What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Painting Garage Walls and Ceiling (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
My garage is finished drywall that I'm looking to paint before I install cabinets, bench, etc.  I figure latex paint but considering if I need to use a primer first or will a paint with primer be sufficient.  We don't intend to close it in to make it an extra room or anything like that. It will house her car and a work space on the other wall.  

Any experience or do/don't do recommendations are appreciated. Thinking a lite grey for color but not sure what brand/type to buy.

TIA for any help/recommendations.  

I don't think it matters much.  You will need multiple coats anyway if it is just bare drywall.  1 coat of primer + 1 coat of paint isn't much different from 2 coats of a combined product.

Painted interior of my garage about 3 months ago - but mine were exposed studs - no drywall.

Best advice I can give you - rent or buy a cheaper spray gun for the paint. It will seriously cut down on the time you spend. No cutting in, etc.

It's a garage - doesn't have to be perfect.

5 gallon of Behr paint scuff defense semi gloss in the color you want.

Its a little expensive but it’s indestructible as far as paint goes. (Since using that paint, my youngest child has yet to destroy the walls behind her kitchen and dinning room chairs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Painted interior of my garage about 3 months ago - but mine were exposed studs - no drywall.

Best advice I can give you - rent or buy a cheaper spray gun for the paint. It will seriously cut down on the time you spend. No cutting in, etc.

It's a garage - doesn't have to be perfect.
I have a fair amount of experience with sprayers. Sometimes sprayers are their own headache. In your case with the exposed studs I agree, but for flat walls it’s overkill. 

If you’re spraying you’ll also need a tyvek suit (or clothes you don’t want anymore), eye protection and ideally, a respirator. 

Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I also thought the primer/paint combo would work just fine but have read articles where the primer is needed first because the drywall will soak up the paint more than the seam compound and look off.  But if you have to do 2 coats anyway, why not combine the primer?

I have a fair amount of experience with sprayers. Sometimes sprayers are their own headache. In your case with the exposed studs I agree, but for flat walls it’s overkill. 

If you’re spraying you’ll also need a tyvek suit (or clothes you don’t want anymore), eye protection and ideally, a respirator. 

I have a sprayer that I use on my wood fence with weather seal.  Yes, stuff gets everywhere including eyes if you don't wear goggles.  I think a paint roller will be okay for most of the garage then small brush/foam for space around outlets, etc.

Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I also thought the primer/paint combo would work just fine but have read articles where the primer is needed first because the drywall will soak up the paint more than the seam compound and look off.  But if you have to do 2 coats anyway, why not combine the primer?
Up to you- 

Option A: primer 1 coat, paint 2-3 coats

Option B: primer/paint 2-3 coats 

drywall will soak up the paint more than the seam compound and look off. 
right. joint compound and drywall paper absorb paint differently making more coats necessary for good coverage. pros use drywall sealer first. sealing the drywall solves this issue. it's cheap and goes a long way. you can finish paint over the sealer without priming. or you can get a primer sealer. whatever your undercoat is just make sure it is specifically formulated for bare dry wall. 

Well I guess the question is how "nice" do you want it. If it's just to spruce it up a little I wouldn't be too concerned about the garage. It depends on use imo

belljr said:
Well I guess the question is how "nice" do you want it. If it's just to spruce it up a little I wouldn't be too concerned about the garage. It depends on use imo
Just to coat the exposed drywall, help control dust... and give it a better look than drywall with joint compound stripes everywhere. 

I painted my garage last year and have a combination of exposed (barely painted) concrete block and textured and (barely painted) drywall. I put 2 coats of eggshell on all walls and the ceiling. It turned out great. For straight drywall, definitely use primer of some kind and 2 coats of paint. Using a roller should be fine. Like others have said, it doesn't have to be perfect. 

Painting is a pain in the ###. Just hire someone to do it. One of the best uses of money imo.
I'm with you. I'm both too impatient and too lazy to paint properly. I have someone at my house right now painting my closets. I'm good with $45/HR plus materials.

But I know people who love to paint, too. They know me well enough to not ask for my help when they are doing it.

Paint the ceiling first!

I marked lines and painted the lower 4’ of my garage a dark grey to help hide scuffs. (Upper half is white) 

My garage is finished drywall that I'm looking to paint before I install cabinets, bench, etc.  I figure latex paint but considering if I need to use a primer first or will a paint with primer be sufficient.  We don't intend to close it in to make it an extra room or anything like that. It will house her car and a work space on the other wall.  

Any experience or do/don't do recommendations are appreciated. Thinking a lite grey for color but not sure what brand/type to buy.

TIA for any help/recommendations.  
I would go with safety orange or yellow. Really brighten up the space.

True. Respirator was like $50 and the paper jumpsuit was $15.

I despise painting. Convinced that all professional painters must smoke weed 24/7. Such a mindless boring repetitive task. 

Users who are viewing this thread