What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prospect Highlight Videos (1 Viewer)

Probably not meant for this thread, but Addai's highlight video shows no jukes, stiff-arms, etc. Very few broken tackles and a lot of use of pure outside speed.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any LSU games, so I don't know if this is consistent with his performance throughout the year, but this drops him a notch or two in my rankings, regardless of where he goes.

My quick assessments IMO

QB

Leinart - Only top 3 QB who can make a second read. More mobile than most will give credit for.

Young - Amazing legs, have a feeling if first read isn't there, he runs.

Cutler - Warrior on poor team. Showed fight/determination running the ball. First read mantality with strong arm. Has upside, will need a lot of work.

RB

Bush - enough said

D Will - Bounces a lot of things outside. Can't blame him based on his perfomance. Would have liked to see more inside running ability though.

L. White - Didn't see anything that stuck out. I wanted more aggressive running in the video, did not find it.

Drew - One of the more fluid runners of the group. Runs for power and catches the ball very well. Not afraid of contact. Steal of the draft anywhere after round 1.

Addai - Give me a break. If someone drafts this guy it is solely based of his combine. Not fluid, not exceptionally fast, looks like he has a load in his drawers while running. He may be a good blocker/catcher, but I don't see any value before round 4.

Maroney - Liked what I saw. Agressive and fast. Good fit in Indy.

WR

Holmes - IMO above and beyond the best in the class. Great routes, moves, speed, hands. Aggressive when going up for ball, fluid. Future all pro.

C Jackson - Good job at the combine kid. Looks hesitant/clumsy at times. I do not think he likes contact. Monster physically, not a warrior mindset. I think he will disappoint at the next level if taken in round 1.

Moss - Hard to judge. Great speed and good hands. Could work out if in right situation.

Just quick reads on the vids. I know that I am missing a lot because I didn't watch college ball. If anyone wants to jump in and contrdict I would love to hear others view.

D Will - Bounces a lot of things outside. Can't blame him based on his perfomance. Would have liked to see more inside running ability though.
I do agree with this to a point. In some of those videos there are some great shots of him breaking multiple tackles and running inside, some of the broken tackles were extremely impressive to me.

My quick assessments IMO

QB

Leinart - Only top 3 QB who can make a second read. More mobile than most will give credit for.

Young - Amazing legs, have a feeling if first read isn't there, he runs.

Cutler - Warrior on poor team. Showed fight/determination running the ball. First read mantality with strong arm. Has upside, will need a lot of work.

RB

Bush - enough said

L. White - Didn't see anything that stuck out. I wanted more aggressive running in the video, did not find it.

Drew - One of the more fluid runners of the group. Runs for power and catches the ball very well. Not afraid of contact. Steal of the draft anywhere after round 1.

Addai - Give me a break. If someone drafts this guy it is solely based of his combine. Not fluid, not exceptionally fast, looks like he has a load in his drawers while running. He may be a good blocker/catcher, but I don't see any value before round 4.

Maroney - Liked what I saw. Agressive and fast. Good fit in Indy.

WR

Holmes - IMO above and beyond the best in the class. Great routes, moves, speed, hands. Aggressive when going up for ball, fluid. Future all pro.

C Jackson - Good job at the combine kid. Looks hesitant/clumsy at times. I do not think he likes contact. Monster physically, not a warrior mindset. I think he will disappoint at the next level if taken in round 1.

Moss - Hard to judge. Great speed and good hands. Could work out if in right situation.

Just quick reads on the vids. I know that I am missing a lot because I didn't watch college ball. If anyone wants to jump in and contrdict I would love to hear others view.
Good comments.One of the reasons I hate forming opinions on highlights is because they are so limiting, but they do emphasize plays that hopefully translate.

I think WRs are easiest to judge from highlights, and I like your assessment of the first three. Greg Jennings highlights were a little disappointing.

Taking a closer look at Calhoun and Harrison in the past two days has moved them both up considerably in my estimation. And, I have become more realistic on Norwood. Agree with the Addai assessment.

And, I have become more realistic on Norwood.
I really like what Norwood did in his college career, but after watching some highlights a few weeks ago, I had to bump him way down.I can understand why teams were scouting him as a wr. He is not built as a rb, and I don't think his body type will ever allow him to bulk up enough to be one(at least not a rb1). I know there's always exceptions, but I don't think he is one.

I'm liking QB Bruce Gradkowski the more I see of him. He showed solid arm strength to make the 25-35 yard throws and showed above average accuracy on the run. I also liked seeing him run out of bounds rather than forcing the throw into double coverage.

QB Brodie Croyle reminded me of Leinart in terms of his mobility (could be affected as a result of injuries though) and showed average to above average arm strength in the clips. He also seemed to have a bit of a windup motion on some of his throws, which will likely need tweaking.

And, I have become more realistic on Norwood.
I really like what Norwood did in his college career, but after watching some highlights a few weeks ago, I had to bump him way down.I can understand why teams were scouting him as a wr. He is not built as a rb, and I don't think his body type will ever allow him to bulk up enough to be one(at least not a rb1). I know there's always exceptions, but I don't think he is one.
I got into this ncaa football group (hardcore gamblers) who record and trade college games. I get USC/UCLA, another PAC 10 game and odd western programming every week, so I could trade for about any game with my little library. I saw Norwood get stuffed by LSU, blow up for almost 250 against Houston, and make some unreal runs going over 200 with three TDs against Ole Miss. I had a bad sample, and thought he was more than he probably is. However, he is 5-11 and 210, but looks like he's 6-1 and 200. :confused:

I think he can actually beef up more than most because there's obviously room for it. I've never seen such a lanky 5-11 210. I think 5-11 225 would look natural on him. :shrug:

I like Calhoun and Harrison better.

