What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSA: Water Alarms (1 Viewer)

Ned

Footballguy
Years back we our basement flood due to the sump pumps getting overrun.  $12k worth of fixes later I came across  these little gems,.  They've since saved us thousands of :moneybag:  over the years.  I've put them by our 2 sump pumps, under the fridge, and under every sink.  Earlier this spring the one under the fridge went off; yup, water line to the fridge developed a leak.  There was a thin layer of water under the fridge that tripped the alarm.  Saved our hardwood floors.  

Just now I heard one go off in the basement (little bastards are loud).  Sure enough, the sump pit was just starting to overflow.  Somehow the plug to the sump pump was halfway out of the wall socket, so it hadn't run in god knows how long.  That just saved us another potential basement flood.  

Highly recommend these things - at $10 a piece they're an absolute no brainer.  :thumbup:

Some great deals to be had with some of those multiple quantity options.  :no:    Amazon is like the anti-costco.  

Do you have the audio only or the WiFi email versions?

I would think a 'smart' version would be better, since they could then call, email or text you if you weren't home.

Where in your house to you have them located? My water heater is in the basement, and I suppose one near my sump pump would make sense, too. Anywhere else?

Last edited by a moderator:
NutterButter said:
Some great deals to be had with some of those multiple quantity options.  :no:    Amazon is like the anti-costco.  
5 pack isn't bad if you select frustration free packaging. ($43.34 and actually includes batteries)

I'm required to use them in most of my projects. A/c pans, d/w, w/d, wet over dry Kemper in apt buildings...

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Mr. Ected said:
Do you have the audio only or the WiFi email versions?

I would think a 'smart' version would be better, since they could then call, email or text you if you weren't home.

Where in your house to you have them located? My water heater is in the basement, and I suppose one near my sump pump would make sense, too. Anywhere else?
I have the audio only and have them by both sump pumps, under the fridge, and under each sink. 

Reading some of the responses I like the idea of going by the water heater, washer, etc.

That's some expensive standard packing.    :lol:  
The expensive packs are non-Amazon sold/non-prime options. All of the Amazon sold/prime ones get cheaper per unit than the 1 pack. It’s weird but I’m assuming they can’t just make sure that only Amazon sold ones are displayed. 

This one looks superior to the ones I currently use because it lays flat as opposed to standing straight up. I'm forever re-positioning the ones I have (bought at Home Depot) because someone has knocked them over and not put them back up. In addition, the plastic "stand" at the bottom of the ones I have is too high off the ground so water has to be fairly high to touch the contacts. I end up filing down the stand somewhat which, of course, makes them more vulnerable to the old "knock over." Thanks. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I think the wifi is must, esp today. Everything sends you some sort of an alert, anyway. I could really use these, my home office is in my basement and we have had water issues in the past, mostly fixed but you never know. 

Side note: WE built an extension recently and added a main floor laundry room. I was steadfast that we were adding a floor drain in that SOB. Was not risking a main floor leak and having it flood everything. Just typing it scares the #### out of me. 

I hate water. 

I think the wifi is must, esp today. Everything sends you some sort of an alert, anyway. I could really use these, my home office is in my basement and we have had water issues in the past, mostly fixed but you never know. 

Side note: WE built an extension recently and added a main floor laundry room. I was steadfast that we were adding a floor drain in that SOB. Was not risking a main floor leak and having it flood everything. Just typing it scares the #### out of me. 

I hate water. 
I went with a less efficient furnace in our upstairs addition so i didnt have to worry about water. 

Water always wins. 

Users who are viewing this thread