What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots are the best team in the NFL right now (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
Ok, the Chiefs are 1 game better still, but considering strength of schedule and all, I say that the New England Patriots are the best team in football right now. The Patriots have won:at Indianapolis (9-3)at Denver (7-5)at Philadelphia (9-3)at Miami (8-4)vs. Tennessee (9-2)vs. Dallas (8-4)How can you argue with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you put it that way, i don't think i can... although my heart wants me to make an argument for the eagles - my brain knows better.

They're good and I'll give them their due for getting it done, but I'm still not convinced. This team has no identity and it will catch up to them. They get the job done, but rarely in a dominating manner. The clock will strike 12 on them at some point in time. What concerns me is the way they switch from offensive juggernuat to a shutdown defense. Again, props to what they've done, just some consern about how they've done it.

They're good and I'll give them their due for getting it done, but I'm still not convinced. This team has no identity and it will catch up to them. They get the job done, but rarely in a dominating manner. The clock will strike 12 on them at some point in time. What concerns me is the way they switch from offensive juggernuat to a shutdown defense. Again, props to what they've done, just some consern about how they've done it.
concern you? that sounds pretty damn impressive to me. they have the best coaching staff in the league. the patriots are always prepared and always come to play. and they can beat you in a shootout and a defensive struggle. find me a team that 's better.

Our identity, is being clutch. When the game is on the line, and the cards are on the table, the Pats take it to the next level.I just wish they could take it to the next level for 60 minutes :ph34r:

They're a good team, even one of the better ones. However, their lack of a consistent running game will catch up to them in the playoffs.

Matrix, quit trying to use your Patriots praise to jinx them. ;)
:confused: what are you talking about? there is no better team in football than the patriots. they jumped all over the colts and pretty much took most of the second half off. and they still won the game. this is a great team.

concern you? that sounds pretty damn impressive to me. they have the best coaching staff in the league. the patriots are always prepared and always come to play. and they can beat you in a shootout and a defensive struggle. find me a team that 's better.
I'm not knocking the Pats, just pointing out what I'm seeing. I'll agree that the coaching is near the best in the league if not the best. What I'm saying is that these close games will catch up with them in the playoffs. They need to take their level of play up a notch to have a good chance at running the table. I'm not convince that they can do that like some other teams. Another way of putting this would be to say that the Pats would be most likely to win a round robin tourney, but not likely to run the table in my opinion.

:confused: what are you talking about? there is no better team in football than the patriots. they jumped all over the colts and pretty much took most of the second half off. and they still won the game. this is a great team.
Matrix, they were one yard away form a defeat. Props for the win, but keep it in perspective.

I'll ask you all to remember back a couple of years....The PA announcer says....Ladies and gentlemen, the New England Patriots have chosen to be introduced as a TEAM....you could see all the Ram's players look down at their shoes because they knew it was over right then and there.That's who the Patriots are...a TEAM. There ain't no "I" or "WE" in team, but there sure is a superbowl victory in it!!GO PATSIES GO!! :thumbup:

I'm not knocking the Pats, just pointing out what I'm seeing. I'll agree that the coaching is near the best in the league if not the best. What I'm saying is that these close games will catch up with them in the playoffs. They need to take their level of play up a notch to have a good chance at running the table. I'm not convince that they can do that like some other teams. Another way of putting this would be to say that the Pats would be most likely to win a round robin tourney, but not likely to run the table in my opinion.
don't worry bassnbrew.as long as the patriots have the best quarterback in the league with the game on the line these other teams don't have a chance. no one is beating the patriots in gilette stadium. the road to the superbowl will run through foxboro.

Matrix, they were one yard away form a defeat. Props for the win, but keep it in perspective.
they weren't playing serious. the patriots were up 31-10 and took pretty much the rest of the second half off until they made some big plays and put the pressure back on manning which as we know he cannot handle. when the colts didn't score the touchdown on second down that's when i knew that the patriots were going to win. i didn't have a doubt in my mind.

don't worry bassnbrew.as long as the patriots have the best quarterback in the league with the game on the line these other teams don't have a chance. no one is beating the patriots in gilette stadium. the road to the superbowl will run through foxboro.
We'll just have to agree to disagree and see who's correct.

I'm not a Pats backer by any means, but all these arguments sound exactly like the ones we heard in 2001.For what its worth ...........

they made some big plays and put the pressure back on manning which as we know he cannot handle.
Oh yeah Peyton really buckled under pressure in this game. He's the one that kept calling runs up the middle even when it took Edge 4 tries last week. Peyton was terrible under pressure against Tampa this season also, but I guess that was past your bed time so you did not see the comeback. Don't even talk about all the playoff loses like they were just his fault.

