What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preliminary DO NOT DRAFT list (1 Viewer)

Frank Black

Footballguy
Already, some of you have guys on your list who you will not draft, based on where you would have to draft them.

Who is on your preliminary do not draft list and why?

Percy Harvin.

Not because I don't like him, but because his ADP at the moment is WR7 at 3.03. That's one pick after Demaryius Thomas.

I'd rather have Fitzgerald, VJax, White,Johnson and possible even Cobb, all of whom are going after he is. Jordy Nelson and Dwayne Bowe both have ADPs an entire round after him.

I'll pass on Harvin and let someone else take him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Johnson. I would likely have to take him too high for somebody with such volatility. I've learned my lesson about first/second round picks that aren't set-and-forget studs at their position.

If I could get him in round 3, sure, but I don't see that happening.

Edit: And McFadden, as always.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far:

Steven Ridley - I never know what Bill is thinking.

Wes Welker - too much competition in Denver

Randell Cobb - Ditto

Chris Johnson. I would likely have to take him too high for somebody with such volatility. I've learned my lesson about first/second round picks that aren't set-and-forget studs at their position.

If I could get him in round 3, sure, but I don't see that happening.

Edit: And McFadden, as always.
Agree on McFadden. I like CJ3 in best ball formats, but he would be frustrating if you have to think about whether to start him.

I'm avoiding/downgrading: Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Cruz, and Gronk.

Montee Ball - given fox's history with rookie rbs, id rather let someone else take the risk in the 4th/5th. Not saying its impossible he gets the full time gig, just that the data would suggest otherwise.

Im going to try staying away from the "Pistol" offense. I am also going to try and avoid wrs on new teams.

DeMarco Murray - can't seem to stay healthy and hurt already during OTAs
This one for me as well. Had multiple offers come where I would receive him this offseason, and I want no part of him.

Fred Jackson
Who is honestly taking him before the double-digit rounds?

Ryan Mathews

Darren McFadden

Greg Jennings

Wes Welker
Agree on Welker - he is still going way too high for all the competition he will have for targets now. For the RBs, I feel that their injury risks have been factored fairly well into their prices already, and I like both to outperform their ADPs this year.

Jennings I don't know what to think about. If you can get him around WR25 or later, then I think it is a great move. Much before that, and I don't know if I can take the risk.

Montee Ball - given fox's history with rookie rbs, id rather let someone else take the risk in the 4th/5th. Not saying its impossible he gets the full time gig, just that the data would suggest otherwise.
He is currently going around the late 5th in dynasty startups, as the 23/34 RB off the board. At that price, I feel he is well worth the risk. Pairing him with Moreno and McGahee is not expensive at all, either, so even if he doesn't get much time this year, you should have whomever is the main bellcow. Hillman is way too small to get the majority of carries, so it will be 1 of those 3, most likely Ball.

I can't disagree with a single name on this list so far. Although I'm a little surprised to see Cobb here because of the potential upside. Still, I understand why you wouldn't draft him through the third round and he may not make it past the fourth round.

Ryan Mathews

Darren McFadden

Greg Jennings

Wes Welker
I don't really have a "do not draft" list - almost anyone in the top 200 is draftable at the right price - so I like to think of it as a "WILL NOT DRAFT" list, as in 'these guys will be gone rounds before I'd ever think about taking them'. But if I were ever tempted to make a "DO NOT DRAFT" list - as in at any price - Mathews and McFadden would be #1A and #1B on it.

Having said that, I can't help but think that there's the possibility this year of "one stud RB plus a bunch of always-injured / unproven RBs with RB1 talent" being a championship strategy, because the guys in that second bucket have burned people so often that you don't have to pay starter's prices for them any more. The guy relying on D-Mac by himself as his RB2 will probably regret it, as always, but the guy with a committee of D-Mac / Mathews / Ingram at RB2 will likely hold his own at RB and may lap the field if all goes well.

Ryan Mathews put me through hell last year, I'd only take a shot at him as a RB3, and that's if guys like LeVeon Bell and others that I like in that similar range are already gone.

Cobb. I view him as WR15 or so, and doubt he gets anywhere close to that.
Would you draft him if he were available?
Yes, if he was the highest rated player on my board. Why wouldn't I?
I thought this was about players you would not draft.
Kinda makes this thread silly, no? If Demarco Murray were available in the 15th round I'm pretty sure even the biggest haters around here would draft him.

Kinda makes this thread silly, no? If Demarco Murray were available in the 15th round I'm pretty sure even the biggest haters around here would draft him.
No, we hear about NFL teams taking guys off their draft boards all the time. To me, I won't take Cobb at WR11 (his current ADP) but I will take him at WR15 (which could occur in the same round of the draft) is kind of silly in a thread about players you will not draft.

No, we hear about NFL teams taking guys off their draft boards all the time. To me, I won't take Cobb at WR11 (his current ADP) but I will take him at WR15 (which could occur in the same round of the draft) is kind of silly in a thread about players you will not draft.
So you're more interested in why some insane person would take Cobb completely off their draft list? The NFL draft is nothing like a fantasy draft. I agree that the example you are bringing forth is a silly one not worth posting, but just like every other thread here you have to wade through the junk to find some good nuggets of info. I would contend better info will be discussed if we don't limit the discussion to why people might take a starting RB completely off their board as if drafting Tampa's 3rd string in the 18th round would make more sense than drafting Ryan Mathews because someone is fed up with his injury history.

So you're more interested in why some insane person would take Cobb completely off their draft list?
Actually, yes. That would make a much better thread. Everyone's rankings are different. I won't take him in the 3rd but I will take him in the 5th is a worthless discussion.

The ones I'd be leery of taking right now at least is:

McFadden

Murray

Chris Johnson

Any Jet offensive player

Gronk

Matthews

Christo said:
ItsOnlytheRiver said:
Christo said:
ItsOnlytheRiver said:
Christo said:
jonboltz said:
Christo said:
So you're more interested in why some insane person would take Cobb completely off their draft list?
Actually, yes. That would make a much better thread. Everyone's rankings are different. I won't take him in the 3rd but I will take him in the 5th is a worthless discussion.
I think we're essenty arguing for the same thing, just going about it different ways. Not that important anyway.. Carry on!

The ones I'd be leery of taking right now at least is:

McFadden

Murray

Chris Johnson

Any Jet offensive player

Gronk

Matthews
agree with most of this but I would take one Jet. Ivory seems worthy of a round 4-6 pick to me. RB2 with upside.....

I only play dynasty and I'm really anti old guy so anyone over 29. (besides QB)

Others:

Decker

MJD

Blackmon

Any offensive Jet

Fitz

Mathews

Ridley

Gates

Rivers

Cutler

Vereen