What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (3 Viewers)

I don't believe you can solely put the Chargers problems on Rivers. He has made some bad plays late that led to losses but at the same time he's also played some very good games. The offensive line has been bad along with LT having trouble. If you can't run the ball effectively it puts alot more pressure on the QB. The defense also has not done a good job up front.Chargers have lost some very close games that they could've won which is total team effort. Appears to me that the Chargers struggles are a combination of alot of things.. not just Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's 33-17 as a starter, including postseason. Pretty good, huh? :thumbup:
...and Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl.What's your point?
Just answering the question that was asked. What's your point? You have always bashed Rivers and you have always been wrong. Comparing him to Dilfer is just more of the same. You're just making yourself look even more ignorant.

He's 33-17 as a starter, including postseason. Pretty good, huh? :excited:
Kyle Orton 20-9 as a starter.
What does Orton have to do with Rivers? There is nothing particularly similar about them aside from the fact that both have good career records. Rivers has a career 91 QB rating, compared to Orton's career 70.7 QB rating. It seems safe to say Rivers has contributed a lot more to his team's wins than Orton has. Rivers has also won a couple of playoff games... has Orton even played in a playoff game? Regardless, yes, Orton has a very nice record.
Glad to see SD came back to beat that 2 win team :excited:
Me too. :towelwave:

Just answering the question that was asked. What's your point? You have always bashed Rivers and you have always been wrong. Comparing him to Dilfer is just more of the same. You're just making yourself look even more ignorant.
To be fair, your man love for him has always been obvious. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. :yucky:

One this is for sure, this guy has been a fantasy STUD this year.

I've thought he'd be a bum, but I was wrong.

The Chargers however are horrible.

One this is for sure, this guy has been a fantasy STUD this year.I've thought he'd be a bum, but I was wrong.The Chargers however are horrible.
What was the Chargers worst defeat in your opinion that gave you the impression they are "horrible"?

He's 33-17 as a starter, including postseason. Pretty good, huh? :shrug:
To be fair, your man love for him has always been obvious. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. :lmao:
Of course JWB is a big fan of Rivers, he is an NCSU alumni. What does that have to do with the fact that LHUCKS has always bashed Philip? What JWB said is 100% true.

To be fair, your man love for him has always been obvious. I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. :yucky:
Of course JWB is a big fan of Rivers, he is an NCSU alumni. What does that have to do with the fact that LHUCKS has always bashed Philip? What JWB said is 100% true.
:no: At least JWB provides quantitative support for his opinions of Rivers, something that LHUCKS admittingly ignores.

That game yesterday was painful to watch as a Rivers owner. I was closer to breaking my remote than I have ever been in my life. Also having VJax made it double painful. Great rally at the end but my heart can't take too much more of this.

He's 33-17 as a starter, including postseason. Pretty good, huh? :lmao:
:lmao: At least JWB provides quantitative support for his opinions of Rivers, something that LHUCKS admittingly ignores.
As an NC and Raleigh resident, I hate all things NC State...but to deny the "goodness" of Rivers is just plain wrong. He has everything you look for in a franchise QB...talent, fire, intelligence and leadership...comparing him to the Ortons of the world is beyond ignorant...it is just plain dumb. I highly doubt between the 4 ACC teams in NC, that I will ever see a better QB in my lifetime (I am only 34) gracing the field on Saturdays. If I do, the chances are still remote that I will be able to watch him perform better than Rivers on Sundays. If you want less of an emotional analysis, just look at the fact that he is responsible for turning one of the best ever rushing offenses into a passing offense as a 26 years old. In a sense, he is replacing a leader (LT) on offense, while said leader is still there. This team wins because of Rivers, not in spite of him.

One this is for sure, this guy has been a fantasy STUD this year.I've thought he'd be a bum, but I was wrong.The Chargers however are horrible.
What was the Chargers worst defeat in your opinion that gave you the impression they are "horrible"?
:popcorn:
Whoa whoa whoa don't take that the wrong way. I don't mean they are Cleveland Browns horrible. I'm not allowed to post the words that correctly describe how bad we are.However, you should take note that SD is only 1.5 games better than Cleveland right now by their record. What I meant was that a 6-8 record seems completely unacceptable considering the talent that SD has. They might not have been getting blown out this year, but find a way to win these games! Look at the Steelers- they make a living out of winning close games. The Chargers need to gut some of these wins out.Are you trying to tell me that you expected SD to go 6-8? I don't think anyone did.Maybe instead of "horrible" I should have said "most disappointing team in the NFL". Although the Browns might give you a run for their money with that one...