I know huh.For petes sake!!!!!Now we are gonna lose to Miami :ph34r: :wall: ;)
the patriots are undefeated at home. the game is in december. miami chokes in december. this game will be piece of cake.
You and Deion Sanders should say things like that before every Fins game. :excited: It's gonna be a war...just like the first one. Hopefully the outcome will be a little different.

Oh yeah Peyton really buckled under pressure in this game. He's the one that kept calling runs up the middle even when it took Edge 4 tries last week. Peyton was terrible under pressure against Tampa this season also, but I guess that was past your bed time so you did not see the comeback. Don't even talk about all the playoff loses like they were just his fault.
who cares about some comeback week 5 against a team that sucks? you're right though. it's never manning's fault. he's somehow lost every single big game in his career but no it's not his fault.

How can you say he's lost every big game in his career? He won an SEC championship, he won i think two bowl games and lost one. His first playoff loss was i believe 16-13 to the eventual super bowl runner-up titans. his defense allowed eddie george over 160 yards. Next one was Miami. The defense gives up 200 + yards to Lamar Smith :( and Vanderjact misses a winning field goal at the end of regulation. The last was a total team collapse against the Jets and no he didn't do anything to win that game nor did anyone else. I also believe one of those years the colts had to win out at some point in the season to make the playoffs and they did so. Are those not considered big games?

I thought Manning played really well and yes he did make mistakes but so did Brady. I would put a lot more of the blame on Indy's D than on Manning.IMO the difference in the game was NE's defense held when it had to while Indy's didn't. Throw in a poor ST's play (coaching & execution) by Indy and a great 1 by NE and there you have it.

let's see manning was 0-4 against florida in college and he's 0-3 in the playoffs. he's played like crap in the playoffs.if he played anything like how he played in the regular season they win those games. dude just face it .peyton manning is a choke artist. just like his old man was. and just like his brother will be.

NE_REVIVAL Posted on Nov 30 2003, 10:09 PM-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I thought Manning played really well and yes he did make mistakes but so did Brady. I would put a lot more of the blame on Indy's D than on Manning.IMO the difference in the game was NE's defense held when it had to while Indy's didn't. Throw in a poor ST's play (coaching & execution) by Indy and a great 1 by NE and there you have it.
NO, the difference in the game was the fact that Dungy tried to pound the ball at the end of the game on the last drive, instead of what was working all game...MANNING throwing all over the patriots...4 freaking TDs. :wall:

NE_REVIVAL Posted on Nov 30 2003, 10:09 PM-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I thought Manning played really well and yes he did make mistakes but so did Brady. I would put a lot more of the blame on Indy's D than on Manning.IMO the difference in the game was NE's defense held when it had to while Indy's didn't. Throw in a poor ST's play (coaching & execution) by Indy and a great 1 by NE and there you have it.
NO, the difference in the game was the fact that Dungy tried to pound the ball at the end of the game on the last drive, instead of what was working all game...MANNING throwing all over the patriots...4 freaking TDs. :wall:
choke artist quarterback.choke artist coach.choke artist team. they just go together don't they?

I dissagree just look at the Colts 2nd to last drive started at NE's 11. Indianapolis Colts at 3:45 1-10-NE 11 (3:45) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete to 86-T.Walters (93-R.Seymour). 2-10-NE 11 (3:42) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete to 87-R.Wayne. 3-10-NE 11 (3:38) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete to 87-R.Wayne. 4-10-NE 11 (3:31) 13-M.Vanderjagt 29 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-48-J.Snow, Holder-17-H.Smith. NE 38 IND 34, 4 plays, 0 yards, 0:18 drive, 11:33 elapsed Then on their last possession they have 1st and goal at the 2, then 2nd & goal from the 1 and from there they should be able to pound the ball in but they couldn't do it.

matrix9280 Posted on Nov 30 2003, 10:21 PM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE (Lightning-in-a-Bottle @ Nov 30 2003, 11:19 PM) QUOTE NE_REVIVAL Posted on Nov 30 2003, 10:09 PM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I thought Manning played really well and yes he did make mistakes but so did Brady. I would put a lot more of the blame on Indy's D than on Manning.IMO the difference in the game was NE's defense held when it had to while Indy's didn't. Throw in a poor ST's play (coaching & execution) by Indy and a great 1 by NE and there you have it. NO, the difference in the game was the fact that Dungy tried to pound the ball at the end of the game on the last drive, instead of what was working all game...MANNING throwing all over the patriots...4 freaking TDs. choke artist quarterback.choke artist coach.choke artist team. they just go together don't they?
I REALLY beg to differ, I think they will learn from this and WIN a game or two, in the playoffs...too early, but I strongly feel that Manning learned a lot from the beating by the Jets last year. He has matured greatly and learned he has more weapons at his disposal besides Harrison, Edge and Pollard...very short sighted on your part...chke artist, what do you call the game against the buccs this year??? :eek:

matrix9280 Posted on Nov 30 2003, 10:21 PM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE (Lightning-in-a-Bottle @ Nov 30 2003, 11:19 PM) QUOTE  NE_REVIVAL Posted on Nov 30 2003, 10:09 PM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I thought Manning played really well and yes he did make mistakes but so did Brady. I would put a lot more of the blame on Indy's D than on Manning.IMO the difference in the game was NE's defense held when it had to while Indy's didn't. Throw in a poor ST's play (coaching & execution) by Indy and a great 1 by NE and there you have it. NO, the difference in the game was the fact that Dungy tried to pound the ball at the end of the game on the last drive, instead of what was working all game...MANNING throwing all over the patriots...4 freaking TDs.   choke artist quarterback.choke artist coach.choke artist team. they just go together don't they? 
I REALLY beg to differ, I think they will learn from this and WIN a game or two, in the playoffs...too early, but I strongly feel that Manning learned a lot from the beating by the Jets last year. He has matured greatly and learned he has more weapons at his disposal besides Harrison, Edge and Pollard...very short sighted on your part...chke artist, what do you call the game against the buccs this year??? :eek:
:lol: i wonder what manning learned from the two playoff losses before.how to suck in big games for my team?what did all those weapons get him today nothing. because his coach sucks as much in close games as he does. how long ago was that tampa game anyway? it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme. the colts had an opportunity if they beat the patriots and could beat the titans next week. somehow he finds a way to blow it.

I think now might be a good time to remind everyone that while we are glad to have Matrix aboard the Pats band wagon :) he is not NE homer or as far as I know even a fan of the Pats. Oh and 1 last thing, I didn't start this thread ;)

Who's the best team right now? It doesn't really matter. Who's the best team in the playoffs and the Superbowl is the real question. It won't be the Patriots.

Who's the best team right now? It doesn't really matter. Who's the best team in the playoffs and the Superbowl is the real question. It won't be the Patriots.
then which team will it be oh wise one that will claim the vince lombardi trophy?

then which team will it be oh wise one that will claim the vince lombardi trophy?
Honestly, I don't think it matters. The whole point of yearly championships is that your team makes its mark on history, where it is then indelibly etched. But some years, the contenders are all so uninteresting that you know as you're seeing it that the "champion" is doomed to be forgotten by history.Teams like the 2001 Pats, the 1991 Skins, the 1980 Raiders, the 1970 Colts...these teams might as well have never won at all, as they are nothing but names in a record book. Nothing compelling about any of those teams. They deserve credit for what they achieved, and I guess appearing on TV hositing a trophy is something. But in the minds of the average NFL fan, none of those teams will leave a lasting legacy.I suppose there's still a mathematical chance Cinci could win, and THAT would provide a storyline worthy of remembrance. But other than that, the season is shaping up as a lost cause.

well that's pretty pessimistic now isn't it? if i mean when the patriots win the super bowl, that will be two championships in 3 years.in this day and age that's as close to a dynasty as you're going to get.

The Pats have shown excellent play vs the good teams of the league, VERY opposite from last year where the Pats could not beat good teams.I thought the other shoe would fall vs. Dallas but things are looking good. ALL I WANT is a bye. Pats get a bye, and we will be in great position.

well that's pretty pessimistic now isn't it? if i mean when the patriots win the super bowl, that will be two championships in 3 years.in this day and age that's as close to a dynasty as you're going to get.
sabatoge ;)

Just consider me on the Miami side of any Patriot/Miami sig bet...
Just consider me on the "field" side of any NE Pats Lombardi trophy bet. Matrix, care to bet if you feel that strongly? Maybe the loser doesn't post for a month?

Teams like the 2001 Pats...these teams might as well have never won at all, as they are nothing but names in a record book. Nothing compelling about any of those teams. They deserve credit for what they achieved, and I guess appearing on TV hositing a trophy is something. But in the minds of the average NFL fan, none of those teams will leave a lasting legacy.
What the F&*%# are you talking about?!?What's compelling? What defines a legacy? To be one of three historically elite teams (Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers)? To be an offensive (Rams) or defensive (Ravens, Bucs) juggernaut?Ricky Proehl predicted the formation of a dynasty in 2001 and his team got #####$lapped.What's compelling about the 2001 Patriots storyline is that it is the team-based equivalent "yin" of the Joe Namath "yang" storyline. Joe Namath, the underdog individual predicted the big win and got it. The 01 Pats underdog team were universally dismissed as having a shot to survive Steelers/Raiders/Rams and won it all.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. The whole point of yearly championships is that your team makes its mark on history, where it is then indelibly etched. But some years, the contenders are all so uninteresting that you know as you're seeing it that the "champion" is doomed to be forgotten by history.Teams like the 2001 Pats, the 1991 Skins, the 1980 Raiders, the 1970 Colts...these teams might as well have never won at all, as they are nothing but names in a record book. Nothing compelling about any of those teams. They deserve credit for what they achieved, and I guess appearing on TV hositing a trophy is something. But in the minds of the average NFL fan, none of those teams will leave a lasting legacy.I suppose there's still a mathematical chance Cinci could win, and THAT would provide a storyline worthy of remembrance. But other than that, the season is shaping up as a lost cause.
Who gives 2 shats what some loser Steeler fan thinks :rolleyes: Newsflash for you Mordy, just because the Steelers have sucked for the last 20+ years doesn't mean there haven't been some great teams it just that none of them have resided in Pittsburgh :( By all means Mord keep the TV off, have a few more beers with your buddies and don't let anyone tell you it's not 1980 anymore ;)

Don't know about the best team in the league, but they're up there, and Lord knows they're easily a cut above the marshmellow Colts. :angry:

Who gives 2 shats what some loser Steeler fan thinks :rolleyes: Newsflash for you Mordy, just because the Steelers have sucked for the last 20+ years doesn't mean there haven't been some great teams it just that none of them have resided in Pittsburgh :( By all means Mord keep the TV off, have a few more beers with your buddies and don't let anyone tell you it's not 1980 anymore ;)
And don't forget...they'll be firing up the steel mills real soon too!!Yeah....Pittsburg in all it's sooty glory!!

Like NE as well but really disapointed that INDY scored all over them. That has to be a concern and could bite them hard down the road.You can't be considered a top notch defense when you let a team score all over you with ease. We shall see.

"Us"????

"We"???

"Our team???"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Too funny... I'd like to see your stat-line for the year. Or at least a post when it was "us" after "you" got waxed by the Bills.

For the record, I said it in August and I'm the only one saying it now: The Miami Dolphins are going to win the Super Bowl. So not only am I busting on "your" team, I'm also telling you a division rival is taking home the hardware.

HERD

"Us"????

"We"???

"Our team???"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Too funny... I'd like to see your stat-line for the year. Or at least a post when it was "us" after "you" got waxed by the Bills.

For the record, I said it in August and I'm the only one saying it now: The Miami Dolphins are going to win the Super Bowl. So not only am I busting on "your" team, I'm also telling you a division rival is taking home the hardware.

HERD
Although I respect your opinion, Whale, I cannot see a Wanny coached team ever going far in the playoffs.

Anyone else hear the color commentator (Simms??) yesterday? There was about 1:00 left, colts were driving near the Pats' 40 and they (assuming the colts would win) threw up the AFC east standings graphic. He pointed out that If the colts win, the Phins would be playing for 1st place next week in foxboro. (If we lost and then lost to miami, they'd beat us on division record)Of course, now that we won, there's been no mention (that I've noticed) that the Pats can clinch the AFC East with a win over Miami. We'd be up 3 with three to go, and would've swept them head-to-head.No; I'm not crying for more respect for the Pats....I give up on that. But, doesn't it seem that some of these commentators pull for certain teams? Miami is ALWAYS an NFL darling. Always a pre-season favorite; always percieved as a contender.Same with Dallas this year. I love parcells, But.... I'm sick of hearing about the great cowboys when the Eagles are barn-storming across the NFC.Again with KC....Love holmes and green but the networks just want to see vermeil crying in Houston this february. They never mention the chiefs cakewalk schedule; or their lack of depth (IMHO) If priest goes down ~ already with a bum hip and shoulder~ they're screwed.I just wish they wouldn't push the story lines so hard. Focus more on the stats and facts.Pats have won 8 straight. Eagles 7 straight. Has ANY expert picked that as a super bowl matchup?They all seem to push for stlouis/KC or for the best high-profile QBs (Mcnabb, McNair, Manning, Favre)Ask Dan Marino how many prolific QBs have won super bowls. I love peyton, but they WILL NOT get to the big game with a defense that allows 69 points AT HOME to the Pats and Jets. <end tirade....for now> :rant:

Users who are viewing this thread