What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Strong (1 Viewer)

Interestingly as an UDFA he may have a more clear path to playing time than some of the drafted rookies.
This is something that bothers me - what kind of team do the eagles want to be?   Strong can't run a Hurts offense and neither can Minshew (who's still there btw), so what exactly is plan B if Hurts gets hurt?  Skelton play book?  Or do they install the plays the coaches actually want to run?

Yeah, apparently a team doctor cleared his knee medically, so it’s about his “maturity” which could mean a variety of things. 

I can’t believe he went undrafted.
Same here.

I thought SEA had a great draft, but you can't convince me that they were better off drafting not one but TWO WR's that will have a tough time making their roster..... instead of a QB that might even start by the end of the season competing with Geno/Lock.

Is HOU so sure that Mills will be their starter going forward they couldn't possibly use a developmental backup behind him just in case? For that matter it's completely bizarre to me that HOU could have the following QB room and it would cost them next to nothing other than a little salary cap space: Maker Mayfield, David Mills, Sam Howell and Carson Strong on their practice squad. Why wouldn't they do that?

Yeah - from what I’ve seen, he’s better than Pickett. There has to be something with how he interviewed, or a dead hooker & blow story or something. 
Strong is the only QB in this class that looked like an NFL QB. He has the best arm by far out of this group with great accuracy. He can gun it and make every throw. But it sounds like the knee issues kept him undrafted and he'll need a long term maintenance plan to keep it healthy. 

This is something that bothers me - what kind of team do the eagles want to be?   Strong can't run a Hurts offense and neither can Minshew (who's still there btw), so what exactly is plan B if Hurts gets hurt?  Skelton play book?  Or do they install the plays the coaches actually want to run?
That's what I don't get. I'm not an Eagles fan but those are essentially 3 QBs that are all totally different. And I know Minshew is considered a quality QB2, but he can't make all the throws which really limits what an offense can do. And Strong has zero mobility. The coaches would have to implement 3 completely different game plans depending on who was the starter. 

The knee is definitely an issue, but Strong couldn't have come off any worse in the pre-draft process. He's got game, but the combination of the knee, his character, & a surprising lack of football IQ really puts a damper on his chances.

I think he was a nice UDFA signing, though.

I don't think Hurt's style is what Nick Siriani WANTS to use - it's what he HAS to use, because thats who Hurts is.  He tried to run a different offense to start the year but had to toss it. I suspect he's going to try to push Hurts to be a much better passer this year...either way seems to be a great situation for Strong (besides the losing out on $$) since he'll have no pressure and be able to learn the playbook and get some experience being around NFL talent. And if he fails its no loss for the Eagles.

babydemon90 said:
I don't think Hurt's style is what Nick Siriani WANTS to use - it's what he HAS to use, because thats who Hurts is.  He tried to run a different offense to start the year but had to toss it. I suspect he's going to try to push Hurts to be a much better passer this year...either way seems to be a great situation for Strong (besides the losing out on $$) since he'll have no pressure and be able to learn the playbook and get some experience being around NFL talent. And if he fails its no loss for the Eagles.
So basically the eagles want Hurts to fail by playing to his weaknesses.

So basically the eagles want Hurts to fail by playing to his weaknesses.
No. The Eagles want to win games. If Hurts can't pass the ball better, they won't beat good teams. If Hurt's weakness is 'can't pass the ball effectively' then this will be his last season starting for the Eagles. But they WANT him to improve. 

"Carson Strong also cut by the Eagles. Strong was bad in camp and couldn't get on the field right away in the fourth quarter of a preseason game with his team losing 41-3. Perhaps the Eagles try to get him on the PS."

-Per Jeff Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread