What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Case Keenum, HOU (1 Viewer)

Tried to play him on my 1-5 dynasty team over J. Cutler. League accused me of tanking for top pick and made me switch back

Rotoworld:

Texans QB coach Karl Dorrell says Case Keenum's Week 7 start against the Chiefs "will shed light about where do you go beyond this point."
So Keenum has a chance to run with the job if he plays well. "That’s the best-case scenario. We’d love to put ourselves in that position," Dorrell said when asked if Keenum could make the QB decision a tough one. The chances of Keenum lighting up the stat sheet are slim against a terrifying Kansas City defense. The Texans have internally compared Keenum to Jake Plummer, whom coach Gary Kubiak was with in Denver. Houston is desperate for a spark.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Case Keenum like Doug Flutie, Texans QBs coach saysBy Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

The Houston Texans surprised some when they opted to start Case Keenum this week against the Kansas City Chiefs.

However, Texans quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell doesn't view it as a shock, and he believes Keenum has the skill set to succeed at the NFL level.

Dorrell described Keenum as energetic and "bouncy" multiple times to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and gushed about the 6-foot-1 quarterback's vision, anticipation and coverage recognition. Dorrell said Keenum's attributes outweigh any size concerns.

"I think there's uniqueness to guys like him, don't necessarily have the physical stature that you're looking for, but can make up for it in other ways with some other skills or vision or being able to move," Dorrell told Rapoport. "That's usually the case from guys that are his size, so he was able to really ... In the same mindset with Doug Flutie."

Dorrell said Keenum very well could capture the starting gig for the future with a solid performance against one of the NFL's best defenses.

"That's the best-case scenario," Dorrell said. "We'd love to put ourselves in that position. Right now, we're just trying to get a win."

The Texans might consider it a win if the quarterback doesn't turn the ball over.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" previewed every Week 7 game.

Tried to play him on my 1-5 dynasty team over J. Cutler. League accused me of tanking for top pick and made me switch back
Cutler is probably close to a top five playToday. I believe you attempted to break the rule of "start your Studs"

But I would consider discussing a play-off for the bottom teams to help determine draft-order ie. Top six teams draft last based on how they win/lose Bottom six draft first based on how they win/lose ex. 1-5 means drafting second or worse if the 2-4 team beats you during play-offs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd tell them that if they want to play your team, they can take it over for the rest of the year if they want to play YOUR team so bad and quit.

There are very few excuses for veto'ing trades. There are even fewer excuses for forcing someone to make lineup changes.

The start of this one looks good for you - hopefully you'll be able to shove this in their ##### faces at the end of the week and tell them to mind their own business.

Just my honest opinion. :)

I'd tell them that if they want to play your team, they can take it over for the rest of the year if they want to play YOUR team so bad and quit.There are very few excuses for veto'ing trades. There are even fewer excuses for forcing someone to make lineup changes.

The start of this one looks good for you - hopefully you'll be able to shove this in their ##### faces at the end of the week and tell them to mind their own business.

It doesn't matter that Cutler was injured, there was no way to know that would happen.A 1-5 team starting Keenum vs. the KC DEF, and benching Cutler vs. the WAS DEF, is clearly trying to tank.

He should get another start win or lose, after the way he played. I did stash him in dynasty, I also grabbed Foles and started him. Moral of the story, one game doesn't mean crap.

towney said:
I'm sold. Kid has poise on top of poise.
Didn't Foles have this too last week.
I have no idea - didn't watch Foles last week.Keenum was calm and aware of pressure in an extremely hostile environment. He was hitting guys in stride and making multiple reads. He looked like an NFL starter to me.

Great game considering the opponent. I wanted him to win. "Deserve" is too strong a word, what happens, happens, but he played well . . . I can't see them putting in a healthy Schaub for him ROS.

Great game considering the opponent. I wanted him to win. "Deserve" is too strong a word, what happens, happens, but he played well . . . I can't see them putting in a healthy Schaub for him ROS.
No reason to IMO. I want to see what he does against an average defense that has game take of him.

He played well in the worst of conditions. He deserves to continue his audition. With the Colts winning against Denver, Houston's season is effectively over, its time to evaluate guys like Keenum. Besides if Kubiak trots out Schaub after Keenum showed well, the fans are going to burn his house down.

I only watched a little of the game but my concern is that he did a lot of scrambling around and held onto the ball a very long time to make some plays. Is this something teams will see on film and make plays on him? A couple of the plays it almost seemed like the Chiefs relaxed a little because they thought he was going to throw the ball away and he didn't.

Thats because they are used to scouting Matt Schaub who will either throw the ball away or fetal up. Keenum actually tries to make a play which is why he needs to keep playing.

Hate to say I told you so but good to see some of you got on the Case train cheaply when I originally posted this thread. Dude is a gamer.

Tried to flip him for a 1st ....best I got back was a 2nd (in 2 years 2015)and a 5th (2014)next year fit Keenum and IDP Kurt Coleman.... Would you do it? I said no but then I may do it now.

I can't believe that Kubiak is still sitting on the fence. Texans fan will go crazy if Kubiak starts Schaub again.

I dont think the team would respond well to Schaub being reinserted either but who knows....Kubiak shoulda started this kid at home a week earlier against the Rams in a better environment but i thought he held his own....doesnt help having the Fat Predator Derek Newton playing RT

Tried to flip him for a 1st ....best I got back was a 2nd (in 2 years 2015)and a 5th (2014)next year fit Keenum and IDP Kurt Coleman.... Would you do it? I said no but then I may do it now.
I got a first, but only because it's a 32 team salary cap league and his salary is $1. I was lucky enough to pick him up two weeks ago based solely on an article stating the team needed to give him a chance.

Wouldn't have dealt him, but with Peyton, I wouldn't start him ever. I don't plan on giving up Peyton until he retires.

Picked him up for free in my superflex dynasty. No offers yet but I might send some out for a 1st to some QB needy teams. It's a devy league, so 1sts are weakened.

I can't believe that Kubiak is still sitting on the fence. Texans fan will go crazy if Kubiak starts Schaub again.
We all know Aggies aren't the sharpest tools in the shed but damn, Kubiak needs to take his head out of Schaub's rectum and see the light.

Any new info on who starts. I know it's a bye week so not a lot coming out of Houston. I am in a start two qb league. I'm wondering if I should cut all ties with Shaub. Any homer info would be great.

dallas428 said:
Any new info on who starts. I know it's a bye week so not a lot coming out of Houston. I am in a start two qb league. I'm wondering if I should cut all ties with Shaub. Any homer info would be great.
All signs point to Keenam. Kubiak is an Aggie but he's not a complete fool.

dallas428 said:
All signs point to Keenam. Kubiak is an Aggie but he's not a complete fool.
Very impressed with Keenum, especially considering it was his first career start. Stash him on your roster in 12-14 team leagues.

He makes smart decisions and has acute field awareness. Schaub's days as a starting QB in Houston may be over, imo.

I'd tell them that if they want to play your team, they can take it over for the rest of the year if they want to play YOUR team so bad and quit.There are very few excuses for veto'ing trades. There are even fewer excuses for forcing someone to make lineup changes.

It doesn't matter that Cutler was injured, there was no way to know that would happen.A 1-5 team starting Keenum vs. the KC DEF, and benching Cutler vs. the WAS DEF, is clearly trying to tank.
They ended up making me start Cutler and I lost because of it. Keemun would have got me a 2 point win. Its all good though as Im the front runner for the top rookie pick next year. and to be honest if I was 5-1 instead of 1-5 I would have started Cutler as i would have thought it would be too risky to start Keenum. But I still dont think the league should have made me switch, its not like Cutler was winning me any weeks, just trying to switch stuff up. They were both starting QBs and anything can happen. Houston was a big underdog so Keenum had a good chance for garbage time points and he is also a decent runner which adds a lot of points in my league. It would be different if I started a backup RB like Turbin over a guy like L. McCoy, but Keenum was a starting QB trying to prove himself with his 1st start in the NFL, so in my opinion he had a decent chance of doing well for fantasy.

They ended up making me start Cutler and I lost because of it. Keemun would have got me a 2 point win. Its all good though as Im the front runner for the top rookie pick next year. and to be honest if I was 5-1 instead of 1-5 I would have started Cutler as i would have thought it would be too risky to start Keenum. But I still dont think the league should have made me switch, its not like Cutler was winning me any weeks, just trying to switch stuff up. They were both starting QBs and anything can happen. Houston was a big underdog so Keenum had a good chance for garbage time points and he is also a decent runner which adds a lot of points in my league. It would be different if I started a backup RB like Turbin over a guy like L. McCoy, but Keenum was a starting QB trying to prove himself with his 1st start in the NFL, so in my opinion he had a decent chance of doing well for fantasy.
Honestly, if you're making decisions based on record (as opposed to how you think your team will do this week -sometimes a desperation move makes sense), you create the appearance of tanking despite how it works out.

Dude, you were tanking. You switched from (prospectively) a top-5 play to a bottom-2 play. The league acted properly.

Dude, you were tanking. You switched from (prospectively) a top-5 play to a bottom-2 play. The league acted properly.
oh bull####

he was swinging for the fences due his 1-5 record

he should rub that league's nose in it.

the league intervened, changed the outcome of the game, and now their season is tainted,

oh bull####

the league intervened, changed the outcome of the game, and now their season is tainted,
He wasn't "swinging for the fences". He admittedly thought Cutler was the better play. This isn't real football. He wasn't going to play keenum to "spark" his team.

Unless your league rules prohibit tanking it is crappy that they changed your lineup and justice was served when you lost because they forced you to start Cutler. Your job is to make your team as good as possible, once you realize you can't win it is time to build for next year. That is what you were doing by putting in a legal lineup that would probably lose, and in return you receive a higher draft pick to trade or draft a player to help your team next year.

oh bull####

I agree. And I'm wondering what kind of ramifications this will have to the rest of the league in the end considering the team he was playing has a W when they should have had an L.

Unless your league rules prohibit tanking it is crappy that they changed your lineup and justice was served when you lost because they forced you to start Cutler. Your job is to make your team as good as possible, once you realize you can't win it is time to build for next year. That is what you were doing by putting in a legal lineup that would probably lose, and in return you receive a higher draft pick to trade or draft a player to help your team next year.
I take it for granted they have the no-tank rule, based on the tone of OP. I support no-tank rules, else the league becomes a farce around midseason.

Users who are viewing this thread