What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (3 Viewers)

Honest question, how much of a discount off his value has to be applied because he's a douchebag?

Good question, but I doubt it plays a major role. At his age, people are just looking at a 1-2 year window to win it all. Gotta be able to tolerate that.

Brett Favre was a douchebag and he got other jobs after GB.

Honest question, how much of a discount off his value has to be applied because he's a douchebag?

Good question, but I doubt it plays a major role. At his age, people are just looking at a 1-2 year window to win it all. Gotta be able to tolerate that.

Brett Favre was a douchebag and he got other jobs after GB.

Yeah, I wouldn't look too closely under the hood of the NFL for Eagle Scouts. It's a league festooned with egotistical alpha types who are demanding. It's part of how they got where they are. Not to say there aren't nice guys (and I'm sure Aaron is a decent enough fellow and teammate) but Dbaggery isn't going to dissuade a HC or GM from taking a chance on one of the best QBs to ever play to position.

ESPN's Adam Schefter doesn't believe the Packers will trade Aaron Rodgers to an NFC team if they were to trade him this offseason.​

Schefter notes that trading Rodgers would free up roughly $60 million in guaranteed money for the Packers, who are already in a tight spot as far as 2023 cap concerns go. There's no guarantee the Packers would trade Rodgers this offseason, but there are a number of AFC teams who would be interested should he come available -- like half of the AFC West and the New York Jets. Of course, the future hall of famer could also opt to retire, something he's mulled over for the last few offseasons. Regardless, it's setting up to be another eventful spring for Rodgers and the Packers as both sides try to figure out what's best for themselves next season.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on ESPN
Jan 24, 2023, 1:20 PM ET

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Jets owner Woody Johnson would "happily" acquire Aaron Rodgers in a trade.​

ESPN's Adam Schefter recently reported that a Rodgers trade is a "very real possibility" this offseason after the Packers failed to make the postseason. King said moving Rodgers would hardly be a heavy lift for a team like the Jets since Rodgers' "cap numbers in the next two seasons would be $48.3 million, combined. That’s certainly manageable. As for the compensation due Green Bay, my guess is the Pack would want at least two first-round picks." The Jets last week interviewed former Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett for the team's offensive coordinator job, perhaps to attract Rodgers' interest. Rodgers worked with Hackett in Green Bay before Hackett landed the Denver job. With a talent-packed roster and no viable starting quarterback options on the roster, the Jets would seem to be a solid fit for Rodgers. Jordan Love would presumably take over for the Packers if Rodgers is dealt this offseason.
RELATED:
SOURCE: FMIA
Jan 24, 2023, 10:51 AM ET

Wow.
Hot take from Chase that many won't agree with.
--------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
Aaron Rodgers in 2023 will be 2.5 years older than Matt Ryan was this season. Other than pretending that Rodgers is Tom Brady, I don’t know why so many people seem confident that Rodgers is going to be a good QB next year, much less in 2024. You basically pray he has 1 year left.

Wow.
--------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
Aaron Rodgers in 2023 will be 2.5 years older than Matt Ryan was this season. Other than pretending that Rodgers is Tom Brady, I don’t know why so many people seem confident that Rodgers is going to be a good QB next year, much less in 2024. You basically pray he has 1 year left.
I agree with that take wholeheartedly.

Wow.
--------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase

Likewise. Certainly he's defying the odds, both as to his health and production, and I think many if not most observers would say he's lost a step or 3. Many more missed throws and missed opportunities than we're used to seeing. But even with a broken thumb and playing at 80% or so at most from his peak, he's still better than most. I think the Packers decided he was down to his last year or so in 2020 and then he reeled off two straight MVPs. But agree that anyone taking on that contract and the sideshow that comes with it is praying to the football gods for one more good season.

Wow.
--------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase

Probably because he was good for several years straight playing at an MVP level prior to last season. Far better than Matt Ryan had been?

Wow.
--------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase

Probably because he was good for several years straight playing at an MVP level prior to last season. Far better than Matt Ryan had been?
Agreed, he was fantastic prior to last year, but the cliff can and often happens quickly - especially at his age. Maybe he's there, maybe not. I think he could be fine if he has a dynamite OL protecting him, but if I'm another team, I wouldn't want to spend an inordinate amount of draft picks/money to take that bet.

More Chase Stewart.
-----------------------------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
Making matters worse for Rodgers, he already had his big decline.
He averaged 8.00 ANY/A in 2021, which was the best in the NFL.
He averaged 5.95 ANY/A in 2022, which was the 20th best. So his decline is already there, by a noticeable margin.
How many QBs *improve* at 40?
---------------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
There have been many great QBs in NFL history and yet just 3 have been good QBs in their 40s: Brady, Favre, Brees. And those 3 QBs had legendary durability.
Aaron Rodgers?
I don't see any team willing to gamble a ton on Rodgers beating the odds and being a star in 2023.

Wow.
--------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase

Agreed, he was fantastic prior to last year, but the cliff can and often happens quickly - especially at his age. Maybe he's there, maybe not. I think he could be fine if he has a dynamite OL protecting him, but if I'm another team, I wouldn't want to spend an inordinate amount of draft picks/money to take that bet.
Agreed...definitely would be wary of giving up too much for him.
Just think a comp to Ryan is a bit off. He was always better than Ryan and Ryan showed a decline prior to Indy...unlike Rodgers having what is really one off year now after several really good years.

unlike Rodgers having what is really one off year now after several really good years.
But that one "off year" came at the age of 39 - how many great 40 year old QBs have their been?

He's still better than at least half the QBs in the league - so I'm sure some team will take a chance on him, but the potential for him looking like Russell Wilson on that new team is surely there.

The emergence of Watson this season is what Rodgers should bank on. He wasn't very good before that and it was obvious he needs a high caliber WR like Adams to succeed. I could see success with the Jets since they have Wilson and honestly, Rodgers & the NYC media has the potential to be super entertaining.

unlike Rodgers having what is really one off year now after several really good years.
But that one "off year" came at the age of 39 - how many great 40 year old QBs have their been?

He's still better than at least half the QBs in the league - so I'm sure some team will take a chance on him, but the potential for him looking like Russell Wilson on that new team is surely there.
Right...which is why I would be wary if I were a team offering them anything.
And am wary as a Packer fan....if they can get something for him (especially to offset the huge cap it)...Im ok moving on. That extension though really cramps the possibilities though. Of course its the NFL and they always figure out how to move money around.

Wow.
--------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase

Exactly right... hence the phrase "falling off a cliff!" In other words, nobody sees it coming, he's HERE one season, and way down there the next.

I saw Rogers on that punter show he does every week... he's still living in year's past... MVP this, MVP that. What has he done for us lately? That's all that matters.

More Chase Stewart.
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
He averaged 5.95 ANY/A in 2022, which was the 20th best. So his decline is already there, by a noticeable margin.
---------------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
There have been many great QBs in NFL history and yet just 3 have been good QBs in their 40s: Brady, Favre, Brees. And those 3 QBs had legendary durability.
Aaron Rodgers?
I don't see any team willing to gamble a ton on Rodgers beating the odds and being a star in 2023.
This is really bad analysis, given that it leaves out the fact that he was hurt, and he lost one of the best receivers in the league.

80% probability Rodgers improves on 5.95 ANY/A in 2023 no matter where he is.

More Chase Stewart.
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
---------------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
Aaron Rodgers?
This is really bad analysis, given that it leaves out the fact that he was hurt, and he lost one of the best receivers in the league.

There are at least 20 teams that would take Rodgers yesterday if he were made available to them. This is not Matt Ryan.

More Chase Stewart.
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
---------------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
Aaron Rodgers?

Agreed, some of the worst "analysis" I have seen

More Chase Stewart.
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
---------------
Football Perspective
@fbgchase
Aaron Rodgers?

Agreed, some of the worst "analysis" I have seen
Yeah, it’s not really analysis. It’s just data without context.

and he lost one of the best receivers in the league.

Plus he had the worst WR group in the NFL. The rookies may have talent but they had no idea what they were doing a lot of the time. The vets Cobb and Watkins have been completely washed for years.

No Qb could have succeeded with that group of WR's in 2022.

and he lost one of the best receivers in the league.

Plus he had the worst WR group in the NFL. The rookies may have talent but they had no idea what they were doing a lot of the time. The vets Cobb and Watkins have been completely washed for years.

No Qb could have succeeded with that group of WR's in 2022.

And let's not forget that he lost arguably the greatest offensive masterminds the NFL has even seen in Nathaniel Hackett....you just can't recover from that massive loss in one season. I'm amazed Rodgers was able to lace up his cleats absent the sagacious and formidable Hackett there to guide him.

Jets hired former Broncos HC Nathaniel Hackett as offensive coordinator.​

Hackett emerged as an unexpected candidate for the Jets' offensive coordinator position after a less-than-stellar stay in Denver. The one-and-done head coach went 4-11 as the Broncos head coach, with his team finishing dead last in points per game (16.9) and 12th in yards per game (325.1). Hackett helped lead the Packers to top-10 offensive seasons in his final two years with the team but has had underwhelming stops in Buffalo and Jacksonville. Now, he'll be tasked with turning around a Jets offense that is loaded with young offensive talent but in desperate need of a quarterback. It's quite possible the hiring of Hackett will be used to help lure Aaron Rodgers to the Big Apple if he opts to return in 2023.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jan 26, 2023, 10:51 AM ET

Jets HC Robert Saleh said the team is "committed to finding a veteran" when asked about the team's plans at quarterback.​

This is the same organization that has Zach Wilson's back "through hell or high water." The Jets announced the hiring of offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett on Thursday, with reporters questioning Saleh about whether or not plans at quarterback were discussed with Hackett. While Saleh said they didn't mention any names, he affirmed the ever-growing narrative that the team would like to bring in another quarterback this offseason. The name most closely tied to Hackett has been Aaron Rodgers, as the two spent three seasons in Green Bay together (2019-2021) and were closely knit throughout last offseason after the Broncos hired Hackett as their head coach.
Jan 26, 2023, 12:19 PM ET

Aaron Rogers would be a perfect fit.
Then he'd have a whole new set of receivers to blame for his bad play.
And he could keep the same basic green color scheme he's used to.

Aaron Rogers would be a perfect fit.
Then he'd have a whole new set of receivers to blame for his bad play.
And he could keep the same basic green color scheme he's used to.
Really hope GB trades him to the Jets. Should have traded him a year ago.
Sets up perfect to be like Favre. Go to the jets. After a year there, he will be in that prime zone if he falters for another year to then be on the radar for the Colts. Don't think he has fallen off enough for them yet.

As for the latest "news"...didn't Denver try that with Hackett to lure Rodgers...didn't seem to work out for them. Though, Hackett is better served as a coordinator for sure.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Packers trading Aaron Rodgers "remains an option" for a number of reasons.​

Schefter reiterates the fact that the Packers have a less-than-ideal salary cap situation as things currently stand. They're currently set to enter 2023 at more than $16 million over the cap. A trade of Rodgers would free up almost $60 million in cap space, giving the Packers a chance to re-sign several impending free agents. He also adds that league sources believe the Packers would like to move on from Rodgers if possible, and that Rodgers is "well aware of the Packers' feelings on the situation." Until this situation is completely solved, speculation will continue to swirl around trade rumors, Rodgers' return to Green Bay, or his outright retirement. Stay tuned for the latest.
SOURCE: ESPN
Jan 29, 2023, 10:47 AM ET

Packers President Mark Murphy expects QB Aaron Rodgers to make a decision on his future before the start of free agency.​

Rodgers plans to attend a post-Super Bowl retreat before making a decision. The Packers haven't given Rodgers a deadline but the expectation is this won't be a repeat of last offseason, where Rodgers left the Packers hanging. Rodgers returning and getting traded remains the likeliest outcome. A trade of Rodgers would free up $60 million in cap space.
Feb 10, 2023, 11:23 AM ET

Packers President Mark Murphy expects QB Aaron Rodgers to make a decision on his future before the start of free agency.​

Rodgers plans to attend a post-Super Bowl retreat before making a decision. The Packers haven't given Rodgers a deadline but the expectation is this won't be a repeat of last offseason, where Rodgers left the Packers hanging. Rodgers returning and getting traded remains the likeliest outcome. A trade of Rodgers would free up $60 million in cap space.
Feb 10, 2023, 11:23 AM ET
They say you can get anything you want in Vegas. Maybe a dark room with a mini fridge stocked with magic mushrooms?

Aaron Rodgers is a stud and has won the MVP 2 of the last 3 years

So he wants to sit in silence to contemplate a big decision. The horror!

All good things come to an end. Soon it will be, "Aaron Rogers is a stud and has won the MVP 2 of the last 4 years, then 5, then 6, 7, 8, 9..."

Studs don't go on 20+ game streaks without throwing for 300+ in this day and age of easy QB'ing. It almost doesn't seem possible.

Aaron Rodgers is a stud and has won the MVP 2 of the last 3 years

So he wants to sit in silence to contemplate a big decision. The horror!
It's not about what he's done in the past, but being fair to the team because whether he continues to play or not (and whether that's on the Packers) has big time cap implications for them. Another week or so isn't a big deal, but the longer it drags out, the more it may hamstring the team.

Users who are viewing this thread