What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peter Sirmon, (M?) LB, Titans (1 Viewer)

Rovers

Footballguy
Here is the most recent info I have on Sirmon....

Please disregard this article.... it is very dated! :bag:

Sirmon pays visit to Rams, will now weigh his options

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

The Titans have had a tough enough time this offseason holding on to their unrestricted free agents.

Now they may be in a fight if they want to keep outside linebacker Peter Sirmon, arguably Tennessee's top restricted free agent.

Sirmon met with Rams officials yesterday in St. Louis, touring the practice facility, having lunch with defensive coordinator Lovie Smith and discussing opportunities. He returned to Nashville last night without an offer sheet, however.

''I expect them to get back to my agent in a couple of days,'' Sirmon said. ''I'm not sure what the level of interest is, but if someone wants to talk to you there is no reason you shouldn't go and talk to them and see what they are thinking. Right now I'm just going to sit back and see what the options might turn out to be.''

Because Sirmon is a restricted free agent (three years of NFL experience) the Rams would have to sign him to an offer sheet by April 18.

The Titans would have an opportunity to match the offer. If they choose not to match, they will be awarded a fourth-round draft pick as compensation. Sirmon was a fourth-round pick by the Titans in 2000.

Sirmon has been offered $605,000, the lowest tender amount for a restricted free agent, by the Titans. That total already counts against the salary cap.

The Rams, with more than $4 million in salary cap room and an extra fourth-round pick as the result of an offseason trade, are in a position to make Sirmon a solid offer. The Titans, meanwhile, have about $306,000 in cap room and must free up an additional $600,000 just to draft players later this month. They would need to free up even more to match an offer from the Rams.

''I am sure if they look at our cap number they are thinking they have us in a bind and they can put an offer sheet on him that we can't match,'' Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said. ''But … if we want to come up with the money to match probably any offer sheet they want to put out there, we can do it.''

Asked if the Titans would make a strong attempt to match an offer, Reese said that depends. Sirmon becomes an unrestricted free agent next offseason and would be in position for a long-term deal.

''You have to weigh both sides of it,'' Reese said. ''You look at whatever the offer sheet is and then you go from there.''

Sirmon, who spent last week on the field with the Titans for organized workouts, had a breakout season in 2002, his first year as a starter.

He led Titans linebackers and tied for second on the team with three interceptions, including one he returned for a 32-yard touchdown at Jacksonville. He was second on the team with 130 tackles.

Sirmon's agent is Frank Bauer, who also represents Rams Coach Mike Martz.

Jim Wyatt covers the Titans for The Tennessean. He can be reached at 259-8015 or jimwyatt111@hotmail.com

:confused: Our Lads has him as the starting MLB, the Titans site has him at OLB with a slash/Thorton and as MLB/Reynolds. Another site has him as the starting MLB. He's just been opened for bidding in one of my dynasty leagues, and I could reallt use another relatively young LB. Any homers hear anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking he battles it out with a rook pick for the MLB spot in TN. I was not aware he was a RFA ... on gotitants.com they talk as if the issue is cutting him, not letting him go as a RFA ...

Hey... sorry. I was Googling for news on Sirmon. In the middle of that, where I was reading he had asked for his release after the Titans signed Thorton, and he had a meeting with Reese..... I just missed the date on this one.... my bad.

I do know he did ask to be released, fearing a reduced role with the recent aquisition of Thornton..... but apparently met with Reese and they squared things away. Sirmon is the player rep on the Titans.... and is getting involved in the McNair lock out issue.

So, please ignore the old article..... I'm looking for an update on his status.

Titans declined a two year option on Sirmon's contract then signed David Thornton in free agency, presumably to take Sirmon's SLB gig. Sirmon got fussy and requested his release, then backed off when told he'd be in competition for the MLB job.

The Titans continue to look at other backers though, with Nick Griesen getting the most play I think. There are also loud rumblings that they'll look to get a young middle backer in the draft. Most speculation is that Sirmon will be a backup. But, for now, he's at the top of the depth chart at MLB.

Problem is, Bulluck has always held the most value in this defense. Mostly because he's a stud and the various MLB the Titans have had have been primarily two down guys. Thornton probably stays on the field over Sirmon in the nickel as well.

So with all the uncertainty and the unlikelihood that Sirmon has much value in the middle anyway, I'd look elsewhere.

Here are the most recent links I found.

Sirmon wants out

Sirmon to meet with Reese

Sirmon feels "better"

Titans declined a two year option on Sirmon's contract then signed David Thornton in free agency, presumably to take Sirmon's SLB gig. Sirmon got fussy and requested his release, then backed off when told he'd be in competition for the MLB job.

The Titans continue to look at other backers though, with Nick Griesen getting the most play I think. There are also loud rumblings that they'll look to get a young middle backer in the draft. Most speculation is that Sirmon will be a backup. But, for now, he's at the top of the depth chart at MLB.

Problem is, Bulluck has always held the most value in this defense. Mostly because he's a stud and the various MLB the Titans have had have been primarily two down guys. Thornton probably stays on the field over Sirmon in the nickel as well.

So with all the uncertainty and the unlikelihood that Sirmon has much value in the middle anyway, I'd look elsewhere.

Here are the most recent links I found.

Sirmon wants out

Sirmon to meet with Reese

Sirmon feels "better"
Thanks.... that's exactly what I needed to find out! :thumbup:

link:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=49103

Leinart would ‘love to be a Titan’

By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com

April 12, 2006

Southern Cal quarterback Matt Leinart had never been to Nashville before Tuesday. Now, he wouldn’t mind making it his home.

Leinart spent Tuesday with the Tennessee Titans at Baptist Sports Park, meeting and greeting and getting a first-hand look at Music City.

“Nashville is a great place. I had absolutely no expectations beforehand. Being from the West Coast, I thought Nashville was just about country music, but I talked to some people, and they said it’s so much more,” Leinart said. “It’s a great city. The people were awesome. I spent most of the day at the facility. But then we went down to Brentwood and saw some of the nicer homes out there, and it was great.”

After the visit, the Titans, who pick third overall, are high on Leinart’s wish list.

“Matt absolutely fell in love with the city of Nashville today. He didn’t know what to expect when he arrived, but he told me he absolutely loved it,” said agent Chuck Price, who is now representing Leinart after the recent dismissal of Leigh Steinberg.

Leinart politely declined comment on the matter, preferring to concentrate on his visit.

He got the chance to see some of the Titans organized team activities on Tuesday, met a number of players, scouts and team officials and capped off his visit with dinner with team executives Tuesday night.

Leinart said he already feels comfortable with Titans coach Jeff Fisher and his staff as well as general manager Floyd Reese.

“There was a comfort level there, not only with Norm Chow [his former offensive coordinator at USC] obviously, but with Coach Fisher and Mr. Reese,” Leinart said. “I just felt a good vibe. They have the same goals in mind, and I was able to talk to them about a number of things, even things outside of football. Even though I haven’t known them very long, I felt at ease doing that.”

Leinart has a private workout scheduled for the New York Jets, which will be his final audition before the draft.

“It’s really out of my hands now, but I would love to be a Titan, if that’s the way things work out,” he said.

Leinart’s chief competition, Vince Young, is scheduled to be at Baptist Sports Park today for his final audition and the same type of meet and greet before the Titans convene with their scouts for draft meetings next week.

Like Leinart, the Texas quarterback has also had a private workout session with the Titans officials, and today’s arrival in Nashville will give him an opportunity to see the city and try to make a final favorable impression on the Titans.

While most draft experts and amateur handicappers alike expect Tennessee to select a quarterback at No. 3, the team is keeping its options open in regards to bringing in the top prospects at a number of positions.

On Thursday, North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams will visit Nashville, according to agent Ben Dogra. Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk is scheduled to spent time with Titans officials on Friday.

According to agent Joel Segal, running back Reggie Bush of Southern Cal, is likely to visit Tennessee next week. Bush, however, is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick by the Houston Texans, unless they trade out of the pick.

As well, University of Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams is scheduled to visit Baptist Sports Park sometime this week.

Versatility

Linebacker Peter Sirmon did some work for the Titans both at inside and outside linebacker in Tuesday’s OTA.

The Titans’ plan apparently is to have as many players as possible well versed at both inside and outside linebacker positions, so as to maximize their depth this year.

New acquisition David Thornton did not participate in the team drills Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread