What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, Andrew Luck, RG III, ? (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Where does Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, RG III and ??? other QBs wind up with the top teams in need of a QB, Cleveland, Washington, and Miami.

Everything starts with Peyton so lets begin there.

Peyton Manning:

It all starts with Peyton Manning. Thirteen NFL seasons, twelve of them with double digit wins including the last nine in a row with a minimum of ten victories. His absence proved how valuable that Peyton Manning is the Indiapolis Colts. I understand the fantasy mindset where younger = better but no rookie is ever going to waltz in and have the success of Peyton Manning. No rookie can fill those shoes.

I don't see how the Colts can cold heartedly cut Peyton Manning and not get a single thing in return for him but they can't sign him and then trade him or they knee cap the transition to Luck as they would have to cut valuable veterans. The Indiapolis fanbase would revolt if they cut him or if they trade away Luck. The thing I can't gloss over is that the Colts brought in Peyton and had him on the sidelines and in the booth and even had him attend a practice. That isn't the actiolns of a franchise looking to distance itself from Peyton Manning.

I just can't see them breaking ties with Manning. It would be much easier for the fans to emotionally accept trading the rights to Luck if Manning is back healthy next year and he picks up where he left off along with a few extra number one draft selections which could turn that team around instantly. I don't see how Luck could turn things around that quickly.

Peyton Manning is a HOF first ballet. It took him years before he reached the Super Bowl the first time. How long would it take before the Colts could build the team to the point it reaches a SB with Luck? 32 NFL teams = a 1 in 32 chance an NFL fan would see two Super Bowls in their lifetime. The Colts have already reached two SBs with Peyton Manning. Their is no guarantees that they would ever reach a SB with Luck.

If I'm the Colt GM I know I can win a SB with Peyton and the bounty I would reap in trading away the rights to Andrew Luck. I also know the team would struggle with Luck. I know I could trade the rights to Luck and still get a shot at a blue-chip rook like RG III AND pick up two extra first-round picks AND turn things around and win immediately provided Peyton is healthy. That upside far outstrips cutting Peyton and getting nothing or getting a low first-round pick and swallowing the poison-pill contract bonus forcing many painful cuts on the verge of going into the tank.

If I am the Indiapolis GM I trade the rights to Luck and either get RG III and let him sit a few years or target next year's crop of rookie QBs with the extra selections from dishing Luck.

Best guess on where Peyton Manning winds up playing next year? = Indiapolis

--------------------------------------------------------------

Next Matt Flynn:

I think one of the keys to who gets Flynn is where his OC, Joe Philbin winds up going. Miami has interviewed Philbin and they need a QB. Flynn has worked in and knows the WC, the same offense run in Cleveland and they need a QB and they also need an OC but Philbin hasn’t yet pinged on their radar.

Considering that Jeff Fisher just signed with St. Louis and the Phins have already interviewed Philbin it seems they are angling to make a run for Matt Flynn.

Best guess on where Matt Flynn winds up playing next year? = Miami

Rookie QB Robert Griffin III:

I keep hearing how badly the Skins want RG III but I don't get that same vibe from the Browns. Cleveland holds the fourth pick and would have first dibs but their is a wild card in the mix for the Browns. Cleveland's GM Tom Heckertt moved down last year and picked up extra picks, I feel he and Browns President Mike Holgrem were looking at a QB who went back to school and won't be available till next year.

Mike Holgrem was a QB in college and he went to USC. Rumor is he really wanted USC QB Matt Barkley and was heartbroken when he didn't come out. The Browns haven't made any indication that they want RG III who isn't a good fit for a WC offense. Heckertt has said that he would trade down and seek a QB later or from some other path.

“If you can get the same guy, or the same level of guy (lower than No. 4), why wouldn’t you trade down?” Heckertt said.

I think if RG III drops to the Browns that they would trade down with Washington if the Skins haven't already moved up to take Griffin.

