What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players yet to have their best FF season (1 Viewer)

Sarlakticacid

Footballguy
List one player you think will have their best season, besides rookies of course.

For me it’s Nick Chubb. The team will lean on him this season due to QB situation. Stefanski will realize his error trying to throw teams out of stacking the box and over correct that this year. Team seemed to be all in on this and next season. He got paid last year and has a good Oline still.

What have you got?

Providing Staffords elbow stays in place......Allen Robinson

Providing Staffords elbow stays in place......Allen Robinson

I am excited for Robinson this year as well but I do not see him topping his 2015 season.
I was going to say the same thing. I don't see him beating 80 rec for 1400 yds and 14 TD's. But I do think he puts up something around 80 catches/1200 yds/10 TD's

Agree on Pittman. I think Matt Ryan makes him the centerpiece of the passing offense and hyper targets him.

I'll say Akers. I know, pretty easy to top a half injured late-start rookie season, and a return-from-Achilles injury season. But McVay wants him to be the lead back, LA has plenty enough passing offense to take the pressure off him to be a 25 carry bellcow, he shouldn't face any stacked boxes, he can catch passes in space rather than try to bulldoze lineman every touch. I could see a RB10 finish for him this year which would tickle just about all fantasy owners.

Kyle Pitts

He will probably be great for years to come, but I could see this season being a career high in targets. Next year Ridley returns and Drake London gets a full season and off season under his belt. If ATL continues to stock offensive cupboard with Ridder and Algier becoming more prominent, I could see this being the high ceiling for Pitts.

My entire stable of TEs. Would love to see Schultz blow past his numbers from last year, and I think there's a good chance that he will. Feel free to join in, Everett and Trautman.

I'm going to roll with pretty much anybody on the Giants... mostly Daniel Jones....I think Daboll moves the needle....enough to make several of them FF relevant....decent schedule
Gabriel Davis
Lazard
Irv Smith-Osborn
Mo Allie Cox
Everett
Sutton

The fun in this thread is to find a player who has been in the league quite a while. Entering his 9th season, he has played the same position on the same team and has missed only 2 games in 8 years. Derek Carr will have his best season to date.

I like the Chubb call. Feels like he's been on the verge of a Derrick Henry like season. One year things could fall in place and the workload finally matches the talent.
Chase Edmonds for me. We've seen him flash for a couple games at a time as a good receiver and efficient runner, even without getting workhorse touches. I like his chances to put it together after Miami made him a priority add for their improving offense. He still won't be a workhorse, but Ekeler-like usage is on the table imo.

The fun in this thread is to find a player who has been in the league quite a while. Entering his 9th season, he has played the same position on the same team and has missed only 2 games in 8 years. Derek Carr will have his best season to date.
Could definitely see that happening. The question is, will it be enough to make him a usable fantasy starter? I'm not sure he's ever really been one.

Carr is a good pick for those that like to wait as long as possible for a QB and just load up on the other positions. Adding a top 5 wr can't hurt his chances.

Could definitely see that happening. The question is, will it be enough to make him a usable fantasy starter? I'm not sure he's ever really been one.
QB's who have thrown at least 67% completion percentage the last 4 seasons - Derek Carr
QB's who have thrown at least 4040 yards the last 4 seasons - Tom Brady and Derek Carr

QB's who have thrown at least 67% completion percentage the last 4 seasons - Derek Carr
QB's who have thrown at least 4040 yards the last 4 seasons - Tom Brady and Derek Carr
Does your league give points for completion percentage?

And from a fantasy standpoint, passing yards aren't all that important. I seem to remember a year where Eli had more than 5K yards and still finished as a low-end QB1. The only things that really launch a guy into the top tier are TDs and rushing yards.

I don't have anything against Carr as a QB. He's fine. But generally speaking, you can stream a low-end QB1, so your goal when you draft should always be to get a Top 6 guy. Maybe the addition of Adams and McDaniels gives him that potential this year, but I'm in "believe it when I see it" mode.

Agree on Pittman. I think Matt Ryan makes him the centerpiece of the passing offense and hyper targets him.

I'll say Akers. I know, pretty easy to top a half injured late-start rookie season, and a return-from-Achilles injury season. But McVay wants him to be the lead back, LA has plenty enough passing offense to take the pressure off him to be a 25 carry bellcow, he shouldn't face any stacked boxes, he can catch passes in space rather than try to bulldoze lineman every touch. I could see a RB10 finish for him this year which would tickle just about all fantasy owners.
Is this true? Everything I've heard locally (SoCal) is that they want to give Henderson more than a handful of carries every game. And I expect the rookie Kyren Williams to get some run, too.... especially on passing downs.

David Njoku
Do you think he can have a career year with Jacoby Brisset at QB or are you thinking 2023?
With Brisset or not. He outplayed Hooper the last 2 years and has less competition this season than last. He will be the top TE in Cleveland. 56-639-4 is his best. Except for Cooper and the Rb's they have nobody proven to catch the ball. More targets, more receptions and probably Td's too.

Elijah Moore. J. Waddle. Renfrow. we're just scratching the surface with these. Anyone thinking that Davante Adams' arrival in LV is going to push Renfrow aside needs to take a look at Wes Welker's career best seasons in NE. hint: they came at the time that Moss arrived. Renfrow is going to absolutely kill it this season he's a better Julian Edelman. What's that you say, Waller is back and will also steal Renfrow's thunder? go look at Welker's numbers with Moss and some guy named Gronkowski. Did you watch the Raiders HOF game? did you notice how much that offense looked like the Patriots' offense? avoid Renfrow at your own risk.
Moore and Waddle are in the same boat, the arrival of Hill in Miami and Garrett Wilson in NY will not hamper Moore and Waddle's stats.Both are special talents and will succee with the additional WRs on their rosters.

Going with the idea that picking an older veteran is more fun, I am going to say Mike Evans. Nobody is having a career year without staying healthy, but if he can he has a chance to light it up. Yeah I know he is already nursing a hammy.

Does your league give points for completion percentage?

And from a fantasy standpoint, passing yards aren't all that important. I seem to remember a year where Eli had more than 5K yards and still finished as a low-end QB1. The only things that really launch a guy into the top tier are TDs and rushing yards.

I don't have anything against Carr as a QB. He's fine. But generally speaking, you can stream a low-end QB1, so your goal when you draft should always be to get a Top 6 guy. Maybe the addition of Adams and McDaniels gives him that potential this year, but I'm in "believe it when I see it" mode.
This thread is titled "Players yet to have their best FF season". I put my emphasis on "their", and I do think this will be Carr's best FF season ever. The thread is not asking who will or will not be a fantasy starter. FWIW, I also think Geno Smith may have his best FF season - it doesn't mean I will roster him.

Going with the idea that picking an older veteran is more fun, I am going to say Mike Evans. Nobody is having a career year without staying healthy, but if he can he has a chance to light it up. Yeah I know he is already nursing a hammy.
Just watching him toast everyone in the playoffs last year. He could go 100+ and a TD every week!!

I feel like its cheating to say anybody in their 2nd or 3rd season, but that also makes it a tough question to answer. I'll go with an established stud who is considered more of a "safe pick" than a true ceiling pick.

I think Stefon Diggs could finish as the WR1 and have a career season. I feel like both he and Josh Allen somewhat underachieved last year, based on the how aggressive the offense was, and how many targets Diggs got. Diggs was far below career efficiency norms, and Allen's completion % and YPA dropped quite a bit. With Beasley and Sanders gone, I wonder if Diggs gets used a little more in the slot, and/or downfield, just more varied usage in general.

Diggs has had 166 and 164 targets the last 2 seasons, and there is no reason to expect that to change. Diggs finished last season with 10 TD's, 7 of which came in the 2nd half of the season, and he had a very low 63% catch rate (lowest since his rookie season) he's averaged 69% in his career. Don't get me wrong, I have Diggs at WR4 like most do, but I think his path to WR1 isn't that farfetched, he simply needs to merge his late 2021 TD scoring with his 2020 efficiency.

I will go with another oldie. This player is entering his 9th season. His only top 10 finish came in 2015, perhaps because he was playing with a QB named Peyton Manning. Since the start of 2016, his QB's have finished 25, 29, 19, 32, 23, and 23. The player is Brandon McManus.

Saquon Barkely.

Best season was his rookie year. He had just over 1300 rushing yards, 91 catches and just over 700 receiving yards. 15 total touchdowns.

I think he goes well over 2000 total yards, and over 15 total tds. I don't think he catches 90 passes but 70 to 80.

Kyle Pitts

He will probably be great for years to come, but I could see this season being a career high in targets. Next year Ridley returns and Drake London gets a full season and off season under his belt. If ATL continues to stock offensive cupboard with Ridder and Algier becoming more prominent, I could see this being the high ceiling for Pitts.
Haha pretty obvious one that Pitts will have his best season yet.

I like this call. His yardage totals have been remarkably consistent in the 1150-1200 range over the last few years, but I think he takes a meaningful step forward in all stat categories, notably TDs, this year. Mayfield may not be a world beater, but I think can get Moore the ball plenty.

5 weeks in and looks like there are some good picks. Some not so good too. But plenty of season left.
If they just stopped playing the games for real rather than on paper, we'd be so much better at this.

5 weeks in and with accumulated knowledge, looks like we can add Josh Jacobs to this list

Users who are viewing this thread