What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PFT Rumor: Niners mulling trade for Rivers (1 Viewer)

SammyJankis

Footballguy
From Pro Football Talk's Daily Rumor Mill:

CHARGERS-NINERS TALKING TRADE?

We've heard rumblings from the Bay Area that the San Francisco 49ers could be trying to pry away from the Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, in exchange for the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft.

We've yet to substantiate this one via any sources with actual knowledge of the discussions, but the rumor is "out there" -- and some might think that it really is "out there."

The Chargers, if interested in making the move, most likely would select receiver Braylon Edwards or receiver Mike Williams with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, since the team has no need for a top-shelf quarterback or an elite running back.

The biggest flaw in this one, as we see it, is that the "option" portion of Rivers' 2004 signing bonus was due on March 10, which means that the cap hit resulting from a trade would be much larger than it would have been if the trade had occurred before March 10.

If the 49ers' are indeed interested in making such a move, it's hardly a glowing endorsement for Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith, the top two quarterback prospects this year -- and it could mean that, if the 49ers use the pick, they'll go in a different direction. Likewise, the whole thing might be intended to entice a team in the top ten who wants Rodgers or Smith to trade up with the 49ers -- without the Niners having to initiate the discussions with any of those teams.

The Chargers, on the other hand, might be willing to take the cap hit if they can make the team a lot better. The rumored trade would give the Chargers three first-round picks in the upcoming draft -- not bad for a team that was 12-4 last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't make sense. Either of the two QBs they could get at #1 grade out as well or better than Rivers, and both had sensational private workouts. I don't really see how this benefits San Francisco. San Diego would take a massive cap hit for trading Rivers and would end up with a player they could likely get by trading their other first round choices and keeping Rivers.

If true, could the Chargers really afford this? With the accelerated cap hit from Rivers and three first round bonuses including the #1 overall, I'm not so sure.

That rag has very little usable information. I think they make stuff up.
Everyone always says that, but they've broken a lot of stories. A month ago they reported that Moss was close to being traded and everyone enjoyed a good laugh.... until the trade actually went down a couple of days later.

A straight #1 for Rivers make no sense.But, #1 for SD's 2nd first round pick and Rivers makes a lot of sense for San Fran.Does it make sense for San Diego? Figure, the 1.01 would be MW or Edwards, which would address a huge need, SD is unlikely to get a comparable WR otherwise.But the cap hit may make it impossible, and how likely is the team to deal Rivers anyway?

I don't see this as helping the 49ers if it's a straight up deal. I also don't see this as helping the Chargers that much, unless they really covet one of those wideouts. But what I really don't get is how this would be useful as a smokescreen for San Francisco, when a team that covets one of the QB would be able to trade for the usually-less-expensive #2 pick to get a QB instead, since the Chargers are certain not to take on.

That would be too funny if the Chargers pulled off this trade then drafted R.Brown to back up LT2 :lol:
Yeah, maybe Brown would push LT to have a career year. :shock: I know this is WAY out there, but if SD got a RB in the draft, would LT be used as a WR in a lot of sets, but RB in others, maybe even a 50-50 split?

Oh, wait, they can do that with Turner already.

That rag has very little usable information.  I think they make stuff up.
Everyone always says that, but they've broken a lot of stories. A month ago they reported that Moss was close to being traded and everyone enjoyed a good laugh.... until the trade actually went down a couple of days later.
Hey Sammy,I don't generally like to cast aspersions on other sites, but for every Moss rumor that turns out accurately, PFT throws out about 20 things which border on pure fabrication.

My $0.02

Woodrow

It doesn't make sense. Either of the two QBs they could get at #1 grade out as well or better than Rivers, and both had sensational private workouts. I don't really see how this benefits San Francisco. San Diego would take a massive cap hit for trading Rivers and would end up with a player they could likely get by trading their other first round choices and keeping Rivers.
San Francisco would get a franchise quarterback, and wouldn't have to worry about the signing bonus counting against the cap. Drafting a quarterback early is an expensive proposition and one of the worst things about it is that the first year is a wash. Assuming you had two QBs graded equally and could acquire one his second pro season or one in his rookie season, the second year QB would be much more palatable.In addition, I'm not so sure that Rivers grades out below Smith and Rogers. I would guess its generally a matter of taste, but I think if all were compared, Rivers would grade out slightly on top.

The "Should the Chargers eventually trade Rivers or Brees?" question has been debated ad nauseum, but the consensus is that San Diego won't be able to afford both forever and one will eventually be traded. So yeah, they'd take a cap hit to trade Rivers, but if they traded Brees, they'd be shipping away a pro-bowler and coming back from a 12-4 season with an unproven signal caller. If they keep both, they're paying a crazy amount of money to not one, but two quarterbacks. They might be able to slide by this year, but again, they can't keep both forever. Clearly, there are downsides to trading either, but it will eventually have to be done.

That rag has very little usable information. I think they make stuff up.
Hey Sammy,I don't generally like to cast aspersions on other sites, but for every Moss rumor that turns out accurately, PFT throws out about 20 things which border on pure fabrication.

My $0.02

Woodrow
PFT has been called "the National Enquirer of football news" and that's probably an accurate title. They certainlly don't make anything up, but they print every rumor they hear. Because of this, they break a lot of news early, but certainlly a good portion of their stuff comes in the "take this with a grain of salt" category. But in general, I think they're a lot more accurate than people give them credit for.

My $0.02

Woodrow
PFT has been called "the National Enquirer of football news" and that's probably an accurate title. They certainlly don't make anything up, but they print every rumor they hear. Because of this, they break a lot of news early, but certainlly a good portion of their stuff comes in the "take this with a grain of salt" category. But in general, I think they're a lot more accurate than people give them credit for.
We'll have to agree to disagree there. You don't (in my book) get credit for throwing anything and everything that comes across the rumor mill out there and then get to cherry pick the few instances when the rumor turns into reality. That's irresponsible journalism any way you slice it.My $0.02 (again)

They didn't just break that Moss was on the verge of being traded, but after the Raider talks seemed to fall apart, they broke that it was the Raiders that were the mystery team that was close.I don't buy everything they say as gospel, but they've hit on so many breaking stories, that I can't discount them and what they say as a possibility. They talk to front office guys and that can't be simply thrown out the window like some here do ... anyone that does is simply a Grade-A fool.

As to Rivers/Niners, could be one of a thousand possibilities from truth, to another team trying to sabatoge talks, to another team trying to blow smoke for their interest in Rivers.

My $0.02

Woodrow
I wouldn't say for every one, there's 20.I think PFT is just a cog in the wheel of NFL front office guys using the media for mis-information. I think the things they report are exactly what they hear from the front office guys they talk to, but a chunk of it is intentional mis-information to throw off the other NFL guys that read the site.

They didn't just break that Moss was on the verge of being traded, but after the Raider talks seemed to fall apart, they broke that it was the Raiders that were the mystery team that was close.I don't buy everything they say as gospel, but they've hit on so many breaking stories, that I can't discount them and what they say as a possibility. They talk to front office guys and that can't be simply thrown out the window like some here do ... anyone that does is simply a Grade-A fool.

As to Rivers/Niners, could be one of a thousand possibilities from truth, to another team trying to sabatoge talks, to another team trying to blow smoke for their interest in Rivers.
Really? That's odd...because PFT themselves claim otherwise.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/about.htm

Our Daily Rumor Mill has become a fixture for most (if not all) NFL front offices.  Why?  Because we bring you some of the best back-room rumors available anywhere, we beat the "big boys" in the media to the punch every so often on a big story, and we pour over the nationwide newspapers every day (or nearly every day), separating the cream from the crap and summarizing it in a quick, easy-to-read format.

We're the first to admit that we don't always adhere to pure journalistic standards.  We don't seek reactions from players, coaches, and/or agents before posting controversial stories.  However, we'll give anyone who objects to one of our stories an opportunity to respond.  And we won't run anything that we know or have reason to know is untrue.

You're giving them credit for saying the Raiders were involved with trade talks for Moss after it came out via other sources that trade talks for Moss with the Raiders had fallen apart??????????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Our Daily Rumor Mill has become a fixture for most (if not all) NFL front offices.  Why?  Because we bring you some of the best back-room rumors available anywhere, we beat the "big boys" in the media to the punch every so often on a big story, and we pour over the nationwide newspapers every day (or nearly every day), separating the cream from the crap and summarizing it in a quick, easy-to-read format.

We're the first to admit that we don't always adhere to pure journalistic standards.  We don't seek reactions from players, coaches, and/or agents before posting controversial stories.  However, we'll give anyone who objects to one of our stories an opportunity to respond.  And we won't run anything that we know or have reason to know is untrue.
Where does it say that they don't talk to NFL front office guys??? What you quoted said they don't seek a REACTION from anyone before posting a story. That's entirely different.Look thru the Rumor Mill and you'll see at least a hundred quotes from unnamed front office guys.

Where does it say that they don't talk to NFL front office guys??? What you quoted said they don't seek a REACTION from anyone before posting a story. That's entirely different.Look thru the Rumor Mill and you'll see at least a hundred quotes from unnamed front office guys.
Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. Sifting through their Rumor Mill is kind of like being airlifted into the world's largest haystack and being asked to find the one little grain of gold that's hidden amongst the chaos.

My $0.02

Woodrow
We'll have to agree to disagree there. You don't (in my book) get credit for throwing anything and everything that comes across the rumor mill out there and then get to cherry pick the few instances when the rumor turns into reality. That's irresponsible journalism any way you slice it.My $0.02 (again)
It's Fantasy Football not World Events. I think most people enjoy reading the possibilities. I also agree that most of their stories come up short of being true facts. That being said, it seems that more and more hobbiest are checking the site for these stories.

I my only compliant is that anyone who is on a fantasy football board this time of the year knows that you have to take anything that profootballtalk.com says with a "grain of salt" or "face value" or fill in your own trite saying. There is no need to slam those guys every single time that someone mentions them. The even funny thing is that PFT knows half of what they put out there is pure conjecture with no substance behind it. The worse thing that could happen to that site is that it becomes journalistic and accurate.

My $0.02

Woodrow
It's Fantasy Football not World Events. I think most people enjoy reading the possibilities. I also agree that most of their stories come up short of being true facts. That being said, it seems that more and more hobbiest are checking the site for these stories.
No doubt. And the National Enquirer, Star and the other tabloids sell millions of copies too. Being unreliable and inaccurate isn't a crime, PFT make fun of themselves for it, but I'll stick to the litany of more credible sources for football information. I honestly can't remember a football story that has proven true which hasn't found it's way to this board in an expeditious manner, can you?

You're giving them credit for saying the Raiders were involved with trade talks for Moss after it came out via other sources that trade talks for Moss with the Raiders had fallen apart???????????

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I challenge you to find reports that say the same thing BEFORE the times of these:
POSTED 12:06 p.m. EST, UPDATED 10:35 p.m. EST, February 21, 2005

MOSS TRADE COMING SOON?

Okay, we know that prospective Vikings owner Reggie Fowler has said publicly that he doesn't plan to trade receiver Randy Moss.

But we're now hearing talk that a deal is essentially done to send Moss out of Minnesota after seven seasons with the Vikings. A deal, if it happens, could occur this week.

We know the team and the terms, but our source on this one has yet to give us the green light to divulge those details.

Stay tuned for more. We think.
POSTED 2:46 p.m. EST, February 22, 2005

PORTER SIGNING SINKS MOSS DEAL

With Raiders receiver Jerry Porter signing a new contract to stay with the team that drafted him out of West Virginia in 2000, the Raiders won't be swinging a trade with the Vikings for receiver Randy Moss.

And that's the deal that was in place a day ago, but on which we couldn't elaborate at the time, at the request of the source.

Per the source, the Raiders were poised to send a first-round pick, a seventh-round pick, and linebacker Napoleon Harris to the Vikings in exchange for Moss.

We're not saying that Moss won't be traded. On Monday night, the NFL Network's Adam Schefter apparently reported that two undisclosed teams were talking to the Vikings. But the only one we knew of was the Raiders, and they're now officially out of the Moss market.

Other possible suitors for Moss' services include the Ravens, with rumors of a possible trade including linebacker Terrell Suggs. However, Suggs' agent, Gary Wichard, told us on Tuesday afternoon that he's heard "not a word" about any such deal going down.

Moss reportedly has said the two teams he'd like to be traded to are the Falcons and the Ravens. The Falcons likely aren't interested; the Ravens might be.

And it's impossible to rule out the Cardinals, who are coached by Dennis Green. Green drafted Moss in 1998, after he plummeted through the first twenty picks of round one. The only problem is that adding Moss would give the Cardinals a glut of receiver -- and that the Vikes might not be inclined to hand Moss over to Green under any circumstances.
POSTED 10:33 p.m. EST, February 22, 2005

MOSS TO RAIDERS STILL A POSSIBILITY?

Late word from the West as of Tuesday night is that, even though the Oakland Raiders managed to cut a long-term deal with receiver Jerry Porter before he hit the free-agent market, the Raiders remain in hot pursuit of Vikings receiver Randy Moss.

Earlier in the day, we revealed that the Raiders were the secret team talking seriously with the Vikings about a trade for Moss. Under the deal, the Vikings would have gotten the Raiders first-round pick, seventh-round pick, and linebacker Napoleon Harris.

We learned on Monday afternoon that the deal hinged on the Raiders not re-signing Porter, and our source gave us the go-ahead to roll with the story after Porter inked his new contract.

We're now hearing that, even though the Raiders have invested relatively big money in Porter, owner Al Davis still wants Moss. Based on rumblings we've picked up from an industry source, the problem (for now) apparently is that Moss is balking at any restructuring of his deal, including even a so-called "simple" restructuring, which would convert the bulk of his 2005 salary into a guaranteed payment, allowing the short-term cap hit to be reduced by spreading most of his pay for the coming season over the life of the contract.

While some reasonably have concluded that Moss' refusal to play ball with the Raiders is enough to put the deal to rest, Davis is still trying to get the deal done, we're told, even if it means absorbing all of Moss' 2005 salary in the coming cap year.

"Davis will cut three other guys," said a league source, "if he wants [Moss] bad enough."

Moss apparently balked at the restructuring because he prefers a trade to Atlanta or Baltimore. Published reports have ruled out the Falcons, and we're hearing louder and louder that the Ravens jsut aren't interested.

So stay tuned. We've got a weird feeling that, the longer this story hangs around, the greater the chance that the Redskins will jump into the fray.
I don't remember seeing this ANYWHERE else, before PFT.

You're giving them credit for saying the Raiders were involved with trade talks for Moss after it came out via other sources that trade talks for Moss with the Raiders had fallen apart???????????

:confused:   :confused:   :confused:
I challenge you to find reports that say the same thing BEFORE the times of these:
POSTED 12:06 p.m. EST, UPDATED 10:35 p.m. EST, February 21, 2005

MOSS TRADE COMING SOON?

Okay, we know that prospective Vikings owner Reggie Fowler has said publicly that he doesn't plan to trade receiver Randy Moss.

But we're now hearing talk that a deal is essentially done to send Moss out of Minnesota after seven seasons with the Vikings.  A deal, if it happens, could occur this week.

We know the team and the terms, but our source on this one has yet to give us the green light to divulge those details.

Stay tuned for more.  We think.
POSTED 2:46 p.m. EST, February 22, 2005

PORTER SIGNING SINKS MOSS DEAL

With Raiders receiver Jerry Porter signing a new contract to stay with the team that drafted him out of West Virginia in 2000, the Raiders won't be swinging a trade with the Vikings for receiver Randy Moss.

And that's the deal that was in place a day ago, but on which we couldn't elaborate at the time, at the request of the source.

Per the source, the Raiders were poised to send a first-round pick, a seventh-round pick, and linebacker Napoleon Harris to the Vikings in exchange for Moss.

We're not saying that Moss won't be traded.  On Monday night, the NFL Network's Adam Schefter apparently reported that two undisclosed teams were talking to the Vikings.  But the only one we knew of was the Raiders, and they're now officially out of the Moss market.

Other possible suitors for Moss' services include the Ravens, with rumors of a possible trade including linebacker Terrell Suggs.  However, Suggs' agent, Gary Wichard, told us on Tuesday afternoon that he's heard "not a word" about any such deal going down.

Moss reportedly has said the two teams he'd like to be traded to are the Falcons and the Ravens.  The Falcons likely aren't interested; the Ravens might be.

And it's impossible to rule out the Cardinals, who are coached by Dennis Green.  Green drafted Moss in 1998, after he plummeted through the first twenty picks of round one.  The only problem is that adding Moss would give the Cardinals a glut of receiver -- and that the Vikes might not be inclined to hand Moss over to Green under any circumstances.
POSTED 10:33 p.m. EST, February 22, 2005

MOSS TO RAIDERS STILL A POSSIBILITY?

Late word from the West as of Tuesday night is that, even though the Oakland Raiders managed to cut a long-term deal with receiver Jerry Porter before he hit the free-agent market, the Raiders remain in hot pursuit of Vikings receiver Randy Moss.

Earlier in the day, we revealed that the Raiders were the secret team talking seriously with the Vikings about a trade for Moss.  Under the deal, the Vikings would have gotten the Raiders first-round pick, seventh-round pick, and linebacker Napoleon Harris.

We learned on Monday afternoon that the deal hinged on the Raiders not re-signing Porter, and our source gave us the go-ahead to roll with the story after Porter inked his new contract.

We're now hearing that, even though the Raiders have invested relatively big money in Porter, owner Al Davis still wants Moss.  Based on rumblings we've picked up from an industry source, the problem (for now) apparently is that Moss is balking at any restructuring of his deal, including even a so-called "simple" restructuring, which would convert the bulk of his 2005 salary into a guaranteed payment, allowing the short-term cap hit to be reduced by spreading most of his pay for the coming season over the life of the contract.

While some reasonably have concluded that Moss' refusal to play ball with the Raiders is enough to put the deal to rest, Davis is still trying to get the deal done, we're told, even if it means absorbing all of Moss' 2005 salary in the coming cap year.

"Davis will cut three other guys," said a league source, "if he wants [Moss] bad enough."

Moss apparently balked at the restructuring because he prefers a trade to Atlanta or Baltimore.  Published reports have ruled out the Falcons, and we're hearing louder and louder that the Ravens jsut aren't interested.

So stay tuned.  We've got a weird feeling that, the longer this story hangs around, the greater the chance that the Redskins will jump into the fray.
I don't remember seeing this ANYWHERE else, before PFT.
Let's say you're right...how did that benefit you? By some freak chance that your dynasty/keeper league deadline was that very day and this potentially opened up the possibility of trading away Culpepper or acquiring Collins, would you have honestly had the confidence to make the move based SOLELY on what PFT was reporting? Or would you have waited to hear it validated by reputable news sites before making a potentially league-altering transaction?By the way, PFT also reported that Brian Urlacher could be traded to the Patriots; how many IDP leagues did you think benefitted from that hot info?

My $0.02

Woodrow
No doubt. And the National Enquirer, Star and the other tabloids sell millions of copies too. Being unreliable and inaccurate isn't a crime, PFT make fun of themselves for it, but I'll stick to the litany of more credible sources for football information. I honestly can't remember a football story that has proven true which hasn't found it's way to this board in an expeditious manner, can you?
So what is your point? It is fun reading? Most of it is unfactual. That doesn't seem to be keeping people from reading it. If they break a true story before everyone else, kudos to them. It's always nice to be the first to break a story.

They call it the rumor mill for a reason. They aren't claiming this stuff is gospel truth, they are saying that is something we heard. Big F'n deal.You don't want to believe it? Don't believe it. You don't want to discuss it? Don't discuss it. But why the need to piss in their cornflakes every time you see their name? Doesn't seem all that productive to me.Most of the time, it's interesting, though-provoking stuff, worthy of discussion on a DISCUSSION BOARD. And SOMETIMES, the crap actually turns out to be legit. If all we ever talked about were facts, it would be a MUCH smaller board and not nearly as interesting.Is it me, or do people seem to get off on riding a high horse more often than they used to around here?

My $0.02

Woodrow
So what is your point? It is fun reading? Most of it is unfactual. That doesn't seem to be keeping people from reading it. If they break a true story before everyone else, kudos to them. It's always nice to be the first to break a story.
My point is, PFT's reputation for being unreliable is well founded and thus, no one should be surprised or feel compelled to defend their virtues whenever a rumor, which PFT itself admits is unsubstantiated, is taken with a HUGE grain of salt around here or anywhere else.As long as you look at what they say as nothing more than unlikely but mildly entertaining food for thought, I think PFT serves a purpose.

I actually think PFT does a pretty good job. They were indeed all over the Randy Moss trade before everyone else. They even announced the terms, which were not released until a week later.

Also, if you read the articles closely, PFT is pretty good about stating which stories are legit and which ones have little factual basis. As Colin pointed out, the article actually says:

We've yet to substantiate this one via any sources with actual knowledge of the discussions, but the rumor is "out there" -- and some might think that it really is "out there."

PFT was pretty clear that their Moss info was legit and it turned out it was.

Let's say you're right...how did that benefit you? By some freak chance that your dynasty/keeper league deadline was that very day and this potentially opened up the possibility of trading away Culpepper or acquiring Collins, would you have honestly had the confidence to make the move based SOLELY on what PFT was reporting? Or would you have waited to hear it validated by reputable news sites before making a potentially league-altering transaction?

By the way, PFT also reported that Brian Urlacher could be traded to the Patriots; how many IDP leagues did you think benefitted from that hot info?
I've retired from fantasy football .... so you're coming at an angle that is meaningless to me.As to Urlacher/Pats ... do you actually read? or are you so hard on to prove me wrong or make your point you skim thru everything???? I like you Jason, but this is out of character for you.

URLACHER-TO-PATS RUMOR BOGUS

We received multiple e-mails on Tuesday night from readers who say that Fox Sports New England is reporting that the Chicago Bears could be close to trading linebacker Brian Urlacher to the Patriots, in exchange for the Pats' first-round pick (32nd overall) in next month's draft.

We ran this one by a league source in position to know whether such discussions were occurring, and the source said it's "[t]he stupidest thing I ever heard."
PFT didn't say Urlacher could be traded to the Pats .... "Fox Sports New England is reporting that the Chicago Bears could be close to trading linebacker Brian Urlacher to the Patriots." PFT simply ran it by an insider.Kinda funny that a 'legit' news source is reporting this, anyone wanna pile on FSN and their bogus journalistic practices???? (if this turns out to be false)

It doesn't make sense. Either of the two QBs they could get at #1 grade out as well or better than Rivers, and both had sensational private workouts. I don't really see how this benefits San Francisco.
Actually, it makes a great deal of sense for SF if they have Rivers grading out similar to the two rookies. They'd be getting a guy who is already under contract and has already had his signing bonus paid by another team, meaning they would be getting him at a tremendously discounted price. In addition, there is the added benefit that he has already spent one year in an NFL system.

Let's say you're right...how did that benefit you? By some freak chance that your dynasty/keeper league deadline was that very day and this potentially opened up the possibility of trading away Culpepper or acquiring Collins, would you have honestly had the confidence to make the move based SOLELY on what PFT was reporting? Or would you have waited to hear it validated by reputable news sites before making a potentially league-altering transaction?

By the way, PFT also reported that Brian Urlacher could be traded to the Patriots; how many IDP leagues did you think benefitted from that hot info?
I've retired from fantasy football .... so you're coming at an angle that is meaningless to me.As to Urlacher/Pats ... do you actually read? or are you so hard on to prove me wrong or make your point you skim thru everything???? I like you Jason, but this is out of character for you.

URLACHER-TO-PATS RUMOR BOGUS

We received multiple e-mails on Tuesday night from readers who say that Fox Sports New England is reporting that the Chicago Bears could be close to trading linebacker Brian Urlacher to the Patriots, in exchange for the Pats' first-round pick (32nd overall) in next month's draft.

