What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick one WR to play ONE game RIGHT NOW - Who? (1 Viewer)

see below for clarification(s)

• Torry Holt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marvin Harrison

• Terrell Owens

• Randy Moss

• Chad Johnson

• Steve Smith

• Hines Ward

• Larry Fitzgerald

• Anquan Boldin

• Santana Moss

• Javon Walker

• Plaxico Burress

• Darrell Jackson

• Andre Johnson

• Chris Chambers

• Other (Hope I didn't miss anyone)

• Total voters

Englishteacher

Footballguy
The player is granted full health BEFORE the game.

There is STILL a PROPENSITY for injury DURING the game. I.E. Chad Johnson can get his cramps and Holt, Owens, and Moss have had some injury problems.

Also, Harrison is 30 something still, Fitzgerald is still only 24ish, so you're measuring on the immediate, not past or future performances.

Attitudes can come into play. Yes, T.O. can get upset, so can Moss and CJ. However, you're showing up for 1 game and I guess a fresh slate but yes, if a guy is sat down by his coach that'll be a factor. Or he can loaf the rest of the game. Or you can risk the upside.

You want THE PLAYER who will do the best job for you in winning the game.

Who is it?

One game right now??

One important question: Is it a playoff game?? If yes, I'll have to disregard Burress. :lol:

I'd go Steve Smith. Best WR in the game right now IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for Fitz because right now he's 22, he's got 2 years under his belt, and he's about to take over the league.

I voted for Fitz because right now he's 22, he's got 2 years under his belt, and he's about to take over the league.
Dude, it is one game. The game is today. Their is no time for "about to" talk.DISCLAIMER: I may be taking this too seriously.

When healthy, Moss is still the freakiest dude around. Look at what happend to Collins when he got hurt....

Dude, it is one game. The game is today. Their is no time for "about to" talk.DISCLAIMER: I may be taking this too seriously.
The only reason he's only "about to" and hasnt already, is because he cant play his next game until September. He cant, TO cant, Smith cant, Holt cant. So in that September Superbowl, with your favorite QB feeding the ball to some WR 10 or 15 times, Id want those passes going to a 23year old Larry Fitzgerald. Personally, Id never ask TO or Moss to step up for me in a big game because they both have issues, and Id would just rather have a BIG WR to throw the ball to than a little one. And taking this stuff seriously is why the NFL is what it is.....keep on keepin' on.

For me it's Owens and it isn't even close. Best WR I've ever seen play not named Rice. Much more complete than Moss IMO.

Are we trying to WIN this game? Then wouldnt we want to go with a WINNER? Why are we all voting for TO? Is he a winner now all of a sudden? I like his skills, but in a big game Im trying to win, Im not about to recruit a guy who's all about himself to step up and lead my team.

What team are we? Makes a huge difference.

If we have a strong Defense and like to run, I'll gladly take Hines Ward. No WR blocks better, and he makes the tough catch.

If we have a weaker D, and will rely on the WR to go deep, make the big play, etc. Give me Randy Moss. Which is the way I voted.

IMO, there's only 4 worth considering here - Moss, Ward, TO, and Smith.

If we have a strong Defense and like to run, I'll gladly take Hines Ward. No WR blocks better, and he makes the tough catch.

If we have a weaker D, and will rely on the WR to go deep, make the big play, etc. Give me Randy Moss. Which is the way I voted.

:goodposting: there you go OZ. I voted for Fitz because I like him and he's on my team, but I probably wouldnt go with him in a game tomorrow. Id take your boy Ward or some other veteran who's a team guy. I just wouldnt take Moss or TO. Give me Holt or Smith or Chambers or Harrison or some other guy I wouldnt mind giving the key to the city to.

I voted Moss and don't think it's all that close, but I'm obviously not in the majority here. He's the most talented player in the NFL and he's in his prime. Complete health is the only question I have with him, and that was already answered for me going into the game.

I can only think of one WR that can impact a game deep, over the middle, on a slant, behind the line, on a reverse, and returning a punt. Simply the most dangerous man in the league and the total package...STEVE SMITH.

Does this WR know that it is all about this game?

If so, it's got to be TeeOoh for prime time motivation on the big stage.