:goodposting:
Whoa whoa whoa don't take that the wrong way. I don't mean they are Cleveland Browns horrible. I'm not allowed to post the words that correctly describe how bad we are.However, you should take note that SD is only 1.5 games better than Cleveland right now by their record. What I meant was that a 6-8 record seems completely unacceptable considering the talent that SD has. They might not have been getting blown out this year, but find a way to win these games! Look at the Steelers- they make a living out of winning close games. The Chargers need to gut some of these wins out.Are you trying to tell me that you expected SD to go 6-8? I don't think anyone did.Maybe instead of "horrible" I should have said "most disappointing team in the NFL". Although the Browns might give you a run for their money with that one...
Not a Charger fan on this board who would argue that the Bolts aren't disappointing. But they don't have a single "bad" loss all year.
Sun 9/7 Carolina L 24-26 Sun 9/14 at Denver L 38-39 Mon 9/22 NY Jets W 48-29 Sun 9/28 at Oakland W 28-18 Sun 10/5 at Miami L 10-17 Sun 10/12 New England W 30-10 Sun 10/19 at Buffalo L 14-23 Sun 10/26 at New Orleans L 32-37 bye Sun 11/9 Kansas City W 20-19 Sun 11/16 at Pittsburgh L 10-11 Sun 11/23 Indianapolis L 20-23 Sun 11/30 Atlanta L 16-22 Thu 12/4 Oakland W 34-7 Sun 12/14 at Kansas City W 22-21
Of their 8 losses, SD definitely should have found a way to win half of them. But they haven't lost to a bad team all year.And lets be honest, w/o the Hoculi debacle, the Bolts would be 7-7 right now, owning the tiebreaker over Denver, and in the playoffs.

tommyGunZ said:
nxmehta said:
Despyzer said:

:lmao:
Whoa whoa whoa don't take that the wrong way. I don't mean they are Cleveland Browns horrible. I'm not allowed to post the words that correctly describe how bad we are.However, you should take note that SD is only 1.5 games better than Cleveland right now by their record. What I meant was that a 6-8 record seems completely unacceptable considering the talent that SD has. They might not have been getting blown out this year, but find a way to win these games! Look at the Steelers- they make a living out of winning close games. The Chargers need to gut some of these wins out.

Are you trying to tell me that you expected SD to go 6-8? I don't think anyone did.

Maybe instead of "horrible" I should have said "most disappointing team in the NFL". Although the Browns might give you a run for their money with that one...
Not a Charger fan on this board who would argue that the Bolts aren't disappointing. But they don't have a single "bad" loss all year.
Sun 9/7 Carolina L 24-26

Sun 9/14 at Denver L 38-39

Mon 9/22 NY Jets W 48-29

Sun 9/28 at Oakland W 28-18

Sun 10/5 at Miami L 10-17

Sun 10/12 New England W 30-10

Sun 10/19 at Buffalo L 14-23

Sun 10/26 at New Orleans L 32-37

bye

Sun 11/9 Kansas City W 20-19

Sun 11/16 at Pittsburgh L 10-11

Sun 11/23 Indianapolis L 20-23

Sun 11/30 Atlanta L 16-22

Thu 12/4 Oakland W 34-7

Sun 12/14 at Kansas City W 22-21
Of their 8 losses, SD definitely should have found a way to win half of them. But they haven't lost to a bad team all year.And lets be honest, w/o the Hoculi debacle, the Bolts would be 7-7 right now, owning the tiebreaker over Denver, and in the playoffs.
I classify at least those two as "bad losses". Even if you can avoid calling those "bad losses" where are the good wins? It's incredible how the Chargers underwhelmed this year.

tommyGunZ said:
nxmehta said:
Despyzer said:

:lmao:
Whoa whoa whoa don't take that the wrong way. I don't mean they are Cleveland Browns horrible. I'm not allowed to post the words that correctly describe how bad we are.However, you should take note that SD is only 1.5 games better than Cleveland right now by their record. What I meant was that a 6-8 record seems completely unacceptable considering the talent that SD has. They might not have been getting blown out this year, but find a way to win these games! Look at the Steelers- they make a living out of winning close games. The Chargers need to gut some of these wins out.

Are you trying to tell me that you expected SD to go 6-8? I don't think anyone did.

Maybe instead of "horrible" I should have said "most disappointing team in the NFL". Although the Browns might give you a run for their money with that one...
Sun 9/7 Carolina L 24-26

Mon 9/22 NY Jets W 48-29

bye

Thu 12/4 Oakland W 34-7

I classify at least those two as "bad losses". Even if you can avoid calling those "bad losses" where are the good wins? It's incredible how the Chargers underwhelmed this year.
Well, Buffalo was 4-1, at home, and coming off of a bye when they beat the Chargers. So while they've faltered lately, the Bills were hot, rested, and at home that week.Miami is 9-5, so I'm not sure how losing in their building by a touchdown is a "bad loss", especially when you consider Miami was also coming off of a bye when they hosted the Bolts. :lmao: Coming into the season, I thought these games were winnable as well, but both teams have exceeded expectations and are good at home.

tommyGunZ said:
nxmehta said:
Despyzer said:

:coffee:

Sun 9/7 Carolina L 24-26

Mon 9/22 NY Jets W 48-29

bye

Thu 12/4 Oakland W 34-7

Well, Buffalo was 4-1, at home, and coming off of a bye when they beat the Chargers. So while they've faltered lately, the Bills were hot, rested, and at home that week. Buffalo won their first 4 games against terrible teams (Seattle, Jax, Oakland, St. Louis) and have gone 2 - 8 since then, with the 2 wins being over San Diego and Kansas City.Miami is 9-5, so I'm not sure how losing in their building by a touchdown is a "bad loss", especially when you consider Miami was also coming off of a bye when they hosted the Bolts. :lmao: Coming into the season, I thought these games were winnable as well, but both teams have exceeded expectations and are good at home. Miami is a better than expected team this year but across the board San Diego has better talent at every position. San Diego's O just flat laid an egg.
Like I said, where are the good wins? San Diego has beaten the Jets, New England, Oakland x2, and Kansas City x2.

I just wanna thank my 11th round pick on helping me into the SB. Keep up the good work next week.

thx

Obviously Rivers isn't terrible. I don't like using QB Rating to measure QBs, though.

Rivers ranks 1st in adjusted net yards per attempt. I don't know how you can say he hasn't been one of the very best QBs in the league this year.

tommyGunZ said:
nxmehta said:
Despyzer said:

:kicksrock:

Sun 9/7 Carolina L 24-26

Mon 9/22 NY Jets W 48-29

bye

Thu 12/4 Oakland W 34-7

Well, Buffalo was 4-1, at home, and coming off of a bye when they beat the Chargers. So while they've faltered lately, the Bills were hot, rested, and at home that week. Buffalo won their first 4 games against terrible teams (Seattle, Jax, Oakland, St. Louis) and have gone 2 - 8 since then, with the 2 wins being over San Diego and Kansas City.Miami is 9-5, so I'm not sure how losing in their building by a touchdown is a "bad loss", especially when you consider Miami was also coming off of a bye when they hosted the Bolts. :bag: Coming into the season, I thought these games were winnable as well, but both teams have exceeded expectations and are good at home. Miami is a better than expected team this year but across the board San Diego has better talent at every position. San Diego's O just flat laid an egg.
Like I said, where are the good wins? San Diego has beaten the Jets, New England, Oakland x2, and Kansas City x2.
Hopefully the ownership agrees that they are not horrible, and they re-sign Norv to a long term deal.

nxmehta said:
Throw the Jags into that mix as well. Heading into this season I would have said they were the 4th best team in the entire league.

tommyGunZ said:
nxmehta said:
Despyzer said:

:goodposting:

Sun 9/7 Carolina L 24-26

Mon 9/22 NY Jets W 48-29

bye

Thu 12/4 Oakland W 34-7

Well, Buffalo was 4-1, at home, and coming off of a bye when they beat the Chargers. So while they've faltered lately, the Bills were hot, rested, and at home that week. Buffalo won their first 4 games against terrible teams (Seattle, Jax, Oakland, St. Louis) and have gone 2 - 8 since then, with the 2 wins being over San Diego and Kansas City.Miami is 9-5, so I'm not sure how losing in their building by a touchdown is a "bad loss", especially when you consider Miami was also coming off of a bye when they hosted the Bolts. :thumbup: Coming into the season, I thought these games were winnable as well, but both teams have exceeded expectations and are good at home. Miami is a better than expected team this year but across the board San Diego has better talent at every position. San Diego's O just flat laid an egg.
The Jets and NE are pretty good teams, right? And the Chargers played Carolina, Indy, Pitt, and Denver to virtual ties. Again, there isn't a single Charger fan alive who isn't disappointed in the overall record. But the Chargers are alot better than their 6-8 record indicates (IMO) and Philip Rivers isn't "terrible", as the thread title indicates.

