What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proposed changes for league rules next year- your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Shrek

Having a great season
I have been the commissioner of a modified scoring PPR league for about 12 years. One of the best things about the league is that they are proactive, and change things up periodically to reflect the changing times in the NFL. As commissioner, I keep track of suggested changes from owners all season long, and bring them to a Rules Committee Meeting each spring. But this year there have been a few suggested changes that are really out there, so I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone has ever been in a league that did this, and if so, how it worked.

1) And this one isn't so strange, but we have a suggestion to change the format each week so that each owner is playing 2 matchups instead of just 1. They would play the owner that's on the schedule, and then play against the league average for that week. So in effect, they could win a game against someone 70-68, but if the league average for that week was 100, they would lose the second matchup. I have heard of things like this before, but never heard how well it works.

2) I've never heard of this one. The proposal is to give each team an allotment of points (the same way you'd allot owners a Free Agent/Waiver Wire limit each season, for instance). Say the allotment to each team is 40 points. Then, during the season, each team can use points from their pool to add to their weekly score, should they choose to. But once the points are gone, they're gone. I find this to be an interesting proposal, as it might give owners the feeling that they could cover bye weeks, etc with these points.

Just wanted to have some ideas about pros/cons to discuss at the Rules Committee Meeting. Thoughts?

I have been the commissioner of a modified scoring PPR league for about 12 years. One of the best things about the league is that they are proactive, and change things up periodically to reflect the changing times in the NFL. As commissioner, I keep track of suggested changes from owners all season long, and bring them to a Rules Committee Meeting each spring. But this year there have been a few suggested changes that are really out there, so I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone has ever been in a league that did this, and if so, how it worked.

1) And this one isn't so strange, but we have a suggestion to change the format each week so that each owner is playing 2 matchups instead of just 1. They would play the owner that's on the schedule, and then play against the league average for that week. So in effect, they could win a game against someone 70-68, but if the league average for that week was 100, they would lose the second matchup. I have heard of things like this before, but never heard how well it works.

2) I've never heard of this one. The proposal is to give each team an allotment of points (the same way you'd allot owners a Free Agent/Waiver Wire limit each season, for instance). Say the allotment to each team is 40 points. Then, during the season, each team can use points from their pool to add to their weekly score, should they choose to. But once the points are gone, they're gone. I find this to be an interesting proposal, as it might give owners the feeling that they could cover bye weeks, etc with these points.

Just wanted to have some ideas about pros/cons to discuss at the Rules Committee Meeting. Thoughts?
Re: #2, I assume the owner would have to declare how many points he is adding each week before the start of the the games?

Re: #2, I assume the owner would have to declare how many points he is adding each week before the start of the the games?
Yes, exactly. At least, that's the impression I'm getting from the guy who proposed it.

We have done this for four years. We love it.

#1 - A decent way to balance H2H and "Best Team"

#2 - I assume points must be spent before playoffs :) I would be a great way to try to wrap up a division in the last week of the regular season (assuming you could save the points). Should be a very high scoring week.

Do you do an auction draft in this league? If so, an interesting approach might be to give everyone a $240 budget instead of $200 and allow people to retain any excess dollars (up to $40) as a points allotment. Adds another layer of strategy as each owner decides whether to spend a little more to get your desired guys on draft day, or keep the points in reserve for use during the season.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Shrek said:
Do you do an auction draft in this league? If so, an interesting approach might be to give everyone a $240 budget instead of $200 and allow people to retain any excess dollars (up to $40) as a points allotment. Adds another layer of strategy as each owner decides whether to spend a little more to get your desired guys on draft day, or keep the points in reserve for use during the season.
That league isn't an auction league, but yeah, that sounds like a good option for my other league, which is auction.

Users who are viewing this thread