What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pop up virus? (1 Viewer)

Don't Noonan

Footballguy
My daughter's laptop keeps having pop ups come up and does not allow her to surf the internet. I assume some kind of virus is causing this. I ran malewarebytes but it didn't fix the problem. I tried to download combo fix but was unable to because of the pop ups. I tried to boot in safe mode with networking but internet would not work.

Any suggestions?

Combofix.exe

I just had something similar happen on my home PC. Only stipulation is you have to disable any security scanning software first. I downloaded the file on another computer and put it on a flash drive. The stupid malware was then recognizing it and re-naming it so it didn't work. Had to boot up in safe mode and switch to the USB port and then run combofix

Last edited by a moderator:
I literally spent two hours or so on dealing with this with my son's computer. They same son who I had instructed specifically not to download anything without asking me first. The same son who listened to his friend who assured him that the Minecraft mod download was safe. ARGHGHHHGHGHGHGHH!

I was stuck with something called a PC Optimizer Pro and it wouldn't even let me get access to the desktop to follow the instructions at the link below. So, not being a techie...I had to figure out how to boot up in safemode on a windows 8 machine, etc. But, the same rules should apply.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pc-optimizer-pro-virus/

I would go into the programs folder and sort the files that were downloaded by date. Uninstall all the recent crap that you can't recognize. Then what I did after that was do a system restore to about a week or so ago. Ran the Adwscreener and the Malwarebytes and then cleaned up the Google Chrome browser with all the junk it put in there. Working great now.

(1) Reboot computer and start computer in 'safe' mode.

(2) Search for and run 'system restore' from the most recent date that the problem was not there.

I rebooted in safe mode and tried system restore. However, the earliest version was December of 2014, after virus was already on.

I can't get on footballguys without multiple popups and not able to access safe mode with networking. I guess I will need to buy a flash drive. Not confident how to download on a flash drive but I will deal with that when I get to it.

Shooting from the hip, but go into Task Scheduler and you'll probably find some nefarious stuff to delete/disable. Typically you'll see things in there like Google and Adobe updates (and maybe some Intel/Dell/HP garden variety BS). Disable everything in there and see if it helps.

I assume you are running Windows 7/8.x.

Taking a step back - For internet surfing from home, VirtualBox and Linux Mint is the way to go. If you know nothing about this, you can learn everything you need to know and get this up and running in less than two hours with the help of youtube.

VirtualBox/LinuxMint probably deserves its own thread.

Combofix.exe

I just had something similar happen on my home PC. Only stipulation is you have to disable any security scanning software first. I downloaded the file on another computer and put it on a flash drive. The stupid malware was then recognizing it and re-naming it so it didn't work. Had to boot up in safe mode and switch to the USB port and then run combofix
I bought a flash drive and was going to download combofix on it but combofix doesn't work on windows 8. Any other suggestions?

I am on bleeping computer.com and trying to download AdwCleaner or Rkill but not sure how to download onto flash drive. No option comes up that asks me where to download. Do I download onto my main computer first and then copy it some how?

I am on bleeping computer.com and trying to download AdwCleaner or Rkill but not sure how to download onto flash drive. No option comes up that asks me where to download. Do I download onto my main computer first and then copy it some how?
Download it to your computer. Most likely your download folder is where it will go.

Then copy and paste it to your thumb drive. Then copy and paste it from your thumbdrive to your computer. Then run the file. I would think that that should do it.

Download it to your computer. Most likely your download folder is where it will go.

Then copy and paste it to your thumb drive. Then copy and paste it from your thumbdrive to your computer. Then run the file. I would think that that should do it.
ok thanks! I will try this now

A thumbdrive basically works like a floppy drive you plug into a USB port. Plug it into the USB port, the computer should recognize it, then just copy and paste the file onto it just like you would a floppy or CD drive.

On windows 8, where do I find my download folder?

One other tip as you are removing the crap that's on there (I've been successful doing through the control panel and checking what is currently running on task manager) is to get off the internet while you're removing the programs. I understand some can get right back on if you've got a live connection. Pull the cable or turn off the wifi.

Check out this link to my laptop screen shot.

Do you have the folder on your bottom task bar to the right of my internet explorer icon?

http://snag.gy/R1nqt.jpg

Download it to your computer. Most likely your download folder is where it will go.Then copy and paste it to your thumb drive. Then copy and paste it from your thumbdrive to your computer. Then run the file. I would think that that should do it.
Check out this link to my laptop screen shot.Do you have the folder on your bottom task bar to the right of my internet explorer icon?

http://snag.gy/R1nqt.jpg
Thanks, I googled and found out Microsoft E takes you to the screenshot above. I tried to download rkill in safe mode but it said it requires internet connection. Not able to get safe mode with networking so I tried to run in normal mode, not happening with all the pop ups. I may have to hire some one to get rid of this. Ugh

I was able to download AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes while in safemode. Can't speak to Rkill though.

Combofix.exe

I bought a flash drive and was going to download combofix on it but combofix doesn't work on windows 8. Any other suggestions?
Yes it does.....but anyway...download Emsisoft Emergency Kit and put it on the jump drive. It is available at emsisoft's site or bleeping computer.

(There's garbage combofix versions that are NOT from bleeping computer. If you didn't get yours there, delete it.)

Run emergency kit, click next and follow it's prompts to remove anything. After reboot, don't try to access the web. Run EEK again and this time let it update. That'll be your cue it can connect to the web. Again, follow prompts to delete and reboot as it says.

Now run combofix.

Go to glarysoft.com and get glary utilities. Run one click maintenance, "repair" as it says and reboot....again.

Now run glary utilities and look for startup manager. Uncheck any box that has hogwash you don't want. Also note you do not need to update 50 programs at startup, almost every program does it's own update check when the program itself starts so this is unnecessary at startup. Click on Internet Explorer assistant. Delete (not disable) every single stinkin toolbar and BHO that has been added to IE.

Reboot now that everything is unchecked and run 1 click maintenance again in Glary Utilities. It'll find more.

You should be fine now.

If you have reservations you can run rkill or adwcleaner or even go find the old smitfraud program which can be useful still.

Download Aviator browser and tell her to use that from now on...safest browser on the web.

And don't use windows 8. The upgrade to 8.1 is free and it's safer and better. When you have time some weekend, upgrade. Don't forget Windows D will get you to the desktop. IObit.com has a startup menu that will make it look like windows 7 programs menu. They also have an uninstall program which is real good for deleting excess garbage that's left after you remove a program.

Users who are viewing this thread