Norwood = WR

He looks like a nice player, but he just doesn't have the build of an NFL RB.

Norwood = WR

Look at how much RBs bulk up in the next two years though. Tomlinson was sort of Bush-looking skinny. Portis was 195 skinny. Norwood is 210 skinny. I think his body type may be ideal for added weight without slowing him down. Heck, I think he could get quicker and bigger. We'll see, but your observation is very valid with his current appearance.

Norwood = WR

Look at how much RBs bulk up in the next two years though. Tomlinson was sort of Bush-looking skinny. Portis was 195 skinny. Norwood is 210 skinny. I think his body type may be ideal for added weight without slowing him down. Heck, I think he could get quicker and bigger. We'll see, but your observation is very valid with his current appearance.
I just can't get over his physical appearance. On paper he's right there with Reggie Bush, but Bush looks like a RB. Norwood looks like a WR. It doesn't help that I've heard many teams are scouting him as a WR.

Anyone else on the Andre Hall bandwagon with me?
I'm in the ticket line, but I can't decide on taking the ride or not.
The biggest knock on him, besides the 5'8.5" height, is that he can't run away from defenders to break long runs. But I personally think that trait is the most overrated trait for RBs in the NFL. There just really aren't as many opportunities to have to outrun someone for 65 yards. If you are quick enough and fast enough to do it for 35-40 yards, I think you're fine.

Norwood = WR

I just can't get over his physical appearance. On paper he's right there with Reggie Bush, but Bush looks like a RB. Norwood looks like a WR. It doesn't help that I've heard many teams are scouting him as a WR.
Yeah, you clued me into that a month or so ago. I looked into it and it's worse than it sounds. They're not really scouting him to draft him as a WR. A couple scouts, and even a pretty high up front office guy (Buffalo) have said something akin to, "That's a wide receiver!" Iow, that ain't no RB MSU has been handing the ball to. All they had was this shifty WR, so they made him an RB. It's not an interesting comment that suggests he may be a WR sleeper. It's a negative comment about a RB who is not really an RB. I don't agree with all that, but it's a pretty big red flag. Tom Casale (Patriots Weekly scouting guru) loves him as much as I did a month ago. Casale is pretty sharp. I've poured the koolaid down the drain, but I still like and think he could surprise us.

:shrug:

Anyone else on the Andre Hall bandwagon with me?
I'm in the ticket line, but I can't decide on taking the ride or not.
The biggest knock on him, besides the 5'8.5" height, is that he can't run away from defenders to break long runs. But I personally think that trait is the most overrated trait for RBs in the NFL. There just really aren't as many opportunities to have to outrun someone for 65 yards. If you are quick enough and fast enough to do it for 35-40 yards, I think you're fine.
I agree with this. Many effective NFL backs- Dillon, Martin, DD-have very few runs over 25 yards. However, if they can run between the tackles and have good acceleration between the first and second level, and can break an arm tackle, they can get a lot of 7-17 yards runs. If you can do that, there will be a place for you in the NFL.

Norwood = WR

Yeah, you clued me into that a month or so ago. I looked into it and it's worse than it sounds. They're not really scouting him to draft him as a WR. A couple scouts, and even a pretty high up front office guy (Buffalo) have said something akin to, "That's a wide receiver!" Iow, that ain't no RB MSU has been handing the ball to. All they had was this shifty WR, so they made him an RB. It's not an interesting comment that suggests he may be a WR sleeper. It's a negative comment about a RB who is not really an RB. I don't agree with all that, but it's a pretty big red flag. Tom Casale (Patriots Weekly scouting guru) loves him as much as I did a month ago. Casale is pretty sharp. I've poured the koolaid down the drain, but I still like and think he could surprise us.

FWIW, I thought he was one of the more impressive runners on film, I just don't think he projects as a featured back. He's an interesting prospect though.

My synopsis of the videos:

Top 3 QBs:

Leinart = NFL ready, accurate and reads defenses.

Young = strong intangibles, accurate, uses shotgun alot, runs as 2nd option

Cutler = good scrambler, tough, throws it up for grabs alot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the RBs:

Bush = human highlight film

Williams = inside and outside runner, intelligent, has moves

White = quick feet for a big guy, catches well, needed 2 people to take him down

Maroney = can break outside and is fast.

Side note: in the "center's highlight film" Maroney was outperformed by both Russell and I beleive the other guy was Barber.

Addai = runs inside and out, all-round okay player

Drew = awesome player in all regards, except that he's a midget on the field. Takes contact, runs inside alot, and can catch well.

Side note: in the Atlanta clip, they oops'd and had a Lendale White TD score. Wrong California school, right jersey number (21)

Calhoun = has an excellent offensive line, follows the blocks well. Nothing special about him.. good at alot, master of none.

Norwood = runs inside well, holds the ball like an NFL player already (high into the chest), sometimes looks like he's running "off-balance" (hard to explain)

Washington = has some wiggle but easy to take down. Isn't afraid of contact. Looks like he'll fumble alot

Harrison = holds the ball high to avoid fumbles. very shifty. Appears to be running "up hill".. legs moving but he's not accelerating at all.

Hall = creates space, uses angles well, quick off the ball

Norwood = WR

FWIW, I thought he was one of the more impressive runners on film, I just don't think he projects as a featured back. He's an interesting prospect though.
I know what the scout means though: He looks very thin-hipped and thin-thighed, if you will. Complete opposite of someone like Drew and really does look alot more like a WR in the lower body.

Users who are viewing this thread