What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (4 Viewers)

I think he came across well. He also basically admitted the Packers don’t want him anymore.
Well…thats definitely his side. And while Im sure there is some of that. There has also seemed to have been him wanting to move on some too. And some of their wanting to move on with Love is a tiring of having their moves and offfseason so dictated by one player. Cant blame either the team or him on this. A good time to move on for both.

I think he came across well. He also basically admitted the Packers don’t want him anymore.
Well…thats definitely his side. And while Im sure there is some of that. There has also seemed to have been him wanting to move on some too. And some of their wanting to move on with Love is a tiring of having their moves and offfseason so dictated by one player. Cant blame either the team or him on this. A good time to move on for both.
Just make it end please before he's on again next week. 1st this year, 2nd next year. Boom deal.

Maybe the Jets are now 3rd in the AFC East?
9-8, miss the Playoffs

KC-Cinci-Buff-South/Jax
LAC/Balt/Mia/Denver w/Payton
Where is New York on this list?
They only get in by wildcard IMO and it's going to get crowded.
Lazard and Cobb, seriously? Not a good use of resources to get started with

Sincerely,
Biased Phinsfan

9-8, miss the Playoffs

KC-Cinci-Buff-South/Jax

Sincerely,
Biased Phinsfan
The Jets were 7-10 last year and they significantly improved their worst position from 2022, and the most important position. Miami got a lot better at CB and LB coverage. I think they will compete for the AFC east with BUF and MIA (if Tua stays healthy). Looks like NE will get an impact vet WR, but still not compete with the other teams.

Footballguys Reaction - Rodgers Intends To Play For Jets

Fantasy Football Impact​

Rodgers and every Jets skill player will see a boost in draft position. Rodgers gets better weapons. The Jets skill players get a perceived quarterback upgrade.

Rodgers is currently getting drafted as the QB18, and this transaction probably pushes him closer to the top-12. Finishing as 2020’s QB3, 2021’s QB6, and 2022’s QB23 demonstrate a downward trend and a wide range of possible outcomes.

Wilson is currently the WR10, but drafters could push him ahead of Amon-Ra St. Brown or CeeDee Lamb due to this news. Quarterback concerns may push Cooper Kupp and Davante Adams down, meaning Wilson could creep into the second round by this summer. Second-year receivers coming off great rookie seasons have proved to be solid investments over the last few seasons. Because of that, Wilson will be drafted dangerously close to his ceiling.

Much of Hall’s ADP will be reliant on news about his injury recovery. One camp highlight of him cutting on the field will likely push him to the back of the first round. But news of a setback could cause panic.

As for Lazard, Moore, Davis, and Conklin? They'll likely creep up from their current draft positions while staying in the mid-rounds. Moore's athleticism gives the highest ceiling of the bunch. And while Lazard doesn't have too high of a ceiling, his role as a red-zone target should allow for some useable weeks. He makes for a safe-but-boring mid-round target. Davis and Conklin likely only find fantasy relevance if Rodgers returns to MVP form.

The Fantasy Fallout​

After three years of riding pine, all signs indicate Jordan Love being the Packers’ 2023 starter. Love, a former first-round pick, has a huge arm and threw for nearly 7,000 yards in his final two seasons at Utah State. Like Rodgers before him, and Brett Favre before Rodgers, the hope is that a few developmental years on the bench can help Love seize his opportunity as a starter. While Love has some intriguing upside (even in single-quarterback leagues), it’s hard to speculate what the Packers’ offense will look like in 2023.

With Allen Lazard also in New York, the stage is set for Christian Watson to run away with the WR1 job. In moments during his rookie season, Watson looked incredible, scoring eight touchdowns between Week 10 and 13. His combination of size and speed combined with Love’s big arm could set the stage for an electric connection.

If the offense sputters, that would obviously be bad for Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. The Packers have a few high-end talents in Watson, Jones, and Dillon but are bereft of depth. The team still has about $24M in cap space and will likely add to their pass-catching room soon.

Much like the Jets’ fate lies in the hands of Aaron Rodgers, the Packers will hope that Love can keep their offense churning.

So what does this all mean for Aaron Rodgers and the Jets?​

With the acquisition of Rodgers (and Lazard), the Jets have stated that they are looking to win now. Because they spent their remaining salary cap on Rodgers, they won't do much else in free agency. But they hold the 13th and 44th picks in this year's Draft. Don't be surprised if they spend those picks on another receiver or an offensive lineman to beef up what they hope to be an explosive offense. A rookie receiver with first- or second-round draft capital would immediately be relevant in fantasy.

Aaron Rodgers and Jets players should be drafted with cautious optimism. While daydreaming about Peyton Manning in Denver, Tom Brady in Tampa Bay, and Matthew Stafford in Los Angeles, don’t forget about Russell Wilson in Denver.

This guy is a handful :lol:
Looking forward to Rodgers+New York tabloid sports coverage.

I actually don't think it'll be a complete train wreck in terms of media coverage because it takes two to tango, and I am not sure Rodgers could ever be bothered by what NY media says about him. This guy truly don't give a ****, and I mean that a compliment.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe confirms the Raiders explored a trade for Aaron Rodgers before signing Jimmy Garoppolo.

Rodgers himself first broke the news during his meandering Wednesday appearance on The Pat McAfee Show. "The Raiders did indeed call the Packers to check on Aaron Rodgers' availability this offseason, per sources," Howe reported. "But when a trade couldn't come together, the Raiders signed Jimmy Garoppolo and Rodgers is now on the verge of a trade to the Jets." Rodgers' market has been a bit smaller than expected, but that is due in part to the fact there aren't many teams that could engineer a trade, while Rodgers would have to approve any move. Hence, his 2023 now appears down to the Jets or retirement.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:05 PM ET

"I made it clear my intention was to play and to play for the New York Jets, and I haven't been holding anything up."

I agree this looks done, but I get a little bit of an "I've been immunized" vibe from that.

Footballguys Reaction - Rodgers Intends To Play For Jets

Don't be surprised if they spend those picks on another receiver or an offensive lineman to beef up what they hope to be an explosive offense.​

I'd be pretty surprised if they drafted a WR with one of their first two picks. Corey Davis may be in the package going to Green Bay, but even without him their top 3 WRs would be Garret Wilson. Alan Lazard and Elijah Moore - and they still have Denzel Mims and may need to sign Randall Cobb for the Prince of Darkness. They also have two good pass catching TEs in Conklin and Umozoh.

This guy is a handful :lol:
Looking forward to Rodgers+New York tabloid sports coverage.

I actually don't think it'll be a complete train wreck in terms of media coverage because it takes two to tango, and I am not sure Rodgers could ever be bothered by what NY media says about him. This guy truly don't give a ****, and I mean that a compliment.
Heard Mike Francesa or whatever that blowhards name is and he was already sort of ready to bury Rodgers...that's what the media does there though.

I think you are right, as insufferable as Rodgers is he doesn't give a ****. All pro athletes need a lot of that, Rodgers just loves to tell us all about it which is different. Guy thinks he is like some modern Plato.

9-8, miss the Playoffs

KC-Cinci-Buff-South/Jax

Sincerely,
Biased Phinsfan
They are probably the best team in the NFL. They are if Rogers us even close to the 2021 version.

I guess the trade details between the two teams may not be entirely worked out? Seems really an odd situation if that is the case. There’s pretty much no way back for either team at this point so would expect whatever the sticking points are to be worked out very soon.

I guess the trade details between the two teams may not be entirely worked out? Seems really an odd situation if that is the case. There’s pretty much no way back for either team at this point so would expect whatever the sticking points are to be worked out very soon.
I wish more of the discussion was about trade compensation and not other fluff that media keeps throwing out there. I think it could be an interesting contract structure with the initial value being 2 2nd round picks (24 and 25) that could each become a 1st round pick if NYJ make the playoffs each of the next 2 seasons. Something like that would be fascinating.

They are probably the best team in the NFL. They are if Rogers us even close to the 2021 version.
I wouldn't go that far, but you're take is probably closer to reality. The AFC is just so stacked though so it's hard to put the Jets ahead of KC, Buffalo and Cincinnati - I'd place the Jets in the group just behind but could make a jump like San Diego and Baltimore.

I wish more of the discussion was about trade compensation and not other fluff that media keeps throwing out there. I think it could be an interesting contract structure with the initial value being 2 2nd round picks (24 and 25) that could each become a 1st round pick if NYJ make the playoffs each of the next 2 seasons. Something like that would be fascinating.
The rumor a short while back was a 2023 second and a 2024 third that could escalate to a first if the Jets go deep in the playoffs. I think GB maybe now thinks they have some leverage and are pushing for more - but I think it ends up somewhere in that range.

The rumor a short while back was a 2023 second and a 2024 third that could escalate to a first if the Jets go deep in the playoffs. I think GB maybe now thinks they have some leverage and are pushing for more - but I think it ends up somewhere in that range.

If they are truly still at the point where there is no agreement on the picks being traded, that’s just really strange. I think it’s unlikely, but if that is the case, the relative leverage between the two teams is an interesting question. The Packers can’t possibly keep him, nor can they cut him, and there’s only one destination he can be traded to. At the same time, the Jets bed is made - there doesn’t seem to be a plan B available for them at this point.

Well...other than trying to get pieces in this year's draft, seems its more a rush to the Jets than the Packers.
Alot of it will revolve around how much a hit they take for Rodgers contract. But the way they structured it...his bonus doesn't pay out til later in the year so they aren't under a time constraint to get it done from that standpoint.

The other factors being discussed are whether the Packers eat some of his massive 2023 comp, and potential players being included in addition to draft picks. Nothing is easy with this guy but I suppose he’s worth it.

I wouldn't go that far, but you're take is probably closer to reality. The AFC is just so stacked though so it's hard to put the Jets ahead of KC, Buffalo and Cincinnati - I'd place the Jets in the group just behind but could make a jump like San Diego and Baltimore.
A good QB can add something like 6 wins to a team. The Jets QB play was subtracting wins from their total. They also had a ton of OL injuries. 13 wins sounds very reasonable

The other factors being discussed are whether the Packers eat some of his massive 2023 comp, and potential players being included in addition to draft picks. Nothing is easy with this guy but I suppose he’s worth it.
I would assume Mims or Moore goes to GB. The Jets don't seem to want either of them.

If they are truly still at the point where there is no agreement on the picks being traded, that’s just really strange. I think it’s unlikely, but if that is the case, the relative leverage between the two teams is an interesting question. The Packers can’t possibly keep him, nor can they cut him, and there’s only one destination he can be traded to. At the same time, the Jets bed is made - there doesn’t seem to be a plan B available for them at this point.
I've said it for a while but neither team really has leverage because they both want the same thing. I'm sure they have a framework but it's getting tweaked a little.

A good QB can add something like 6 wins to a team. The Jets QB play was subtracting wins from their total. They also had a ton of OL injuries. 13 wins sounds very reasonable
The Jets have a tough schedule. Good divisional opponents twice, plus KC, PHI, DAL, LAC, NYG, CLE with Watson. The 90% range of wins is more like 9-12.
basically nobody is ever expected to win 13 games

Cynthia Frelund projects he's worth 5.8 wins
Historically, he holds onto the ball and takes alot of sacks and hits. This is not Brady. His injury risk at age 39-40 needs to be taken into account. GB had a great run game too.

The big question for Rodgers is what effect his broken thumb had last season, as well as other reasons for his drop-off in production, as opposed to the notion that he's just getting older and less effective. It seems pretty clear a broken thumb and losing #17 is going to have a big effect on a quarterback's play, but at the same time he didn't seem to be himself. He was still good for one or two jaw-dropping plays or throws each game, but also never hit 300 yards in a game, had way more bad throws, interceptions and missed plays than we're used to seeing. If he goes to NY, I think the team is going to want him to participate in OTA and pre-season, something he hasn't done for several years now in Green Bay. He's got a big chip on his shoulder right now, which is great news for his new team, but I still don't see him ever doing extra off-season work with his receivers like Mahomes did last summer.

Cynthia Frelund projects he's worth 5.8 wins
Historically, he holds onto the ball and takes alot of sacks and hits. This is not Brady. His injury risk at age 39-40 needs to be taken into account. GB had a great run game too.

Whoa. Just had a flashback to when people on this site circa 2009 were arguing Philip Rivers was a better QB due to Rodgers lower Yds/Att ratio, taking too many sacks etc.. Fun times.

He'll just go on the McAfee show each Tuesday to talk about his media coverage.

Agree 100%. Rodgers seems spiteful enough to go back to GB to collect his money if that Jets trade falls through. I don't think the Packers have as much leverage here as many think they need Rodgers gone.

Seems that he is still butt hurt that the current administration drafted Love in 2020. For as much as he professes to be "it is what it is" kinda guy, he didn't come across that way in respect to the GB's decision to find his replacement. It's just so ironic that Rodgers was on the other side of it when the club had deal with Favre's successor.

Seems that he is still butt hurt that the current administration drafted Love in 2020. For as much as he professes to be "it is what it is" kinda guy, he didn't come across that way in respect to the GB's decision to find his replacement. It's just so ironic that Rodgers was on the other side of it when the club had deal with Favre's successor.
Im pretty sure he was mad they drafted Love because they had an excellent team and wasted a 1st on a player who couldnt help. 12 years now since they drafted an offensive player in the first round other than Love??

Users who are viewing this thread