What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd Song Ranking Thread - Lists Due 5/1 (1 Viewer)

I keep listening to songs trying to finalize the order of my list. The problem is that whatever song I am currently listening to, I decide I like better than others and want to move it up my list. I can't keep moving everything up the list.

The Wall is too long and has too much filler
I don't find much, if any, filler at all - I will say the last 4 songs on the album are underwhelming and ant-climatic when compared to the rest of the album - but up until that point everything else is necessary to tell the story and great musically.
I find that a lot of double albums only have about 3 good sides of material.

I missed seeing the original Floyd line-up live, and post break-up took sides and went with Waters. Never bothered seeing post 81 Floyd live. Probably a mistake as I never got to see Richard Wright perform. I did get to see a ton of Waters shows, seeing about every tour except Pros and Cons, which was probably he coolest one to see with EC. The tour with Doyle Bramhall was my favorite Waters shows. I was also glad to see his production of The Wall a few times.

Definitely the go to acid band of my youth and maker of memories. Great art. I have seen Gilmour solo, and didn't really dig it. Nick Mason solo was really great.

Making a list is almost impossible. So many choices. Probably missed some. I seem to gravitate to some of their more mellow, acoustic tunes. Songs that I could lay in a dark room, put the record on, and let the mind wander. Good times.

Probably irrelevant, but I got 5 times as many lists back from LZ rankers in the first four hours than I have from PF rankers in a week. I can’t imagine there are that many more Led Zep fans on the boards than Floyd fans.

I'm sorry I missed that. I think the majority of my PF list is pretty chalky, my LZ list would have been all over the map.

Who won the past 40 years is certainly open for debate. I'd likely side with DG over RW, but IMO both are far from the two of them together in PF. I would rank things . . .

PF
DG's PF
DG
RW

What's odd is I would say the best PF material came with RW in the band, but I like DG's solo material better. RW solo played more songs from the PF songbook over the years, but DG's versions of PF material are performed better (at least to me). Waters has certainly gotten more political and crotchety as the years have gone by. Bottom line (to me), DG's PF, DG, and RW are all a cut below PF with both guys in the band. I am sure others might view things differently.

Probably irrelevant, but I got 5 times as many lists back from LZ rankers in the first four hours than I have from PF rankers in a week. I can’t imagine there are that many more Led Zep fans on the boards than Floyd fans.

I'm sorry I missed that. I think the majority of my PF list is pretty chalky, my LZ list would have been all over the map.
HERE is the link to the 66-page LZ thread (if you wanted to kill some time reading it), as well as the 18-page sign up and discussion thread.

I don't find much, if any, filler at all - I will say the last 4 songs on the album are underwhelming and ant-climatic when compared to the rest of the album - but up until that point everything else is necessary to tell the story and great musically.
I like the end of The Wall. "The Trial/Outside The Wall" gives me goosebumps when I think of Roger's performance at the Berlin Wall in 1990 as the actual wall was being taken down then. https://youtu.be/dPGOqHG9bM0?list=PLQ3gEWZ0h48AR_0YUunpf9XkGd4lHiuw2&t=291

I was at the Berlin Wall just a month before that show, while backpacking through Europe, so that has always stuck with me.
It's not that I don't like those songs - it's more in context to the rest of the album. Run Like Hell is so amazing, and then there's a hard drop-off comparatively and I find The Trial a bit annoying.
I find The Trial a lot annoying.

I like the end of The Wall. "The Trial/Outside The Wall" gives me goosebumps when I think of Roger's performance at the Berlin Wall in 1990 as the actual wall was being taken down then. https://youtu.be/dPGOqHG9bM0?list=PLQ3gEWZ0h48AR_0YUunpf9XkGd4lHiuw2&t=291

I was at the Berlin Wall just a month before that show, while backpacking through Europe, so that has always stuck with me.
It's not that I don't like those songs - it's more in context to the rest of the album. Run Like Hell is so amazing, and then there's a hard drop-off comparatively and I find The Trial a bit annoying.
Toys in the attic :crazy:

j/k - it is a bit over the top.

I like The Trial. Pretty sure it's on my list. I mean, it's Waters going full Ham Waters. He takes himself very seriously.

The Wall is an experience, as much as it's an album. The whole concept is based on mental health struggles of various making. Syd's downward spiral, Rogers childhood, the greed of the music industry, the ultimate humilaton by someone you love......I've always been fascinated by The Wall album, and movie......first time I saw it I was probly 17, and high as balls. It made an impression to say the least.

The trial is rock opera. Its losing your mind, being exposed.....that of which you were trying to keep hidden......it's all of our biggest fears coming to fruititon.....but when the wall comes down, there is hope.....I always interpreted it like trying something you are absolutely deathly afraid of, and realizing it wasn't so bad......youd survived and came out stronger.....Tear down the wall!!

Last edited:
Who won the past 40 years is certainly open for debate. I'd likely side with DG over RW, but IMO both are far from the two of them together in PF. I would rank things . . .

PF
DG's PF
DG
RW
I would probably agree with that ranking although I think the single best solo song between the two is Roger's "The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)".

Haven’t listened to The Wall in a while, so I played it from start to finish on a car ride today. 2 words come to my mind…
Depressing and Brilliant
I wish I was old enough to have experienced the release of the album, but I was only 2 at the time. I heard a bunch of singles on FM before I actually listened to the entire album.
I can see some thinking there is some filler, but I like it. Some of it does have a Final Cut feel to it, but I don’t mind that album.
I love that riff that is throughout the album.

@gdub have you watched the movie? The soundtrack is a bit different.....I prefer the album, but the movie is is pretty awesome.....depressing though for sure.

For what it's worth, on any given day, my top 4 bands in history are the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and the Stones. Different day, different answer. There's crossover fanbase appeal for sure. Top 25 LZ songs was a fun, challenging, but ultimately workable exercise. "Are Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid different songs" was maybe as challenging as it got.

The thought of doing this for Pink Floyd...I just can't. DSOTM is one song to me. Maybe you're running into that.

Things are slow in developing so far. Only 9 lists submitted. Already up to 65 different songs. Only 3 songs appeared on every list. SPOILER ALERT: Candy And A Currant Bun IS NOT one of the three.

Last edited:
Things are slow in developing so far. Only 9 lists submitted. Already up to 65 different songs. Only 3 songs appeared on every list. SPOILER ALERT: Candy And A Currant Bun IS NOT one of the three.
Lemme guess, Several Species of Whatever isn't either?

There are two songs that I expect to be on many lists that aren't on mine.

Given that you said you didn't expect for this to start for at least another month, and that many of the music-thread regulars are currently preoccupied with krista's countdown, I suspect a lot more entries will roll in eventually. There are a lot of procrastinators among the music geeks here, as krista found out with her countdowns.

The LZ rankings turned into a logistical nightmare. People that had already voted were begging for me to start the countdown. People that hadn't made a list yet were begging to push out the deadline. We ended up with 62 lists, and I'm hoping we can get a decent number for Floyd. If people want to ask non FBG people to make a list and have it included, have at it. That got us some extra lists last time. With a couple more entries today, we are up to like 70 songs so far.

Last edited:
Anarchy told me my list was the best one so far.
Well, duh. Stating the obvious. Although I wasn't expecting three tracks from The Endless River and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast in the Top 10.
I guess mine ISN'T unique after all, lol.
I was kidding around about his list. You have two songs that no one else has voted for yet and 2 others that only one person has voted for so far. The rest is pretty standard fare.

Anarchy told me my list was the best one so far.
Well, duh. Stating the obvious. Although I wasn't expecting three tracks from The Endless River and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast in the Top 10.
I guess mine ISN'T unique after all, lol.
I was kidding around about his list. You have two songs that no one else has voted for yet and 2 others that only one person has voted for so far. The rest is pretty standard fare.
I meant unique in what I DIDN'T have.

Based on observation so far, most people will have a similar grouping of roughly 20 of the Top 30 songs. And roughly 5 outliers or personal faves. (Well, except for me . . . I think I will have quite a few outliers.) No one's list is any better or worse than anyone else's . . . except for @BroncoFreak_2K3. His list is trash, but I knew that going in.

I must admit, listening to early 70's J. Geils Band (including a song called Floyd's Hotel) while discussing Pink Floyd is a little odd. The sound and style of the two bands are not remotely similar.

I must admit, listening to early 70's J. Geils Band (including a song called Floyd's Hotel) while discussing Pink Floyd is a little odd. The sound and style of the two bands are not remotely similar.
I'm listening to today's playlist from the krista countdown, which is currently on Alanis Morissette.

Based on observation so far, most people will have a similar grouping of roughly 20 of the Top 30 songs. And roughly 5 outliers or personal faves. (Well, except for me . . . I think I will have quite a few outliers.) No one's list is any better or worse than anyone else's . . . except for @BroncoFreak_2K3. His list is trash, but I knew that going in.
And, I'm sure I will not disappoint... :lol:

And, I'm sure I will not disappoint... :lol:
If I wasn't busy rearranging my sock drawer tonight, I would make a list based on what I think your list would be. But that would require effort and brain power that I just don't have in me at the moment. Who am I kidding? I won't see a list from you until June and the 18th revision until September.

Unless I missed it, there is no established deadline. That would definitely be a forcing function for me, otherwise I will take my time, in part due to life obligations and in part because it is not easy to finalize my list.

Even though nothing from the Syd days made my top 25, I do enjoy quite a few songs from his era. I think the debut album is a bit of a mess, but the box set in the 90s had that early singles CD, and I liked most of those songs a lot. Arnold Layne, Apples and Oranges, Paint Box, Candy and a Currant Bun, etc. Had we gone with a top 50, some of those definitely would have been on there for me.

On the flip side, we could have done a top 200 and nothing from the Ummagumma studio album would have made it. The live disc is good, but Disc 2 (the studio one) is trash.

Even though nothing from the Syd days made my top 25, I do enjoy quite a few songs from his era. I think the debut album is a bit of a mess, but the box set in the 90s had that early singles CD, and I liked most of those songs a lot. Arnold Layne, Apples and Oranges, Paint Box, Candy and a Currant Bun, etc. Had we gone with a top 50, some of those definitely would have been on there for me.

On the flip side, we could have done a top 200 and nothing from the Ummagumma studio album would have made it. The live disc is good, but Disc 2 (the studio one) is trash.
I've got a couple on my list from Syd days. There were definitely several others on the near miss list.

Unless I missed it, there is no established deadline. That would definitely be a forcing function for me, otherwise I will take my time, in part due to life obligations and in part because it is not easy to finalize my list.
No deadline for now. No pressure to get anything in yet. Hoping to get more eyeballs in the thread and get more people to participate. Not sure what other music related threads are out there and how much longer they will last. As long as people are still posting and discussing things in here and I get an occasional list, I'm fine with just slow rolling for now. When interest starts waning and lists stop showing up, then I will have to start thinking about making a submittal deadline.

Atom Heart Mother to me is such an underrated album. Thoughts?

I have a couple from that album on my current list and it's been tough to knock them out so far.

Saw PF in '87 at the Silverdome and '88 at the Palace during that colossal Momentary Lapse of Reason tour that went on for, what, over 2 years or thereabouts. Then saw them again at the Silverdome around '94 I think...no Waters unfortunately on those.

Did get a chance to see Roger during the Us+Them tour, again at the Palace, 2016ish? Saw him again at Joe Louis Area for the Wall tour. Sound was absolutely atrocious.

Users who are viewing this thread