What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Partisan news/infotainment/comedy (1 Viewer)

Snorkelson

Footballguy
Jon Stewart/Chris Wallace interview

came across this old interview and am thinking about the partisanship of different outlets. I think we can agree that there are some news outlets that simply report news vs cable 24/7 shows that try to sensationalize stories to keep people watching when there isn’t currently a catastrophic news story. The lines are very blurred between news and opinion, and if someone says something like “I support abortion in cases of rape” can be reported as “supports killing babies.” To further exacerbate this, we live in an increasingly monetized click bait society where headlines distort the actual story. Going into any story with a goal to identify bias and know what both sides say about something usually results in finding some sort of the truth, but does everybody do that? If you watch Fox News, do you acknowledge that they aren’t actually a news organization and are a Republican leaning network? Do they have a responsibility to be more truthful in their reporting? Do you read what the “fake news media reports? Does Comedy Central have a responsibility to be more fair or keep politics out of their programming? What kinds of things do you guys do to understand what you’re seeing/hearing and the facts of a situation? 

This deserves more than sinking entirely to the bottom of the page, so I'll play. I try to balance these writings with the news to get an accurate picture of what's going on

1. Real Clear Politics
  2. Vox/Instapundit
  3. CNN/Fox/MSNBC
  4. Network News/PBS
  5. Various writings and links around the Web
  6. Journals
This seems to be what I do. I'll skim the thread for suggestions. 

In both news & entertainment on TV, i don't trust anything designed to stop my clicker. PBS, BBC are just there. They are not incentivized to cater to impulse, so i trust them

As far as Comedy Central and their progeny, Jon Stewart covered that in his very last Daily Show. Comedy has a very big job cutting thru the bull####. It's possible to get all up in the justice when doing that, but that's outside the job. Just the bull####, ma'am.....or maaaan. There's plenty of that to deal wid. The Funny will always judge that and there is a direct correlation between justice-warrioring and humor. It's a straight 90 degree angle either way on the chart. Seth Meyers & Samantha Bee are good comedy writers with axes to grind, so can be funny but sometimes aren't. Trevor Noah is a justice warrior, but not much of a writer. He can be (cute) funny but won't and isn't. It took Colbert three years to remember his old boss's lesson and is finally clicking. John Oliver appears to be running away from the AntifaMafia this season, possibly because he sees how unfunny the things he wants to say might be. But it's always open season on bull#### and a real comedian enjoys a perverse glee finding it on his "side", even more than the "enemy's".

Anyone with an objective outlook should understand the Commutative Principle of Comedy: Comedy is an act of imagination (art), all comedy skews left, therefore the right is the right as a function of a lack of imagination. The right will never make their peace with that and that's hilarious. nufced.

Last edited by a moderator:
This deserves more than sinking entirely to the bottom of the page, so I'll play. I try to balance these writings with the news to get an accurate picture of what's going on

1. Real Clear Politics
  2. Vox/Instapundit
  3. CNN/Fox/MSNBC
  4. Network News/PBS
  5. Various writings and links around the Web
  6. Journals
This seems to be what I do. I'll skim the thread for suggestions. 
You read vox? Wow.

You read vox? Wow.
Sure thing. If there's a nuts and bolts policy issue, I want to see what they say.

538 also, which I find really edifying, though 538 has no real partisanship that I can discern.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I will scan headlines, and like someone above...make it a point to try and avoid clearly clickbait headlines.   
Once I get past that..then I will generally read and watch for bias...Usually fairly easy to spot and what I try to do is get the facts out of what 'm reading. Sometimes it's easier than other times.

Reuters, BBC, PBS, are sources I like.   Anything related to the 24 hour news cycle, CNN, Fox--I try very hard to ignore.  

It’s best not to knee-jerk to every headline or every claim.  Far too many stories exclude relevant facts and reasonable explanations...many times on purpose.  The state of journalism right now is at an all-time low.

Anyone with an objective outlook should understand the Commutative Principle of Comedy: Comedy is an act of imagination (art), all comedy skews left, therefore the right is the right as a function of a lack of imagination. The right will never make their peace with that and that's hilarious. nufced.
I hope all you funnyboy liberals have fun burning in hell.

Enough said.

Users who are viewing this thread