What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff Scenario - What would you do? (1 Viewer)

This thread really has nothing to do with that....everybody gets what they are trying to accomplish and it will in all likelihood work out for them.....the core of this thread is that the NFL potentially put two teams in a position where not winning or losing the game is beneficial to both teams.....and if IND loses and this game does happen to be close at the end of regulation, it could have an affect on how they play the game out....let alone if it goes into a 10 min overtime....the question is should the NFL have done this?.....IMO, no....this game should have been played at the same time as the JAC-IND game.....wonder what they wold have done if IND was playing what people consider a “tougher” game....I doubt they make this change....and thats also part of the issue...
Maybe I'm being too pessimistic here, but I really doubt the NFL even considered this. I assume they went straight to: "What's the best game to put on SNF?"

It was set up that way until they decided to flex it.....they created their own potential problem....they could have left it damn well alone but want to be greedy and try to make the SNF game relevant....
This is setting up to be amazing.  Here's the thing we never thought about though... Aren't the raiders in no matter what?  If Jax does win, it looks like Vegas makes the playoffs no matter what, so why would they agree to tie?  It does nothing for them.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Hypothetically, if they tie which team faces KC? 
If either wins they play the bills or pats, right? 
that is probably enough to make me play to win. 

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

The #Raiders and #Chargers are in the playoffs with a tie, thanks to the #Colts loss. Will this change LAC’s approach? “We’re going to compete as a team to the best of our ability,” coach Brandon Staley texted me. So, game on.

4:47 PM · Jan 9, 2022

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

The #Raiders and #Chargers are in the playoffs with a tie, thanks to the #Colts loss. Will this change LAC’s approach? “We’re going to compete as a team to the best of our ability,” coach Brandon Staley texted me. So, game on.

4:47 PM · Jan 9, 2022
Poor choice if serious 

Let's assume the Bills win today.

If Miami beats NE and the Raiders WIN:
PIT@KC
NE@BUF
LVR@CIN

If Miami beats NE and the Raiders TIE:
LVR@KC
LAC@BUF
NE@CIN

If Miami beats NE and the Raiders LOSE:
PIT@KC
LAC@BUF
NE@CIN

If NE beats Miami and the Raiders WIN:
PIT@KC
LVR@BUF
NE@CIN

If NE beats Miami and the Raiders TIE:
LVR@KC
LAC@BUF
NE@CIN

If NE beats Miami and the Raiders LOSE:
PIT@KC
LAC@BUF
NE@CIN

Like either of the Chargers or Raiders would play for a freakin tie. Win and you’re in. Simple as that. Doesn’t look like there’s a scenario where losing let’s either LAC or LVR into the playoffs though. 

Like either of the Chargers or Raiders would play for a freakin tie. Win and you’re in. Simple as that. Doesn’t look like there’s a scenario where losing let’s either LAC or LVR into the playoffs though. 
But a tie let's both in ......

Right. I think the only thing this affects is whether a team takes the extra risk If the opportunity presents itself. 
Hypothetically, if they get to the same situation the Steelers were, 4th and long, 2 minutes left in OT, I think they punt. 
but that’s about it really. 

your team is NOT responsible for the performance of others.

100% ok w both teams kneeling. they got themselves to this point. can guarantee playoffs and NO injuries.

do it.

I can imagine Roger going ballistic if the game starts with both teams kneeling. The phone calls would be coming in fast and furious to both owners! 

IT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! 

ETA - I think there is less than 1% chance it happens. 

Last edited by a moderator:
how many headlines would be discussing how "unamerican" it was to kneel the game away?

serious question. 

It's a fun to think about, but surely nobody thinks this would actually happen, right?

The chances seem like they would be literally zero. 

Even on the less than 0.01% chance one of the teams seriously considered it and thought there was a way to pull it off, it's still a bit of a prisoner's dilemma. No team is taking a chance of getting duped by the other in such an agreement. 

Show some balls coaches.  Honestly, you both get in.  Do the unorthodox.  Purposely tie.  

Honestly bad decision on both teams part if they dont openly discuss it.  

I think its gutless to just play like normal.  That's the easy way out.

The fallout of loss is probably easier to deal with than the fallout of a kneelfest.  Be a man coaches!!!

odds for a tie (13.00) haven't moved since the end of the 1pm games for me, on bet365
Weird. The bookmakers must know something. 

There anything in the CBA against intentional ties? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread