What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prague/Austria recommendations (1 Viewer)

Kanil

Footballguy
My wife and I (along with some friends) are planning a two week trip to Prague (and surrounding area)  this June.  We definitely want to add on some time in Austria (looking at Haalstatt and Salzburg).  We're looking for 4 or 5 days to spend in one or two places within a train ride of any of those locations.   Any ideas? 

innsbruck, vienna, berchtesgaden

edit: within 3 hrs from salzburg

arlburg/kitzbuhel for your alps

Last edited by a moderator:
Český Krumlov is smackdab between Prague and Hallstatt/Salzburg and is worth a stop.

Beautiful

If you go to Vienna, Bratislava is only 45 minutes away and is a nice little gem of a capital city.  

If you go to Salzburg and have any questions hit me up. It’s a picturesque place and worth visiting for a couple days IMO.

I did 10 days there last summer.  Have a lot of solid ideas from that.  I'm overseas on biz this week but will be heading back Thursday and can answer a lot of questions then

My route was Prague Vienna Alps 

The main issue we ran into that I didn't expect is the Alps area is just bursting with tour busses full of Asians. Be realistic about your destinations.  Stuff like hallstatt is just simply a non starter now.  Have to find ones down the list a bit. 

Teddy Stickles said:
Český Krumlov is smackdab between Prague and Hallstatt/Salzburg and is worth a stop.

Beautiful

If you go to Vienna, Bratislava is only 45 minutes away and is a nice little gem of a capital city.  
Did this trip last fall and Bratislava was a favorite of mine. Quaint, great value, and not overrun with tourists compared with Prague.

The main issue we ran into that I didn't expect is the Alps area is just bursting with tour busses full of Asians. Be realistic about your destinations.  Stuff like hallstatt is just simply a non starter now. 
Unpack this a bit for me, please.   Not sure what you're getting at (maybe I'm just slow).

Teddy Stickles said:

Beautiful

Yes to all of those 3 cities/towns. I had a great time there and would love to go back. In Prague, obviously the castle and old city center are a must. Old city has the famous clock and it’s a total zoo down there. Go to the Hotel U and get a table at Teresa U Prince. Go early when it opens and you will have a beautiful balcony view of the old clock and the heart of old Prague. You can enjoy food and drinks and relax instead of battling the masses on the ground.

We were in Prague last October and it was a beautiful city with so much to see and do. Like you we went with another couple who were long time friends.   We stayed in a great hotel called the Aria library collection I believe.  Great rooms by Europe standards.  Multiple indoor and outdoor bars with great views. Amazing gardens onsite as well.  Close to the bridge and well located for all the must see things.  I would go back in a heart beat.  But I will also add the Asian tourists were at times overwhelming.  But it was like a wave and then they were gone off to somewhere else.  So more a short term nuisance than real problem.  I could have stayed another week easily.

We then took the train down to Vienna.  Very easy ride.   Vienna is a nice town and friendly for the most part. We saw plenty of all the must see sites and a few of the Operas and plays at night.  It had some of the best restaurants and food, but it really wasn't a favorite city for me.  It wasn't bad but just didn't capture me like some of the others did.   Some claim it is the most interesting and beautiful city and the center of all things controlled by the old Royal family.  We saw the all the  Castles, Museums and such, and of course the Lipizzaner horses, but overall a bit blah.  

Then off to Bratislava for a couple of days.  The drive to Bratislava was a stark reality of what I imagined the Russian empire and behind the iron curtain looked like.  Many old square box concrete apartment buildings, one after one in large complexes.  Though the actual capital city has some very nice architecture and monuments.  The amazing thing was looking at old bombed out buildings that hadn't been rebuilt yet right next to area's that were thriving.  It was an interesting dynamic.  Food was good, the stories we heard were even better.  It was a nice stop along our trip.  The country side was quite beautiful.  But this area felt like the most authentic eastern bloc/Russian control influence.  Very interesting looking at what they are doing to become part of the new world.

Finally we ended up in Budapest and spent our last four days there.   A great city with so much to see and do.  By far the most interesting and beautiful city that I have ever been to.  I could have stayed there and explored for weeks.  We even went to one of the oldest bath houses and spent half a day.  These were built by the Ottoman empire when they had taken over way, way back then. Amazing with indoor and outdoor hot springs and mineral baths.  Very interesting, especially when we are some of the very few Americans in there from what I could tell. Plenty of very big and round eastern European guys just like in a bond movie.  Food was great and so many different types of restaurants.  Beer was good all through the trip, but it seemed the largest varieties was found in Budapest.  I also developed a fondness for their aperitifs after dinner.  Most were a very strong alchol and a thicker base like a cough syrup, think a jaegermister style.  The lights at night were amazing.  Overall a great experience and a great trip to take with your wife and friends.    Enjoy your trip!

We were in Prague last October and it was a beautiful city with so much to see and do. Like you we went with another couple who were long time friends.   We stayed in a great hotel called the Aria library collection I believe.  Great rooms by Europe standards.  Multiple indoor and outdoor bars with great views. Amazing gardens onsite as well.  Close to the bridge and well located for all the must see things.  I would go back in a heart beat.  But I will also add the Asian tourists were at times overwhelming.  But it was like a wave and then they were gone off to somewhere else.  So more a short term nuisance than real problem.  I could have stayed another week easily.

We then took the train down to Vienna.  Very easy ride.   Vienna is a nice town and friendly for the most part. We saw plenty of all the must see sites and a few of the Operas and plays at night.  It had some of the best restaurants and food, but it really wasn't a favorite city for me.  It wasn't bad but just didn't capture me like some of the others did.   Some claim it is the most interesting and beautiful city and the center of all things controlled by the old Royal family.  We saw the all the  Castles, Museums and such, and of course the Lipizzaner horses, but overall a bit blah.  

Then off to Bratislava for a couple of days.  The drive to Bratislava was a stark reality of what I imagined the Russian empire and behind the iron curtain looked like.  Many old square box concrete apartment buildings, one after one in large complexes.  Though the actual capital city has some very nice architecture and monuments.  The amazing thing was looking at old bombed out buildings that hadn't been rebuilt yet right next to area's that were thriving.  It was an interesting dynamic.  Food was good, the stories we heard were even better.  It was a nice stop along our trip.  The country side was quite beautiful.  But this area felt like the most authentic eastern bloc/Russian control influence.  Very interesting looking at what they are doing to become part of the new world.

Finally we ended up in Budapest and spent our last four days there.   A great city with so much to see and do.  By far the most interesting and beautiful city that I have ever been to.  I could have stayed there and explored for weeks.  We even went to one of the oldest bath houses and spent half a day.  These were built by the Ottoman empire when they had taken over way, way back then. Amazing with indoor and outdoor hot springs and mineral baths.  Very interesting, especially when we are some of the very few Americans in there from what I could tell. Plenty of very big and round eastern European guys just like in a bond movie.  Food was great and so many different types of restaurants.  Beer was good all through the trip, but it seemed the largest varieties was found in Budapest.  I also developed a fondness for their aperitifs after dinner.  Most were a very strong alchol and a thicker base like a cough syrup, think a jaegermister style.  The lights at night were amazing.  Overall a great experience and a great trip to take with your wife and friends.    Enjoy your trip!
I didn’t know much about Budapest until I went there and I have to agree, it’s the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen.

Unpack this a bit for me, please.   Not sure what you're getting at (maybe I'm just slow).
Hallstatt is just too busy with swarms and swarms of tourists.  I don't know what the low season is there, but if this is anywhere even close to the summer season don't even think about it.  We drove there thinking it was a must do, took one look at the crowds and turned around.  

I don't know how the recent turmoil would affect this, but we did a trip a couple of years ago - Prague, Vienna, Budapest. Vienna is beautiful and awesome and you can definitely tell it was western - not behind the curtain.

But relative to expectations, we loved Budapest. More than Prague. Budapest is really beautiful and fun. So I would recommend including that, if you can. Like I wrote, though, I'm not sure how recent politics affect that.

Hallstatt is just too busy with swarms and swarms of tourists.  I don't know what the low season is there, but if this is anywhere even close to the summer season don't even think about it.  We drove there thinking it was a must do, took one look at the crowds and turned around.  
That's great to know.  Thanks a lot.

I don't know how the recent turmoil would affect this, but we did a trip a couple of years ago - Prague, Vienna, Budapest. Vienna is beautiful and awesome and you can definitely tell it was western - not behind the curtain.

But relative to expectations, we loved Budapest. More than Prague. Budapest is really beautiful and fun. So I would recommend including that, if you can. Like I wrote, though, I'm not sure how recent politics affect that.
At this point we have to do Prague (one of the reasons we're going is a good friend is presenting a paper he wrote at a conference in Prague).  From there we'll make our way to Vienna (with a possible stop in Český Krumlov thanks to Teddy) and then I think we need to make up our mind about going either east or west.

If we go east, we'll definitely hit Budapest but would really like to see some smaller towns that might offer some picturesque hiking opportunities.  We do have a lot of people in the group that really want to go through the alps (may even ski a day as there's a glacier there that has year round skiing) so my gut tells me we'll end up going west from Vienna.  If we end up going west, Salzburg is a sure thing (there's an opera house there a couple of the ladies want to go see) and then probably some of the towns Drunken Knight mentioned and finish flying out of Munich.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far, keep the suggestions coming!

At this point we have to do Prague (one of the reasons we're going is a good friend is presenting a paper he wrote at a conference in Prague).  From there we'll make our way to Vienna (with a possible stop in Český Krumlov thanks to Teddy) and then I think we need to make up our mind about going either east or west.

If we go east, we'll definitely hit Budapest but would really like to see some smaller towns that might offer some picturesque hiking opportunities.  We do have a lot of people in the group that really want to go through the alps (may even ski a day as there's a glacier there that has year round skiing) so my gut tells me we'll end up going west from Vienna.  If we end up going west, Salzburg is a sure thing (there's an opera house there a couple of the ladies want to go see) and then probably some of the towns Drunken Knight mentioned and finish flying out of Munich.

Sounds like an awesome trip.

In Austria near Vienna that is a really cute town called Durnstein. It's really charming and there should be lots of hiking around there. It's on the Danube and I believe near Melk where is an incredible monastary worth a look. 

The library at the abbey alone is worth the visit. The word abbey is selling it short, it is like a religious palace. It is incredible. 

Just putting it on your radar..... Dachau is about an hour away from Munich.  Might be morbid, especially toward the end of the trip, but very profound experience.

Just putting it on your radar..... Dachau is about an hour away from Munich.  Might be morbid, especially toward the end of the trip, but very profound experience.
We've talked about it.  My wife is Jewish but not sure she can handle going.

Don't know how I missed this post earlier but I'm glad I went back through.  This is great info.  Thanks jps.

I went there in December and it was empty. Had just snowed the day before so it was pretty epic. From Salzburg took a bus, to a train, to a boat to get there :lol:  

But yeah I wouldn't want to go there if it were really crowded.

In Austria near Vienna that is a really cute town called Durnstein. It's really charming and there should be lots of hiking around there. It's on the Danube and I believe near Melk where is an incredible monastary worth a look. 

The library at the abbey alone is worth the visit. The word abbey is selling it short, it is like a religious palace. It is incredible. 
Durnstein is also overwhelmed with tourists.  I'm not sure where they all come from. 

I mean alot of Europe is really just getting nuked with cheap flights and a broader global economy.  

It's a huge problem.  These little mid size neat sites have but maybe one or two things to do and the bus operators crush them.

Durnstein is also overwhelmed with tourists.  I'm not sure where they all come from. 

I mean alot of Europe is really just getting nuked with cheap flights and a broader global economy.  

It's a huge problem.  These little mid size neat sites have but maybe one or two things to do and the bus operators crush them.
Interesting, there weren’t many tourists when I was there. Actually there was nobody. When my wife and I ate lunch, it was us and the woman who owned a little shop around the corner and that was it. This was 4 years ago.

Interesting, there weren’t many tourists when I was there. Actually there was nobody. When my wife and I ate lunch, it was us and the woman who owned a little shop around the corner and that was it. This was 4 years ago.
It's certainly seasonal. But summer in Europe now is a mess even in places you would consider off the path. 

Also frustrating to see these hordes just bouncing from checklist item to checklist item too because you know they don't drop much in the local economy at all.   

It's certainly seasonal. But summer in Europe now is a mess even in places you would consider off the path. 

Also frustrating to see these hordes just bouncing from checklist item to checklist item too because you know they don't drop much in the local economy at all.   
Oh it’s that bad in the summer? That sucks. I always try to go in the spring 

We went to Prague for a few days last year. We stayed at the Pod Vizi at the Charles Bridge. Had a fantastic time. Slovenia was nice too. We flew to Italy to eat while over there also. Worth every penny. 🤣

We went to Prague for a few days last year. We stayed at the Pod Vizi at the Charles Bridge. Had a fantastic time. Slovenia was nice too. We flew to Italy to eat while over there also. Worth every penny. 🤣
Oh my it was so fun! Let me know when you want to plan another trip 

:blackdot:

Just bought concert tickets to a show in Berlin in March.  Thinking about flying into Prague and hanging out for a few days before jumping on a train to Berlin.  This will be the first time traveling solo. I guess this is the start of my mid-life crisis.

Black dot as this trip is on my list to do. My daughter has done it and nothing but raves. 

I have to admit that Asian tour trips to me are what carneys are to Austin Powers. It’s really that bad. Moving in mass at baggage claim or to/from busses, constant bum rush,  no personal space.  Honestly makes me not want to do a Far East trip. 

Users who are viewing this thread