Hopefully the ownership agrees that they are not horrible, and they re-sign Norv to a long term deal.
Completely agree.... just so long as Norv continues to be most instrumental on the offensive side of the ball.Perhaps most importantly I wouldn't fire Norv unless I had someone targeted to replace him. Just about the dumbest thing a franchise can do is take the easy way out and fire the coach and blame him for everything that goes wrong with a franchise without any thought about who you are going to go out and replace him.... but I'm sure I don't need to explain that to a raider fan.

So to summarize: losing by 7 to a (9-5) Dolphins team constitutes a bad loss. And beating a (9-5) Jet team by 19 and a (9-5) Patriot team by 20 don't constitute good wins?

BoltBacker said:
Statcruncher said:
So to summarize: losing by 7 to a (9-5) 1 - 2 (win over New England) Dolphins team constitutes a bad loss. And beating a (9-5) 1 - 1 (win over Miami) Jet team by 19 and a (9-5) 3 - 1 (wins over Kansas City, Jets, 49'ers) Patriot team by 20 don't constitute good wins?
Look through my posts again, I'm not dogging Philip Rivers or the Chargers. I'm simply saying they have way more talent than their record indicates and anyone who isn't terribly disappointed by this year is in denial. I have no problems with people drinking their team's Kool-Aid, but at least be honest and call a wasted season a wasted season. People can try to defend their record this year but I don't think it helps their credibility.

BoltBacker said:
Statcruncher said:
So to summarize: losing by 7 to a (9-5) 1 - 2 (win over New England) Dolphins team constitutes a bad loss. And beating a (9-5) 1 - 1 (win over Miami) Jet team by 19 and a (9-5) 3 - 1 (wins over Kansas City, Jets, 49'ers) Patriot team by 20 don't constitute good wins?
Look through my posts again, I'm not dogging Philip Rivers or the Chargers. I'm simply saying they have way more talent than their record indicates and anyone who isn't terribly disappointed by this year is in denial. I have no problems with people drinking their team's Kool-Aid, but at least be honest and call a wasted season a wasted season. People can try to defend their record this year but I don't think it helps their credibility.
of course we are disappointed. Losing close games comes down to coaching and QB play. Rivers has made some mistakes but really Norv is to blame.

Now let's lose out so our first rounder is better.

I have no problems with people drinking their team's Kool-Aid, but at least be honest and call a wasted season a wasted season. People can try to defend their record this year but I don't think it helps their credibility.
I don't think it's a wasted season until they are actually eliminated from the playoffs. I also don't think that looking at more than just overall wins and losses will cost anybody any credibility with anyone who is actually worth caring about.

BoltBacker said:
Statcruncher said:
Who is claiming not to be disappointed? I don't think that taking a closer look at the losses and the reasons behind those L's suggests a lack of disappointment. When you lose so many close games to good teams, it's not exactly homerish to think that a healthy Shawne Merriman, a healthy LT, a healthy Gates, a healthy Nick Hardwick, and a healthy Chris Chambers wouldn't have made a difference in at least 1 or 2 of those games. You'll probably say that pointing to injuries is making excuses, but as a Charger fan all I can do is look at the facts and try to figure out why the Chargers have underachieved. Merriman, LT, and Gates are not just good players, they're All Pros. It would be ignorant to think that their injuries had no effect on the W/L record.

of course we are disappointed. Losing close games comes down to coaching and QB play. Rivers has made some mistakes but really Norv is to blame.

Now let's lose out so our first rounder is better.
I don't know, I'd rather have them win next week and make the playoffs... :goodposting:

Rivers ends the season as the NFL leader in TDs, Passer Rating, TD/INT ratio, and Yrd/Pass.

LHUCKS, Jeff P, Moe Green, and others, what does this guy have to do to get some respect?

Rivers ends the season as the NFL leader in TDs, Passer Rating, TD/INT ratio, and Yrd/Pass.

LHUCKS, Jeff P, Moe Green, and others all the incredibly dopey Pro Bowl voters, what does this guy have to do to get some respect?
Fixed.(For LHUCKS, I think the answer is that Rivers would have to go back in time and play his college ball somewhere else.)

Users who are viewing this thread