What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phillies/Cardinals NLDS (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
Not sure why there isn't a thread yet...

Going up 4 runs and having Lee not be "Lee" is a bit of a wake up call.

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
All things considered, I was worried about this one because of Carpenter. But when you go up 4-0 with Lee on the mound I assumed that was the series. Now we have to go to St louis and face Garcia, who we can't hit a little bit. Things just got a little uncomfortable. We need a gem from Cole. And btw, no offense to the Cards, but outside of Pujols and Berkman right now, who the #### are these guys. Eerily reminiscent of Buster Posey and the no name Giants last year, and probably worse.

Not sure why there isn't a thread yet...Going up 4 runs and having Lee not be "Lee" is a bit of a wake up call. :unsure:
Lee has great games, but he also has those 10 K & 5 ER games. Was just hoping to avoid any in the playoffs, at least we've scored some runs in both games. Need a great game out of Cole or its panic time.

All things considered, I was worried about this one because of Carpenter. But when you go up 4-0 with Lee on the mound I assumed that was the series. Now we have to go to St louis and face Garcia, who we can't hit a little bit. Things just got a little uncomfortable. We need a gem from Cole. And btw, no offense to the Cards, but outside of Pujols and Berkman right now, who the #### are these guys. Eerily reminiscent of Buster Posey and the no name Giants last year, and probably worse.
:shrug: Who don't you recognize? Jay, Freese, and Craig?Molina's an All-Star catcher. Furcal and Theriot have been around the league forever.Freese has been a good young bat for a few seasons now. He just can't stay healthy. Came over in the Edmonds trade to SD iirc.This is Jay's second season hitting around .300. They moved the guy who's been their top prospect for several years (Rasmus) to get him more playing time.Craig's mostly just played since Holliday got hurt.

:shrug: Who don't you recognize? Jay, Freese, and Craig?Molina's an All-Star catcher. Furcal and Theriot have been around the league forever.Freese has been a good young bat for a few seasons now. He just can't stay healthy. Came over in the Edmonds trade to SD iirc.This is Jay's second season hitting around .300. They moved the guy who's been their top prospect for several years (Rasmus) to get him more playing time.Craig's mostly just played since Holliday got hurt.
Exactly - starnge how people from NY, Philly, Boston, etc. don't understand how midmarket teams can still field championship teams. True, man for man, those teams CAN afford the best talent; but how often does the highest paid talent = the most capable talent?We have no pitching - crappy bullpen - and little depth, yet somehow displayed the ability to score runs. We are the little engine that could...as long as #5 is in the lineup we have a chance.

Exactly - starnge how people from NY, Philly, Boston, etc. don't understand how midmarket teams can still field championship teams. True, man for man, those teams CAN afford the best talent; but how often does the highest paid talent = the most capable talent?We have no pitching - crappy bullpen - and little depth, yet somehow displayed the ability to score runs. We are the little engine that could...as long as #5 is in the lineup we have a chance.
No disrespect meant brother. Outside of the NL East, I don't follow many NL teams too closely. And being in an AL only fantasy league my focus is on the AL. Was just wondering who some of your guys were, they all have some pretty good numbers. Good for you guys finding the "inexpensive" talent if you will. You have a nice team, just not one I'm too famialiar with. :thumbup:

I'd rather have #50 on the mound.

I wonder if Charlie will go with Mayberry for game 3 against the lefty. The only time the Phils faced Garcia this year they went with this lineup:RollinsVictorinoUtleyPencePolancoMayberryFranciscoSchneiderMayberry went 2-5 that game with an RBI double.Something like:RollinsUtleyPenceHowardMayberryVictorinoPolancoRuiz

What's the feeling out of STL about Pujols staying? It's seem crazy to think ownership wouldn't pony up the money for the guy.

'Snotbubbles said:
'Mr. Know-It-All said:
What's the feeling out of STL about Pujols staying? It's seem crazy to think ownership wouldn't pony up the money for the guy.
Not in StL; but follow local media closely. Fans want ownership to pony up for Pujols at any cost. fact is, outside of Musial, he is the most beloved Cardinal ever (sorry Ozzie...you are still my favorite). This fan, however, would much rather invest in quantity of talent if a reasonable deal can't be struck. This year we got lucky with Berkman - but long term it is not prudent to think you can with with Pujols and a bunch of AAAA players. Holliday helps - but he always seems to be hurt. Let's build a farm system and have a long term plan - not just keep hoping Pujols will outslug the opposition.I love the guy. I think he is great for the organization as well as the community. However, we are what we are - we can't spend the money it will take without gutting the rest of the payroll.

'Snotbubbles said:
I wonder if Charlie will go with Mayberry for game 3 against the lefty. The only time the Phils faced Garcia this year they went with this lineup:RollinsVictorinoUtleyPencePolancoMayberryFranciscoSchneiderMayberry went 2-5 that game with an RBI double.Something like:RollinsUtleyPenceHowardMayberryVictorinoPolancoRuiz
Yup, mayberry is a go. :thumbup:

Ben F'N Francisco?????

Are you kidding me???!!!! last guy on the roster I would have pegged as the game hero!

:excited:

:game not over yet I know: :unsure:

Yet another one of the multitude of games that the Cards COULD have won, but didn't.

14 runners left on base. 14.

Ugh.

Yet another one of the multitude of games that the Cards COULD have won, but didn't.14 runners left on base. 14.Ugh.
:goodposting: Great approach by Craig in the 8th. :rolleyes: Bases loaded, one out, Pujols on deck, down two runs. His job is to hit a flyball to make this game 3-2 and give Albert a chance to win it. He was hacking away like its 0-0, nobody on.

Yet another one of the multitude of games that the Cards COULD have won, but didn't.14 runners left on base. 14.Ugh.
:goodposting: Great approach by Craig in the 8th. :rolleyes: Bases loaded, one out, Pujols on deck, down two runs. His job is to hit a flyball to make this game 3-2 and give Albert a chance to win it. He was hacking away like its 0-0, nobody on.
Yes. Phillies fans know exactly how you feel. Almost the entire team (sans Utley and Polanco) have terrible approaches to the plate. A pitcher could throw 8 straight balls and the next guy up will be hacking first pitch.

I rarely get worked up watching sports, but I was ready to punch somebody after Craig did that. Just terrible. Pujols is hitting the crap out of the ball and you hit into a freaking double play.

Anybody else a little surprised when LaRussa walked Chooch intentionally. Ruiz had a hit early in the game but hasn't looked great throughout the series. He may have been trying to make sure Hamels was coming out of the game, but he was over 115 pitches, so I don't think he was coming out to pitch the next inning regardless. Obviously, no one saw a Francisco homer coming, but even if Ben makes an out, he still turns over the lineup for us in the next inning.

Anybody else a little surprised when LaRussa walked Chooch intentionally. Ruiz had a hit early in the game but hasn't looked great throughout the series. He may have been trying to make sure Hamels was coming out of the game, but he was over 115 pitches, so I don't think he was coming out to pitch the next inning regardless. Obviously, no one saw a Francisco homer coming, but even if Ben makes an out, he still turns over the lineup for us in the next inning.
Turning the lineup over is irrelevant at that point. Even if you lead off the next inning with the pitchers spot you're bringing in a pinch hitter. Turning the lineup over only matters when you have the pitcher batting because they are usually automatic outs. Getting Hamels out of the game probably had more to do with it. I'm not gonna say you throw pitch counts out, but it's the playoffs. If Hamels felt good, Charlie might have had him come out to start the next inning.

Tony likes to put himself in a position to be called a genius. You don't get there by just pitching to the next batter in the lineup.

'Bob Sacamano said:
Tony likes to put himself in a position to be called a genius. You don't get there by just pitching to the next batter in the lineup.
:goodposting:
Courtesy of Elias Sports Bureau, here are a couple more nuggets regarding Ben Francisco‘s pinch-hit three-run home run last night:

It is the first time in postseason history a pinch-hitter has had three or more RBIs, accounting for all of his team’s runs. Only one pinch-hitter had two RBIs, accounting for all of his team’s runs: Kansas City’s Dane Iorg against the Cardinals in Game 6 of the 1985 World Series. That’s otherwise known as the “Don Denkinger Game.”

Francisco hit because Cardinals manager Tony La Russa intentionally walked Carlos Ruiz to face him. Since 2000, there have been five lead-changing postseason home runs following an intentional walk.

La Russa has been victim of three of them:

* San Francisco’s Benito Santiago in Game 4 of the 2002 NLCS. He intentionally walked Barry Bonds.

* Houston’s Jeff Kent in Game 5 of the 2004 NLCS. He intentionally walked Lance Berkman.

* Francisco in Game 2 of the 2011 NLDS. He intentionally walked Ruiz.

Now, I’m not going to say it was crazy La Russa intentionally walked Ruiz to face Francisco. La Russa said Ruiz “terrorizes” them, which is a bit of an exaggeration. But Ruiz has hit the Cardinals well. He has hit .310 with eight doubles, two homers, 13 RBIs and an .818 OPS in 33 regular-season games against St. Louis, although he was hitless in the first two games of the NLDS. But his OPS is 68 points higher than his career average. And Francisco was 1-for-18 in his postseason career, 1-for-9 against Jamie Garcia and hadn’t homered since May 25.

But Francisco certainly remembered his last at-bat against Garcia on Sept.16 at Citizens Bank Park, when he crushed a sinker to the warning track in left field. He felt good stepping into the batter’s box against Garcia, and this time he had results to show for it.

Francisco was in the on deck circle, LaRussa knew he was batting, it had nothing to do with getting Hamles out of the game. He admitted as much in the post game interview, he said Chooch had hit te ball hard a couple times and he knew Franciscos numbers against Garcia were terrible. He went by the numbers and it backfired.

Francisco was in the on deck circle, LaRussa knew he was batting, it had nothing to do with getting Hamles out of the game. He admitted as much in the post game interview, he said Chooch had hit te ball hard a couple times and he knew Franciscos numbers against Garcia were terrible. He went by the numbers and it backfired.
To be fair, it didn't really matter who was at the plate for that pitch. Any self-respecting major league hitter was turning that meatball around and putting it over the wall.

To be fair, it didn't really matter who was at the plate for that pitch. Any self-respecting major league hitter was turning that meatball around and putting it over the wall.
That's true. But I'll be honest I'm surprised Francisco did hit it, since I've been calling him Cerrano for two years.

It may work out great. Just curious based on his numbers so far in the series and his career numbers against Oswalt. What leads to that decision. Also, Theriot can play SS. Not tied to Furcal.
I stopped trying to figure out TLR a long time ago, especially when it comes to middle infielders. He was a middle infielder during his playing days and has always loved messing with them like a pig loves slop.

Schumaker and Theriot are both hitting the ball great. TLR is just playing matchups to give them both playing time. He won't take out Furcal since the team's overall defense has improved a ton since they traded for him.

If you really want to understand TLR, read his book, "Three Nights in August." Since then, I understand a lot more the moves he makes. Since he has been in St. Louis, I honestly think this is the best year he has had.

It's just shocking how many swing-and-misses Halladay gets with both the curveball and 2-seamer (hell, the cutter too).

This whole game has been nerve wracking - just fear that it will come down to the 9th and the lack of a true closer will come back to haunt us. Motte throwing gas to Howard or Utley doesn't seem like a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread