What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Popular Movies You've Never Seen (1 Viewer)

No desire to see

Any Star Wars except the original
Star Trek (Any)
LOTR (Any)
Mad Max (Any)
Matrix (Any)
Slumdog
Good, Bad, Ugly
High Noon
Any westerns, really...
There are about 100 period pieces that my wife watches that I know would bore the bejesus out of me (i.e. Sense and Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, and the like)

Haven't seen but would like to:

Casablanca
Taxi Driver
Streetcar
On the Waterfront
Chinatown

Wish I'd never seen from the last 10 years or so:

Birdman
Moonlight
Fences

I haven't see any horror movies since like Blair Witch.  Pretty much since my wife and I started dating 21 years ago.  

I've never seen Dirty Dancing. Not super popular I guess, but it seems to be ubiquitous in terms of pop culture references that assume everyone has seen it.
I've spent so much time quoting 80's movies that people are surprised if I've missed any.  Welp, I still haven't seen Dirty Dancing, Pretty in Pink or Ghost.  I still sleep OK. 

some people have never seen any movie at all because they lack access to a movie theater look all i am saying is for the just the cost of a cup of cofee a day you could help someone see sisterhood of the traveling pants and that my friends will be a legacy your kids will be proud of take that to the bank bromigos

i do not like to go out to movies but i do like to watch them at home with my lady so i just wait until they come out on beta and then i see them take that to the bank bromigos 

Here's my question:  Most of these are fairly recent.  How much of this is attributable to movie tickets costing 10x what they cost when were growing up in the 80s or even 90s?
Intuitively obvious, no?
Not really... since they can be seen 4 months later on either a streaming service, cable/satellite or rental.  I'd say the obvious reason is that there a a lot more alternatives now.  I'd rather binge watch a decent TV show than watch a semi-interesting newer release.

Inflation adjusted:

1Gone with the Wind$3,640,000,0001939

2Avatar$3,196,000,0002009

3TitanicT$3,026,000,0001997

4Star Wars$2,989,000,0001977

5The Sound of Music$2,503,000,0001965

6E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial$2,444,000,0001982

7The Ten Commandments$2,314,000,0001956

8Doctor Zhivago$2,193,000,0001965

9Jaws$2,145,000,0001975

10Star Wars: The Force AwakensTFA$2,103,000,0002015

Not really... since they can be seen 4 months later on either a streaming service, cable/satellite or rental.  I'd say the obvious reason is that there a a lot more alternatives now.  I'd rather binge watch a decent TV show than watch a semi-interesting newer release.
And yet it still holds.  Surely it can't be the inflation factor.

I have not seen Titanic or Avatar. 

The former is a hard pass.....the latter, I just missed it for so long I figure I get more pleasure out of telling people I never saw it (especially combined with Titanic as two top grossing movies) than I would get out of watching it. 

Also I can come up with plausible explanations for the others- don't like the genre or style, too old, too long, just never got around to it, etc.  None of that applies to Shawshank, which doesn't really fit a genre other than "drama", isn't really that old or that long, and is on cable TV pretty much 24/7.
I had not seen Shawshank until very recently. Maybe it was all the hype and build up that it was one of the Top 5 movies of all time, but I only thought it was good but not great and certainly not in the best ever category.

Same. Sometimes they get good reviews so I try them (Avengers, Deadpool, Wonder Woman, Black Panther) and every single time I'm disappointed.  I just don't get the appeal at all.
cartoons. although deadpool is the most tolerable.

"hey, a portal from another world opened up and CGI things are battling each other in the air AND on the ground!"  :yawn:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had not seen Shawshank until very recently. Maybe it was all the hype and build up that it was one of the Top 5 movies of all time, but I only thought it was good but not great and certainly not in the best ever category.
I think it’s one of those deals where everyone enjoys it and thinks it’s really good so it gets lots of love even though very few people think it’s the most amazing thing ever.  Like the Rolling Stones, or Chinese food.

Tried to watch Casa Blanca recently.  I fell asleep.  
This reminds me of when my sister and I were little and my dad would take us out to eat but not give a straight answer when we asked him where we were going.

Couldn’t tie my shoes yet, but could probably say White Castle in 5 languages.

oh, and never seen any iteration of the Fast and the Furious.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people need to get off their asses and watch Spinal Tap and the Godfathers.  

@Keerock you should see all of the movies you mentioned wanting to see, those are all awesome movies

If it is a super hero movie and Batman isn't in it, I probably haven't seen it. No Avator or post Menace Star Wars either. 

Watching the 2nd half of Gone with the WInd right now. I had never seen it and being 4 hours, it is a big commitment. I split it up and actually did like the first half. It won't end up being a favorite of mine, but it's better than I expected. 

Outside of Top Gun and Back to the Future, I think I'm missing the entire 80s catalog.

I was stationed on San Diego base where (and while) Top Gun was filmed, so naturally I sought it ought; caught Back to the Future in a layover in SF airport while awaiting departure to Guam, circa 1986. ... or some such.

some people have never seen any movie at all because they lack access to a movie theater look all i am saying is for the just the cost of a cup of cofee a day you could help someone see sisterhood of the traveling pants and that my friends will be a legacy your kids will be proud of take that to the bank bromigos
I got taken to "Sisterhood of the Yaya Pants" or whatever it's called on like the 5th date with my current wife. I had picked all the other movies up to that, she really wanted to see this. I knew it was going to be awful but had to go. 

There was only one other guy in the theater and I remember we looked at each other and then quickly looked away in shame.

I don't mind a "chick" movie if it is even remotely well made, this was one of the worst movies I have sat through in the theater, the wife agreed after. 

It still comes up occasionally 20 years later.

I have not seen Titanic or Avatar. 

The former is a hard pass.....the latter, I just missed it for so long I figure I get more pleasure out of telling people I never saw it (especially combined with Titanic as two top grossing movies) than I would get out of watching it. 
Even if you haven't seen Avatar, you've seen Avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread