What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Panthers shopping Foster (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Report: Panthers shopping DeShaun Foster

ESPN's Pat Yasinkas reports the Panthers are shopping DeShaun Foster.

Yasinkas used to cover the Panthers' beat, so he has the inside track on any team developments. With a $5.8 million cap number, other clubs likely know Foster will eventually be released if Carolina can't find a taker. Foster played poorly last year, averaging just 3.5 yards per carry and losing five fumbles. A team inquiring would have to restructure his contract. Feb. 14 - 10:45 pm et

Source: ESPN.com

Report: Panthers shopping DeShaun Foster ESPN's Pat Yasinkas reports the Panthers are shopping DeShaun Foster.Yasinkas used to cover the Panthers' beat, so he has the inside track on any team developments. With a $5.8 million cap number, other clubs likely know Foster will eventually be released if Carolina can't find a taker. Foster played poorly last year, averaging just 3.5 yards per carry and losing five fumbles. A team inquiring would have to restructure his contract. Feb. 14 - 10:45 pm etSource: ESPN.com
Bears'll take him.

It's always difficult to find willing Foster parents.
but if such a deal can be done, it could foster a sense that deangelo williams will be the man going forward (they could draft a RB ((or add one in free agency)), but they arguably have bigger needs at OL & DL)...some people think he is tiny & a scat back, situational guy, but i think he is close to the size emmitt smith was when he came into the league (with similar lower body), and is no doubt faster... i also think he was fastest prep in arkansas...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of those moves that GMs and personnel directors have to entertain. Sure, the likely outcome is his outright release; and THEN the teams that have interest in him will bring him in for a look. BUT...even if there's a 5% chance there's another GM in the league that covets Foster in particular, it pays to float a trial balloon out there vis-a-vis a trade. You just never know.

I wonder if the Chargers would take a shot at him if he were cut. He's a vet that could offer decent insurance. They don't have a lot of picks and this would enable them to skip drafting a RB this year.

On 2nd thought they'd probably look for their backup to offer some special teams play which I don't believe Foster does.

As a DeAngelo owner since the begining(who is debating cutting him this year in my keep 5 league) I'll be watching this one VERY closely.

As a DeAngelo owner since the begining(who is debating cutting him this year in my keep 5 league) I'll be watching this one VERY closely.
As a Foster owner since last season, I'll be watching this very carefully. If he goes to the Bears that would be great for him. He should be able to beat out Benson. I'm not sold on Benson.

Banger said:
I wonder if the Chargers would take a shot at him if he were cut. He's a vet that could offer decent insurance. They don't have a lot of picks and this would enable them to skip drafting a RB this year. On 2nd thought they'd probably look for their backup to offer some special teams play which I don't believe Foster does.
I'd rather have Julius Jones. but he probably wants to try and get a starter gig somewhere

Foster is not a bad back. I guess a lot of people have animosity toward him because he hasn't lived up to potential? Or because they are DeAngelo owners and blame Foster for Williams' struggles? I don't know.

He probably won't command much on the open market, as Jamal Lewis, Michael Turner, and the rookies will all be available as well.

If he goes to a team with a good running game, he's got the skills to be a good back IMO.

Foster is not a bad back.
:thumbdown: Where do we start this one? Who had a worse YPC in '07 than Foster's 3.5 average? Washed up Warrick Dunn, and that's about it. In 63 career games, he has more fumbles than rushing TDs (10). He's never even surpassed 900 yards in a season, much less 1,000.He's not the worst RB in the NFL, but he's certainly been one of the worst "starting" RBs in the league the last couple of season. He's a bad back.

From the same article:
The idea that the Panthers are willing to part with Foster is a pretty good indication the team could be preparing to make a play for a big-time free agent running back like San Diego's Michael Turner, Dallas' Julius Jones or Derrick Ward of the New York Giants, or that the team is considering selecting one in the NFL draft. Turner and Jones are unrestricted free agents, while Ward is restricted.Either way, it's almost certain the Panthers will look for a bigger power back to complement DeAngelo Williams.
:thumbdown:

:thumbdown: Where do we start this one? Who had a worse YPC in '07 than Foster's 3.5 average? Washed up Warrick Dunn, and that's about it. In 63 career games, he has more fumbles than rushing TDs (10). He's never even surpassed 900 yards in a season, much less 1,000.He's not the worst RB in the NFL, but he's certainly been one of the worst "starting" RBs in the league the last couple of season. He's a bad back.
Unfortunately, well unfortunately for me, I've had to watch a number of Panthers games. Fortunately for you, you haven't. However, having watched the team, and Foster, I stand by my original statement.

:lmao: Where do we start this one? Who had a worse YPC in '07 than Foster's 3.5 average? Washed up Warrick Dunn, and that's about it. In 63 career games, he has more fumbles than rushing TDs (10). He's never even surpassed 900 yards in a season, much less 1,000.He's not the worst RB in the NFL, but he's certainly been one of the worst "starting" RBs in the league the last couple of season. He's a bad back.
The thing is, John Fox never seemed to be able to figure this out. All the while, thousands of Panther fans and fantasy owners were asking "Why?" It still baffles me that they continued to trot Foster out there last year, with his anemic running and his fumbling problems, as their season slowly went down the drain.

:lmao: Where do we start this one? Who had a worse YPC in '07 than Foster's 3.5 average? Washed up Warrick Dunn, and that's about it. In 63 career games, he has more fumbles than rushing TDs (10). He's never even surpassed 900 yards in a season, much less 1,000.He's not the worst RB in the NFL, but he's certainly been one of the worst "starting" RBs in the league the last couple of season. He's a bad back.
Unfortunately, well unfortunately for me, I've had to watch a number of Panthers games. Fortunately for you, you haven't. However, having watched the team, and Foster, I stand by my original statement.
I haven't? :lmao:

L. White @ 3.6 was preettyy close....

3 YARDS AND A CLOUD OF DUST.NO burst!

;) Where do we start this one? Who had a worse YPC in '07 than Foster's 3.5 average? Washed up Warrick Dunn, and that's about it. In 63 career games, he has more fumbles than rushing TDs (10). He's never even surpassed 900 yards in a season, much less 1,000.He's not the worst RB in the NFL, but he's certainly been one of the worst "starting" RBs in the league the last couple of season. He's a bad back.
What makes you think Foster is not a bad back?

The YPC you can sort of live with if the guy has other areas of his game that are serious strengths (receiving ability, blocking, ball control). But when a guy has a piss poor YPC AND can't hang onto the ball -- not just last year, but an ongoing problem -- there's no way he can't be considered a lousy back. Foster should not be a starter in the NFL, period.

If there was ever any doubt that the Panthers have their head up their *** when it comes to Foster this news should quash it. Yet, somehow, it remains unsurprising.

Everyone in the NFL knows Foster is, um, should we say...not good. In fact, I personally believe that he actually has negative trade value; i.e. you would have to give a team something with Foster just to take him and cut him. Perhaps more importantly, as an organization you are compromising credibility by trying to trade a forthcoming liability (due a 5.8 million cap figure for 2008).

Cut him and move on. Jeesh.

:goodposting: Where do we start this one? Who had a worse YPC in '07 than Foster's 3.5 average? Washed up Warrick Dunn, and that's about it. In 63 career games, he has more fumbles than rushing TDs (10). He's never even surpassed 900 yards in a season, much less 1,000.He's not the worst RB in the NFL, but he's certainly been one of the worst "starting" RBs in the league the last couple of season. He's a bad back.
The thing is, John Fox never seemed to be able to figure this out. All the while, thousands of Panther fans and fantasy owners were asking "Why?" It still baffles me that they continued to trot Foster out there last year, with his anemic running and his fumbling problems, as their season slowly went down the drain.
The funny thing is two years ago everyone was asking "Why?" when Foster was on the bench, as there was this insane notion floating around that when the guy was in the game he was great and just never got an opportunity because the guy had one 70 yard run in 2 years and was complete garbage on every other carry of his career up to that point.

I've seen very few, if any, Panther games. Isn't the offensive line a large part of their RB problem? If the O-line is poor, I'm not sure what difference it makes switching RB's, unless you have a one-in-a-million RB like Tomlinson or Peterson.

I've seen very few, if any, Panther games. Isn't the offensive line a large part of their RB problem? If the O-line is poor, I'm not sure what difference it makes switching RB's, unless you have a one-in-a-million RB like Tomlinson or Peterson.
Well, DeAngelo averaged 5 YPC so the line can't be terrible.

not to mention D. Carr was the QB. I believe foster was doing pretty good until he got in there.

Well, DeAngelo averaged 5 YPC so the line can't be terrible.
Or maybe DeAngelo is as good as many of us thought before he was drafted, but his coaching staff hasn't seen it? Foster should have been dealt for Crumpler.

Considering the Panthers has one of the worst Offensive line in the league coupled by frequent injuries to their passing unit (Delhomme, Steve Smith), any other team for Deshaun will be a better foster home :confused: .

Heck, I wish it was DeAngelo who was being released, so I can grab him cheap.

From Benmaller.com, take it for what it worth.

Panthers eye Chargers Turner, Cowboys Jones?The idea that the Panthers are willing to part with DeShaun Foster could be an indication the team is preparing to make a play for a big-time free agent running back like San Diego's Michael Turner, Dallas' Julius Jones or Derrick Ward of the New York Giants, or that the team is considering selecting one in the NFL draft. Free agency begins Feb. 29. Either way, it's almost certain the Panthers will look for a bigger power back to complement DeAngelo Williams. -- Gaston Gazette
The other back that might meet the Panthers needs is Lamont Jordon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donnybrook said:
From Benmaller.com, take it for what it worth.

Panthers eye Chargers Turner, Cowboys Jones?The idea that the Panthers are willing to part with DeShaun Foster could be an indication the team is preparing to make a play for a big-time free agent running back like San Diego's Michael Turner, Dallas' Julius Jones or Derrick Ward of the New York Giants, or that the team is considering selecting one in the NFL draft. Free agency begins Feb. 29. Either way, it's almost certain the Panthers will look for a bigger power back to complement DeAngelo Williams. -- Gaston Gazette
The other back that might meet the Panthers needs is Lamont Jordon.
dayne or duckett for cheap as well

Footballhead said:
Considering the Panthers has one of the worst Offensive line in the league coupled by frequent injuries to their passing unit (Delhomme, Steve Smith), any other team for Deshaun will be a better foster home :goodposting: .Heck, I wish it was DeAngelo who was being released, so I can grab him cheap.
:whistle:

Why did the Panthers even draft DeAngelo? So Fox can sit there and go I won't use him right get me a power back. Seriously if they don't plan on making him the man what a waste the two years they used picks on him and Shelton were.

I honestly think they had Maroney on the brain that year and Williams was next on their list. I think things will work out in the end if they don't expect Williams to do it all by himself. Its gonna be RBBC in Carolina, no matter what Fantasy owners would like.

Users who are viewing this thread