We ran this one by a league source in position to know whether such discussions were occurring, and the source said it's "[t]he stupidest thing I ever heard."
PFT didn't say Urlacher could be traded to the Pats .... "Fox Sports New England is reporting that the Chicago Bears could be close to trading linebacker Brian Urlacher to the Patriots." PFT simply ran it by an insider.Kinda funny that a 'legit' news source is reporting this, anyone wanna pile on FSN and their bogus journalistic practices???? (if this turns out to be false)
My apologies on that one, a poor example.It was a quick tongue-in-cheek retort, you've got me there. Nevertheless, PFT is and always will be a source that's NEVER going to carry much weight on its own.

It doesn't make sense.  Either of the two QBs they could get at #1 grade out as well or better than Rivers, and both had sensational private workouts.  I don't really see how this benefits San Francisco. 
Actually, it makes a great deal of sense for SF if they have Rivers grading out similar to the two rookies. They'd be getting a guy who is already under contract and has already had his signing bonus paid by another team, meaning they would be getting him at a tremendously discounted price. In addition, there is the added benefit that he has already spent one year in an NFL system.
A good point. I'd rather have my choice of Rodgers or Smith as opposed to Rivers, so I was looking at it from that angle. If the 49ers are as high on Rivers as those guys, it would make sense for them.

I my only compliant is that anyone who is on a fantasy football board this time of the year knows that you have to take anything that profootballtalk.com says with a "grain of salt" or "face value" or fill in your own trite saying.

There is no need to slam those guys every single time that someone mentions them. The even funny thing is that PFT knows half of what they put out there is pure conjecture with no substance behind it. The worse thing that could happen to that site is that it becomes journalistic and accurate.
Word. At this point in the year, the majority of what we're discussing are rumors, many of which will never come to pass. I thought the "Rivers to San Fran" rumor was kind of fun. Unlikely? Sure. But an interesting discussion. Looking over the topics on the front page and many of them have the word "rumor" in the title. Rumors are what the majority of board conversation is about right now, because there isn't a lot of hard NFL news up until the draft other than workouts.I don't think anyone saw the title of this thread and assumed that Chris Mortensen was reporting a deal was immenent. It was qualified with the word "Rumor" at the beginning of the title.

In the Moss Trade Tease from PFT, (Still just a rumor, but now jucier) thread, Mungo Burrows said:

If it's just going to be a "bash PFT" thread then so be it. That's why I listed the source and heavily qualified it. I was just passing along the "news" incase someone was interested.
Man someone says "I heard this rumor from some guy on another message board..." and all that gets debated is the rumor itself. You say, "there's this rumor on PFT this morning..." and it turns into three pages of debating PFT's journalist credentials.

If PFT got only 1 out of 20 stories correct, no one would go there. Everyone knows you should take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. PFT actually instructs you to do so. I probably wouldn't make any dynasty moves based on their rumors, but I have no problem with how they run their operation.

They call it the rumor mill for a reason. They aren't claiming this stuff is gospel truth, they are saying that is something we heard. Big F'n deal.

You don't want to believe it? Don't believe it. You don't want to discuss it? Don't discuss it. But why the need to piss in their cornflakes every time you see their name? Doesn't seem all that productive to me.

Most of the time, it's interesting, though-provoking stuff, worthy of discussion on a DISCUSSION BOARD. And SOMETIMES, the crap actually turns out to be legit. If all we ever talked about were facts, it would be a MUCH smaller board and not nearly as interesting.

Is it me, or do people seem to get off on riding a high horse more often than they used to around here?
:goodposting:

Is it me, or do people seem to get off on riding a high horse more often than they used to around here?
It's you ... people around here have always stood on their high horse and pissed in other people's cornflakes.

This trade makes a ton of sense for San Fran.Before their private workouts (which every QB looks "AMAZING" in) Rogers and Smith were 2 of the lower rated QB's at the top compared to most previous classes.I'd much rather have Rivers who would also probably be cheaper for San Fran.The 2 QB 's at the top this year are about as far from can't miss as any at the top in awhile.

I think that PFT must have had a source that said the Eagles were going to lose the SB to the Pats and Wood is pissed it came true AND that his mod powers here do not allow him to delete that article over there. :P

If PFT got only 1 out of 20 stories correct, no one would go there.

Everyone knows you should take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. PFT actually instructs you to do so. I probably wouldn't make any dynasty moves based on their rumors, but I have no problem with how they run their operation.
I agree. Additionally I find that this year they are accurate on noticeably more things than last year, and that they are more clear about the basis for the things they report than they were last year. They've progressed noticeably. I find them worth reading.

It doesn't make sense.  Either of the two QBs they could get at #1 grade out as well or better than Rivers, and both had sensational private workouts.  I don't really see how this benefits San Francisco. 
EXACTLY. No way the Chargers deal Rivers after paying him ~10-14 million in bonuses for 1/2 a game of play thus far, especially since the coaching staff and FO are absolutely in love with him.I think there is merit to a Charger-49er rumor, but that rumor should be Brees to the Niners instead of Rivers. It's apparent that AJ Smith is interested in BMW, as he flew to Tampa two weeks ago to watch his private workout. It's also important to remember that the people of San Diego will be voting on a new stadium next fall, and if I'm the owner, bringing in a SoCal legend and big time playmaker like Mike Williams would be another way to keep the city excited about the Chargers after last years run.

Getting a #1 overall for Brees would be a windfall for the Chargers, considering they were planning to let him walk for nothing just 8 months ago. I think AJ Smith will keep a tight lip and wait until just before the draft to pull the trigger on a Brees trade. Remember he took Eli last year and stared down the Giants - AJ isn't scared to play poker.

I believe AJ and Marty believe Rivers is better than Brees RIGHT NOW, which is why I think they'll deal Brees if a high #1 is offered. SF's #1 for Brees would get it done, IMO.

But Rivers will not be dealt, for bonuses already paid reasons, for salary cap reasons, and for talent reasons. He is the future in SD.

But Rivers will not be dealt, for bonuses already paid reasons, for salary cap reasons, and for talent reasons. He is the future in SD.
:thumbup: I think San Francisco would jump all over a Rivers for their #1 pick if their intention is to get a QB with that pick, but like you said San Diego would be the ones getting hosed considering all the things you listed above.

EXACTLY. No way the Chargers deal Rivers after paying him ~10-14 million in bonuses for 1/2 a game of play thus far, especially since the coaching staff and FO are absolutely in love with him.I think there is merit to a Charger-49er rumor, but that rumor should be Brees to the Niners instead of Rivers. It's apparent that AJ Smith is interested in BMW, as he flew to Tampa two weeks ago to watch his private workout. It's also important to remember that the people of San Diego will be voting on a new stadium next fall, and if I'm the owner, bringing in a SoCal legend and big time playmaker like Mike Williams would be another way to keep the city excited about the Chargers after last years run.

Getting a #1 overall for Brees would be a windfall for the Chargers, considering they were planning to let him walk for nothing just 8 months ago. I think AJ Smith will keep a tight lip and wait until just before the draft to pull the trigger on a Brees trade. Remember he took Eli last year and stared down the Giants - AJ isn't scared to play poker.

I believe AJ and Marty believe Rivers is better than Brees RIGHT NOW, which is why I think they'll deal Brees if a high #1 is offered. SF's #1 for Brees would get it done, IMO.

No way in hell is Drew Brees bringing the #1 pick in the draft.

I doubt that it would be a straight up Brees for the #1 pick, but the Chargers could offer some other compensation as well. It is going to take years to groom Alex Smith and Rodgers so for them to get Brees who has already been through the NFL's growing pains would be a smart idea.

It doesn't make sense. Either of the two QBs they could get at #1 grade out as well or better than Rivers, and both had sensational private workouts. I don't really see how this benefits San Francisco.

Seriously

Man someone says "I heard this rumor from some guy on another message board..." and all that gets debated is the rumor itself. You say, "there's this rumor on PFT this morning..." and it turns into three pages of debating PFT's journalist credentials.

Users who are viewing this thread