What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland Browns (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2013 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question.

Thread Topic: Josh Gordon, WR, Cleveland Browns

Player Page Link: Josh Gordon Player Page

Each article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web
  • FBG Projections
The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate
While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate
While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

• For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
Statement of the obvious, everything about Josh Gordon is contingent on his availability to get on the field.

There are already ‘UNCONFIRMED’ rumors of him failing yet another drug test which (if true) that he would face a year suspension but let me reiterate the most recent rumors are ‘UNCONFIRMED’ so take them with a HUGE GRAIN of salt.

Having gotten that out of the way lets look at the player with the assumption that he will only face the two-game suspension which is confirmed.

Last year Gordon came in late as a supplemental pick who hadn’t played college football in nearly two years so he missed all mini-camps and OTAs and when he arrived, he was out of shape and definitely was out of football shape.

Gordon barely played the first month of his rookie campaign. Here is what he did the first month of his rookie season.

WR Josh Gordon first four games of rookie season:

- 7 receptions

- 93 receiving yards

- 0 REC TDs

Injuries forced Gordon into the starting lineup after the fourth game. This is what he produced he remainder of last year.

WR Josh Gordon’s production over the final 12 games of his rookie season:

- 43 receptions

- 712 receiving yards

- 5 REC TDs

He had solid production even though he did not know the full route tree and had missed all mini-camps and OTAs and wasn’t getting first unit reps in training camp and would not have seen the field had it not been for injuries.

Add, the fact he was working with a rookie QB and a rookie RB and the other starting WR was dealing with issues of drops and he was only in his second year and the O-Line was working in a rookie RT and had to deal with some shuffling from non-standard injuries (blot clot forced starting LG to be placed on IR for season).

This year, he is already in fantastic shape, showed up in great condition and impressed in mini-camps and OTAs. His knowledge of the route tree is improved. He should see improved QB play since Weeden is no longer a rookie and the O-Line should be improved as the RT proved himself as a solid player and is no longer a rookie and the LG is back and playing well. The RB is no longer a rookie and the running game should improve.

Add, Norv Turner’s offense fit’s the strenths of not only Gordon and Weeden but also Trent Richardson and the offensive line.

Once again, IF GORDON is available for the final 14 games of the 2013 season I think his production per game should improve from a little over 3 receptions per game and a tad less than every other two games.

WR Josh Gordon projected numbers for 2013:

- 65 receptions

- 880 yards

- 7 TDs

Really could emerge as a top ten WR eventually but the fact is he's another :2cents: head kind of guy. Lots of drug related issues with now rumors of more drug use and possible year suspension. Hopefully it is unconfirmed. If he stays at the two game suspension I expect when he gets back to become the outright No. 1 WR threat for the Browns.

The other factor is Weeden, what will his progression be like from his rookie season? I don't know if the guy is a franchise QB or not. Maybe he shows some consistency and better decision making in preseason..

Gordon has the potential to be a very very good WR. It sounds from OTA reports and such he's been working out hard in the off season. He'll have training camp to get in sync with Weeden but then will have to sit two regular season games.

I think the emergence is coming but it'll take another season.

54/875/6....which with sitting out two games is on the higher end of thing I think but certainly doable. Call it his ceiling.

Everyone seems to be crediting the Browns with quietly building a solid foundation for a respectable team. Perhaps so. I'm still skeptical. Weeden just did not impress me. Perhaps there's more talent that will be unearthed by the new coaching staff, but I'm on hold with a good part of this offense, including its WRs. If I were to own a Browns WR it would be Gordon and I did have him on two teams last season. Yes, his 2 game suspension is troublesome, but that just lowers the price for the WR1 in his offense...IF you believe in his offense! I don't, but I may own him on a team or 2 as a hedge against my concerns. 50/800 or so yards 4-5 TDs.

He finished with 50 catches, 805 yards, and 5 touchdowns. If his knowledge of the route tree has improved and he can play all 14 games and keep out of trouble I will say...

65, 1000, 6

Users who are viewing this thread