What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Jamaal Charles, RB, Kansas City Chiefs (1 Viewer)

I agree that we are all expecting a top 5 finish for JC, pretty much anything otside of a top 10 finish would be a huge disappointment. But the bad news is hes 26 and turns 27 late this season, and we all know how hard it is to get anything in return for a 27 RB not named Peterson. If you take him or trade for him this yr just remember whatever you give up you will not get back when you but him on the trade block next season; if you get him you'll have to ride him out for the next 3 or 4 yrs or sell super short. Hell, I know people that are having a very hard time trying to sell him now.

Projecting anywhere from 1800-2000 total / 60 Recs / 7 TDs
-Which is why the smart people got him last year. Anyone who couldn't see that he would soon be in a better situation than he was very soon shouldn't be playing FF. Getting reid was the cherry on top.
I must have missed your post last year about Jamaal rushing for 1500 yards after a serious knee injury, then getting a very RB-happy offensive-minded head coach who would trade several second rounders to land a check-down happy QB, as well as knowing that the Chiefs would have the worst record and get the best lineman in the draft.

WHOEVER DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING FANTASY FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

What. A. Dousche.
awesome post BTW

if you were really really really smart, you would of seen all that the day he tore his acl and send a low ball for him then

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that we are all expecting a top 5 finish for JC, pretty much anything otside of a top 10 finish would be a huge disappointment. But the bad news is hes 26 and turns 27 late this season, and we all know how hard it is to get anything in return for a 27 RB not named Peterson. If you take him or trade for him this yr just remember whatever you give up you will not get back when you but him on the trade block next season; if you get him you'll have to ride him out for the next 3 or 4 yrs or sell super short. Hell, I know people that are having a very hard time trying to sell him now.

Projecting anywhere from 1800-2000 total / 60 Recs / 7 TDs
-Which is why the smart people got him last year. Anyone who couldn't see that he would soon be in a better situation than he was very soon shouldn't be playing FF. Getting reid was the cherry on top.
I must have missed your post last year about Jamaal rushing for 1500 yards after a serious knee injury, then getting a very RB-happy offensive-minded head coach who would trade several second rounders to land a check-down happy QB, as well as knowing that the Chiefs would have the worst record and get the best lineman in the draft.

WHOEVER DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING FANTASY FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

What. A. Dousche.
awesome post BTW

if you were really really really smart, you would of seen all that the day he tore his acl and send a low ball for him then
If you would like, I can send you the link showing you where I bought him last year but that's not my point.

All I was saying is that most ff owners recognize the talent and recognize the terrible situation that was occurring last year, similar to what Fitz went through. People knew he was a great buy low candidate.

Post#2 in this thread sums up my take on Charles so what you said today in post #53 is what I said in post #2 in May so maybe I did know back then.

The amount of short dump off passes he gets from Smith is ridiculous. He's in the perfect offense with the perfect QB for fantasy value.

He's doing a lot with them though. 8.4 per catch is pretty solid when you're getting six per receptions per game. On pace for 800 yards receiving and 2000 yards from scrimmage.

Charles may catch 100 passes with Captain Checkdown as the Chiefs QB.

That loud whistling sound in the background is Dwayne Bowe's fantasy value plummeting.

He's doing a lot with them though. 8.4 per catch is pretty solid when you're getting six per receptions per game. On pace for 800 yards receiving and 2000 yards from scrimmage.
His on pace is right around where I've been thinking he'd be all season, slightly higher on TD than I thought. I estimated he'd get about 12 total TDs this season. Right now he's on pace for

2000 total yards (1269 rushing, 805 receiving), 96 receptions and 16 TDs... and truthfully?

He still hasn't actually had a good running day, as of this moment he's averaging almost a full 2 ypc under his career average. I think it's only logical to assume those big runs start coming eventually. When he does it's possible we see this 2000 total on pace increase even higher. I can't seem to find the one post I had but I estimated prior to the season he'd see about 2500 overall yardage and 12 TDs this season. Honestly? So far he's doing better than I even thought he would be at this point. Definitely wasn't expecting 100+ yards and 1 TD every game. He'll have some monster games ahead of him too, if these first 3 games turn out to be his 'average" game and he adds a few monster games on top of them? We may be looking at one of the best fantasy RB seasons in recent memory here... especially in PPR.

the excitement is warranted but let's not get carried away. he has 18 receptions and 3 TDs through 3 games so can't call it average. I expect him to average 5 recs but not a TD per game as he isn't the greatest goal-line back. he has come somewhat close to some awful rushing totals as well, I believe under 20 yards going into the 4th in each of the last two games.

that said, he did miss a half in week 1 which has kept his numbers down. I wouldn't trade him for anyone not named Mccoy or Peterson and then I'd have to at least think about it

the excitement is warranted but let's not get carried away. he has 18 receptions and 3 TDs through 3 games so can't call it average. I expect him to average 5 recs but not a TD per game as he isn't the greatest goal-line back. he has come somewhat close to some awful rushing totals as well, I believe under 20 yards going into the 4th in each of the last two games.

that said, he did miss a half in week 1 which has kept his numbers down. I wouldn't trade him for anyone not named Mccoy or Peterson and then I'd have to at least think about it
There are actual reasons for him not getting many carries early in the games... a lot of it is simply the Andy Reid offensive style. He's a pass first to setup the run type of coach. I will say I'd like to see Alex Smith stop running so fast, it seems like he goes one progression then takes off. Great for Smith's fantasy value but bad for Charles if it ends up getting Smith hurt.

There are actual reasons for him not getting many carries early in the games... a lot of it is simply the Andy Reid offensive style. He's a pass first to setup the run type of coach. I will say I'd like to see Alex Smith stop running so fast, it seems like he goes one progression then takes off. Great for Smith's fantasy value but bad for Charles if it ends up getting Smith hurt.
if they weren't winning vs Dallas and Philly he would not have racked up so many yards late. Agree, both of the last two games Smith has led the team in carries and yards at the half I believe. If he could turn 2 of those wild scrambles a game into more dump-offs to Charles the Chiefs and us Charles owners would be grateful. I don't think I've ever been as excited owning a player

Nothing on this planet short of injury (something all players contend with) will prevent him from being a top 4-5 RB in ppr leagues and he will be in that exclusive tier of players where its those handful of guys and then a big 50-70 point dropoff to the next tier which is still very good but clearly not in the elite company.

No one that knows this game at all will be surprised one bit if he ends up #1 by 20 points.
We are right on track.

Meanwhile, in the Doug Martin Vs. Jamaal Charles thread....

Nothing on this planet short of injury (something all players contend with) will prevent him from being a top 4-5 RB in ppr leagues and he will be in that exclusive tier of players where its those handful of guys and then a big 50-70 point dropoff to the next tier which is still very good but clearly not in the elite company. No one that knows this game at all will be surprised one bit if he ends up #1 by 20 points.
One of the most awesome runs I can remember. What a year

Users who are viewing this thread