What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PFT Mock (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Sorry if this is honda, but I didn't see it posted. PFT has their mock up. There's some pretty large surprises.

LINK

Here's part of it:

1. Houston Texans: Reggie Bush, RB, USC (Joel Segal).

The Texans will pay lip service to the locals by pretending to agonize over the question of whether to pick Bush or Texas product Vince Young. Barring a trade down, it's Bush.

2. Baltimore Ravens (projected trade from Saints): Vince Young, QB, Texas (Major Adams).

The Saints could opt to stay put and draft a quarterback, but we have a weird feeling that the Ravens will fall in love with Young -- and could find a way to jump from No. 13 to snag him. For the Saints, who we hear covet a certain high-end defensive player, the drop by eleven spots will prevent them from getting him. However, the opportunity to slide back by eleven spots, and to avoid the big cash outlay associated with a top five pick, will be very, very tempting to the team's skinflint front office.

If the Saints stay put, don't be surprised if they take Matt Leinart, even with Drew Brees on the roster. Remember -- Brees' contract is essentially a one-year, $10 million deal.

3. Tennessee Titans: Matt Leinart, QB, USC (Leigh Steinberg, Charles Price).

The Titans love Young, and will take him if he's still on the board. They'll settle for the 2005 Heisman winner, who'll get a rude awakening when he doesn't have the same horses surrounding him as he did when he was a Trojan.

4. New York Jets: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia (Donald Yee, Stephen Dubin).

The fact that the Jets missed out on Jon Runyan has fueled speculation that Tangini will use D'Pick on D'Brick.

5. Green Bay Packers: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State (Mike McCartney).

This kid was born to be a Packer.

6. San Francisco 49ers: Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State (Ben Dogra).

Williams would go higher in a year without such a top-heavy selection of quality players.

7. Oakland Raiders: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland (Ethan Lock, Zeke Sandhu).

Better than Kellen Winslow, who went in the six hole two years ago. As an added plus, Davis doesn't own a motorcycle.

8. Buffalo Bills: Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina (Jason Chayut).

With or without Nate Clements, the Bills need an upgrade.

9. Detroit Lions: Michael Huff, S, Texas (Ben Dogra).

If Huff is there, Lions take him. Without a doubt.

10. Arizona Cardinals: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt (Bus Cook).

Kurt Warner is the quarterback of present; this team desperately needs a quarterback of the future.

11. St. Louis Rams: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon (Mike McCartney).

Adding La'Roi Glover isn't nearly enough to improve an interior defensive line that has been a dee-saster in St. Louis.

12. Cleveland Browns: LenDale White, RB, USC (Eugene Parker).

Even though Reuben Droughns is under contract for the next few years, they won't be able to pass on White, whose between-the-tackles toughness fits perfectly with the Dawg Pound mentality.

13. New Orleans Saints (projected trade from Ravens): Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State (Gary Wichard).

The last time this team was legit, it had a defensive line that was worth a crap.

14. Philadelphia Eagles: Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State (Todd France).

Best player available.

15. Denver Broncos (from Atlanta): DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis (Jimmy Sexton).

Coach Kevlar needs more than Ron Dayne and Tatum Bell.
I can't imagine the Bills taking Jonathan Joseph. With Clements and McGee at CB it's not really a huge need this season. Maybe next season if the Bills don't tag Clements again, but they have other needs this year that are pressing needs as well. If the Bills take a CB (especially one that I think would be a HUGE reach there) at 8 when both Huff and Ngata are on the board I'll probably put a brick through the tv.

If you are the bills you are building for the future primarily as they know they will not be legit contendors this year. They have an outside shot at making the playoffs (a dream) so they need to draft for future years and not worry about this year.

If the Ravens jump up and pass on Leinart i'd be surprised. I'd think theyd want a prototypical QB for that kind of an investment, VY is a risky proposition on a team set up to pound the football and a precision passing game.

If you are the bills you are building for the future primarily as they know they will not be legit contendors this year. They have an outside shot at making the playoffs (a dream) so they need to draft for future years and not worry about this year.
I agree. That still doesn't explain why they would reach for a guy at a position where they have zero need right now. It'd be one thing if he were projected to be a tremendous impact guy and clearly the best player available, but IMO there isn't a single CB in the draft that's worthy of a first round pick. Huff is a guy that most people seem to believe will be a very good NFL safety. The Bills really could use a safety so it would be strange to pass up an impact guy like Huff. The same thing would apply to Ngata. He's a guy that most experts seem to believe will be a good DT in the NFL. The DT position is one that the Bills could really use some help at. Why pass up a guy that most people see as a very good DT for a CB that the Bills don't really need and would be REALLY reaching to take?
Agreed...not really seeing Joseph as the first DB off the board either. Predicting trades is usually not a good idea. Really like the fact PFT put the players people/representation in parenthesis...very nice. If I remember correctly PFT uses the player's rep and how well the rep works with certain teams to determine a high percentage of their draft predictions.
I agree completely. I think it just makes things more complicated to predict trades, but if they have some inside info more power to them. It's not like anyone has ever predicted an exact first round anyway. But it does seem to unnecessarily complicate things. The addition of player reps is very nice though. I think that it probably is something to factor in that most prognosticators don't even give a second thought to.

The guys in parantheses are the player's agents/reps.

The main thing I like about this mock is the prediction of a trade-up into the top-5 for a team that wants a QB. Lots of people have been predicting VY or Cutler (or both!) sliding down and out of the top-10. I find that very hard to believe. I beleive that VY and Leinert will both be taken in the top-5. I can see it go a few ways:

1. NO takes Leinart, TEN takes VY (yes, I agree with PFT that NO could well take Leinart)

2. Ravens/Raiders trade with NO to take VY/Leinert, TEN takes whomever is left over.

3. TEN takes Leinert/Young, NYJ takes the leftover

4. NYJ trades up to #2 and takes Leinert, TEN takes VY.

5. NO takes Leinert, TEN takes Young, NYJ takes Cutler

Obviously, other permutations include teams trading up to #3 or #4 instead of #2. I think that enough teams believe that at least two of the three QBs are franchise QBs (and some may like all three) that there's no way two don't go in the top 5 - even if it takes a blockbuster trade by some team to snag the guy they want. Oakland and Baltimore seem the likeliest guys to move up, but we will see.

Interesting comment on Vernon Davis - but if memory serves me well - Kellen Winslow II did not own a motorcycle when he was drafted either...

Why is it that no one has TEN trading down in any of these mocks?

Interesting comment on Vernon Davis - but if memory serves me well - Kellen Winslow II did not own a motorcycle when he was drafted either...

Why would they trade down? They clearly need a QB of the future (or possbily the present, if McNair is cut), and they are perfectly positioned to land one, b/c at worst they will still get to make a choice. If they were in slot 4, and had a choice of swallowing whichever QB was left or trading down, there might be more talk of them moving down.

Why would they trade down? They clearly need a QB of the future (or possbily the present, if McNair is cut), and they are perfectly positioned to land one, b/c at worst they will still get to make a choice. If they were in slot 4, and had a choice of swallowing whichever QB was left or trading down, there might be more talk of them moving down.
They might need a QB of the future (which they can pick lower than 3) but they have so many other needs to cover with their high picks - LT, MLB, CB. Also they do not have a 3rd round pick.I am not sold on the love affair of either VY, Leinart or Cutler that Reese is projecting - and it is afterall him that is in charge of using the picks.

Why would they cut McNair? They have room to sign their rookies - particularly if they do not pick at #3. Only if he is cut after June 1st is there any cap relief

They might need a QB of the future (which they can pick lower than 3) but they have so many other needs to cover with their high picks - LT, MLB, CB. Also they do not have a 3rd round pick.I am not sold on the love affair of either VY, Leinart or Cutler that Reese is projecting - and it is afterall him that is in charge of using the picks.

Why would they cut McNair? They have room to sign their rookies - particularly if they do not pick at #3. Only if he is cut after June 1st is there any cap relief
Yes, they have other needs - most every team drafting in the top-5 has multiple needs. But QB is the most important position in football, and this is a good year for QBs, so if you're in position to take one, you go for it. Tennessee could trade down, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying that it's unlikely, so few mock drafts have them going that way.You'll notice that the most common teams to trade down in these mocks are Houston and NO - because those are the two teams that don't need a QB.

Users who are viewing this thread