What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paypal (1 Viewer)

But wait, it's for business transactions. If I gift a friend $800, that isn't taxed. So maybe it shouldn't matter. 
I wouldn't bet on that being the case.  Otherwise, everyone will always just send to family or friends to circumvent the tax law.    Even if that is the case initially (not saying that it is), you can bet the farm that will change.  Best case scenario is the person getting the money will still get a 1099-K form and it will be a hassle at tax time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't bet on that being the case.  Otherwise, everyone will always just send to family or friends to circumvent the tax law.    Even if that is the case initially (not saying that it is), you can bet the farm that will change.  Best case scenario is the person getting the money will still get a 1099-K form and it will be a hassle at tax time.
The biggest drawback using friends and family, is that transaction cannot be disputed.  Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.  If anyone ever ask you to send money this way thru PayPal, if you don’t know the individual,, treat as if it’s probably a scam..  I pay my leagues fees in my fantasy leagues using the friends and family, feature, but I know it’s not a scam,  no way would I use that feature if I was’t sure.  I always put in the comments something like “Happy Birthday”, never mention anything fantasy related.  Losing the ability to dispute a transaction is why most people don’t circumvent the tax law.

Friends and Family is for sending money to friends and family. Transfers are immediate and there are no fees. Using it to pay for a commercial transaction is a violation of the PayPal terms of service. You not only can't dispute it, you risk loss of your PayPal account for defrauding PayPal of their rightful fees.”

The biggest drawback using friends and family, is that transaction cannot be disputed.  Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.  If anyone ever ask you to send money this way thru PayPal, if you don’t know the individual,, treat as if it’s probably a scam..  I pay my leagues fees in my fantasy leagues using the friends and family, feature, but I know it’s not a scam,  no way would I use that feature if I was’t sure.  I always put in the comments something like “Happy Birthday”, never mention anything fantasy related.  Losing the ability to dispute a transaction is why most people don’t circumvent the tax law.

Friends and Family is for sending money to friends and family. Transfers are immediate and there are no fees. Using it to pay for a commercial transaction is a violation of the PayPal terms of service. You not only can't dispute it, you risk loss of your PayPal account for defrauding PayPal of their rightful fees.”
While I agree with you regarding not cheating PayPal out of their fees, but in respect to the 1099K issue, I suspect people won’t be able to get around the IRS using family and friend transactions for money received from fantasy football.  The IRS won’t care about the distinction.  They know everyone will use that as a way to avoid the 1099-K form, so the IRS will prevent it from happening, if not right away, then very soon.  I’m out of the PayPal game as of today.  I also won’t be selling on E-bay anymore because of the changed 1099K law.

While I agree with you regarding not cheating PayPal out of their fees, but in respect to the 1099K issue, I suspect people won’t be able to get around the IRS using family and friend transactions for money received from fantasy football.  The IRS won’t care about the distinction.  They know everyone will use that as a way to avoid the 1099-K form, so the IRS will prevent it from happening, if not right away, then very soon.  I’m out of the PayPal game as of today.  I also won’t be selling on E-bay anymore because of the changed 1099K law.
JohnnyU, I’m doing the same thing regarding eBay, I’m not selling anymore of my sports collection on their site and I’ve been a member of eBay since their inception..  I’m actually so upset about these new tax laws, it’s almost making me a little depressed.  For the average person who grew up collecting sports cards and other memorabilia, we have no clear paper trail on how much each item costs us.  It’s nuts.  My gut tells me that eBay will be losing a lot of sellers who are like us.

You can go that route if you want,  but for now there is a clear and easy way to still send fantasy winnings electronically to friends and family without it being reported on a 1099-K. I haven't seen anything that even says a purpose of this change is to capture winnings for fantasy football for tax purposes.

I'm not sure I buy the slippery slope concern either. The IRS doesn't necessarily want to have records of everytime you reimburse a friend for dinner. There will probably always be a carve out for transfer's between friends and family that aren't for goods and services because if they have too much garbage data it would be tougher to find the people who are running side businesses and not paying taxes on their earnings.

The eBay thing is a separate issue in my opinion and it's technically always been a rule that people should be paying taxes on things they sell. 

You can go that route if you want,  but for now there is a clear and easy way to still send fantasy winnings electronically to friends and family without it being reported on a 1099-K. I haven't seen anything that even says a purpose of this change is to capture winnings for fantasy football for tax purposes.

I'm not sure I buy the slippery slope concern either. The IRS doesn't necessarily want to have records of everytime you reimburse a friend for dinner. There will probably always be a carve out for transfer's between friends and family that aren't for goods and services because if they have too much garbage data it would be tougher to find the people who are running side businesses and not paying taxes on their earnings.

The eBay thing is a separate issue in my opinion and it's technically always been a rule that people should be paying taxes on things they sell. 
Technically you right and I agree, but after all of these years of not enforcing it, it’s just a hard pill to swallow.

I never said the purpose of the change is to capture winnings from fantasy football, but it is a victim of the change.  You can go ahead and keep collecting winnings and fees in PayPal thinking family and friends transactions will save you from the 1099-K form, but I would rather be proactive and minimize risk by not using PayPal until I know more.  Not to mention the risk of accounts being frozen, which is very real.

It depends what you sell on ebay as well.  If you are just selling old junk for less than you originally paid for it, you do not owe taxes on that, but if you are running some type of flipping business or have some other side hustle, then you do. 

It's not individual transactions, but a total of $600 or more for the year.
For "goods & services" not from friends. As long as people don't put anything fantasy/gambling related in the memo and don't use the goods & services option to pay then nothing will happen. The woman ScottF tweeted about was probably running multiple leagues and she or the players were writing "fantasy league dues/winnings" in the memo.

For "goods & services" not from friends. As long as people don't put anything fantasy/gambling related in the memo and don't use the goods & services option to pay then nothing will happen. The woman ScottF tweeted about was probably running multiple leagues and she or the players were writing "fantasy league dues/winnings" in the memo.
I wouldn't count on that being the case.  The IRS doesn't care about that distinction and simply want to get paid, so they are not going to allow that loophole long term IMO.  Otherwise everyone can avoid the 1099-K if that were the case.

I wouldn't count on that being the case.  The IRS doesn't care about that distinction and simply want to get paid, so they are not going to allow that loophole long term IMO.  Otherwise everyone can avoid the 1099-K if that were the case.
It's not a loophole.  Loopholes are legal.  Avoiding taxes by not reporting income is tax evasion.  Doesn't matter if a third party is reporting it to the IRS or not.  It's the tax payers responsibility to do so.  

It's not a loophole.  Loopholes are legal.  Avoiding taxes by not reporting income is tax evasion.  Doesn't matter if a third party is reporting it to the IRS or not.  It's the tax payers responsibility to do so.  
I'll bet that PayPal will send anyone a 1099-K with this new tax law who receives $600 or more yearly, whether money was sent with the family and friends transaction or Goods and Services.  At the very least I'm not willing to take the risk, thus the reason I closed out my PayPal account yesterday.  If you are willing to stomach the risk, then have at it.  The original loophole to avoid PayPal fees by choosing family and friends may still be good, but I wouldn't count on PayPal not sending you a 1099-K form, probably at the IRS mandate, regardless of transaction distinctions.   Don't confuse sending to family and friends and PayPal fees with the new law 1099-K form.  They are two totally different animals.

I'll bet that PayPal will send anyone a 1099-K with this new tax law who receives $600 or more yearly, whether money was sent with the family and friends transaction or Goods and Services.  At the very least I'm not willing to take the risk, thus the reason I closed out my PayPal account yesterday.  If you are willing to stomach the risk, then have at it.  The original loophole to avoid PayPal fees by choosing family and friends may still be good, but I wouldn't count on PayPal not sending you a 1099-K form, probably at the IRS mandate, regardless of transaction distinctions. .  Don't confuse sending to family and friends and PayPal fees with the new law 1099-K form.
If you're a law abiding citizen you shouldn't be concerned about receiving a 1099-K.  When you enter it you'll also be asked questions to determine if it's taxable income.  You should be determining your taxable income whether you receive 1099's or not. 

Now, if your concern is more about violating PayPal's rules and finally getting caught, then it probably is best you stop using it.  And I don't blame PayPal for not wanting to be part of people's tax evasion. 

If you're a law abiding citizen you shouldn't be concerned about receiving a 1099-K.  When you enter it you'll also be asked questions to determine if it's taxable income.  You should be determining your taxable income whether you receive 1099's or not. 

Now, if your concern is more about violating PayPal's rules and finally getting caught, then it probably is best you stop using it.  And I don't blame PayPal for not wanting to be part of people's tax evasion. 
Well, I would rather not have to pay taxes on fantasy football cash won, especially how relatively small the amount is, but is usually over $600.  Might as well stay away from PayPal in that case.  I don't want the hassle either.

It depends what you sell on ebay as well.  If you are just selling old junk for less than you originally paid for it, you do not owe taxes on that, but if you are running some type of flipping business or have some other side hustle, then you do. 
I might be confused, but won’t this will only happen if you have a paper trail for what you paid for the old junk also you have to itemize your tax returns, which a lot of people don’t do now.  If someone sells $600 or more worth of junk during the coarse of the year and they don’t itemize, won’t they have to pay taxes? 

JohnnyU said:
I'll bet that PayPal will send anyone a 1099-K with this new tax law who receives $600 or more yearly, whether money was sent with the family and friends transaction or Goods and Services.  At the very least I'm not willing to take the risk, thus the reason I closed out my PayPal account yesterday.  If you are willing to stomach the risk, then have at it.  The original loophole to avoid PayPal fees by choosing family and friends may still be good, but I wouldn't count on PayPal not sending you a 1099-K form, probably at the IRS mandate, regardless of transaction distinctions.   Don't confuse sending to family and friends and PayPal fees with the new law 1099-K form.  They are two totally different animals.
So if I lend a friend $600 bucks and he Paypals it pack to me a few months later I'm going to be taxed for that? No way. The $600 threshold clearly applies to "goods & services".

So if I lend a friend $600 bucks and he Paypals it pack to me a few months later I'm going to be taxed for that? No way. The $600 threshold clearly applies to "goods & services".
I would have to hear it from PayPal before I believed it.  Perhaps someone should ask them?

So it’s finally just hitting me…

if I am the treasurer for our weekly online poker game, and I pay and receive $ from the players around once a month, and any one of those people are paid, or pay me, more than $600 in a year, then I’ll be taxed? Is this only for Venmo and PayPal? Any idea on ApplePay?

So it’s finally just hitting me…

if I am the treasurer for our weekly online poker game, and I pay and receive $ from the players around once a month, and any one of those people are paid, or pay me, more than $600 in a year, then I’ll be taxed? Is this only for Venmo and PayPal? Any idea on ApplePay?
No. Just don't write anything about poker/gambling in the memo and you're fine.

For years I have kept around 3K in paypal for convenience in ordering items online and not have to deal with addresses and CC numbers. I zero'd my account Friday and after I get my Yahoo public league winning I will zero that out as well. I tweeted them letting them know why, I am no hero but if everyone in the fantasy football community did the same thing they would lose 10's of millions overnight and even more after that as I assume they use our money to invest in other ventures like a bank would. They have to know that their aggression will not be tolerated. 😂

Saw this posted on Twitter last week. Pretty sure involving guy that runs a lot of leagues posted here as well.

Sucks for him and hopes works out for all involved. 

PayPal froze my account last June for what I assume was owner(s) putting fantasy football in the comments. They don't tell you the specific reason. I talked to a rep who said that they'd mail me my balance after 180 days if there were no damages. Without any notice, they transferred my balance to the PayPal company and called it damages as soon as the 180 days had passed. Over $1,660 lost. Other folks I've talked to have lost even more as they they can seize $2,500 per "damage" according to their terms of service.

Venmo is now owned by PayPal and lists fantasy sports as prohibited in their terms of service as well.

Beware!

Paypal is #######g ruthless. Its a great idea that is terrible in its "enforcement".

Its fine when you are giving 10 bucks here  and there.

When you are selling or receiving they will do you over for a dollar.

UFFLCommish said:
PayPal froze my account last June for what I assume was owner(s) putting fantasy football in the comments. They don't tell you the specific reason. I talked to a rep who said that they'd mail me my balance after 180 days if there were no damages. Without any notice, they transferred my balance to the PayPal company and called it damages as soon as the 180 days had passed. Over $1,660 lost. Other folks I've talked to have lost even more as they they can seize $2,500 per "damage" according to their terms of service.

Venmo is now owned by PayPal and lists fantasy sports as prohibited in their terms of service as well.

Beware!
That’s why I opened a new savings account and move my PayPal balance to it.  I will still use PayPal to collect fees, but will immediately transfer it to the saving account.  Then in December I will put just enough money back in PayPal to pay winnings (not including what teams roll over to the next season obviously) and do that as soon as it clears in PayPal.  The goal is not leave a sitting balance In PayPal.

It only affects a few payment services. I'm sure they would never do something similar to checking/savings accounts. 

That’s why I opened a new savings account and move my PayPal balance to it.  I will still use PayPal to collect fees, but will immediately transfer it to the saving account.  Then in December I will put just enough money back in PayPal to pay winnings (not including what teams roll over to the next season obviously) and do that as soon as it clears in PayPal.  The goal is not leave a sitting balance In PayPal.
When I use PayPal and Venmo to send and receive poker, er, I mean, "book club" money ;) I never put cash into my PayPal or Venmo account. They’re linked to my checking account and the act of paying someone pulls that exact amount from my checking account. Is that not how it works for you? Or are there downsides to the way I do it that I’m not aware of, especially in light of these new tax rules?
But, yes, when people pay ME, then I definitely immediately transfer that money to my checking account that same day. 

When I use PayPal and Venmo to send and receive poker, er, I mean, "book club" money ;) I never put cash into my PayPal or Venmo account. They’re linked to my checking account and the act of paying someone pulls that exact amount from my checking account. Is that not how it works for you? Or are there downsides to the way I do it that I’m not aware of, especially in light of these new tax rules?
But, yes, when people pay ME, then I definitely immediately transfer that money to my checking account that same day. 
Always had our checking linked to PayPal, just want to keep fantasy football separate from my checking account, thus the reason to open a new savings account.  Either way,  keep PayPal a zero balance as soon as possible.

Always had our checking linked to PayPal, just want to keep fantasy football separate from my checking account, thus the reason to open a new savings account.  Either way,  keep PayPal a zero balance as soon as possible.
Understood about the separate checking account, but I guess I was responding to this sentence you wrote: “in December I will put just enough money back in PayPal to pay winnings". And my question was why are you transferring any money into PayPal at all? The act of using PayPal to send friends money automatically transfers money from your checking account to your friend's account and you don’t have to have any money sitting in the PayPal account at all.
Don’t mean to be nitpicking. I’m just trying to really precise in understanding this topic with the recent tax changes. :)  

Understood about the separate checking account, but I guess I was responding to this sentence you wrote: “in December I will put just enough money back in PayPal to pay winnings". And my question was why are you transferring any money into PayPal at all? The act of using PayPal to send friends money automatically transfers money from your checking account to your friend's account and you don’t have to have any money sitting in the PayPal account at all.
Don’t mean to be nitpicking. I’m just trying to really precise in understanding this topic with the recent tax changes. :)  
No, I don’t use PayPal that way.  I don’t want PayPal automatically transferring anything from my checking.  I will transfer money to PayPal in December to pay league winnings. That is my preference.  Before I just kept it in PayPal at all times until ready to pay winnings.  I don’t trust them, but will use the service to send and receive money via family and friends and immediately take money received out of PayPal and put in my bank.  Hope that answers your questions.   I’ve heard too many instances of PayPal freezing accounts, again, I don’t trust them.   I keep the league funds in a savings account because it is free for me.  Another checking would cost me a fee from my bank and I want to keep fantasy funds separate from my main family account, which is the one PayPal is linked to.

No, I don’t use PayPal that way.  I don’t want PayPal automatically transferring anything from my checking.  I will transfer money to PayPal in December to pay league winnings. That is my preference.  Before I just kept it in PayPal at all times until ready to pay winnings.  I don’t trust them, but will use the service to send and receive money via family and friends and immediately take money received out of PayPal and put in my bank.  Hope that answers your questions.   I’ve heard too many instances of PayPal freezing accounts, again, I don’t trust them.   I keep the league funds in a savings account because it is free for me.  Another checking would cost me a fee from my bank and I want to keep fantasy funds separate from my main family account.
Ah. I’m glad I asked some extra questions! I thought the frozen accounts being mentioned were the PayPal accounts themselves and not the associated/linked bank accounts! If that’s the case, I totally get your approach of not allowing auto-transfers and handling that manually. Thanks for clarifying. 

Ah. I’m glad I asked some extra questions! I thought the frozen accounts being mentioned were the PayPal accounts themselves and not the associated/linked bank accounts! If that’s the case, I totally get your approach of not allowing auto-transfers and handling that manually. Thanks for clarifying. 
My worry is about PayPal acct. being frozen,. not my bank account.  But I choose to use PayPal in this manner nevertheless.

ATTENTION ALL COMMISSINERS 

My advice is to put this statement in your league fees thread for everyone to see in order to not get a 1099-K form from PayPal

*** PLEASE SEND TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS *** , not item or services.  This will prevent tax issues with the new 1099-K form.  If you don't use PayPal we will do it by check.

When sending by PayPal -  Click Send option at the top of your Dashboard, then click, enter amount and my address, click continue.  Then a window what's this payment for will popup with options family or friends and paying for an item or service.  Choose family and friends.

Also, don't put anything in the note about fantasy football or use the word winnings.

https://twitter.com/ScottFish24/status/1479405654125199364

This is an article on it. Chris Moneymaker is leading it. I know one other considering joining it. This article is from June, but he is still going through with the lawsuit despite them refunding him.

The article is here:

https://www.cardschat.com/news/paypal-refunds-12k-of-frozen-funds-to-chris-moneymaker-in-dfs-league-dispute-101561/

Scott Fish runs hundreds of leagues on MFL. Chris Moneymaker, the poker player, had $12,000 in fantasy football entry fees for a private league (which I guess he runs). PayPal told him he was in violation and banned him, which he agreed was PayPal's legal right, but PayPal seized the $12,000, which Moneymaker said was illegal. He threatened to sue, and PayPal gave him the money back. But he heard from so many other people in similar situations (who aren't as rich as Moneymaker and can't carry through with a threat to sue) that he's supposedly putting together a class-action suit against PayPal. 

The class action law suit was filed in court a couple days ago. I believe it still needs to be certified. Moneymaker is not one of the three plaintiffs as PayPal caved and gave him his money back. The lawyer is one of Moneymaker's buddies in CAL. I've filled out the Intake Form and have requested to join the law suit. Waiting to hear back.

Users who are viewing this thread