:yes:

:goodposting: there you go OZ. I voted for Fitz because I like him and he's on my team, but I probably wouldnt go with him in a game tomorrow. Id take your boy Ward or some other veteran who's a team guy. I just wouldnt take Moss or TO. Give me Holt or Smith or Chambers or Harrison or some other guy I wouldnt mind giving the key to the city to.
Interesting, that is not how you explained it a few posts ago.

Deion Branch!!!!!!

He just gets open and can take it to the house on any play.

Screw TO!!

TO in a landslide.

You might not like him, but if hes healthy hes GOLD. Hell, hes gold even when his QB doesnt like him.

Moss.

He has been banged up the last couple years so people forget about how dang good he is.

Interesting, that is not how you explained it a few posts ago.
King-With all due respect, we're dealing in hypotheticals here. Its not a very serious question, and it doesnt really deserve too serious of an answer. And obviously I pointed out how Id voted for Fitz prior, and I havent changed my thinking on how good he is in the last couple of hours, but if I really needed a guy to help lead me to a win, Id probably reach for someone a little more accomplished. Not that Larry isnt, but he's still young. Id take him over Moss and TO just on principle alone, though.

Who's the QB?

If he has a live arm, I pick Randy Moss without thinking about it.

If he doesn't, I pick Owens without thinking about it.

WTF voted for AJ?

I'd rather have Joe Jurevicious. (ETA - or Randle El)

Has to be T.O.... You know the defender won't bump and run him so he will get a clean release. Skinny Post or streak pick your poison.

Who's the QB?

If he has a live arm, I pick Randy Moss without thinking about it.

If he doesn't, I pick Owens without thinking about it.
:goodposting: I think TO is a bit more versatile and is better underneath than Moss, so I went with him.

Deion Branch!!!!!!

He just gets open and can take it to the house on any play.

Screw TO!!
Is it him or Givens that has an active playoff TD streak of scoring in seven or eight games in a row?

I'm sorry. Didn't we just see a guy dominate two games in a row to get his team to the NFC Championship. Oh, and that was after he dominated to entire regular season. This guy has proven that even when he is the only threat on the field for his team, he can take over any one game. Which is exactly what this poll is about.

Steve Smith. TO can't hold his jock right now.

I'm sorry. Didn't we just see a guy dominate two games in a row to get his team to the NFC Championship. Oh, and that was after he dominated to entire regular season. This guy has proven that even when he is the only threat on the field for his team, he can take over any one game. Which is exactly what this poll is about.

This argument holds credibility, if you don't mind a 33 yard performance in the championship game.

I'm sorry.  Didn't we just see a guy dominate two games in a row to get his team to the NFC Championship.  Oh, and that was after he dominated to entire regular season.  This guy has proven that even when he is the only threat on the field for his team, he can take over any one game.  Which is exactly what this poll is about.

Steve Smith.  TO can't hold his jock right now.
This argument holds credibility, if you don't mind a 33 yard performance in the championship game.
With a punt return for a touchdown.Not to make excuses. But the game started with the third string running back getting hurt. The defense played horrible. The best player on the field for Carolina was still Smith.

With a punt return for a touchdown.Not to make excuses. But the game started with the third string running back getting hurt. The defense played horrible. The best player on the field for Carolina was still Smith.
Thats really not saying much though. That game was flat out embarrassing for Car.

Lots of good discussion, great. I picked Moss but I'm not that sure about it. It came down to he and T.O. and I kept thinking how Terrell has a tendency to get the dropsies. However, he is MUCH better underneath and after the cacth, not even close. I can also see where you would go with Moss if you had a QB with a live arm and T.O. otherwise. Maybe I should have gone T.O. He's the more complete WR although I think everyone knows who the best deep target is.

Who in the world is voting Chad Johnson? He's good for season to season consistency, but game to game he's bleh compared to the others.

The guy had one multi-TD game all of last year and one 20+ point game (as well as zero 25+ or 30+ point games) all of last year in 16 starts. By comparison Owens had THREE 20+ point games in only SEVEN starts last year.

Heck, CJ has only FOUR in his entire 76 game FIVE YEAR career. As was said, TO has THREE in his last 7 starts.

It's gotta be Smtih or TO. Personally I went with Owens. Moss? C'mon, he may START the game healthy but who knows if he'll finish ok? He's not the type to fight through whatever ailment he's suffering. TO may be a tool but there's not one person out there who can claim he doesn't give it his all every game.

For a season that changes things-but for one game, everything on the line? I'll take the talented glory hog.

Deion Branch!!!!!!He just gets open and can take it to the house on any play.Screw TO!!
Bingo, we got Bingo!!!!!Oh wait, thats Troy Brown. Either way both WR's have had some pretty memorable catches a few years in a row when we needed them!!

It's gotta be Smtih or TO. Personally I went with Owens. Moss? C'mon, he may START the game healthy but who knows if he'll finish ok? He's not the type to fight through whatever ailment he's suffering. TO may be a tool but there's not one person out there who can claim he doesn't give it his all every game.

For a season that changes things-but for one game, everything on the line? I'll take the talented glory hog.
Haven't watched much of Moss huh.

Moss.

He has been banged up the last couple years so people forget about how dang good he is at running in a straight line only...if he feels like it.
FIXED.T.O. is a complete WR and can mess with the heads of the opposition - all while completely dominating the game. If I have to win the game, T.O. could catch a TD - or an underneath pass, break some tackles and take it to the house, or even block for an RB or dowfield for another WR running after the catch. I think the last time Moss blocked anyone was sometime in the late 90s. Oh and BTW, we haven't seen T.O. play in a while either ;)

Oh, and for all the Steve Smith love - we haven't been told we're playing against the Bears secondary. k-thx.

The only reason he's only "about to" and hasnt already, is because he cant play his next game until September. He cant, TO cant, Smith cant, Holt cant. So in that September Superbowl, with your favorite QB feeding the ball to some WR 10 or 15 times, Id want those passes going to a 23year old Larry Fitzgerald. Personally, Id never ask TO or Moss to step up for me in a big game because they both have issues, and Id would just rather have a BIG WR to throw the ball to than a little one. And taking this stuff seriously is why the NFL is what it is.....keep on keepin' on.
TO has issues but none of them are game related. Superbowl 2005 enough said.

this thread makes me realize how much randy moss's talents have been forgotten. TO has got some bulk and can break more tackles then Moss, but Moss is both faster and has way better hands on the deep ball.

Its been awhile since hes been healthy for a good stretch or in an offense that did a good job with him (randy ratio?), but unless hes lost his skills I'd definatly say hes the best.

this thread makes me realize how much randy moss's talents have been forgotten. TO has got some bulk and can break more tackles then Moss, but Moss is both faster and has way better hands on the deep ball.

Its been awhile since hes been healthy for a good stretch or in an offense that did a good job with him (randy ratio?), but unless hes lost his skills I'd definatly say hes the best.
Moss is also more likely to throw a tantrum, take plays off, doesn't block and may quit on the team.As much of a pain as T.O. is, if it's an important game he'll be out there giving 100% on every single play. He blocks well, he doesn't take plays off and he'll never give up. He's a risk to throw a tantrum too though.

Steve Smith is an excellent WR and a guy I love. I like him a LOT more than T.O., but would still take T.O. for one game. It's possible to stop Smith. You can double team him with a bigger guy up front to jam him and a quicker guy deep to take that away. It's not 100% but it can be done. T.O. is just too big and too fast to do that to. You can't jam him because he's too strong. If you play off of him he'll kill you on the slants. He blocks on running plays like a TE. His only weaknesses are he tends to drop balls at times and his antics. For one game I'll risk the antics. In a big game T.O. won't let dropped balls be an issue.

Whaty this thread makes me realize more than anything is that some people haven't watched Moss play since the late 90s.

TO v. SS

TO reception to target % / McNabb (Garcia) completion %

2003: 54.8 / 57.4

2004: 61.1 / 64.0

2005: 51.1 / 59.1

As you can see, TO's catch percentage always lags his QB's completion percentage.

SS reception to target % / Delhomme completion %

2003: 62.4 / 59.2

2004: 75 * / 58.2

2005: 68.7 / 60.2

In addition to catching a higher percent of the balls thrown to him then TO does, Smith's reception percentage always exceeds his QB's completion percentage.

Please explain to me why TO is the better player again? Additionally, let's also not forget who is one of the most dangerous punt returners in the league.

It's possible to stop Smith. You can double team him with a bigger guy up front to jam him and a quicker guy deep to take that away. It's not 100% but it can be done. T.O. is just too big and too fast to do that to. You can't jam him because he's too strong. If you play off of him he'll kill you on the slants. He blocks on running plays like a TE. His only weaknesses are he tends to drop balls at times and his antics. For one game I'll risk the antics. In a big game T.O. won't let dropped balls be an issue.
Disagree with this. If you dedicate two players to stopping TO, you'll get similiar results. The stats above pretty much bear this out. Swing a LB over on occasion like Seattle did and you can totally shut him down (and Westie or LJ goes nuts).

Okay,

First let me say that this is a really interesting question, but to me, it is missing a couple of key criterion.

a) Who is at the helm? A healthy QB? A known QB?

b) What is in place for team Defense? Is it last years Defense?

This list has to be whittled down tremendously; to less than 1/2 of the original choices if the ONE game is RIGHT NOW simply because of the uncertainty at QB and possible chemistry.

No Owens, Jackson, C. Johnson, A. Johnson, R. Moss, Holt, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Chambers, Walker.

That only leaves Ward, S. Smith, Burress, S. Moss and Harrison.

Of these remaining 5 players I can whittle it down to either Ward or S. Smith. Both play with a proven QB who can perform and win under pressure!

Finally, I would take Ward as the Top WR.

One game right now??

One important question: Is it a playoff game?? If yes, I'll have to disregard Burress. :lol:

I'd go Steve Smith. Best WR in the game right now IMO.
Agree. Way too much TO love here.

Are we trying to WIN this game? Then wouldnt we want to go with a WINNER? Why are we all voting for TO? Is he a winner now all of a sudden? I like his skills, but in a big game Im trying to win, Im not about to recruit a guy who's all about himself to step up and lead my team.
Please tell me you're joking. The 49ers were a playoff team with him, then they were terrible without him. Look at the Eagles last year without him.TO has been on winning teams for the majority of his career, and he has been a huge part of that.

It's possible to stop Smith. You can double team him with a bigger guy up front to jam him and a quicker guy deep to take that away. It's not 100% but it can be done. T.O. is just too big and too fast to do that to. You can't jam him because he's too strong. If you play off of him he'll kill you on the slants. He blocks on running plays like a TE. His only weaknesses are he tends to drop balls at times and his antics. For one game I'll risk the antics. In a big game T.O. won't let dropped balls be an issue.
Disagree with this. If you dedicate two players to stopping TO, you'll get similiar results. The stats above pretty much bear this out. Swing a LB over on occasion like Seattle did and you can totally shut him down (and Westie or LJ goes nuts).
I'm not sure that your figures mean a whole lot. They don't tell us the situations those balls were thrown in. I saw several Panther games last season and he was almost never double covered. Even towards the end of the season he was seeing a lot of single coverage. I have no idea why that was the case but it certainly seemed to be true. Contrast that to the double coverage that T.O. receives on almost every single play. A guy being double covered is going to catch less balls than a guy that is single covered. Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Steve Smith. The guy is awesome and I am thrilled to have him as my #1 WR on both of my keeper teams. Honestly the difference between Smith, Moss and Owens IMO is very small. All three of them are game changers unlike any other WRs in the game. That's not to put any of the other guys like Chad Johnson, Tory Holt, Hines Ward, Fitzgerald, Harrison, etc. down because they're all great WRs. But Smith, Moss and Owens each can do things that nobody else can do.

Something that is impressive to me, is that as explosive as Steve Smith is, T.O. still averages more yards per catch than Smith. I like T.O. more in the redzone with his size and again and think that his capabilities as a blocker are important. Smith's return capabilities definitely factor in, but not enough for me personally to choose him over T.O. But I wouldn't even blink an eye if I wanted T.O. and was told that I was getting Smith instead.

After watching S.Smith completely dominate games throughout the entire year, this is an easy choice for me. He's guaranteed to be out there busting his ### on end-arounds, slants, deep routes, etc. Too many question marks with TO (who will he get in an argument with.... QB, head coach, coordinator, fan?)

Users who are viewing this thread