What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Greg Olsen, TE, Carolina Panthers (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2013 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question.

Thread Topic: Greg Olsen, TE, Carolina Panthers

Player Page Link: Greg Olsen Player Page

Each article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web
  • FBG Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

This guy played a ton of snaps last year and is the #2 passing option is Carolina. Extremely undervalued as he is not a sexy pick for some reason. He will be a Top 5 TE if he stays healthy as he will play 90%+ snaps this year.

73/890/7 is what I see and that is pretty nice if you ask me, a little better then last year when he finished with 69/843/5

best value at TE, reminds me when people would just sit back and draft Cooley in rd 10. Easly go over 70 recs and 800 yds.

75 recs, 850 6 TDs

Unless Armanti Edwards surprises they still don't have a WR2. So Greg is going to benefit.

Now I'm not going to advocate he maintains more than 8 yards per target like last year but 110 targets, 70 receptions, 770 yards, 6 TDs sounds about right, with room for upside.

I read a story about some tough times he has recently went through with his son and his son is doing great now. I expect to see Olsen put in his best effort into this season. How does that look as far as his numbers I'm not sure but I'm going to look his endzone production to go up just based off of fighting harder to make those catches.

88/1050/11

This has nothing to do with previous years stats just a feeling that this will be his career year due to effort, focus and maturity.

Greg Olson is highly undervalued this year. According to fantasy football calculator he is the #14 TE off the board. While finishing as the 6th best last year. While Chud is gone, not much else has changed. He is the #2 target in that offense. I believe his ADP will rise but if you're in the group of waiting on TE, you can't go wrong here. He is cemented in that second tier of TEs. His ceiling might not be as high as others in that group but his floor is significantly higher. Draft day bargain, I'm definitely targeting him if I miss out on the elite group.

75//900/7

Unless Armanti Edwards surprises they still don't have a WR2. So Greg is going to benefit.

Now I'm not going to advocate he maintains more than 8 yards per target like last year but 110 targets, 70 receptions, 770 yards, 6 TDs sounds about right, with room for upside.
I see Hixon taking over as #2, hes always underrated

I read a story about some tough times he has recently went through with his son and his son is doing great now. I expect to see Olsen put in his best effort into this season. How does that look as far as his numbers I'm not sure but I'm going to look his endzone production to go up just based off of fighting harder to make those catches.

88/1050/11

This has nothing to do with previous years stats just a feeling that this will be his career year due to effort, focus and maturity.
It's silly to think that the health of his son will help him on the field...definitely grasping for straws there. Do you really think he will be "fighting harder" to make endzone catches because of this?

I think Olsen is a solid TE pick this year, but because of some hollywood storybook reason. He has a lot of talent and an additional year of experience in the NFL. He won't be spectacular, but doesn't need to be either. Good value pick.

Unless Armanti Edwards surprises they still don't have a WR2. So Greg is going to benefit.Now I'm not going to advocate he maintains more than 8 yards per target like last year but 110 targets, 70 receptions, 770 yards, 6 TDs sounds about right, with room for upside.
He is also always hurt if I am remembering the right Giants receiver

Hixons best season ever was about 40 rec, 600 yrds. I'll place my money on Olsen instead

88/1050/11

It's silly to think that the health of his son will help him on the field...definitely grasping for straws there. Do you really think he will be "fighting harder" to make endzone catches because of this?

I think Olsen is a solid TE pick this year, but because of some hollywood storybook reason. He has a lot of talent and an additional year of experience in the NFL. He won't be spectacular, but doesn't need to be either. Good value pick.
You're right who can gain confidence, energy and a clearer head because your child is feeling better and not in the hospital every other day?

Yup not me! :sarcasm:

I know it always helps me at work to perform better when I have to worry about my kids health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interchangeable with almost every other name going after the top 5 TE's and may have more going for him than most. The Panthers have been using him as a de facto #2 WR the past couple of seasons (his YPC of 12.0 and 12.2 are a cut above most other TE1's averages), and while I think Hixon offers good sleeper potential, I don't see him seriously cutting into Olsen's usage in that sense.

He went in more the TE8-9 range in the PDSLs and SSLs, but if he's really falling to the TE14 range as I'm seeing in current mock drafts, I suspect I'll own him in a league or two.

As with Pitta in Baltimore - whose numbers and rationale I expect to be very similar - I won't reach for the guy, but I'll happily scoop either of them up in the 10th or 11th after most of my fellow owners have dropped 7th- and 8th-round picks at the position that I'll put to better use elsewhere.

Projection: 64 catches, 749 yds (11.7 avg), 6 TD, and a comfortable mid-tier TE1 finish.

Hixons best season ever was about 40 rec, 600 yrds. I'll place my money on Olsen instead
I mean Hixon over any other WR not named Steve Smith as WR2, Olsen will surely be second for Recs on that team

I mean Hixon over any other WR not named Steve Smith as WR2, Olsen will surely be second for Recs on that team
Ahhh, my bad. I over/misinterpreted your statement to mean the emergence of Hixon would mean fewer targets for Olsen.

He sure appears to be criminally undervalued right now. He finished TE6 last year, but would have ranked even higher if his touchdowns had risen along with his receptions. Before last year, he was scoring a touchdown every 9.6 receptions, scoring 5 TDs the previous two years with just 41 and 45 receptions. He caught 69 passes last year and merely matched the 5 from the previous two years. He and Heath Miller had basically the same stat line, save for touchdowns, and Heath finished #4.

Being the primary TE on a team that only ranked 26th in passing attempts last year indicates to me that last year's stat line is a realistic baseline for 2013. I have a hard time imaging Olsen seeing less targets with a new offensive coordinator. If they throw the ball a few more times this year then his targets should go up due to the lack of other receiving options.

110 targets, 70 receptions, 850 yards, 7 TD

Phenix said:

88/1050/11

You're right who can gain confidence, energy and a clearer head because your child is feeling better and not in the hospital every other day?

I know it always helps me at work to perform better when I have to worry about my kids health.
:lmao:

I'm sure the first thoughts that come into Olsen's mind when shedding a defender, looking up and seeing the ball spiraling towards his hands is "kids ok? check. Bills paid? check. Oven turned off? check. Ok, I can catch this one"

Get real.

Phenix said:

88/1050/11

I'm sure the first thoughts that come into Olsen's mind when shedding a defender, looking up and seeing the ball spiraling towards his hands is "kids ok? check. Bills paid? check. Oven turned off? check. Ok, I can catch this one"

Get real.
Life is generally easier with less worry.

I imagine there are countless studies indicating this.

I don't know how much it would help Olsen on any specific sunday, but I am assuring you that if he has less worry in his everyday life it is not going to hurt him.

Phenix said:

88/1050/11

Get real.
Life is generally easier with less worry.

I imagine there are countless studies indicating this.

I don't know how much it would help Olsen on any specific sunday, but I am assuring you that if he has less worry in his everyday life it is not going to hurt him.
I don't think he's arguing that. I think he's arguing with the ridiculous notion that it will somehow make him a more productive football player.

Phenix said:

88/1050/11

Get real.
Life is generally easier with less worry.I imagine there are countless studies indicating this.

I don't think he's arguing that. I think he's arguing with the ridiculous notion that it will somehow make him a more productive football player.
Yeah that was a ridiculous notion. I was laughing at it when I read it also. He's going to "fight harder" for balls? C'mon.

Let's not act like a bunch of children here.

You all know exactly what I'm talking about. After a guy goes through something like almost losing his son he will draw inspiration from it. He works harder in practice, he is able to focus just a fraction more in the film room, he goes home and sleeps well, when he is on the road he doesn't feel like he neglecting his responsibilities or that he should be at home. All those things add up to on field production.

So, can we quit being silly?

You all know exactly what I'm talking about. After a guy goes through something like almost losing his son he will draw inspiration from it. He works harder in practice, he is able to focus just a fraction more in the film room, he goes home and sleeps well, when he is on the road he doesn't feel like he neglecting his responsibilities or that he should be at home. All those things add up to on field production.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. There's a lot that goes into playing on Sunday. The ease of mind should allow more focus in practice which should show up in games. Silly is a nicer word than I would have used.

Did you forget where you are at? You are at a place where children like Ninja play. It is obvious for any person with a child to know what you are saying, they do not have kids if they don't understand. They may say they do to try to defend themselves, but they clearly do not know what peace of mind about your child can do for ones confidence and mind clarity.

Its ridiculous to call yourself a human if you do not see what Borden is trying to say and meant. Funny to think that football players do not have emotions or other things that keep their mind away, regardless if they get paid millions or not.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. There's a lot that goes into playing on Sunday. The ease of mind should allow more focus in practice which should show up in games. Silly is a nicer word than I would have used.
I completely agree.

The people joking about it and claiming it's stupid to think he might perform better when he is not distracted by something so serious sound like teenagers with no life experience.

Having a sick child is a big deal, and can be extremely mentally, physically, and emotionally draining. Having that on your shoulders is NOT conducive to playing up to your potential.

I agree.

I agree.
+1

- Carries a ton of upside so his current ADP is outstanding.

- I think we are not being realistic regarding Chud's departure having no impact - play calling is going to change eventhough Shula was promoted.

- I am not ready to write off an emergence of La Fell in the pecking order. 4th year and Newton is settling down. Carolina is not giving up so we should not either when it comes to projecting targets. Sorry but I don't by the Hixon hype just yet.

- Cam is a threat to his TD numbers every time they are on the field together inside the 30.

60 Receptions

732 yards

5 TD's

That is a reduction in receptions

That maintains his new yards per catch

That maintains his historical TD count (for the most part)

He remains in my Top 10 but I am not as bullish as others that he will break into the top 6. I just don't think the TD numbers are going to be there to help him. I think his floor could be 3 TD's and ceiling could be 8.

He found out around the draft that his unborn son had a congenital heart defect and spent the entire season dealing with it, including a heart surgery when the kid was two days old. With two other young children in the house.

I expect him to be a lot more focused this year.

80/900/8

He found out around the draft that his unborn son had a congenital heart defect and spent the entire season dealing with it, including a heart surgery when the kid was two days old. With two other young children in the house.

I expect him to be a lot more focused this year.

80/900/8
You lost your mind, having a clear focus could not help a player perform better at all, how ridiculous of a notion. :sarcasm:

Although I think it may help, I think the original projections by Borden are a little ridiculous. I believe he had 3 straight years of catching 5 td's a year, now all of a sudden he is going to catch 11 so a team that barely passes the ball? And 88 receptions? Is Steve Smith getting injured or something? Although a healthy son could help him refocus, the numbers that Borden threw out that too much of an increase just because someone can focus on their game more.

Per Rotoworld:

Greg Olsen was walking with a "noticeable limp" following Sunday's loss to the Cardinals.

Olsen was sporting a walking boot on his left foot Monday. It's unclear if this is an ankle or foot injury, but either way it's an injury worth monitoring. We'll know more after Wednesday's practice. Oct 8 - 9:23 AM
Anybody with any more news?

Not sure why Cam is looking less and less his way.

Targets by week:

1: 10
2: 8
3: 8

4: BYE

5: 6
6: 4

7: 4

Why isn't Cam targetting him???

Not sure why Cam is looking less and less his way.

Targets by week:

1: 10

2: 8

3: 8

4: BYE

5: 6

6: 4

7: 4

Why isn't Cam targetting him???
Part normal regression and part being banged up the last two weeks I'd guess. He'll still finish as a bargain lower end TE1 provided the foot thing heals up soon.

So with WR's TBD determined in Carolina, how big a jump does he get for 2014?

Newton (3 year average) - 3,766 passing yards, 21 passing TD's

Olsen career years (2 years - 2012 and 2013) - 71 receptions for 829 yards and 5.5 TD's.

85 receptions, 950 yards, 7 TD's? That would move him up from TE 10-12 to put him somewhere around TE4.

90 receptions, 1050 yards, 9 TD's? That would put him somewhere around TE2.

I worry that if they don't get good enough one he'll be the focus of defenses. Olsen is good enough to beat out a CB2 but not bracket and doubles

Is there any risk of Olson not going this week? He hasn't practiced, but roto world seems convinced he's just "managing a tweaked ankle".

Is there any risk of Olson not going this week? He hasn't practiced, but roto world seems convinced he's just "managing a tweaked ankle".
Rivera said Olsen wasn't going to practice until Friday (today), and he should play this weekend. Check and see if he practices today.

Well, homeboy is currently the #1 TE in my PPR redraft with 120 pts!!!!. I reviewed his stats and he's been extremely consistent (22, 13, 17, 5, 25, 18, 19), and with this year generally being a down one for TE, I think he's being undervalued. (I just offered Cameron and Michael Floyd for him)

White Lightning said:
Well, homeboy is currently the #1 TE in my PPR redraft with 120 pts!!!!. I reviewed his stats and he's been extremely consistent (22, 13, 17, 5, 25, 18, 19), and with this year generally being a down one for TE, I think he's being undervalued. (I just offered Cameron and Michael Floyd for him)
The offer was accepted. I definitely upgraded over Cameron and I THINK that Floyd was expendable (I have J. Jones, Tate, Wallace, Odem, and J Gordon). I am now the proud owner of a former Bear that Lovey should have never traded. Welcome home Mr. Olson.

Users who are viewing this thread