What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Presidential Approval Poll 4/3/19 (1 Viewer)

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Donald Trump is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 152 79.2%

• Total voters
Sure how we got here sucks. But we got here and that doesn't suck. Giving a little credit or praise or whatever word we feel comfortable with seems like a better idea than not.
Sure, I guess. But the thread is about whether you approve of the job he's doing more generally, not whether he's ever done anything that was more than the worst possible thing he could do.  I can't imagine this actually affecting whether you approve of his presidency more broadly.  It's like saying you approve of his performance because he's gone almost two years without calling Nazis "very fine people."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, I guess. But the thread is about whether you approve of the job he's doing more generally, not whether he's ever done anything that was more than the worst possible thing he could do.  I can't imagine this actually affecting whether you approve of his presidency more broadly.  It's like saying you approve of his performance because he's gone almost two years without calling Nazis "very fine people."
Well I did say already the couple of things he's done right don't equate to the daily things he's done wrong. Of course I also enjoy his destruction of the GOP. Young people, people of color and women fleeing in droves, etc. 

This pole is fruitless because the role of President ins't an autocracy.  I can't answer how I feel about what Trump has done without considering what ridiculous circumstances the Left and Right have forced him into addressing. 

NCCommish said:
Well I did say already the couple of things he's done right don't equate to the daily things he's done wrong. Of course I also enjoy his destruction of the GOP. Young people, people of color and women fleeing in droves, etc. 
Not true, see #BLEXIT

Yeah, this place isn't liberal.  :lol:

Most country wide polls have him around 44%. 
This debate forum is not a conducive environment for Trump supporters as most of Trump's rationale involves fabrication and exaggeration to support it. Most of the people I know are Trump supporters but they rarely debate and presents facts as to why.....they just support him. I can see why they don't visit a site like this.

Keep telling yourself that.  Where did these percentages come from?  I'm black, I wasn't polled. 
There is zero evidence of any actual Blexit.  Also, you know polling doesn't actually poll every black person, right?  That’s not how statistics work.

There is zero evidence of any actual Blexit.  Also, you know polling doesn't actually poll every black person, right?  That’s not how statistics work.
I know how statistics work.  I also know if I want a desired result, I can poll a targeted group to get that desired result.  

GoBirds said:
:goodposting:

Trump could cure cancer and the regulars in here wouldn’t budge an inch. 
Except he's not capable of closing his umbrella himself, so yeah, not worried about him surprising me with anything resembling intellect or doing good for humanity. Also, he'd have to get off twitter for two minutes to accomplish something, so there's that hurdle, too.

In the 2018 election 90% of Black votes went to Democrats  9% to Republicans which is pretty much what the polling says and is well in line with historical totals. Furthering buttressing the polled data.

So no multiple pollsters are not involved in some giant conspiracy just because reality doesn't match Ron's belief.

If you don't mind, GB, I'm gonna use this as an example of why conservatives are called "trolls" so often around here.

KD is, I think, savvy enough about politics on the internet to know that there are multiple sites that aggregate presidential approval ratings to paint a much better picture of where the president stands.  Here's RCP, and here's 538. This is obviously far more useful information if you want to know how the board compares to the "real world."

Instead kd decided to use Breitbart, a source with an ugly history of racism and white nationalism to the point that many people rightly don't even want to click on their link and generate revenue for them. I clicked on it, and of course it's a Rasmussen poll, which KD also knows many people consider unreliable and right-leaning even if he doesn't think that himself. He then uses this information to suggest that the people who post here are out of touch or something.

Why? What purpose is served by doing this? It's obviously not intended to foster an interesting conversation.  At best it's going to end up with some nerd like me taking five minutes to type out the above, which is all information that KD almost certainly already knows and likely expected.  More likely it's going to annoy people by being deliberately misleading so be can take a shot at the people on the board, which I think was pretty clearly its intent.  That's trolling.

So are we not allowed to call a troll a troll?

I don't doubt KD is trying to needle people a bit now that Trump is finally over 50% in a single poll.

But even the least favorable polls have Trump's approval at roughly double where it stands on this board. His point that we are not representative still stands. (Which, obviously, we're Footballguys).

First off, that poll is already out of date (he's down to 51% today).

Secondly, you should know better than to post the Rasmussen poll around here.

Notes about the methodology of the Rasmussen poll

Here is what Rasmussen does that sets them apart from most other polling services:

• only dials landlines (conservatives are more likely to own a landline)
  • only dials numbers published in the phone book (conservatives are less likely to have an unpublished number)
  • only calls during dinner hours (conservatives are more likely to be home)
  • does not call back if phone is not answered (conservatives are more likely to be home, and therefore more likely to answer)
  • only polls people who self-identify as "likely voters" (conservatives are much more likely to self-identify as "likely voters", especially when it's not election season)
These tactics are not employed by most polling services, which is why Rasmussen is the only polling service to regularly show Trump with an approval rating above 45%. It's really sad that so many Trump supporters keep clinging to it. I suppose they think that it's better than nothing, but it only goes to highlight just how unfavorable Trump truly is.

The Rasmussen poll was created by a guy who thought it was unfair that George W. Bush had low approval numbers, so he sought to create a new polling system that would account for all the "shy Bush supporters" who he thought weren't showing up in the Gallup poll.

One other thing about Rasmussen which should scare the hell out of Trump supporters: they also conduct a poll which asks if the country is going in the "Right Direction" or the "Wrong Track". And right now 54% of respondents think that the country is on the Wrong Track. And that number is consistent with what people were saying before the mid-term elections (so it has nothing to do with the Democratic House).

I don't doubt KD is trying to needle people a bit now that Trump is finally over 50% in a single poll.

But even the least favorable polls have Trump's approval at roughly double where it stands on this board. His point that we are not representative still stands. (Which, obviously, we're Footballguys).
We're also mostly people who are (1) very engaged in politics and social issues and don't limit our engagement to consuming cable news or Facebook, and (2) have boring white collar jobs that allow us to waste time on the internet during the day.

I spend my life surrounded by people who satisfy this description, and in my experience, Trump approval among them is closer to 2% than 20%. And there's further reasons why that's teh case. Every sample is affected by a variety of factors, I don't think that's news to anyone and I'm not sure what's gained by pointing it out.

So what was gained by calling someone a troll for citing a Rasmussen poll?
I didn't post because I wanted to call him names- I tried to phrase it gently, to make that clear. I was trying to explain why people say that many conservatives around here are trolls- a label they don't like and complain about and the moderators also frown upon I think.

IMO if people are called something they don't like being called, they deserve an explanation or apology. I'm offering an explanation, using KD's post as an example.

First off, that poll is already out of date (he's down to 51% today).

Secondly, you should know better than to post the Rasmussen poll around here.

Notes about the methodology of the Rasmussen poll

Here is what Rasmussen does that sets them apart from most other polling services:

• only dials landlines (conservatives are more likely to own a landline)
  • only dials numbers published in the phone book (conservatives are less likely to have an unpublished number)
  • only calls during dinner hours (conservatives are more likely to be home)
  • does not call back if phone is not answered (conservatives are more likely to be home, and therefore more likely to answer)
  • only polls people who self-identify as "likely voters" (conservatives are much more likely to self-identify as "likely voters", especially when it's not election season)
These tactics are not employed by most polling services, which is why Rasmussen is the only polling service to regularly show Trump with an approval rating above 45%. It's really sad that so many Trump supporters keep clinging to it. I suppose they think that it's better than nothing, but it only goes to highlight just how unfavorable Trump truly is.

The Rasmussen poll was created by a guy who thought it was unfair that George W. Bush had low approval numbers, so he sought to create a new polling system that would account for all the "shy Bush supporters" who he thought weren't showing up in the Gallup poll.

One other thing about Rasmussen which should scare the hell out of Trump supporters: they also conduct a poll which asks if the country is going in the "Right Direction" or the "Wrong Track". And right now 54% of respondents think that the country is on the Wrong Track. And that number is consistent with what people were saying before the mid-term elections (so it has nothing to do with the Democratic House).
So the details BEHIND a poll matter?  Hmmm....that's very interesting!!!     :jawdrop:

Also, you know that the 54% of people who said the country was on the wrong track could have easily have been talking about the far left liberals right?

I didn't post because I wanted to call him names- I tried to phrase it gently, to make that clear. I was trying to explain why people say that many conservatives around here are trolls- a label they don't like and complain about and the moderators also frown upon I think.

IMO if people are called something they don't like being called, they deserve an explanation or apology. I'm offering an explanation, using KD's post as an example.
What would you call your posts today on the MAGA hat thread today comparing wearing a MAGA hat to wearing a swastika?  That was some A + plus trolling and here you are ironically calling out someone who is posting evidence to support his correct statement that the PSF does not accurately represent the views of Americans as this is an absurdly left leaning echo chamber.

Don't Noonan said:
What would you call your posts today on the MAGA hat thread today comparing wearing a MAGA hat to wearing a swastika?  That was some A + plus trolling and here you are ironically calling out someone who is posting evidence to support his correct statement that the PSF does not accurately represent the views of Americans as this is an absurdly left leaning echo chamber.
Again the left here isn't really an echo chamber. We challenge each other's viewe constantly. Ask around there are many here on the left I make not so happy on the regular. They challenge me and I challenge them. 

Murph said:

Yes.  Not trolling.  Providing empirical evidence that posters on this board have opinions that are not consistent with a MAJORITY of Americans.  

Yes.  Not trolling.  Providing empirical evidence that posters on this board have opinions that are not consistent with a MAJORITY of Americans.  
Except that the poll you cited is consistently an outlier and the aggregate of all the polls show him at 42% approval to 52% disapproval. We seem to be with the majority of Americans after all.

Except that the poll you cited is consistently an outlier and the aggregate of all the polls show him at 42% approval to 52% disapproval. We seem to be with the majority of Americans after all.
:shrug:

“Rasmussen was one of the most accurate pollsters of the 2016 presidential election.”

:shrug:

“Rasmussen was one of the most accurate pollsters of the 2016 presidential election.”
This is the second time in two months that you've attempted to perpetrate this lie.

And it will be the second time that I call you out.

The fact is that Rasmussen predicted a landslide victory for Hillary (322 electoral votes, including a sweep of Pennsylvania, Florida, Michigan, and Wisconsin). They were one of the least accurate polls in the history of presidential elections.

Of course, you won't find that prediction on their website anymore -- they conveniently deleted the page. But don't worry because the page has been archived.

If you hadn't already tried to push this lie, I might give you the benefit of the doubt. But you should know better.

Don't Noonan said:
I didn't compare wearing a MAGA hat to wearing a swastika. To say that I did is unfair and sleazy.  I used a hypothetical about a benign use of a swastika to demonstrate that the user's intent is not all that matters, that most people would say the user is also responsible for understanding how others perceive the messages they send. No part of that suggests that the two things are similar or comparable.

If you can't understand the difference, do me a favor and just ignore me in the future. It'll be best for both of us.  That's what I usually do with you, unless you take dumb shots at me and someone else responds to it so I see it. TIA

This is the second time in two months that you've attempted to perpetrate this lie.

The fact is that Rasmussen predicted a landslide victory for Hillary (322 electoral votes, including a sweep of Pennsylvania, Florida, Michigan, and Wisconsin). They were one of the least accurate polls in the history of presidential elections.

Of course, you won't find that prediction on their website anymore -- they conveniently deleted the page. But don't worry because the page has been archived.

If you hadn't already tried to push this lie, I might give you the benefit of the doubt. But you should know better.
:coffee:

I’m just quoting the article that is verifiable by all.   No idea where you get your cut and paste Monday Morning QB stuff.  

Trump is gaining support.   

Again the left here isn't really an echo chamber. We challenge each other's viewe constantly. Ask around there are many here on the left I make not so happy on the regular. They challenge me and I challenge them. 
:goodposting:

The Pete Buttigieg thread is a perfect example.  Great debate and conversation going on in that thread among people who are left center or lean left.

:coffee:

I’m just quoting the article that is verifiable by all.
Right. You quoted a line from the article which you knew was false because you've been caught trying to push the same lie before.

Most people, when caught pushing fake news, will apologize and vow to never do it again. You, on the other hand, seem to revel in it.

Trump is gaining support.   
He's down 2 points since yesterday.

Right. You quoted a line from the article which you knew was false because you've been caught trying to push the same lie before.

Most people, when caught pushing fake news, will apologize and vow to never do it again. You, on the other hand, seem to revel in it.

:tinfoilhat:

Please point me to any apologies in the 2100+ page Russian Conspiracy Theory thread.  

:tinfoilhat:

Please point me to any apologies in the 2100+ page Russian Conspiracy Theory thread.  
Oh, so that's what this is about? You're upset with the Russia thread so you think that it justifies what you're doing here?

Oof

I didn't compare wearing a MAGA hat to wearing a swastika. To say that I did is unfair and sleazy.  I used a hypothetical about a benign use of a swastika to demonstrate that the user's intent is not all that matters, that most people would say the user is also responsible for understanding how others perceive the messages they send. No part of that suggests that the two things are similar or comparable.

If you can't understand the difference, do me a favor and just ignore me in the future. It'll be best for both of us.  That's what I usually do with you, unless you take dumb shots at me and someone else responds to it so I see it. TIA
Wow.  You used to have some valid points but lately all I see is long winded anti-Trump hating posts.  I guess the Mueller report really got to you. 

I don't ignore anyone on here as I choose to not be close minded.

Have a good day.

Oh, so that's what this is about? You're upset with the Russia thread so you think that it justifies what you're doing here?
Not at all.  This thread is to discuss the approval rating of President Trump.  If I provided information from a mainstream poll that shows how different the mindset is in here versus the real world and I made you sad and defensive, that was not my intention.  

It’s refreshing for those supporting our President to see the PSF is an outlier.  Trump supporters like to hear they are in the majority and the views expressed on this board are fringe views.  Don’t be cyber bullied stay strong and firm in your convictions.   

TobiasFunke said:
If you don't mind, GB, I'm gonna use this as an example of why conservatives are called "trolls" so often around here.

KD is, I think, savvy enough about politics on the internet to know that there are multiple sites that aggregate presidential approval ratings to paint a much better picture of where the president stands.  Here's RCP, and here's 538. This is obviously far more useful information if you want to know how the board compares to the "real world."

Instead kd decided to use Breitbart, a source with an ugly history of racism and white nationalism to the point that many people rightly don't even want to click on their link and generate revenue for them. I clicked on it, and of course it's a Rasmussen poll, which KD also knows many people consider unreliable and right-leaning even if he doesn't think that himself. He then uses this information to suggest that the people who post here are out of touch or something.

Why? What purpose is served by doing this? It's obviously not intended to foster an interesting conversation.  At best it's going to end up with some nerd like me taking five minutes to type out the above, which is all information that KD almost certainly already knows and likely expected.  More likely it's going to annoy people by being deliberately misleading so be can take a shot at the people on the board, which I think was pretty clearly its intent.  That's trolling.

So are we not allowed to call a troll a troll?
This is a great post.  Sadly it did not stop the deluge of trolling.

Users who are viewing this thread