Best guess on where Robert Griffin III winds up playing next year? = Washington

Wild card QB Kevin Kolb:

This one has recently sprung up.

The Browns reportedly could have interest in quarterback Kevin Kolb should he become available this offseason, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Kolb, who was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles as their quarterback of the future before Mike Vick re-emerged as one of the premier players in the league, originally was scouted by current Browns head coach Pat Shurmer and general manager Tom Heckert.

Heckert and Shurmer reportedly handpicked Kolb for the Eagles because of his ability to run the West Coast offense, the same style that the Browns currently employ.

The 27-year-old is currently under contract with the Cardinals, however an injury filled year that allowed him to post just an 81.1 quarterback rating in nine games last season has left some to speculate that the club may attempt to move Kolb in order to cut their losses. In five NFL seasons Kolb has posted a 76.1 quarterback rating with 20 touchdowns and 22 interceptions.
I get the feeling that the Browns really wanted Matt Barkley and will wait a year to make a move to get him but in the meantime they may very well make a play for Kevin Kolb but I don't see them paying a big price to land him.Best guess on where Kevin Kolb winds up playing next year? = Cleveland

The guy I didn't try to match up with a team is Andrew Luck because if the Colts wind up trading him they will likely target an NFC team and I don't know who could make the most agreeable package for them. Not many are saying Peyton is likely to come back to the Colts or if they are they haven't thought out that would mean trading the rights to Luck away. I think Peyton will be back and healthy enough to play at a high level next year.

The guy I didn't try to match up with a team is Andrew Luck because if the Colts wind up trading him they will likely target an NFC team and I don't know who could make the most agreeable package for them. Not many are saying Peyton is likely to come back to the Colts or if they are they haven't thought out that would mean trading the rights to Luck away. I think Peyton will be back and healthy enough to play at a high level next year.
:lmao:

I have a hunch Mike Holmgren wants to pull Flynn away from Green Bay and Flynn ends up in Cleveland.

I have a hunch Mike Holmgren wants to pull Flynn away from Green Bay and Flynn ends up in Cleveland.
They definitely are going to take a long look at him but one issue that has not gone away with Colt McCoy is arm strength and even though reports are that Flynn's release point has improved which means he has improved his arm strength, many Cleveland fans are concerned about having a QB who can't spin-it late in the year with strong winds coming off Lake Erie trying to match blows with guys like Big Ben or Flacco, both who has more than adequate arm strength.
One free agent quarterback that has to be on Browns President Mike Holmgrens radar would be Matt Flynn, backup to Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers. Last Sunday Flynn had an outstanding performance against the Detroit Lions, 31 of 44 for 480 yards and tossing six touchdowns, one of those touchdowns being in the final two minutes to hand the Packers the victory.

Flynn, in four seasons has only started two games, last Sunday against the Lions and last season against New England, a loss in which he threw for three touchdowns and 251 yds. His performance against the Lions will raise many eyebrows, not to mention the cash involved in acquiring him--a risk indeed, however so is "selling the farm" for an unproven rookie.

Yes--Flynn was not drafted until the seventh round in 2008, partially due to his height of 6'2", however mostly because he sat behind what many considered a sure thing--Jamarcus Russell. It is worth noting that when Flynn become the LSU starting QB he led them to the BCS National Championship--against Ohio State.

Due to Holmgrens past history with Green Bay, along with his love of the West Coast Offense it stands to reason he would target Flynn--if the price is right. Flynn is a risk, however he has sat behind one of the best (Aaron Rodgers) and is familiar with their version of the WCO. Expect Holmgren and Co. to make a run for Flynn, leaving them the option to pick up offensive playmakers in the draft.

On a Side Note:

Flynn, in his second start threw for six touchdowns--no Browns QB has ever thrown for six touchdowns in one game.

Flynn threw for 480 yards against Detroit--Browns franchise record is 444 (Brian Sipe)

Bracie, Does your crystal ball show the location where Andrew Luck will play? Which team is giving up all the draft picks?

Hoping this topic would stay more on track as it is interesting.

Here is how I think it plays out as it never goes the easiest/best way....

Luck-Colts (1st pick)

Manning-Retire/Colts (for the year)

Flynn-Browns (trade a 2nd for him)

RGIII-Redskins (trade up to 3 to get him)

Tennehill-Dolphins (Taken in the 2nd round)

I believe that if Peyton goes elsewhere, it will be with the Redskins.

They don't hesitate to throw $ around.

Already some chatter out there about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that if Peyton goes elsewhere, it will be with the Redskins.They don't hesitate to throw $ around.Already some chatter out there about this.
How about this. ZERO % chance of Manning ever going to Washington.1. He doesn't play for $, he plays for wins and SB's.2. They are far from SB caliber.3. Chatter is homers wishing they had a QB for the 1st time in how many decades?

I believe that if Peyton goes elsewhere, it will be with the Redskins.They don't hesitate to throw $ around.Already some chatter out there about this.
How about this. ZERO % chance of Manning ever going to Washington.1. He doesn't play for $, he plays for wins and SB's.2. They are far from SB caliber.3. Chatter is homers wishing they had a QB for the 1st time in how many decades?
We shall see.

Only way Kolb's not starting in AZ is if Peyton Manning signs with AZ (which I think is unlikely)

Kolb is garbage, but there's been no sign here AZ won't give him a full offseason to show what he's capable of.

FWIW I agree with the above, should Peyton become available, SF will get him.

We shall see.
Yes we will.

Manning-SFRG3-WashingtonFlynn-MiamiLuck- IndiKolb- Arz
I'll second this one.
The reason I think everything begins with Peyton Manning is because if he is healthy enough to play I've already covered why I feel he will be back with the Colts but their is another reason why I feel they will not trade away Manning.The bonus.Peyton hasn't made any moves to limit the bonus contrary to some early false reports. He is planning on coming back and that bonus is an enormous obstical for any team who would consider trading for him. A team would be willing to pay the money OR ship a low-first round pick but unless they are really close to winning a Super Bowl it doesn't make sense and their is risk. I can't see any team willing to pay out that huge bonus AND also ship their first-round pick to the Colts. On the other side of the coin why pay Peyton that huge bonus then pick Luck and strap the team, an your brand new franchise QB with the mill stone of having to cut valuable veterans who could help ease him into the starting job?I think their will be many teams willing to trade-up for Luck and the Colts can choose the best package of, picks, players, and location of where they can ship him to ensure he will be far out of sight, possibly Seattle or Arizona.

They definitely are going to take a long look at him but one issue that has not gone away with Colt McCoy is arm strength and even though reports are that Flynn's release point has improved which means he has improved his arm strength, many Cleveland fans are concerned about having a QB who can't spin-it late in the year with strong winds coming off Lake Erie trying to match blows with guys like Big Ben or Flacco, both who has more than adequate arm strength.
One free agent quarterback that has to be on Browns President Mike Holmgrens radar would be Matt Flynn, backup to Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers. Last Sunday Flynn had an outstanding performance against the Detroit Lions, 31 of 44 for 480 yards and tossing six touchdowns, one of those touchdowns being in the final two minutes to hand the Packers the victory.

Flynn, in four seasons has only started two games, last Sunday against the Lions and last season against New England, a loss in which he threw for three touchdowns and 251 yds. His performance against the Lions will raise many eyebrows, not to mention the cash involved in acquiring him--a risk indeed, however so is "selling the farm" for an unproven rookie.

Yes--Flynn was not drafted until the seventh round in 2008, partially due to his height of 6'2", however mostly because he sat behind what many considered a sure thing--Jamarcus Russell. It is worth noting that when Flynn become the LSU starting QB he led them to the BCS National Championship--against Ohio State.

Due to Holmgrens past history with Green Bay, along with his love of the West Coast Offense it stands to reason he would target Flynn--if the price is right. Flynn is a risk, however he has sat behind one of the best (Aaron Rodgers) and is familiar with their version of the WCO. Expect Holmgren and Co. to make a run for Flynn, leaving them the option to pick up offensive playmakers in the draft.

On a Side Note:

Flynn, in his second start threw for six touchdowns--no Browns QB has ever thrown for six touchdowns in one game.

Flynn threw for 480 yards against Detroit--Browns franchise record is 444 (Brian Sipe)
The Packers run a west coast offense?

On a Side Note:

The Packers run a west coast offense?
Well if you trust the official source of the Green Bay Packers, packers.com then they run a version of the WCO.Packers.com Mike McCarthy

... A LEADER OF QUARTERBACKS

Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach in 1999, McCarthy spent his first two years as head coach renewing his relationship with Favre, and the reunion helped rejuvenate the future Hall of Famer’s play.

Charged with learning McCarthy’s version of the West Coast offense ...
Add that the Miami press reports that the Green Bay OC Joe Philbin runs a WCO.GB OC Joe Philbin

... Philbin, 50, has been a coach with the Packers since 2003, first as an offensive line and tight ends coach and then as offensive coordinator since 2007, although head coach Mike McCarthy is the main offensive playcaller.

And if Philbin were to bring his West Coast offense to Miami, he could try to persuade the Dolphins to pursue free agent quarterback Matt Flynn of Green Bay.

The "Chatter" was from a local beat reporter or tweeted out he heard The Redskins were going to go after Manning. Since then he retweeted that it was pure speculation.If Manning was cut I would be surprised if he signed with Washington, as far as trade goes The Redskins would have to pay about the same for Manning as they would to trade up for Luck/Griffin.

At this point I'm not sure that there is much criteria to be called a West Coast offense other than being pass heavy.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the Packers offense under McCarthy/Philbin looks nothing like what Holmgren typically ran in GB or Seattle. At this point it just seems like certain teams are called "West Coast" regardless of what they do on the field. The Packers run a large percentage of their plays out of the shotgun with 3 or more WRs with TEs running seam routes and WRs typically running deep hooks/back shoulder routes. The number of slants, which the Packers were famous for under old regimes, have taken a much more reduced role in the offense.

I'm not saying Flynn wouldn't be a good target for Cleveland but the offensive style of the 2011 Packers is much different than a Holmgren WCO.

At this point I'm not sure that there is much criteria to be called a West Coast offense other than being pass heavy.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the Packers offense under McCarthy/Philbin looks nothing like what Holmgren typically ran in GB or Seattle. At this point it just seems like certain teams are called "West Coast" regardless of what they do on the field. The Packers run a large percentage of their plays out of the shotgun with 3 or more WRs with TEs running seam routes and WRs typically running deep hooks/back shoulder routes. The number of slants, which the Packers were famous for under old regimes, have taken a much more reduced role in the offense.

I'm not saying Flynn wouldn't be a good target for Cleveland but the offensive style of the 2011 Packers is much different than a Holmgren WCO.
I'm sorry I didn't see your reply or I would have responded sooner.When Pat Shurmur without any previous head coach experience and only being an OC for a limited time, the selling point to the Cleveland fans was that he ran a 'pure version' of the WCO, one similiar to the one that Holmgren ran with Walsh at SF. The Browns finished 30th in the league coring 218 points or 13.6 pts per game.

The biggest criticism of the offense was predictability because of the manner in which Shurmur ran his 'pure' WCO. Teams who are considered to run WCO typically do run a modified version of the WCO and the Pack are listed along with other teams to run modified versions of the WCO.

So you may very well be correct that the Pack's offense looks noting like it did back when Holmgren and Farve were running it but from all sources, including packers.com right in Mike McCarthy's bio they volunteer that the 2012 Green Bay Packers are running a 'version' of the WCO and I've seen this information from many other media sources as well.

EDIT: Add that I think whoever gets Joe Philbin would have a huge leg-up on signing Flynn.

PS and go for it spelling police I see at least two errors in the above post :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread