What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People on-line are saying it’s bad to visit Hawaii as a tourist….huh? (1 Viewer)

Olivia Rodrigo apparently just got slammed for this. I never realized this was a thing.

Someone commented on her photos.

Daily Mail writing about this doesn’t make it a thing.

there is now more outrage about the outrage.

Olivia Rodrigo apparently just got slammed for this. I never realized this was a thing.

Someone commented on her photos.

Daily Mail writing about this doesn’t make it a thing.

there is now more outrage about the outrage.

Exactly. There's this new trend of sites pretending there is outrage about something so they can defend the thing against the "outrage" they invented. And their source, like this one, is usually a few random tweets or something.

Screenrant did it recently writing an article defending Tropic Thunder against the "controversy" around the movie. Of course there is no controversy around the movie, they just cherry picked out a few random tweets from nobodies and pretended it was "controversy".

You can find a few tweets saying basically anything. That doesn't mean there's "controversy" or "outrage".

last i checked, hawai’i for some reason is a state. so, if people want to screech about 1st and 2nd amendment rights and the like, don’t tell me as a US citizen what states i can visit and live in.

I find this more and more common. I'll see a NY Post Headline that says "Italian Americans outraged over Chris Platt playing Mario" and then click on the story and it's based on 3 or 4 random tweets (not sure how they even know that "Panther Pat" is Italian).
Not even tweets. REPLIES to tweets.

These sites are content farms, and they have entry level people writing trash looking for engagement.

(1) This is a manufactured controversy. Yes, there are some folks in Hawaii that are anti-tourism, but they are a very small minority (even smaller than the Hawaiian independence supporters).

(2) Maybe consider going on a vacation and not bragging to the world about it on your public IG page?

We visited Maui last fall and I won't go back - not because some locals asked us not to come back, but because it is too crowded, touristy, and overdeveloped.

(2) Maybe consider going on a vacation and not bragging to the world about it on your public IG page?
I don’t see the issue with what Olivia Rodrigo did and would not consider it “bragging.” I post vacation pictures on my public Instagram page too, but I guess I’m not a public figure.

I don’t see the issue with what Olivia Rodrigo did and would not consider it “bragging.” I post vacation pictures on my public Instagram page too, but I guess I’m not a public figure.

Okay, how about “attention seeking”? Particularly if you are a public figure, someone is going to complain about something (or a website is going to pretend that people are complaining about something based on a complete outlier).

Also, you have a public IG page? Do you mind if I ask why?

Okay, how about “attention seeking”? Particularly if you are a public figure, someone is going to complain about something (or a website is going to pretend that people are complaining about something based on a complete outlier).

Mine's public. I post food photos of things I cook/eat and like it for finding other people who do the same. What's the issue with a public IG?

To help spread his anti-windmill agenda

Mine's public. I post food photos of things I cook/eat and like it for finding other people who do the same. What's the issue with a public IG?

I didn’t say there was an issue with it. I just don’t understand why someone (who wasn’t otherwise trying to curate a public image or had some other business promotional interest) would be motivated to post photos of themselves to strangers, which is why I asked the question.

Mostly post photos of stuff related to my hobbies (such as photography of nature and birds, or history) and have gotten some interactions / new follows based on that. Spammers can be a bit more of a problem on public setting, and it is close on cost/benefit. Try to keep pictures of my kid very limited on there because public, and keep that more to private Facebook.

Mostly post photos of stuff related to my hobbies (such as photography of nature and birds, or history) and have gotten some interactions / new follows based on that. Spammers can be a bit more of a problem on public setting, and it is close on cost/benefit. Try to keep pictures of my kid very limited on there because public, and keep that more to private Facebook.

Makes total sense. Thanks.

I find this more and more common. I'll see a NY Post Headline that says "Italian Americans outraged over Chris Platt playing Mario" and then click on the story and it's based on 3 or 4 random tweets (not sure how they even know that "Panther Pat" is Italian).
Not even tweets. REPLIES to tweets.

These sites are content farms, and they have entry level people writing trash looking for engagement.

or get halfway through the article and then see the source is, "Reddit poster Patfan38476 said ..."

last i checked, hawai’i for some reason is a state. so, if people want to screech about 1st and 2nd amendment rights and the like, don’t tell me as a US citizen what states i can visit and live in.
Oh yeah? When did you check that last? Why were you checking to see if Hawaii was a state still? What source did you use to check it last?

Agreed on the clickbait journalism stuff.

On a more serious note, I do get the tension. Especially in a place like Hawaii that has an understandably strained relationship with the US and how they became part of it.

But even for normal situations it's a thing. I live in East Tennessee and we have tons of tourists to the Smoky Mountains. And places like Pigeon Forge and such. I mostly avoid the touristy areas but I understand the frustration with extra traffic and such. And I also get that it helps our economy. LIke lots of things, it's best to get just the right amount but that's not always easy.

On a more serious note, I do get the tension. Especially in a place like Hawaii that has an understandably strained relationship with the US and how they became part of it.

But even for normal situations it's a thing. I live in East Tennessee and we have tons of tourists to the Smoky Mountains. And places like Pigeon Forge and such. I mostly avoid the touristy areas but I understand the frustration with extra traffic and such. And I also get that it helps our economy. LIke lots of things, it's best to get just the right amount but that's not always easy.
I think the key is when you visit, you should be respectful to the people, culture and environment. You should everywhere but given the history, more so some places.

I think the key is when you visit, you should be respectful to the people, culture and environment. You should everywhere but given the history, more so some places.

For sure. But sometimes, it's just a sheer matter of the number of people. My daughter lived in Maui and after pandemic traffic was insane. Like normal trips taking twice as long as normal. Just because of the sheer number of people there.

For sure. But sometimes, it's just a sheer matter of the number of people. My daughter lived in Maui and after pandemic traffic was insane. Like normal trips taking twice as long as normal. Just because of the sheer number of people there.

I don't get the post-pandemic surge. Weren't the resorts always usually full before COVID? I know I could never get a last minute reservation. Where are all these extra people staying?

I do feel a sense of guilt when visiting Hawaii seeing how so much of the land has been bought up and (over?) developed by non-natives, leaving the natives to exist somewhat on the margins in a really expensive environment, while the tourists put a lot of strain on the local ecology. We assume they're better off due to the influx of tourism money, but I wonder sometimes.

Communities need to protect the place. Not allowing over development, actually having a strategy.

Venice Italy finally bans cruise ships, then they don't. Never should have allowed in the first place. There's loads of places with guardrails in place to prevent places being ruined.

Ski areas got greedy, and now there's no place for staff to live, and too many visitors for local infrastructure. List of places where local greed ruined the charm are a dime a dozen.

I do feel a sense of guilt when visiting Hawaii seeing how so much of the land has been bought up and (over?) developed by non-natives, leaving the natives to exist somewhat on the margins in a really expensive environment, while the tourists put a lot of strain on the local ecology. We assume they're better off due to the influx of tourism money, but I wonder sometimes.
This also very much describes Arizona.

Amsterdam and Spain both have strategies in place to deter British lads from visiting.

:banned:

This sounds like what's happened to NYC the last 25 years.

Users who are viewing this thread