What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd Song Ranking Thread - Lists Due 5/1 (1 Viewer)

IMO, if it’s a different track on Spotify, it should be a different song.
Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Some PF releases conjoined songs that other prior releases did not. Brain Damage and Eclipse have always been two tracks, but no one in here has suggested anything other than counting them as one song.

As another example, where I live, there are three rock stations. One plays ABITW2 as a standalone song. Another always plays it with THDOOL. The third one only plays it as ABITHW1 / THDOOL / ABITW2. I am pushing for listing purposes that these 3 songs be considered individual songs.

I don’t do Spotify, but I’ve heard songs are often left broken up on there for streaming numbers purposes*, so I wouldn’t use that as any guide.

*for example, if 1,000 people listen to Brain Damage and Eclipse, it’s a 1,000 streams if it’s one track, but if left as their own separate tracks, it’s 2,000 streams.

I've got a list ready. I may need to make some minor changes once we decide which songs are one and which are two.

I am leaning toward counting Brain Damage / Eclipse as one song. In The Flesh? / In The Flesh as one song. Pigs On The Wing 1 / Pigs On The Wing 2 as one song. ABITW 1 / 2 / 3 as individual songs. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives as a standalone song. SOYCD combined as one song. Speak To Me / Breathe as one song. Time / Breathe (Reprise) as one song. Anyone strongly opposed to that break down?
Not at all. I might say that the front and back ends of Shine are much different, but your call and fine either way.
I would hate to waste my #2 on SOYCD part two but whatevs.

Man getting a good handle on my #15-25
is difficult as hell.
I just did my list. Wasn't hard. I REALLY don't like the Wall fwiw. Hardest part was my next five out were all off Division Bell!
I will say with full confidence that The Division Bell will have three songs in my top 25. A fourth has an outside chance.

My top 4 is pretty set in stone, it's just a matter of the order. None of the four are songs over 10 minutes.

My list is at 218 songs. Will start paring down from there. Realistically, there’s probably 100 that I might at least consider and 50 that will make the first cut. Or topically speaking, the options before The Final Cut.

Last edited:
My list is at 218 songs. Will start paring down from there. Realistically, there’s probably 100 that I might at least consider and 50 that will make the first cut. Or topically speaking, the options before The Final cut.
I see what you did there.

Is this studio recordings only since it’s “songs” and not “performance”?

Solo Waters or Gilmour eligible?

My take would be that if you pick a song, you can base it off whatever version you like best.

For example, one of my top 4 will be Mother, but that is based off the version in The Wall film. I like the studio version a lot, but the film version, which is almost like a lullaby, is why it is an all-timer for me.

My take would be that if you pick a song, you can base it off whatever version you like best.

For example, one of my top 4 will be Mother, but that is based off the version in The Wall film. I like the studio version a lot, but the film version, which is almost like a lullaby, is why it is an all-timer for me.
That’s different than a live recording which is what I asked about.

That’s different than a live recording which is what I asked about.
That was just one example I gave, and I did say "whatever version you like best," which can certainly apply to a live version, although I would think you'd only want to look at Pink Floyd performances/versions, not solo ones.

I don’t think the two Shine On… tracks should count as one. They are two different songs, and aren’t even back to back on the studio album. IMO, two tracks should only be combined if they are back to back on the original studio album.
If they do, I’d likely only take one of them. I love both but I also love that they’re split up on the album.
If I had to listen to each consecutively all the time, I may not like each song as much - since it’d be repetitive.

Man getting a good handle on my #15-25
is difficult as hell.
I just did my list. Wasn't hard. I REALLY don't like the Wall fwiw. Hardest part was my next five out were all off Division Bell!

My top 4 is pretty set in stone, it's just a matter of the order. None of the four are songs over 10 minutes.
My top two, both over ten minutes. 😀

I have been having flashbacks of 1995 all morning. Every room I walked into in my fraternity house had a red blinking light somewhere.

However you want to do it. If you feel strongly enough that a live performance trumps the studio version to bump your ranking, so be it. If you feel like a solo version does the same, also so be it. It's your list.

However you want to do it. If you feel strongly enough that a live performance trumps the studio version to bump your ranking, so be it. If you feel like a solo version does the same, also so be it. It's your list.
In case I was unclear or if there was any confusion, no purely solo songs can be included. But if someone wants to be more than friends with a solo version of a PF song, IMO, it was a PF song first and can be used for your ranking (and send me a link to the solo version that you want to go steady with). But people CANNOT add solo only songs (ie, All Lovers Are Deranged isn't eligible).

In the Flesh? / In The Flesh
Is this list official?
I am trying to make things easier for people. My vision is if we had a bunch of guys relaxing, sitting around drinking beer, and a PF discussion broke out and people started talking about their faves. In such a setting, I highly doubt someone would interrupt and say, "Wait, do you mean In The Flesh with the question mark or without, cause that's a deal breaker for me?" IMO, it's mostly the same song with different instrumentation.

In case I was unclear or if there was any confusion, no purely solo songs can be included. But if someone wants to be more than friends with a solo version of a PF song, IMO, it was a PF song first and can be used for your ranking (and send me a link to the solo version that you want to go steady with). But people CANNOT add solo only songs (ie, All Lovers Are Deranged isn't eligible).
So something from Gdańsk would be eligible? Not that I’m necessarily going there, but it’s in the conversation.

So something from Gdańsk would be eligible? Not that I’m necessarily going there, but it’s in the conversation.
Or Live from Pompeii 2016?

Or Live from Pompeii 2016?
This really isn’t that complicated. If you like Comfortably Numb from the Pompeii album, you can state it as such, but you are actually voting for Comfortably Numb the song, not that specific performance. I will include all the different versions that people link and send me. In your case, maybe that changes your vote from CN at #1 to CN at #0.5. But the song is only going to be on the countdown once.

Who else here saw Pink Floyd live? I did, in 1994 at Arrowhead Stadium in KC on The Division Bell tour. It was amazing.
I saw them on the tour they recreated Dark Side of the Moon - plus other songs - at Giants Stadium.

Also saw Roger on the Radio Chaos Tour at MSG. Paul Carrack played keyboards on that tour and came out first and sang Tempted alone before the rest of the band came on stage.

Each were great but missing the others.

Who else here saw Pink Floyd live? I did, in 1994 at Arrowhead Stadium in KC on The Division Bell tour. It was amazing.
Saw them in 1988 at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island - actually the show in which part of Delicate Sound of Thunder was recorded.

Had tickets in 1994 at Yankee Stadium for the same DB tour, but sold them as it was during the Stanley Cup Finals with my beloved NY Rangers.

ETA: also saw Waters on his The Wall tour

Last edited:
I saw them on the 87 tour. Saw Roger multiple times. David never really got close enough to where I was for me to see him. All those shows were great, and I might be as brazen to add that I enjoyed multiple Australian Pink Floyd shows just as much.

The incident that caused me to put an indelible black mark when it comes to my mother came when I was a sophomore in high school. I had upper classmen friends that bought me a ticket to one of original The Wall shows with both RW and DG in 1980. Except my mother refused to let me go because it was on a school night. Oh the level of groveling that I went through to try to get her to let me go. I promised to cook dinner every night for a month and clean the house for a year. She never budgeted. My friends never let that one down. BEST. SHOW. EVAH. And of course I missed it.

Very nice!

I felt lucky that our show we saw was one where Poles Apart (spoiler alert: my favorite song from The Division Bell, and one that will rank very high on my list) was played, as that was rotated as were most of the TDB songs. I think Take It Back, Keep Talking and High Hopes were the only every nighters from the album on that tour.

I saw Australian Pink Floyd maybe 20 years ago and it was good. El Monstero is a local Floyd tribute band that does a handful of shows the last two weeks of the year here in St Louis, and they always put on a good show. A few longtime friends go and see it almost every year. I saw it once and it was good, but I can't see going to see tribute bands every year. My tinnitus means I have to pick and choose my concerts more carefully.

Speaking of tribute bands, going to see Killer Queen tonight. I find it odd that at this point, some of the cover bands have been around longer than the original bands (or original lineups). Queen with Freddie was a 20 year run, but Killer Queen has been at it for 30 years.

Speaking of tribute bands, going to see Killer Queen tonight. I find it odd that at this point, some of the cover bands have been around longer than the original bands (or original lineups). Queen with Freddie was a 20 year run, but Killer Queen has been at it for 30 years.
I’ve seen them too - also really good as you would expect them being around that long. Not easy to replicate Freddie obviously, but the lead singer does a pretty fair impersonation. Enjoy.

I saw the November 1987 show at Reunion Arena in Dallas, and I saw the May 1988 show in the horseshoe at the Ohio State University. My list, if I ever finalize it, will be heavily influenced by Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Twice on the Momentary tour. One in fall ‘87 and once in spring ‘88. The first one was one of the few from that era where they played Echoes.

I also saw Gilmour solo in 2006. That show also included Echoes.

Slightly embarrassed to admit that I was a very casual fan until my wife took me to see Roger in 2017 on the Us vs. Them tour. From that day forward, I consumed everything I could get my hands on and they instantly became a top 5 band for me. Was very thankful that after becoming such a huge fan, I got to see Roger last summer on the This is Not a Drill tour. Better late than never!

I’ve seen them too - also really good as you would expect them being around that long. Not easy to replicate Freddie obviously, but the lead singer does a pretty fair impersonation. Enjoy.
Well, based on their sound check of Stone Cold Crazy, this should be a rocking night.

My great Queen story involves Bohemian Rhapsody, the movie. I had already been with my wife for 20 years. Somehow, we had never been somewhere when a Queen song came on. That’s hard to believe, but true. We never discussed liking or not liking them. When the film got released, she reluctantly asked if we could go (fearing I would say no). Turns out she is a huge fan.

Attending the film became date night for months. We probably saw it 15 times in the theater. We planned getaways to see it in theaters not near us. We watched it on vacations. Probably saw it in a half dozen states. Some nights people were so into it they sang along. One theater, people stood up the entire Live Aid performance and went nuts.

Probably watched it again 15 more times on DVD and streaming. Copied over their entire catalog for her to play in the car and we rocked something fierce on road trips. Probably the most connected we’ve been in years. Never, ever would have thought we would have a relationship resurgence over a band and a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread