What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pool Table Guys: Advice (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
I have an American Heritage collection pool table (slate, 3 piece... brown, claw foot).  Moving to new home to be closer to grandkids. The only place for the table in the new home is on the second floor.  Bought new in 2009, felt is camel color (but I may change during rebuild at new location). Fairly lightly played on... only when out of town company visits. 

Similar to the one shown here

The kids want me to bring it to the new house but I worry about the weight (~800 lbs). I've been reading about alternatives to slate (Permaslate, MDF, etc.)

A professional player would know the difference in the surface but I'm not sure if novice players would feel any difference.  It would make the table considerably lighter without the slate.  

Or would replacing the heavy slate be a mistake?  Anyone have any experience with permaslate or another alternative to slate?  

My wife wants me to part with it but probably because she can't beat me. But if someone was interested, I'd certainly let it go and do something else in the new house.  TIA

I have an American Heritage collection pool table (slate, 3 piece... brown, claw foot).  Moving to new home to be closer to grandkids. The only place for the table in the new home is on the second floor.  Bought new in 2009, felt is camel color (but I may change during rebuild at new location). Fairly lightly played on... only when out of town company visits. 

Similar to the one shown here

The kids want me to bring it to the new house but I worry about the weight (~800 lbs). I've been reading about alternatives to slate (Permaslate, MDF, etc.)

A professional player would know the difference in the surface but I'm not sure if novice players would feel any difference.  It would make the table considerably lighter without the slate.  

Or would replacing the heavy slate be a mistake?  Anyone have any experience with permaslate or another alternative to slate?  

My wife wants me to part with it but probably because she can't beat me. But if someone was interested, I'd certainly let it go and do something else in the new house.  TIA
I have one just like this.  I don't have experience with the permaslate or MDF, but my limited knowledge tells me that slate holds up the best over time.  

That's about all I think I know on the topic.  Mine is also lightly played and I have had it for over 6 years.  It still plays the same as when I had it installed.  I would just be concerned that you might start to get some defects or low spots with the other products, especially MDF.

Also, depending on the "abuse" it might take from kids, bad play, dropped balls, etc, slate likely holds up the best.  

Just my  :2cents:

I have one just like this.  I don't have experience with the permaslate or MDF, but my limited knowledge tells me that slate holds up the best over time.  

That's about all I think I know on the topic.  Mine is also lightly played and I have had it for over 6 years.  It still plays the same as when I had it installed.  I would just be concerned that you might start to get some defects or low spots with the other products, especially MDF.

Also, depending on the "abuse" it might take from kids, bad play, dropped balls, etc, slate likely holds up the best.  

Just my  :2cents:

Thanks. I feel the same way.  They won't be allowed to take drinks upstairs so hopefully no water damage.  I know the slate is the best option for play and longevity.  And I've thought of putting plywood pieces under legs/feet of the table (a rug will cover them up) to help distribute weight.  My wife just doesn't want it up there with the slate.  I understand her point.  The permaslate was the alternative she'd go for.   

Why does she not want the heavy slate table upstairs?  Does she worry about the structure of the house holding the weight? If this is the case why are you buying this house?  Or does she simply not want the burden of moving such a heavy item?

Why does she not want the heavy slate table upstairs?  Does she worry about the structure of the house holding the weight? If this is the case why are you buying this house?  Or does she simply not want the burden of moving such a heavy item?

The house is a new build.  She's worried about constant weight on the four legs in a single spot bearing weight on a non-slab floor.  It's currently on a slab in our current house. it's the builder's fault.  He told her he wouldn't advice putting a pool table up there.  I think it will be fine but I'd still shore up the weight with wood to disperse the weight. 

I can't answer the slate question, but whatever you wind up doing, make sure that you put it slightly to close to a wall in it's new home so that you have to get one of those tiny minus sticks to use.  They are fun and always make me feel like a giant playing pool for ants. 

I can't answer the slate question, but whatever you wind up doing, make sure that you put it slightly to close to a wall in it's new home so that you have to get one of those tiny minus sticks to use.  They are fun and always make me feel like a giant playing pool for ants. 

The maestro!  

I would have more concerns over the fact that my builder thinks that 800 pounds is too much for the structure he built.  

Absolutely don't put extra plywood down to help "distribute the weight".  If the home was built correctly, then there will be tongue and groove plywood already put down that is already doing that job for you underneath whatever finished floor you have installed.  All additional plywood will do is add additional weight.

I would have more concerns over the fact that my builder thinks that 800 pounds is too much for the structure he built.  

Absolutely don't put extra plywood down to help "distribute the weight".  If the home was built correctly, then there will be tongue and groove plywood already put down that is already doing that job for you underneath whatever finished floor you have installed.  All additional plywood will do is add additional weight.
This, X1000

The house is a new build.  She's worried about constant weight on the four legs in a single spot bearing weight on a non-slab floor.  It's currently on a slab in our current house. it's the builder's fault.  He told her he wouldn't advice putting a pool table up there.  I think it will be fine but I'd still shore up the weight with wood to disperse the weight. 
I would have immediately accused him of not building up to code. No other reason for him to suggest this. 

Yeah, that's such a strange thing for a builder to say. Can you put a dresser? Entertainment center? A bed? Is there a limit to furniture and/or people he's suggesting?

I'd consider digging into why he's saying this, getting an independent inspector, talking to someone because that's really weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's such a strange thing for a builder to say. Can you put a dresser? Entertainment center? A bed? Is there a limit to furniture and/or people he's suggesting?

I'd consider digging into why he's saying this, getting an independent inspector, talking to someone because that's really weird.

Hmm, I didn't actually hear him say it.  It's what she said that he told her.  I'm starting to think she's trying to bamboozle me.  

No offense, but the bolded is not true. There's a reason you see heavy equipment with padded outriggers - it's to distribute the point load. I've never seen anyone add plywood for something like what the OP is doing, but the engineering backs up distributing the load helps. Plus, plywood weighs almost nothing - the additional weight is negligible.

When I was designing floors for residential living spaces, I used 55 psf. Someone above posted an article mentioning 30/40/50 psf, which meets code in many places but which can also produce some bounce with heavy items on them.

If the table is 5x9 and weighs 800 lbs, you're producing about 18 psf from that item. 

Users who are viewing this thread