What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: A.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati Bengals (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2013 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question.

Thread Topic: A.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

Player Page Link: A.J. Green Player Page

Each article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web
  • FBG Projections
The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate
While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

I'm expecting a small dip in catches and yardage. With a healthy Sanu and Tyler Effiert coming in Dalton will have more talent to work with. Benard may even catch some balls. But he'll still be top 3 WR at the end of the year. More TDs

I'll go with 90/1250/14. Elite No. 1 and only second to Megatron.

No Discussion on AJ Green,

If there's one WR in real life or fantasy I would take starting a team today it's AJ Green.

He is already the best in the league at adjusting to the ball in the air and is the premier deep threat in the game.

He is surprisingly good after the catch for someone his size as well. He plays in a division that has a good defensive reputation but it is not what it used to be Polomalu and Reed are no longer there.

He has an improving offense that should take the attention off him slightly and a QB who has faith in him to just chuck it up deep and know that AJ will come down with the ball.

I am a Bengals fan and I have watched every game and AJ is the best WR in the league today including Calvin.

However....

Dalton is not the Red Rifle he's more of a Nerf Gun and can't consistently put the ball deep enough or accurately enough to give AJ a Chance to catch it or score after the catch with it.

The Bengals also have a very good defense that wont cause them to be throwing as often and from behind in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Lastly there are other options including two other Young WR"s , Now Eifert and Gio so an insane amount of target isn't likely.

Still if there one player I want on a jump ball it's AJ and the Bengal should be in the redzone plenty.

90 1375 14

If there's one WR in real life or fantasy I would take starting a team today it's AJ Green.

He is already the best in the league at adjusting to the ball in the air and is the premier deep threat in the game.

He is surprisingly good after the catch for someone his size as well. He plays in a division that has a good defensive reputation but it is not what it used to be Polomalu and Reed are no longer there.

He has an improving offense that should take the attention off him slightly and a QB who has faith in him to just chuck it up deep and know that AJ will come down with the ball.

I am a Bengals fan and I have watched every game and AJ is the best WR in the league today including Calvin.

However....

Dalton is not the Red Rifle he's more of a Nerf Gun and can't consistently put the ball deep enough or accurately enough to give AJ a Chance to catch it or score after the catch with it.

The Bengals also have a very good defense that wont cause them to be throwing as often and from behind in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Lastly there are other options including two other Young WR"s , Now Eifert and Gio so an insane amount of target isn't likely.

Still if there one player I want on a jump ball it's AJ and the Bengal should be in the redzone plenty.

90 1375 14
:goodposting:

But I disagree with one thing only. He isn't the best WR in the league but he's pretty damn close. I still think Megatron takes that title but I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ put up similar numbers if not surpass him this year. Out of the 1a level elite WRs (Green, Jones, Bryant) I do think Green is the best out of that group with maybe a car length or two behind Calvin. I love me some A.J. Green.

I don't see how Green can realistically surpass Calvin in his prime without Dalton getting a Stafford amount of pass attempts, especially as the Bengals add more and more weapons. And I don't see that happening, to say nothing of the quality of the targets.

Green is not as good as Megatron - let's be serious - but he is still pretty awesome.

I'll go with 95-1,288-12 this year.

However....

90 1375 14
When did Troy leave the division?

However....

90 1375 14
About four years ago.

However....

90 1375 14
About four years ago.
That's about the last time he's covered anyone at any rate.

He is a talent but I am not a fan of his first 3 game to start the season. While I think he will be more than adequate, I do not see elite (I'll win you a fantasy game on my own) stats in those 3 games.

Chi, Pit, and Gb and then @pit week 15. Meh....

Last edited by a moderator:
Green is arguably just as talented as Calvin, however the situation dictates that Green takes a backseat to Calvin driving the bus as fantasy's best WR. There's only 3 people in the league that get force fed the ball and thats Calvin/Marshall/Andre so the only person to possibly compete with Calvin as the #1 WR (in my mind) is Marshall. Green is awesome at everything and in an offense that will get him the ball, but not at the expense of others.

88/1470/11

It's amazing to how many people think Dalton is below average. He may plateau for a few years before taking the next step but he's only played 2 seasons and he progressed in practically all facets of his game in year 2. He will only get better. He also has the benefit of solid young skill players and the same O-coordinator for now his 3rd season in the NFL.

I've said this a few times, but Dalton reminds me of when Brees first entered the league. Brees, after 5 seasons in the league (4 as a starter) was dismissed by the MAJORITY of fantasy fans. Most fantasy fans were convinced that the Chargers were right in letting Brees walk and rolling with Rivers. I was probably the only person at the time who believed that Brees would eventually become a top tier QB.

My point, I think Dalton is on the road to being a top tier QB and hardly any notice it. Trust me, barring something catastrophic, Dalton will eventually be an obvious elite QB in fantasy and the real NFL. It probably won't be obvious until it's too late to get him at a value in dynasty leagues. So if you're one of those who needs to see consistency before buying in, you will probably miss the boat on getting Dalton at a reasonable price.

Shoot! What does all of that have to do with AJ Green? I suppose I would rate Green in my top 5 dynasty WRs without a doubt. I'd feel more confident in him if he had more elite metrics (like Julio). I do think he's the best pure receiver in the game right now. Just straight "hands", Green is stellar. Obviously, he has very good metrics but if he had a 40 inch vert and 11 foot broad, I'd have wet dreams about Green. But yeah, I like Green, I like Dalton and I like Eifert. I think this is the fantasy youth core to own in dynasty leagues right now.

He's unreal and the only limit to his ceiling right now is his qb. Everyone knows he's gonna get the ball, he's got one of the worst qbs in the league and still puts up terrific numbers. When I watch him play I think of Moss.

95 - 1375 -12 .

It's amazing to how many people think Dalton is below average. He may plateau for a few years before taking the next step but he's only played 2 seasons and he progressed in practically all facets of his game in year 2. He will only get better. He also has the benefit of solid young skill players and the same O-coordinator for now his 3rd season in the NFL.

I've said this a few times, but Dalton reminds me of when Brees first entered the league. Brees, after 5 seasons in the league (4 as a starter) was dismissed by the MAJORITY of fantasy fans. Most fantasy fans were convinced that the Chargers were right in letting Brees walk and rolling with Rivers. I was probably the only person at the time who believed that Brees would eventually become a top tier QB.

My point, I think Dalton is on the road to being a top tier QB and hardly any notice it. Trust me, barring something catastrophic, Dalton will eventually be an obvious elite QB in fantasy and the real NFL. It probably won't be obvious until it's too late to get him at a value in dynasty leagues. So if you're one of those who needs to see consistency before buying in, you will probably miss the boat on getting Dalton at a reasonable price.

Shoot! What does all of that have to do with AJ Green? I suppose I would rate Green in my top 5 dynasty WRs without a doubt. I'd feel more confident in him if he had more elite metrics (like Julio). I do think he's the best pure receiver in the game right now. Just straight "hands", Green is stellar. Obviously, he has very good metrics but if he had a 40 inch vert and 11 foot broad, I'd have wet dreams about Green. But yeah, I like Green, I like Dalton and I like Eifert. I think this is the fantasy youth core to own in dynasty leagues right now.
doubt that you watch much of dalton if you feel this way. he routinely misses wide open deep balls to aj green. now, he may progress and hit those passes at a higher rate, or he may just luckbox into putting them in the right spot. regardless, green has a very high ceiling bc he gets open for deep tds 2-3 times a game.

Anything to be concerned with Green's wheel? Just had another owner text me saying he had a very bad leg but I don't see anything too concerning.

Dalton was absolute crap on third down conversions last year. Of the leagues starters, only Chad Henne was worse at converting 3rd downs through the air. If he doesn't get significantly better on third down, Cincy should seriously consider going in another direction.

Anything to be concerned with Green's wheel? Just had another owner text me saying he had a very bad leg but I don't see anything too concerning.
I'm guessing you own him and he wants him. He banged a bit ago but doesn't appear to be anything...sitting out a bit as a precaution.

Dalton was absolute crap on third down conversions last year. Of the leagues starters, only Chad Henne was worse at converting 3rd downs through the air. If he doesn't get significantly better on third down, Cincy should seriously consider going in another direction.
I think they tried to add some weapons since everyone in the world knew on 3rd that they were going to AJ so the double/tripled him. Now their rookies had a little more time to mature and they've added Eifert for another weapon as well as Bernard which should help.

Banger said:
Sabertooth said:
I'm guessing you own him and he wants him. He banged a bit ago but doesn't appear to be anything...sitting out a bit as a precaution.
Right, it's a minor bone bruise as I understand it and he's being held out so he can fully recover. There is nothing to worry about with this one.

Banger said:
Area51Inhabitant said:
I think they tried to add some weapons since everyone in the world knew on 3rd that they were going to AJ so the double/tripled him. Now their rookies had a little more time to mature and they've added Eifert for another weapon as well as Bernard which should help.
All the more reason to cut bait after this year if he doesn't improve those numbers.

He just had a minor knee bruise Saber. Hold on tight and be happy they're not playing him right now. He's going to light it up.

I am probably the only person around here that will say this but I think AJ Green is going to disappoint his owners this year a moderate amount.

That is not to say he falls out of the top 10-12 or anything in fantasy but compared to where his perceived value is, a disappointment.

The reason is that the Bengals are making MASSIVE efforts in Training camp to improve their 3rd down efficiency (which was truly terrible in 2012) and those efforts are not involving Green much at all. It is clear that they are opening up the middle of the field and using Gio, Eifert, Gresham, etc and Green is primarily drawing things off.

If this carries over, it is hard to see those 164 or so targets from last year sustaining. He can get more overall targets in the regular course of play but he will stand to lose a good number that he saw last year in 3rd down.

Think about it..Have a look at it yourself. See what you think.

Not sure that I agree with that logic. If they do succeed in converting more on third down, then it would follow that they would run more plays per drive which should lead to more plays overall and more scoring opportunities for Green in the red zone. Even if Green's target percentage drops because of all the new mouths to feed, as long as Cincy has the ball longer, has longer drives with more opportunities for Green in the red zone, this should on balance be a good thing for his fantasy prospects.

I am probably the only person around here that will say this but I think AJ Green is going to disappoint his owners this year a moderate amount.

That is not to say he falls out of the top 10-12 or anything in fantasy but compared to where his perceived value is, a disappointment.

The reason is that the Bengals are making MASSIVE efforts in Training camp to improve their 3rd down efficiency (which was truly terrible in 2012) and those efforts are not involving Green much at all. It is clear that they are opening up the middle of the field and using Gio, Eifert, Gresham, etc and Green is primarily drawing things off.

If this carries over, it is hard to see those 164 or so targets from last year sustaining. He can get more overall targets in the regular course of play but he will stand to lose a good number that he saw last year in 3rd down.

Think about it..Have a look at it yourself. See what you think.
but if they make more 3rd downs they'll have more sustained/longer drives which equals more yards, passes, points and an overall larger pie. Green is and will continue to be the focal point but he needs another threat to give him some room and make the defense make a choice every once in a while.

ETA...didn't see Area's post....

Watch episode 1 of Hard Knocks and tell me Green isn't going to be the focal point of the offense.

Cinci needs other guys to step up on that offense. They know what they have in Green. It only makes sense that they work on the area that need heavy development in camp.

he's got one of the worst qbs in the league and still puts up terrific numbers.
Is this a joke? Dalton isn't top 5 but he's been in the mix for top 10 QBs in his first two seasons in the NFL.

Let's not act like he has no upside. He has an arm that is plenty good even if it's not a Stafford rocket. AJ caught more than a couple lobs from him last year. His accuracy and work ethic will benefit him in the long run. His only problem has been inconsistency and decision making... he throws way too many interceptions right now in key situations, even though his INT totals are about in line with what I'd expect out of a second year starter (16). This is the same QB who went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie and then improved on all aspects of his game in year 2, which were reflected in his year end averages and totals being ahead of his rookie season's stats.

He's far from being "one of the worst QBs" in the nFL.

Since I don't want to take this thread off topic, here's some thoughts on A.J. Green :

- Massive talent

- History of production

- Has been knicked up, but hasn't missed significant time.

- Bengals seem determined to get the most out of him.

I doubt we see a big leap in production from him. It would be hard to improve upon his already great, top 5 WR numbers. In fact, I'm almost certain his numbers this season will be about the same. I expect Dalton's numbers to get a nice boost as the weapons around the offense have improved. I could see AJ hauling in a couple fewer catches but having a boost in YPC bringing it closer to where it was his rookie season. I don't see a big boost in TDS for him - they'll stay around the same I suspect. The TEs in this offense are stellar and along with an improved rushing game I don't see the passing offense getting too much more than 30 TDS, and its more likely that this number will be lower. AJ will get his though, for sure.

AJ Green

85/1300/12

Is this a joke? Dalton isn't top 5 but he's been in the mix for top 10 QBs in his first two seasons in the NFL.

Let's not act like he has no upside. He has an arm that is plenty good even if it's not a Stafford rocket. AJ caught more than a couple lobs from him last year. His accuracy and work ethic will benefit him in the long run. His only problem has been inconsistency and decision making... he throws way too many interceptions right now in key situations, even though his INT totals are about in line with what I'd expect out of a second year starter (16). This is the same QB who went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie and then improved on all aspects of his game in year 2, which were reflected in his year end averages and totals being ahead of his rookie season's stats.

may be a bit harsh but I think he's better than Weeden, Raiders QB, Jax QB, Bills QB, Jets QB and Ponder and probably Locker. So he's probably at the top of the bottom third of the league IMO. Green makes Dalton, Dalton doesn't make Green. He has the luxury to throw it up and Green gets. The team has surrounded him with weapons this year and this is a big year for him. 3rd down is a QB measuring stick and he was near the bottom.

Derek Anderson made the pro bowl too.

dalton is a decent qb, but his skillset is one of the worst fits for maximizing aj green's exploits. he just misses so many deep balls. green with someone like flacco, a decent qb with a huge arm, would be amazing.

dalton is a decent qb, but his skillset is one of the worst fits for maximizing aj green's exploits. he just misses so many deep balls. green with someone like flacco, a decent qb with a huge arm, would be amazing.
I agree with this. Bangor was a bit harsh on Dalton IMO but his point has merit. Having watched Green a lot the last 2 years I can say he is consistently behind opposing Ds and there have been a ton of missed opportunities for big plays because Dalton has struggled to capitalize on it. I don't think Dalton is horrible. I do think he is bellow average in his deep accuracy though. If he was even average, Green would be talked a out the same way Calvin is now. It's just that apparent if you watch him enough.

I agree with this. Bangor was a bit harsh on Dalton IMO but his point has merit. Having watched Green a lot the last 2 years I can say he is consistently behind opposing Ds and there have been a ton of missed opportunities for big plays because Dalton has struggled to capitalize on it.I don't think Dalton is horrible. I do think he is bellow average in his deep accuracy though. If he was even average, Green would be talked a out the same way Calvin is now. It's just that apparent if you watch him enough.
His regular season stats looked ok, but I still can't erase how horrible he was vs Houston in the playoffs last year. One of the worst QB performances I've seen.

Watch episode 1 of Hard Knocks and tell me Green isn't going to be the focal point of the offense.

Cinci needs other guys to step up on that offense. They know what they have in Green. It only makes sense that they work on the area that need heavy development in camp.
I have been a training camp. I don't need to watch made for tv.

Really, not trying to argue with anyone. I said up front I know I am THE minority on this but just discussing. I know the comments above are along the line of "if they convert more 3rds, then that means more better for AJ" but trying doesnt mean success necessarily. And in some cases, a 3rd down conversion try just means three more downs to try to run the ball in from short yardage or a few runs to set up a fg or run out clock. Not every third down means "great, now lets throw a bomb to AJ". Overall I just think there are realistic limitations at qb and the philosophy of the HC with defense and controlling the ball in their division adds up to a let down. Again, not like he busts, but when the near universal consensus says he is clearly the only thing except Calvin at the top, a WR 10 finish might just bear a good number of "what's up with AJ" threads because it seems pretty clear that anything less that 6/100/td most week is going to frustrate some people.

Problem with Dalton IMO, is that he's in the wrong offense. He needs a quicker hitting offense with a short to intermediate passing game. Kinda reminds me of Brees when he was with the Chargers. The offense just didn't suit his strengths.

Really, not trying to argue with anyone. I said up front I know I am THE minority on this but just discussing. I know the comments above are along the line of "if they convert more 3rds, then that means more better for AJ" but trying doesnt mean success necessarily. And in some cases, a 3rd down conversion try just means three more downs to try to run the ball in from short yardage or a few runs to set up a fg or run out clock. Not every third down means "great, now lets throw a bomb to AJ". Overall I just think there are realistic limitations at qb and the philosophy of the HC with defense and controlling the ball in their division adds up to a let down. Again, not like he busts, but when the near universal consensus says he is clearly the only thing except Calvin at the top, a WR 10 finish might just bear a good number of "what's up with AJ" threads because it seems pretty clear that anything less that 6/100/td most week is going to frustrate some people.
Im with you on this. Green has a high floor, but so do all of the top 12 WRs (barring injury). The fact that his ADP is in the 1st round tells me he wont be on any of my teams.

A.J. Green returns to practice for Bengals

Posted by Josh Alper on August 14, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
300x-3-e1352401117180.jpg
ReutersThe Bengals offense relies heavily on wide receiver A.J. Green, which makes the prospect of him missing part of the season with an injury a scary one in Cincinnati.

It doesn’t look like they have to worry about the bruised knee that Green suffered early in camp forcing him out of the lineup, however. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Green returned to practice for the Bengals after almost three full weeks on the sideline.

Per the report, Green mostly did individual drills in his return to the field and the Bengals will likely do whatever they can to ease Green back into the mix in order to minimize the chance of aggravating the injury. Whether that means he’ll be playing on Saturday against the Titans remains to be seen, although he likely has a chance since coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that any injured player with a chance of playing in that game would practice on Wednesday.

If he doesn’t go this week, Green will have two more preseason games still on the schedule to get himself acclimated to game situations. That should be plenty of work to ensure the Bengals’ top offensive weapon is where he needs to be for the start of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread