren by some Packer fans were due to the fact he was an offensive coach and Packer fans were fearful of that given how bad Infante had been.
Agreed.

What a bad hire.  The 9'ers offense was one of the worst in NFL history last year.  Good luck all GB fans.   :no:
Since I unfortunately had the pleasure of watching every single 9'er game last year, it is my opinion that the offense got worse as the year progressed. Smith looked completely lost by the end of the season. Does the disaster fall soley on the OC's shoulder, no. But he was part of the problem. Certainly not a performance worth a promotion. I believe he will suck in GB. We will see.
From my understanding, it takes 3-4 years to fully understand the WCO. WIth what he had to work with in SF, I won't fault him much at all.

Favre better come back for one more year. If Bates stays and I dont see any reason why he would since he was snubbed, I wonder who the OC is going to be? If Favre and Bates leave I think this would have been the worst scenario possible.

I read this today in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel too. So it does shock me a bit.
Thanks! I thought I was losing it.

Man alive, the 2005 season just got THAT MUCH better for Bears fans!!!!This is flippin awesome!Mike McCarthey in Green Bay.Childress in Minnesota.All we need now is Russ Grimm will get hired by Detroit!Is it lost on these teams that former Defensive Coordinators are the Head Coaches leading the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Bears and Panthers?!?!?!?
Nice :fishing: trip.To even suggest that the Vikings will have lost any ground to the Bears in 2006 after FINALLY dumping Mike Tice is nothing less than a fishing trip. Heck, a box of rocks with a head set might have given Tice a run for his money.....so I gotta say that I am pretty excited about Childress coming to town.

Who would've thought the Ray Rhodes staff from Green Bay's nightmarish 1999 season would have produced two head coaches:

First Joe Vitt (although on an interim basis)

And now Mike McCarthy

Not exactly the Bill Walsh or Mike Holmgren coaching tree.
Technically, they are all part of the Holmgren/Walsh coaching tree.But I agree that neither Joe Vitt nor Mike McCarthy are likely to be remembered as the flowering branches of said tree.

I'm not here to win any popularity contests.Childress was a good hire (I was just chiding ViQueens fans).This Green Bay Mike McCarthy hire borders on lunacy.

This from a guy whose kid was born w/one eyebrow :obscure huddle reference: ;)I'd say the jury is out. He is known as a good offensive mind (lol @ people saying "well SF offense sucked and he was OC so he sucks") and I think people pointing to Brooks' erratic play should be realizing that Brooks is simply an erratic player who will never get to the next level. The coaches can't throw the passes for em. Throw in his familiarity with GB and "intangibles" and you could do worse, at least on paper.Coin flip IMO.

Maybe Bates interview was because Thompson wanted to offer him a large contract to stay on as Defensive Coordinator, much like the Redskins and Williams?

Agreed, but Smith's development was putrid. He got progressively worse as the season went along. And it's not like McCarthy's Saints offenses were anything special given the talent level he had to work with. Those were always viewed as under-achieving offenses with major Red Zone issues (often due to a lack of commitment to the running game) and erratic QB play (again that's not all on McCarthy with Brooks but it's not like McCarthy was able to get Brooks to play at a consistently high level).It's obviously possible McCarthy could turn out to be a great hire. But on the surface, this is a very uninspiring hire of a candidate whose resume isn't exactly glittering and who wasn't viewed as being one of the top candidates available at the present time.
What a bad hire.  The 9'ers offense was one of the worst in NFL history last year.  Good luck all GB fans.   :no:
It remains to be seen whether McCarthy will be an effective leader, but anyone who says that Alex Smith got progressively worse each game didn't see the 49ers on a consistent basis or doesn't know how to evalute quarterbacks. On the contrary, he became progressively better. While his successes were modest, he did grow comfortable enough in the position to warrant optimism for 49er fans by the end of the season. The Niners did win their last two games, in case you have already forgotten. Regarding McCarthy, in some ways, it doesn't matter how good you were as an assistant coach once you have the keys. Just as we know there is a scrap heap of talented ACs who can't lead a team as a head coach, there are HCs in this league who are better at being the top dog, rather than drawing up X's and O's. Ditka was an obvious example. More recently, I'd say that Jim Mora is a better HC than he was an AC... If McCarthy can command the respect of his players, hire talented coordinators and clearly communicate an effective agenda, then he'll do okay. If Thompson can bring in talented players, he'll do even better.

