What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Greg Olsen, TE, Carolina Panthers (1 Viewer)

They can run the ball on TB, so I expect them to install a conservative game plan with some play action. I just don't see 11 targets again

They can run the ball on TB, so I expect them to install a conservative game plan with some play action. I just don't see 11 targets again
Wild speculation is wild speculation. I'm sorry but no one knows how the game flow will go on any given Sunday. If tb can somewhat show up there will be plenty of targets.

I was playing him with confidence and even more after checking what he did with DA week 1. Vet QBs always have a couple of security blanket players and I think Olsen will do great.

Even if Orange Julius plays, I have no regrets playing Olsen over him. He's been awesome in a down TE year.

Where would people consider taking him just now, if it transpires that Benjamin is lost for the season? His ADP seems to be around rounds 4-5 alongside Kelce. Hadn't really been considering either of them at that price, but Olson's value has most likely just gone up. Not everyone will be the same but I'm drafting in 2 days which may be soon enough to not see him climb further up people's boards.

Don't see anything changing. He had a career year last season WITH Benjamin. I still have him as TE4/5 with Kelce.

If Benjamin is out for the season, I think he moves up into the Graham tier.
I don't even have Graham in the Graham tier after his trade to Seattle. He's being wildly overdrafted IMO.

As for Olsen, I might put him right up there alongside Graham if Benjamin's out for the year, but it hardly matters to me ... unless it's a TE-premium scoring league I still think all the TEs in the 2-5 range are going at way too high an ADP relative to the Ertzes and Walkers of the league.

I don't even have Graham in the Graham tier after his trade to Seattle. He's being wildly overdrafted IMO.

As for Olsen, I might put him right up there alongside Graham if Benjamin's out for the year, but it hardly matters to me ... unless it's a TE-premium scoring league I still think all the TEs in the 2-5 range are going at way too high an ADP relative to the Ertzes and Walkers of the league.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I believe there is Gronk in Tier 1, nobody in Tier 2, Graham in Tier 3, and then Olsen, Kelce and Bennett in Tier 4.

Benjamin worked lots outside numbers. Olsen usually inside. May be slight uptick, but my two bits is I wouldn't expect drastic change here. Olsen in 5th seems fair. But given TE possibilities seems like a waste to take him sooner.

Homey's gonna be blanketed.
Same was supposed to happen last yr
right. and benjamin stepped up. to assume that olsen's stock should rise when there is risk in yet another rookie stepping up even bigger does not compute. at best, his stock should stay the same, at worst it should take a slight hit. my wooden nickel as an olsen owner
Benjamin was targeted 145 times last year to Olsen's 123 (up from 111 in 2013). Would it really surprise anyone if he gets 130+ targets this year?

Homey's gonna be blanketed.
Same was supposed to happen last yr
right. and benjamin stepped up. to assume that olsen's stock should rise when there is risk in yet another rookie stepping up even bigger does not compute. at best, his stock should stay the same, at worst it should take a slight hit. my wooden nickel as an olsen owner
Benjamin was targeted 145 times last year to Olsen's 123 (up from 111 in 2013). Would it really surprise anyone if he gets 130+ targets this year?
It would really surprise me if he got under 130 targets.

Don't see anything changing. He had a career year last season WITH Benjamin. I still have him as TE4/5 with Kelce.
Oops, should have said TE3/4 after Gronk and Graham. Maybe this bumps Olsen up a little, but I basically see him as the new Witten. Absolutely solid, but maybe without the crazy upside of Kelce (who could turn into the next Gronk).

Ertz is a gamble. Sure I have seen him fall far but his floor is TE 2 production. The thing is in these tournaments, people take risks and use certain strategies like waiting really long on a TE. It can work great if he does boom because you loaded up WR/RB. It looks like TE is the spot people are more willing to wait on than QB.

Any projections for Olsen for this year?

140/100/1200/10 doable?

I've been trying to figure the breakdown for the Panthers receivers and I keep sliding numbers over to Olsen's column.

140/100/1200/10 doable?

I've been trying to figure the breakdown for the Panthers receivers and I keep sliding numbers over to Olsen's column.
I don't see 10 TD's. He's gonna get his catches though. Should be a great/solid TE1.

140/100/1200/10 doable?

I don't see 10 TD's. He's gonna get his catches though. Should be a great/solid TE1.
TDs are impossible to predict. He once caught 8 TDs on 60 rec in Chicago. Benjamin is vacating quite a few red zone targets. 10 TDs is definitely feasible this year.

What is very unlikely is him catching over 70% of his targets.

I think it is worth noting that two of his best games last year were the games Newton didn't play:

Week 1 - 11 targets - 8/83/1

Week 15 - 13 targets - 10/110/0

140/100/1200/10 doable?

TDs are impossible to predict. He once caught 8 TDs on 60 rec in Chicago. Benjamin is vacating quite a few red zone targets. 10 TDs is definitely feasible this year.

I think it is worth noting that two of his best games last year were the games Newton didn't play:

I'd go with his average catch rate the past 3 season - ~66%. That would give him 92 catches on 140 targets.

At 12 YPC that would give him 92/1100. He's only caught more than 6 TD's once and most he's had is 8 so I'm hesitant to project him higher that 8.

92/1100/8 seems reasonable to me.

140/100/1200/10 doable?

I'd go with his average catch rate the past 3 season - ~66%. That would give him 92 catches on 140 targets.

At 12 YPC that would give him 92/1100. He's only caught more than 6 TD's once and most he's had is 8 so I'm hesitant to project him higher that 8.

92/1100/8 seems reasonable to me.
His career rate is 1 TD/11 rec, so yeah, that sounds reasonable. But again, there are some red zone targets looking for a home now that Kelvin is gone.

And I would normally agree about the 66%, however, my word of caution on the matter is that he's pretty much the #1 receiving threat on the team now by a long shot. If defensive coordinators don't game plan to focus on him, they'd be crazy/incompetent. And if they focus on him, we should expect Newton to not throw to him in double coverage, thus dropping his targets (or at least keeping them in line with last year), or his catch rate should decrease from 66%.

I've always liked Olsen, but as you can see, I'm kind of torn on him this year. He's got some solid pros and cons going on...

Users who are viewing this thread