What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players that could get traded mid-season and the fantasy implications (1 Viewer)

mere blitzianity

Footballguy
I know trades during the year are rare, but it does happen from time to time and I think it's worth discussing who the best candidates are. I'll kick it off with a few names:

1) Kenny Britt- he's an UFA at the end of the year and has obviously fallen out of favor with the Titan organization. It's been well documented that he still doesn't look right and is battling knee issues, but maybe someone like the Patriots take a shot on him, given the dearth of WR talent on their roster. The Titans may only get a 6th or 7th round pick for him, but if he gets healthy and is dealt, I could see him being producing somewhere. Maybe the Ravens would be interested?

2) Hakeem Nicks- he's ultra talented, but has a proclivity to get injured and is already dealing with a finger issue. If the Giants continue to lose games, it would behoove them to deal him to a team that needs help at WR. He, unlike Britt, is not a knuckle head and when healthy is quite dominant. Also, with the emergence of Randle and strong likelihood they aren't signing Nicks regardless of his play this year, why not explore trading him? If I was a Reese, and the G-men were say 2-5, it just makes sense to deal him. I have to imagine he could fetch a 3rd or 4th round pick.

what players are you thinking could possibly be moved in the coming weeks before the deadline in Nov?

I'd be shocked if Nicks was dealt.

Unlikely, but plausible - Mark Ingram. It's clear the Saints aren't going to use him, and some team (Indianapolis) could use him this year and still have a final year on his rookie deal to evaluate him in a different offensive scheme without significant financial investment.

Britt is another plausible name. I'd add Denarius Moore as a WR that could be moved.

Honestly though, they're all pretty unlikely.

The bad thing is the way the NFL trade deadline is so early. We can all find some great trades for teams but it never happens like it does in baseball

Ryan Williams, Ingram, Britt are my top choices. Freeman is sneaky play if contending team has QB injury with no viable backup prior to deadline.

Barring future injury to current players, where could any RB be traded to and have fantasy implications?

LeShoure... Josh Freeman... Kenny Britt are the only three I can "really" see. Freeman and LeShoure being the 1a and 1b of the group.

Wouldn't the Giants and the Colts represent teams where a currently under/un-used RB could turn into a fantasy relevant player.

I don't know about contract status but: Leshoure, Ingram, Hillis, Tolbert, Blount, Gerhart, and Ryan Williams all could feasibly prosper in a change of scenery.

I know trades during the year are rare, but it does happen from time to time and I think it's worth discussing who the best candidates are. I'll kick it off with a few names:

1) Kenny Britt- he's an UFA at the end of the year and has obviously fallen out of favor with the Titan organization. It's been well documented that he still doesn't look right and is battling knee issues, but maybe someone like the Patriots take a shot on him, given the dearth of WR talent on their roster. The Titans may only get a 6th or 7th round pick for him, but if he gets healthy and is dealt, I could see him being producing somewhere. Maybe the Ravens would be interested?

2) Hakeem Nicks- he's ultra talented, but has a proclivity to get injured and is already dealing with a finger issue. If the Giants continue to lose games, it would behoove them to deal him to a team that needs help at WR. He, unlike Britt, is not a knuckle head and when healthy is quite dominant. Also, with the emergence of Randle and strong likelihood they aren't signing Nicks regardless of his play this year, why not explore trading him? If I was a Reese, and the G-men were say 2-5, it just makes sense to deal him. I have to imagine he could fetch a 3rd or 4th round pick.

what players are you thinking could possibly be moved in the coming weeks before the deadline in Nov?
I'd say there is as close to zero as possible of a chance that Nicks gets traded during the season.

As others have stated the nature of football and the earlier trade deadline makes it much less conducive for in season deals and even at 2-5 the Giants will not be out of contention in the NFC East, which is shaping up as one of the worst in football. Under Coughlin, NYG has made 2 late season runs to win the Super Bowl with regular season records of 10-6 and 9-7. You honestly think they would be ready, at 2-5, to move a player that could help them win now for a draft pick? Not a chance.

Secondly, what team is going to trade a 3rd or 4th rounder for a guy with a injury history, who you have to sign to a new contract, and who is only guaranteed to be on your roster for half of a season? NFL teams value draft picks to highly to take on that risk.

Lastly, WR is one of the tougher positions to come in mid season and make an impact. I can only think of one WR in NFL history who was traded during the season who had any impact whatsoever and that was Brandon Lloyd who went from Denver to the Rams and was already familiar with McDaniels offense.

I think RB is the much more likely position where an in season trade to a team dealing with injuries or other issues may make sense.

The bad thing is the way the NFL trade deadline is so early. We can all find some great trades for teams but it never happens like it does in baseball
didn't the NFL move it's trade deadline from week 4 to week 6 this year? Something about the new CBA

I can see MArk Ingram. Market and motivation on both sides.

I can't see LeShoure. I think the Lions know that Reggie Bush might not be able to go 16 games in any season. Its just a realistic concern and they got stung pretty bad a few years ago when they lost Best and had to patch things up.

Britt would have a market as a FA but I don't think anyone is buying him at much of any price.

No QB is getting traded with the idea to start. Too much to learn in the middle of a season and, honestly, if you're that desperate for a QB, then you need to be looking at Bridgewater, not some QB some other team doesn't want. Sorry Freeman owners, he may get benched but he isn't starting somewhere else this season.

Its the thing i like the least about the NFL; there is rarely any trade juice going on. I think if there are any trades, it is probably a Defensive end here for a corner or LB there or something like that.

The one scenario that might be able to buck the trend: Let's say a team like the Giants just got stupid squirly and put in a call to Seattle and asked about Michael or Turbin.

Leshoure?

Nicks trade seems unpossible. Trade deadline is way too early.
Bump thread, I think leshoure has a chanceCards

Giants

Browns

Jets

Jaguars
Unlikely. One, he's bad. So even if he got traded, it wouldn't matter. Two, he is really cheap right now for the Lions. He's still on his rookie contract and he knows the playbook. Given that he's not going to fetch much of anything (6th or 7th rounder??), why would they trade him when Bush has already gotten hurt? After 2011, I think Detroit is the last team that will be trading away RB depth. Kevin Smith went from his couch to the starting lineup in like 5 days that year.

Leshoure?

Nicks trade seems unpossible. Trade deadline is way too early.
Bump thread, I think leshoure has a chanceCards

Giants

Browns

Jets

Jaguars
Unlikely. One, he's bad. So even if he got traded, it wouldn't matter. Two, he is really cheap right now for the Lions. He's still on his rookie contract and he knows the playbook. Given that he's not going to fetch much of anything (6th or 7th rounder??), why would they trade him when Bush has already gotten hurt? After 2011, I think Detroit is the last team that will be trading away RB depth. Kevin Smith went from his couch to the starting lineup in like 5 days that year.
I don't know, what makes him so bad? I mean, he had 800 yards rushing in 14 games, scored 9tds and caught 35 passes. Sure YPC is 3.7, but he was coming off an injury. It would matter if he was traded, considering he was a legit rb2 last year and he's 23 I can't see how that sounds ridiculous. Teams say they won't trade guys, because they hope another team will pay more. This is a scenario that could change in a heartbeat. If they viewed him as insurance why piss him off and not try to work him in and keep him motivated and in age shape?

LeShoure straight up for Nicks.

Would make sense for both teams. Would hate to be the team to try to defend Nicks and Megatron.

LeShoure would be the exact power back to complement Wilson's fumbling running style.

LeShoure straight up for Nicks.

Would make sense for both teams. Would hate to be the team to try to defend Nicks and Megatron.

LeShoure would be the exact power back to complement Wilson's fumbling running style.
The value isn't even close on that.

Why not Joique Bell for a WR? Reggie Bush is the clear #1 with the big money deal and Leshoure is there as a solid backup. Bell is a 27 year old RB who bounced around teams practice squads for years before signing a one year deal this year with the Lions. Everyone wants to suggest moving Leshoure but I think he doesn't have the value as Joique Bell does and can see a running back needy team being more interested in Bell then Leshoure at this point

Rotoworld:

Profootballtalk reports the Redskins are "aggressively shopping" Fred Davis.
PFT had a similar report last Monday. The trade deadline is Tuesday at 4 PM ET. The Redskins would likely take anything for Davis at this point. He's been a healthy inactive the past two weeks. PFT adds that if the Redskins can't deal Davis, there's a chance they'd cut him. Davis would be subject to waivers if that happened. Davis can catch the ball, so if you own him in deep fantasy leagues, it might be worth holding onto him to see if he gets out of D.C.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Users who are viewing this thread