Maybe Bates interview was because Thompson wanted to offer him a large contract to stay on as Defensive Coordinator, much like the Redskins and Williams?
I would certainly like to see Bates stick around as DC based on the performance this season, but I just don't see it happening. Williams has strong financial assurances that he will succeed Gibbs as head coach. Obviously, TT can't offer that to Bates, who I think is about 20 years older than McCarthy. Until we hear otherwise, I think we have to assume Bates is being shown the door.

I'm not here to win any popularity contests.

Childress was a good hire (I was just chiding ViQueens fans).

This Green Bay Mike McCarthy hire borders on lunacy.
Well, I wouldn't quite go THAT far....but the hiring is awfully curious considering the fact that there would seem to be MANY better candidates for the Packers head coaching position still floating around out there. :unsure: So, as far as "idiots" in the NFC North are concerned, are we safe to say:

1 (tie). Ted Thompson, Packers GM

1 (tie). Matt Millen, Lions

Distant Third. :shrug:

.....now that Mike Tice is out of Minnesota?

Why not - they fired just on this year.
Agreed.6 years ago, a LOT of us were like WTF is Mike Sherman?

I am content with this decision. IF Bates is on the outs though, this makes it a little more sketchy, IMO.

Barring a Mariucci hire, this could entice #4 to stick around. We'll see.

Wow. This just goes to tell you how exhausted the talent pool is right now. And six teams still need to hire a head coach. We will probably see some real interesting hires at the end of the process.Granted the Saints had a decent offense, but they were one team that I always circled on my team's schedule as a win.

What in hell is Thompson doing?His personnel moves have been terrible. He seems to be actively pushing Favre out the door, despite having tons of cap room and a top 5 pick in the draft. I think most Packer fans would like them to at least make an effort at one last run. Now he hires the one coach on his list with the most questionable qualifications. When Ron Wolf hired Sherman, it was fair to give him the benefit of the doubt because it was Ron Wolf for cripes sake. He had a track record of success and he had the sack to immediately fix the one glaring mistake he made in hiring Ray Rhodes. What has Thompson done to deserve the benefit of the doubt? Nothing. Hiring McCarthy looks like a crap move until proven otherwise. I could be proven wrong. I'm hoping it's a great move. But I see no reason whatsoever to like this move or anything else Thompson has done so far.

I'm not here to win any popularity contests.

Childress was a good hire (I was just chiding ViQueens fans).

This Green Bay Mike McCarthy hire borders on lunacy.
Well, I wouldn't quite go THAT far....but the hiring is awfully curious considering the fact that there would seem to be MANY better candidates for the Packers head coaching position still floating around out there. :unsure: So, as far as "idiots" in the NFC North are concerned, are we safe to say:

1 (tie). Ted Thompson, Packers GM

1 (tie). Matt Millen, Lions

Distant Third. :shrug:

.....now that Mike Tice is out of Minnesota?
Comparing Thompson & Millen is laughable. Thompson's been in GB less than 1 year. Yeah he hasn't done much as far as player moves but that was a byproduct of Sherman's ineptitude as a GM. This hiring does seem questionable but none of us truly knows what's happening behing the scenes. Maybe this McCarthy is an up and comer, who knows.Millen is a complete joke of a GM, He's proven that over the years. I would guess 99.9% of Lions' fans would take Thompson over Millen in a heartbeat. Let's give Thompson a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread